[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
TALKBACK: Godzilla (2014) - (OBVIOUS SPOILER DISCUSSION) • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

TALKBACK: Godzilla (2014) - (OBVIOUS SPOILER DISCUSSION)

This is the place to discuss Legendary Pictures' Godzilla film and upcoming sequels, as well as Kong: Skull Island and the upcoming Godzilla vs. Kong!! Let everyone know what you think and discuss your thoughts and ideas about the upcoming films!!!!

Moderator: Controllers

Re: TALKBACK: Godzilla (2014) - (OBVIOUS SPOILER DISCUSSION)

Postby daikaijusaurus » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:24 pm

Found this on Youtube. Pretty cool!

Unfortunately I don't speak French so I have no idea what he's saying at the end. Any French speakers on this board? :D
daikaijusaurus
Godzilla Jr.

Postby EricDent » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:17 am

So I watched the Blu-Ray version today, after seeing it in the theater, I bought the combo pack.
At the time I had a smaller TV and only a DVD player.

The DVD is insanely DARK, like you can't see ANYTHING during the last fight...
The Blu-Ray is a LOT better and is pretty much the same as in the theater.

Still kinda wonder just how Godzilla moves so darn quietly...

Still also hoping for some sort of directors cut, with the Akira Takarada part in there (unless he is a blink and you miss him thing?)
Toho's Godzilla Will Live Forever!
EricDent
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Gojira-2000 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:47 am

Gojira-2000
Godzilla Jr.

Postby Specium Ray » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:57 pm

Specium Ray
Godzilla Jr.

Postby lhb412 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:45 pm

There was much discussion about this when the Blu-Ray came out. I think we're better off adjusting the brightness on our sets than figuring out which version has the most "correct" picture.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:43 am

Legendary should have used this for the .
+
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:43 pm

In response to all the nitpicky criticisms of movies one brave soul has started CinemaWins on Youtube, where he lists the stuff he likes about the movie. Yes, there's a whole lot of awesome stuff in Godzilla '14.

This movie gets ragged on way too much. I was at a guy's house a few months ago fixing some furniture we'd delivered to him, and as I'm there we start talking and he's a huge nerd and eventually I bring up that I'm a huge Godzilla fan and he said something like "What about that last Godzilla movie - that hardly had Godzilla in it?!" First of all, it was obvious this guy was just parroting what he'd heard somewhere and I responded pretty simply with a "I love monsters, and I was okay with most of the movie building up the new opponent monsters and saving Godzilla for the battle at the end."
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:26 pm

Just thought about something: after seeing (and loving) Shin Godzilla I'm real happy we got to see both sides of Godzilla in the Hollywood and Toho films. No, not the obvious protagonist and antagonist versions - but rather the intelligent Godzilla and the unknowable Godzilla. Shin Godzilla just moves forward and reacts to things (lashing out when threatened), but we see the Legendary Godzilla think and have emotions.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby tbeasley » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:14 pm

I think both accomplished their intended goals. 2014 had to reestablish in peoples' minds internationally what he is in the Japanese films, which is a big, mean radioactive dinosaur. Going with the indifferent, force of nature Godzilla was a smart move because he can be destructive while also a protector by default because he takes care of the really bad monsters. Basically the type of Godzilla we've seen more or less from Toho since they brought him back in 84, but not something we've seen in an American movie before so it's a nice 'default' personality for him to have.

But with Shin, Toho has to prove Japan still has something to say with Godzilla in a world where multiple franchises are going on at the same time. So contrasting the 'normal' Legendary version with a nightmarish take on the character makes sense. It's going to be interesting to compare and contrast the character now that we have US, Japanese and animated Japanese versions all at once.
~ Tyler

Exterminate all rational thought.
tbeasley
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Gojira07 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:09 pm

Got home last night to find this movie on TBS. During the climax, I know there was a lot of discussion of the darkness of the blu-ray - but wow, the broadcast version of this film is unwatchable. I turned it off, its void of all contrast. If you didn't know what was happening during the monster scenes, you would be completely confused. It almost looked like the entire movie was happening behind a smoke screen.
Gojira07
Baby Godzilla

Postby Gojira-2000 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:34 pm

Yeah it's a shame it didn't come out as clear as in some of these shots:

And a nice breakdown by MPC:

Gojira-2000
Godzilla Jr.

Postby XvGojira » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:45 pm

Seeing a brighter version of kiss of death shot, I noticed it was kind of bloody. I wonder if they had to kind of censor it to keep a PG-13 raiting.
XvGojira
Burning Godzilla

Postby canofhumdingers » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:58 pm

Yeah, I remember noticing that when I watched the bonus features (where the clips are actually bright enough to see what the heck is going on).

I know it's a dead horse at this point, but I swear the BD transfer has to be a mistake. But at least it's sorta correctable. I found using my "Toho transfer" tv settings (the ones I use to compensate for Japanese sourced video, which has different calibration than US video) makes the BD much more watchable. And actually, even the factory "torch mode" (vivid or something similar on the preset calibration selections) looks pretty good... maybe even better than the "Toho" settings. Just remember to turn torch mode off after the movie... it'll make everything else look AWFUL and might wear out your tv faster.
canofhumdingers
Burning Godzilla

Postby william newell » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:47 pm

I was watching this on TNT today and am of the opinion that they must have done something to clean up and brighten the video on this. This is the first time, since seeing this in the theater, that I was able to clearly see everything. No gray haze, no softening of detail, just a really clear and crisp picture. To make certain it was this particular broadcast, I immediately threw in the Blu-Ray to compare, and, as before, the Blu looked craptastic. As had every broadcast of this I've seen up to now. Anyone have any info on this? Could this be the work of TNT, or could Warners have finally gotten around to fixing the video? And how can I get a copy of this version on Blu-Ray? Here's hoping that this may be a sign of a future re-release...
william newell
Heisei Godzilla

Postby The Shadow » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:17 am

The 3D version of the movie is supposed to look better than the 2D blu-ray, perhaps WB used their 3D home video master when they created this TV version.
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow
Burning Godzilla

Previous

Return to Legendary's MonsterVerse