Monsters' Director Gareth Edwards will direct Godzilla

This is the place to discuss Legendary Pictures' Godzilla film and upcoming sequels, as well as Kong: Skull Island and the upcoming Godzilla vs. Kong!! Let everyone know what you think and discuss your thoughts and ideas about the upcoming films!!!!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby jamaal7 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:38 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:
jamaal7 wrote:I wonder who Edwards will bring with him-if anyone-from Monsters to work on Godzilla.
if i'm not mistaken, the entire crew of Monsters added up to like 4 people, so he could likely bring anybody he wanted to

Well, if he likes them, then so do I.

I sense that Legendary will not turn this into a film-by-committee-that-must-appeal-to-the-demographics-needed-to-insure-blockbuster-status kind of movie.

My cautious optimism is based on a combination of Legendary's productions and my impression of Edwards as a film maker/artist, as Monsters unfolds in front of me.

Personally, I look forward to being stunned and amazed, amused and wanting more when the credits roll and the lights go up.
“Godzilla is a force. He is not something that can be stopped by human weapons. He is brutal and severe. My Godzilla will be the cruelest and fiercest in the history of the series.â€
jamaal7
Little Godzilla

Postby jamaal7 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:01 pm

Just finished watching Monsters, and I thought the score was simply beautiful.
“Godzilla is a force. He is not something that can be stopped by human weapons. He is brutal and severe. My Godzilla will be the cruelest and fiercest in the history of the series.â€
jamaal7
Little Godzilla

Postby oaklord » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:42 pm

jamaal7 wrote:Just finished watching Monsters, and I thought the score was simply beautiful.

Monsters was really good! Loved the movie and I just want this new Godzilla movie to be fun, A good escape from reality and to not be a movie to take itself to seriously
oaklord
Godzillasaurus

Postby Gojiraknight » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:24 am

jamaal7 wrote:
jellydonut25 wrote:
jamaal7 wrote:I wonder who Edwards will bring with him-if anyone-from Monsters to work on Godzilla.
if i'm not mistaken, the entire crew of Monsters added up to like 4 people, so he could likely bring anybody he wanted to

Well, if he likes them, then so do I.

I sense that Legendary will not turn this into a film-by-committee-that-must-appeal-to-the-demographics-needed-to-insure-blockbuster-status kind of movie.

I agree and everything WB/LP has done so far has warranted this optimism. That doesn't mean the movie won't be horrendous, just that the "powers-that-be" don't want to make a bad movie. Which, odd as it sounds, is a cause for hope in this current blockbuster climate.
Monster Zero's "Most Naive Person About 'The Business'" for 7 years running!
Gojiraknight
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Dai » Sun May 08, 2011 6:13 am

I watched Monsters a couple of days ago. The director certainly has some skill, but one thing bothered me in terms of the angle he might bring to a Godzilla movie. In the end, he depicted his "monsters" as wild animals on the loose. That certainly fit the real world setting of the film, but I think we all remember what happened the last time Godzilla was approached as just a big animal.
Dai
Godzilla

Postby Gojiraknight » Mon May 09, 2011 11:31 am

Dai wrote:I watched Monsters a couple of days ago. The director certainly has some skill, but one thing bothered me in terms of the angle he might bring to a Godzilla movie. In the end, he depicted his "monsters" as wild animals on the loose. That certainly fit the real world setting of the film, but I think we all remember what happened the last time Godzilla was approached as just a big animal.

A big, pregnant (?!?!?!?!?) animal.
Monster Zero's "Most Naive Person About 'The Business'" for 7 years running!
Gojiraknight
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Mon May 09, 2011 1:13 pm

Dai wrote:I watched Monsters a couple of days ago. The director certainly has some skill, but one thing bothered me in terms of the angle he might bring to a Godzilla movie. In the end, he depicted his "monsters" as wild animals on the loose. That certainly fit the real world setting of the film, but I think we all remember what happened the last time Godzilla was approached as just a big animal.

Ishiro Honda always tried to portray his monsters as being more "animal" than "monster" as well, so that approach goes both ways.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby Dai » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:30 pm

MouthForWar wrote:

Ishiro Honda always tried to portray his monsters as being more "animal" than "monster" as well, so that approach goes both ways.

I think directors like Honda and Fukuda tended to portray them as characters rather than animals. If you look at GINO or Monsters, the creatures are defined by the general traits of their species: migration, feeding habits, breeding patterns, etc. When you think of a Toho creature, it's their individual personalities that come forth. Take Gigan, for example. We're not shown how he goes about making Gigan Juniors or what he has for lunch. We're shown that he's cocky and more than a little dense. Kamakuras is a bully. Godzilla himself has been everything from a brave superhero to a sadistic killer, but it's always been individual personality that's defined him. That's what I fear we may lose again in the new movie.
Dai
Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:38 pm

I agree Dai...I think one of the most memorable things about the Godzilla series is that the monsters AREN'T just animals, contrary to what Honda says about the earlier films...the monsters were characters themselves. That's what no other Godzilla series (Hesei, Millenium) has managed to re-create thus far...it's hard to have a series about a creature who has no personaility and is essentially a walking hurricane. It you want to make a franchise, if you want to re-create a character that children love and that you can put on lunch boxes then yes the monsters will need to have human like personalities. Granted, this is an American film, so regardless of what happens, it will have an American vibe to it...even our personable monsters are usually still on the dark and gritty side of things, but it'd be nice if they tried to inject a little character into things. Do I think they will, no. Do I think that it's essential, not really, as I've said, no one has really made Godzilla a character since 1975, which is one reason I simply didn't give a crap that he died in 95...I didn't like or having any feeling really towards the Hesei Godzilla even if I thought he looked cool at the time, my Godzilla was from the 70's. If Godzilla would have died at the end of Terror of MechaGodzilla I would have cried like a little baby...but making Godzilla a bland, personality-less monster works great in a stand alone horror film, but in a series of films, they might find that approach ultimately has its share of problems I think
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Barnzilla » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:30 pm

My main concern is that Godzilla's ties to Japan will be minimized while stomping our side of the globe. Japan should be a profound aspect to the story from beginning to end instead of just a mention.
Barnzilla
Godzilla Jr.

Postby Andrew Nguyen » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:56 am

Barnzilla wrote:My main concern is that Godzilla's ties to Japan will be minimized while stomping our side of the globe. Japan should be a profound aspect to the story from beginning to end instead of just a mention.

It does deserve a mention at least.
I got no problem with anybody who jumps into a Starfury and rides fire! (Babylon 5)
Andrew Nguyen
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:17 am

Barnzilla wrote:My main concern is that Godzilla's ties to Japan will be minimized while stomping our side of the globe. Japan should be a profound aspect to the story from beginning to end instead of just a mention.

I dunno about it being profound. I feel that Godzilla is more historically tied to Japan than geographically. So, maybe Japan's history with Atomic weapons rather than...anything else. Even then, I feel like someone would just be stretching it to make it one of them most important aspect in the story.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:09 am

Monsters director Gareth Edwards talks to MSN
Kerri-Ann Roper wrote:It's the stuff every movie maker dreams of: your movie project is spied by the big guns in Hollywood, snapped up and suddenly you're on the movie map. British director Gareth Edwards knows how this feels, after his 2010 independant sci-fi movie, Monsters, became an overnight success.

Now rumoured to be working on the re-make of Godzilla, MSN Movies sat down to chat to him for a few minutes at the Jameson Empire Done in 60 Seconds global semi-final, which he was judging. The competition challenges aspiring filmmakers to remake any big hit in exactly 60 seconds. No small feat.

Gareth's tight-lipped when it comes to letting any Godzilla details slip, so when asked what he's been up for the past year, says gingerly: "I've been trying to make a film... It's all really good, if you look at people, if I look at people whose careers I've looked to emulate, if you do that IMDB game (of looking at their projects) they do tend to have had a two or three year gap - there's not much you can do about it. There's just a long process before it all goes ahead."

Talking about his own experiences as a young director, he told us: "I guess, in terms of, when I was a film student, and trying to make films, I was always emulating the big films. The first thing I ever did at college was Terminator. The next thing I did was like Cape Fear... So, if you can tell a story in a minute, then it means the story works. You often say to the editor when working, you say 'try and do a one minute version of the film', because it teaches you what you can get rid of."

Another one of the judges in the competition is movie critic Alex Zane, who we grabbed a few minutes with to chat about the movie he'd make in 60 seconds.

"I'd probably try and do Jaws purely because it's my fave film of all time and I have a bath in my house," he quipped.

Talking about movies and being a critic, he said: "It's very mood-depedent watching movies. I've reviewed films badly, I've sat back and hated myself, and gone, you know what it wasn't that bad, you were just in a bad mood. So I have to catch myself. Conversely though, I'll be in a really good mood. Like, you know, the movie MacGruber (a 2010 action comedy). I watched that and I laughed from start to finish."

"I gave it four stars and then it comes out on DVD and I get friends round, to come round and watch it and I put it on, and for about 40 mins people just sat in silence looking at me going 'Is this a joke?' I must just have been giddy with life on the day I saw it first!"

The winner of the Done in 60 Seconds competition is being announced at the Jameson Empire movie awards on Sunday 25th March. MSN Movies will be there on the red carpet bringing you all of the action, news and gossip!
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Destroysall » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:57 am

MekaGojira3k wrote:

I dunno about it being profound. I feel that Godzilla is more historically tied to Japan than geographically. So, maybe Japan's history with Atomic weapons rather than...anything else. Even then, I feel like someone would just be stretching it to make it one of them most important aspect in the story.

I agree. I don't think it would be smart, nor healthy in a way, to have the geographical setting be in Japan from start to finish. Japan should have a small reference in the movie.
uhh...
Destroysall
Burning Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:32 am

mr.negativity wrote:Monsters director Gareth Edwards talks to MSN
Kerri-Ann Roper wrote:It's the stuff every movie maker dreams of: your movie project is spied by the big guns in Hollywood, snapped up and suddenly you're on the movie map. British director Gareth Edwards knows how this feels, after his 2010 independant sci-fi movie, Monsters, became an overnight success.

Now rumoured to be working on the re-make of Godzilla, MSN Movies sat down to chat to him for a few minutes at the Jameson Empire Done in 60 Seconds global semi-final, which he was judging. The competition challenges aspiring filmmakers to remake any big hit in exactly 60 seconds. No small feat.

Gareth's tight-lipped when it comes to letting any Godzilla details slip, so when asked what he's been up for the past year, says gingerly: "I've been trying to make a film... It's all really good, if you look at people, if I look at people whose careers I've looked to emulate, if you do that IMDB game (of looking at their projects) they do tend to have had a two or three year gap - there's not much you can do about it. There's just a long process before it all goes ahead."

Talking about his own experiences as a young director, he told us: "I guess, in terms of, when I was a film student, and trying to make films, I was always emulating the big films. The first thing I ever did at college was Terminator. The next thing I did was like Cape Fear... So, if you can tell a story in a minute, then it means the story works. You often say to the editor when working, you say 'try and do a one minute version of the film', because it teaches you what you can get rid of."

Another one of the judges in the competition is movie critic Alex Zane, who we grabbed a few minutes with to chat about the movie he'd make in 60 seconds.

"I'd probably try and do Jaws purely because it's my fave film of all time and I have a bath in my house," he quipped.

Talking about movies and being a critic, he said: "It's very mood-depedent watching movies. I've reviewed films badly, I've sat back and hated myself, and gone, you know what it wasn't that bad, you were just in a bad mood. So I have to catch myself. Conversely though, I'll be in a really good mood. Like, you know, the movie MacGruber (a 2010 action comedy). I watched that and I laughed from start to finish."

"I gave it four stars and then it comes out on DVD and I get friends round, to come round and watch it and I put it on, and for about 40 mins people just sat in silence looking at me going 'Is this a joke?' I must just have been giddy with life on the day I saw it first!"

The winner of the Done in 60 Seconds competition is being announced at the Jameson Empire movie awards on Sunday 25th March. MSN Movies will be there on the red carpet bringing you all of the action, news and gossip!
Cool stuff. I like the "one minute" part because it makes sense. Never lose sight of the "one minute version" of your story...keep the big picture in mind.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby king_ghidorah » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:07 pm

Actually yeah, that's good advice. I'm going to steal that from now on in my creative writing
FTW
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mrbluehair » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:43 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:
mr.negativity wrote:Monsters director Gareth Edwards talks to MSN

Cool stuff. I like the "one minute" part because it makes sense. Never lose sight of the "one minute version" of your story...keep the big picture in mind.

Like this guy's approach more and more. Do not rush this to make a craptastic film, make it right the first time.
You must show no mercy, nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you... for your greatness will silence them all!
mrbluehair
Heisei Godzilla

Postby angilas » Wed May 02, 2012 11:56 pm

Thats kind of cool. If a movie can be summed up meaningfully in 60 seconds it should mean there is a memorable plot to it more than just randomness and garbage. Optomistic for the film, just hope the score is good as well. Cant ask for John Barry or John Williams, but even the 8-bit rendition of Ifukube's songs is vastly superior to what we got last time a G-film had an outing here (though I was partial to "come with me" moreso for the kashmir sample than puffy spinning in the rain like a damn fool): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYqO6Lb44Ok
Thank You Universal for your Generosity! and SFJ for running these contests!
angilas
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Deathless » Thu May 03, 2012 2:05 pm

mechaghidrah wrote:All I want is 90 minutes or so of Godzilla appearing, destroying cities and fighting another monster. .

I did just this, with my Heisei & Millennium Godzilla & Sinking Of Japan dvd's, my video editing software, and my dvd burner...
...Up From The Depths...
Deathless
Baby Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Tue May 15, 2012 12:52 am

Godzilla And Supercrooks Directors For KAPOW!
Dave Golder wrote:Visitors to KAPOW! – taking place over the weekend of 19 & 20 May at London’s Business Design Centre – will have a chance to hear from two of Hollywood’s hottest current directors, Gareth Edwards (Monsters, the new upcoming Godzilla) and Nacho Vigalondo (Timecrimes, upcoming Supercrooks).

http://kapowcomicconvention.com/
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Sat May 19, 2012 7:43 pm

From CBM:
KAPOW '12: Gareth Edwards Offers GODZILLA Update
"It's going great and I'm genuinely excited about it. We're just working really hard with Legendary, who have been fantastic. Thomas Tull has just been an absolute pleasure and nothing like the experience they warn you about when you go to Hollywood. I can't say much other than I hope that we'll have some proper news soon. So you won't have to wait too long at all."
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Henry88 » Sat May 19, 2012 7:48 pm

mr.negativity wrote:From CBM:
KAPOW '12: Gareth Edwards Offers GODZILLA Update
"It's going great and I'm genuinely excited about it. We're just working really hard with Legendary, who have been fantastic. Thomas Tull has just been an absolute pleasure and nothing like the experience they warn you about when you go to Hollywood. I can't say much other than I hope that we'll have some proper news soon. So you won't have to wait too long at all."

oh good then we can act like proper fanboys again
Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sat May 19, 2012 7:57 pm

won't have to wait too long at all? doubtful.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Henry88 » Sat May 19, 2012 8:14 pm

MekaGojira3k wrote:won't have to wait too long at all? doubtful.

if Mr Edwards says some news is coming soon then it is coming soon.
Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sat May 19, 2012 8:19 pm

Henry88 wrote:
MekaGojira3k wrote:won't have to wait too long at all? doubtful.

if Mr Edwards says some news is coming soon then it is coming soon.

Well, yeah, if he had said that. But haven't most of the updates for this been "I'm really excited, and hopefully I'll have something to say really soon"?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

PreviousNext

Return to Legendary's MonsterVerse