So assuming this DOES become a new series, will Toho...

This is the place to discuss Legendary Pictures' Godzilla film and upcoming sequels, as well as Kong: Skull Island and the upcoming Godzilla vs. Kong!! Let everyone know what you think and discuss your thoughts and ideas about the upcoming films!!!!

Moderator: Controllers

Re: So assuming this DOES become a new series, will Toho...

Postby mbozzo » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:32 pm

Toho won't do a Godzilla movie unless the Legendary movie is a flop. :P Hopefully, it won't be a flop. :oops:
mbozzo
Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:34 pm

mbozzo wrote:Toho won't do a Godzilla movie unless the Legendary movie is a flop. :P Hopefully, it won't be a flop. :oops:

If the Legendary movie is a flop, Toho DEFINITELY won't make another Godzilla movie for many, many years to come. Why would they if audiences show that they're not willing to pay to see Godzilla?
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Re:

Postby angilas » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:14 am

Jorzilla wrote:
Yeah, it's mostly a visual thing. With some notable exceptions, most of Toho's scripts and characters have been uniformly bland since 84.
Biollante, G2K, GMK, and Final Wars all have interesting characters.[/quote]

I thought Emi Kano and her Great Great x3 Grandfather from King Ghidorah were pretty interesting though their dub voices left much to be desired. The villains were bland though the robot was cool, though having met him at Gfest a decade ago (along with Banno) I may be biased. Indiana Jones rehash and his ex wife were made extra annoying by the dub of it's sequel, the only memorable person from Mechagodzilla 93, Aoki was good for little character wise save comic relief. Space Godzilla may have been the closest look we got at Miki's personality, and Yuri's back story with Gondo from Biollante despite the convoluted timeline made him relatable. And though the side characters weren't super interesting we saw more of them than anyone in MG93. Destroyah kind of gets a pass because of the ton of ground it had to cover and that its just a better film overall. It was good to see Yamane's progeny, though no one else was really fleshed out save the monsters.

So when it comes to characters other than what you mentioned the best we got was GvKG and SG imo, though because of their feelings on the movie most wont recognize it for the latter (yet you did with GFW so maybe I'm wrong). The best thing about GxM, xMG, and xMxMG SOS were the score and the fights. I'm hard pressed to remember anyone save the lead in each, and the cameo by Koizumi and his on screen grandson in the last.
angilas
Heisei Godzilla

Re: Re:

Postby Gojiraknight » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:30 pm

angilas wrote:
Jorzilla wrote:
Yeah, it's mostly a visual thing. With some notable exceptions, most of Toho's scripts and characters have been uniformly bland since 84.
Biollante, G2K, GMK, and Final Wars all have interesting characters.

I think the problem with the characters in the newer Godzilla pictures (1989 onward) is the same problem that exists with most characters in new movies everywhere.

There's more focus on making them interesting than on giving them purpose. Motivations. Goals. Do we really know what Miki Segusa's motivation was, ever? But she was interesting because she was psychic.

Compare her with say, Dr. Serizawa. At face value, he's a bland mad scientist. But because of his motivations, he was compelling and thus memorable.
Monster Zero's "Most Naive Person About 'The Business'" for 7 years running!
Gojiraknight
Heisei Godzilla

Postby angilas » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:39 am

Gojiraknight wrote:
angilas wrote:
Jorzilla wrote:
Biollante, G2K, GMK, and Final Wars all have interesting characters.

I think the problem with the characters in the newer Godzilla pictures (1989 onward) is the same problem that exists with most characters in new movies everywhere.

There's more focus on making them interesting than on giving them purpose. Motivations. Goals. Do we really know what Miki Segusa's motivation was, ever? But she was interesting because she was psychic.

Compare her with say, Dr. Serizawa. At face value, he's a bland mad scientist. But because of his motivations, he was compelling and thus memorable.

The '54 characters in particular are very well done like something from a Greek Tragedy. Miki though her motivation seemed at first to protect the people and explore her powers (as well as her students). Later she develops a bond with the kaiju to some extent, and wants to protect them, especially baby/junior. Having a mind meld kind of explains that. But thats about the extent of it, and its not totally relatable. She's just a compassionate character who seems to want to avoid people getting hurt, be they the monsters, or her bf and yuri in Spacegoji. Still no where near as deep as the 54 characterization but that's an extremely hard bid to match.
angilas
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Gojiraknight » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:55 am

angilas wrote:
The '54 characters in particular are very well done like something from a Greek Tragedy. Miki though her motivation seemed at first to protect the people and explore her powers (as well as her students). Later she develops a bond with the kaiju to some extent, and wants to protect them, especially baby/junior. Having a mind meld kind of explains that. But thats about the extent of it, and its not totally relatable. She's just a compassionate character who seems to want to avoid people getting hurt, be they the monsters, or her bf and yuri in Spacegoji. Still no where near as deep as the 54 characterization but that's an extremely hard bid to match.

See I feel Miki's motivations were pretty malleable based on where the filmmakers wanted to take the plot.

"Say, we need Godzilla to show up here…how we gonna' do it?"

*Silence*

"Ok, fine, we'll just have Miki do some psychic $hit."
Monster Zero's "Most Naive Person About 'The Business'" for 7 years running!
Gojiraknight
Heisei Godzilla

Postby angilas » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:30 am

Gojiraknight wrote:
angilas wrote:

See I feel Miki's motivations were pretty malleable based on where the filmmakers wanted to take the plot.

"Say, we need Godzilla to show up here…how we gonna' do it?"

*Silence*

"Ok, fine, we'll just have Miki do some psychic $hit."

point well taken. She really didnt seem to do much in GvKG and GvMothra except be present and say oh look. Other than sensing Godzilla was still alive and maybe noting what happened with the Dorats both of which they'd have found out anyway, as they would have what was going on with Mothra from the Fairies/Cosmos. In MG93 she has a moral dilemma and I feel her character progresses though that role could have been filled other ways. I mean shes wearing goggles, do you really need a psychic to spot a spinal brain? can't a doctor, vet or paleontologist with eyes do that? The song to calm baby did seem like a plot point as you said and she was the only one who could deliver. Her other 3 appearances though mark her biggest roles with Biollante and Space Godzilla making her truly integral. Destroyah I feel like they could have had Godzilla find Junior without her and had a different reason for his going ashore, like Destroyah seeing him out. But Biollante and Space Godzilla did seem to establish and develop a motivation for her actions.I'd have to give them more of a pass...but 2/6 is kind of bad I suppose.
angilas
Heisei Godzilla

Postby daikaijusaurus » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:59 pm

Although I have no idea what the future holds, I believe that Legendary will have a hit with their Godzilla, enough of a hit to get at least one sequel off the ground. And if this happens, I would be all for Toho doing their own series...BUT only as an anime series.

A Godzilla anime series is something I've wanted to see for a long time, and the possibilities would be endless since they don't have to worry about budget constraints. Although this may never happen, it's something that I think would be totally awesome!
daikaijusaurus
Godzilla Jr.

Postby Hybrid Gojira » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:05 pm

daikaijusaurus wrote:Although I have no idea what the future holds, I believe that Legendary will have a hit with their Godzilla, enough of a hit to get at least one sequel off the ground. And if this happens, I would be all for Toho doing their own series...BUT only as an anime series.

A Godzilla anime series is something I've wanted to see for a long time, and the possibilities would be endless since they don't have to worry about budget constraints. Although this may never happen, it's something that I think would be totally awesome!

If LP manages to green-light a sequel, then I doubt Toho would do anything Godzilla-related on their own...

Though I like the idea for an anime.
Kaiju Transmissions Podcast Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/kaijutransmissionspodcast
Hybrid Gojira
Burning Godzilla

Postby XvGojira » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:13 pm

Hybrid Gojira wrote:If LP manages to green-light a sequel, then I doubt Toho would do anything Godzilla-related on their own...

I've always wanted to see a Godzilla anime, but I could have sworn Toho had a statment years ago about Godzilla was a live action thing and it would only water down the series to make it into an anime, or something.
XvGojira
Burning Godzilla

Postby Hybrid Gojira » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:16 pm

XvGojira wrote:
Hybrid Gojira wrote:If LP manages to green-light a sequel, then I doubt Toho would do anything Godzilla-related on their own...

I've always wanted to see a Godzilla anime, but I could have sworn Toho had a statment years ago about Godzilla was a live action thing and it would only water down the series to make it into an anime, or something.

Yeah, I remember something to that effect.

I enjoy anime so I could easily see Godzilla crossing over if you had the right premise. Besides, if Toho was licensing it you could have some many monsters from which to have Godzilla fight.
Kaiju Transmissions Podcast Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/kaijutransmissionspodcast
Hybrid Gojira
Burning Godzilla

Postby Russzilla » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:12 pm

XvGojira wrote:

Water down the series??? Shiiiiiii! If anything, an anime would just breathe new life into the Godzilla series. With all those monsters on the Toho kaiju roster, the possiblities would be almost endless. That's why I wish they had went on ahead and made that planned Godzilla TV series with G Jr. after Destroyah. That right there also probably would've breathed new life into the franchise with some fresh, new ideas and re-introducing monsters we hadn't seen in years. It would not surprise me to see if the LP Godzilla does pretty well, to see Toho try to find a way to cash in even more on OUR Godzilla's success.
Russzilla
Heisei Godzilla

Postby XvGojira » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:35 pm

Russzilla wrote:Water down the series??? Shiiiiiii! If anything, an anime would just breathe new life into the Godzilla series. With all those monsters on the Toho kaiju roster, the possiblities would be almost endless. That's why I wish they had went on ahead and made that planned Godzilla TV series with G Jr. after Destroyah. That right there also probably would've breathed new life into the franchise with some fresh, new ideas and re-introducing monsters we hadn't seen in years. It would not surprise me to see if the LP Godzilla does pretty well, to see Toho try to find a way to cash in even more on OUR Godzilla's success.

I don't think they said water down, more like Godzilla is always supposed to be done live action in support of the tokusatsu style of film making, or something.

Toho is already cashing in on the success of Legendary's version. They're not going to do anything. Even after Legendary is done with Godzilla, whether it's just one movie, trilogy, or a series, Toho is just going to sit on the property until kaiju becomes a popular movie fad again. Or they get new blood who wants to do something with it, but I'm doubting that. Money talks and that's all Toho will listen to.
XvGojira
Burning Godzilla

Postby Shin_Edda_Robo!!!!! » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:37 am

Someone Fire Thunder Powerbomb Toho through a flaming table in an electrified barbed wire landmine match.

FMW style 8)

Ultraman. Is a Dick. A Big Dick.
Shin_Edda_Robo!!!!!
Burning Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:26 pm

XvGojira wrote:
Russzilla wrote:Water down the series??? Shiiiiiii! If anything, an anime would just breathe new life into the Godzilla series. With all those monsters on the Toho kaiju roster, the possiblities would be almost endless. That's why I wish they had went on ahead and made that planned Godzilla TV series with G Jr. after Destroyah. That right there also probably would've breathed new life into the franchise with some fresh, new ideas and re-introducing monsters we hadn't seen in years. It would not surprise me to see if the LP Godzilla does pretty well, to see Toho try to find a way to cash in even more on OUR Godzilla's success.

I don't think they said water down, more like Godzilla is always supposed to be done live action in support of the tokusatsu style of film making, or something.

Toho is already cashing in on the success of Legendary's version. They're not going to do anything. Even after Legendary is done with Godzilla, whether it's just one movie, trilogy, or a series, Toho is just going to sit on the property until kaiju becomes a popular movie fad again. Or they get new blood who wants to do something with it, but I'm doubting that. Money talks and that's all Toho will listen to.

Yeah, I get hoping Toho will do something, but I don't get THINKING they will. Why do anything and take any financial risk when someone else is willing to take all the risk AND pay you?
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby angilas » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:59 am

Russzilla wrote:
XvGojira wrote:

Water down the series??? Shiiiiiii! If anything, an anime would just breathe new life into the Godzilla series. With all those monsters on the Toho kaiju roster, the possiblities would be almost endless. That's why I wish they had went on ahead and made that planned Godzilla TV series with G Jr. after Destroyah. That right there also probably would've breathed new life into the franchise with some fresh, new ideas and re-introducing monsters we hadn't seen in years. It would not surprise me to see if the LP Godzilla does pretty well, to see Toho try to find a way to cash in even more on OUR Godzilla's success.

Lol if Godzilla Island didn't water down the series I seriously doubt an anime is capable of it. Besides we've had 3 Godzilla cartoons already (including Bambi vs. Godzilla[ though the others are series]) and I've had some ideas for one since childhood as well as video games i'd like to do. Dont care who produces so long as I can use Blue Oyster Cults theme in the OP.
That G Jr. post destroyah series sounds like a cool idea. anymore info on it?
angilas
Heisei Godzilla

Re:

Postby Jorzilla » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:58 pm

Jorzilla wrote:
jellydonut25 wrote:
Jorzilla wrote:If you ask me, it's ETREMELY selfish to think along the lines of, "Toho should hold off on the series INDEFINITELY, because I PERSONALLY don't think they can make QUALITY movies."

But what exactly is the point of a hiatus that long?
the point of a hiatus that long is twofold

1.) Hopefully the people responsible for making shoddy, lazy, rushed films are gone.
2.) If they do the same stuff, and just bring back the same monsters as they always have, at least it's a lengthy enough gap that we don't feel burned out. "oh look...king ghidorah...again...didn't i JUST see this guy?"
In a Godzilla 2, I am 95% certain we will see an American adaption of Rodan, Mothra or King Ghidorah. It's like saying the Joker was overused in Batman, and then hoping that you wouldn't see him in the Nolan films.
sorry to revive this old thread: looking through some past debates now that the new movie is confirmed. Just wanted to say: "Called it!" :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Jorzilla
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Cookie » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:47 pm

This thread is funny to re-read. Its awesome there's 2 concurrent G series'.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer
Cookie
Burning Godzilla

Previous

Return to Legendary's MonsterVerse