Monsters' Director Gareth Edwards will direct Godzilla

This is the place to discuss Legendary Pictures' Godzilla film and upcoming sequels, as well as Kong: Skull Island and the upcoming Godzilla vs. Kong!! Let everyone know what you think and discuss your thoughts and ideas about the upcoming films!!!!

Moderator: Controllers

Monsters' Director Gareth Edwards will direct Godzilla

Postby mechaghidrah » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:27 pm

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/ ... illa-68246

Godzilla has a director.

Gareth Edwards, the British filmmaker who wrote and directed indie sci-fi movie Monsters, is closing a deal to develop and direct the creature feature for Legendary Pictures, the company that helped produce blockbusters such as Inception and The Dark Knight.

Warner Bros. will co-produce, co-finance and distribute per its deal with Legendary. Legendary's Thomas Tull and Jon Jashni are producing along with Dan Lin, Roy Lee, and Brian Rogers.

Legendary picked up the rights to the giant lizard from Japan’s Toho Co. in March 2010. It was around that time that Edwards’ Monsters made its premiere at SXSW (where WME quickly signed him for representation) before moving on to the Toronto International Film Festival and a U.S. release by Magnet Releasing in October.

The movie, famously made for a budget in the low six figures, took a different tact in its handling of the alien invasion genre. It centered on two characters traveling through a Mexico that is now a quarantine zone due to an alien-monster infestation. The flick slyly showed only parts of the aliens during the course of the movie, with tentacles attacking cars and people during the night, for example, but the gripping climax featured two giants slithering around an abandoned gas station.

The movie got Hollywood ga-ga over the filmmaker, who always intended Monsters to act as a showpiece to attract bigger work, and Legendary execs were no exception. They sought him out, thinking he could be the right man to take their monster into the 21st century.

Edwards will now work with a new yet-to-hired writer on the script. (David Callaham was the original writer.)

Edwards’ Monsters work has won the filmmaker three British Independent Film Awards, including nods for best director, best achievement in production and best technical achievement. It also landed him work with Timur Bekmambetov on an epic sci-fi project that he is writing as a directing vehicle.
mechaghidrah
Little Godzilla

Postby RobD » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:48 pm

Pretty big gig for a new director on the scene.
RobD
Godzilla Jr.

Postby MouthForWar » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:09 pm

I fully support this decision. And it looks like people can stop their (pointless) whining about Callaham writing the script.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby Mac » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:17 pm

MONSTERS was decent, so I feel this is a good choice.
The new Gamera will be worse than Super Monster.
Mac
Heisei Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:34 pm

Talented indie director over studio hack? I fully approve!
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Ooops!

Postby OtiGoji » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:36 pm

Wow, did I pick the wrong picture to badmouth in my MONSTERS review. I hope Gareth Edwards' people have short memories. All I said was there were not many giant monsters in it and the people were probably the "monsters." I remember I liked the movie, which was basically his movie as he was writer director, cinematographer and director of special effects.
His assignment gives me a good feeling.
OtiGoji
Godzilla Jr.

Re: Ooops!

Postby mechaghidrah » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:56 pm

OtiGoji wrote:Wow, did I pick the wrong picture to badmouth in my MONSTERS review. I hope Gareth Edwards' people have short memories. All I said was there were not many giant monsters in it and the people were probably the "monsters." I remember I liked the movie, which was basically his movie as he was writer director, cinematographer and director of special effects.

The fact he was in complete control of MONSTERS gives me some pause, though, since he was clearly more interested in the "human drama" than the actual "monsters" of the title. I could care less about "human drama" in this new Godzilla. Give me more actual monster footage and less boring "human drama."
mechaghidrah
Little Godzilla

Postby Arrow » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:11 pm

mechaghidrah wrote:The fact he was in complete control of MONSTERS gives me some pause, though, since he was clearly more interested in the "human drama" than the actual "monsters" of the title. I could care less about "human drama" in this new Godzilla. Give me more actual monster footage and less boring "human drama."

I've never seen Monsters (I guess I'll catch the DVD when it comes out), but if he can do human drama well then I won't complain. But I couldn't imagine anyone being crazy enough to push Godzilla to the back of his own big-budget reboot. It's his movie, he's the reason why people are going to go to the theaters, of course he should be at the forefront. My concerns are the exact opposite - the film gets so caught up in monster action that it fails to provide a fun human plot that can carry the movie even when Godzilla isn't on-screen. The last thing I want is to sit through painful dialogue and characters who aren't in the least bit sympathetic or interesting or entertaining.
Arrow
Little Godzilla

Postby GaryT » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:24 pm

mechaghidrah wrote:
OtiGoji wrote:Wow, did I pick the wrong picture to badmouth in my MONSTERS review. I hope Gareth Edwards' people have short memories. All I said was there were not many giant monsters in it and the people were probably the "monsters." I remember I liked the movie, which was basically his movie as he was writer director, cinematographer and director of special effects.

The fact he was in complete control of MONSTERS gives me some pause, though, since he was clearly more interested in the "human drama" than the actual "monsters" of the title. I could care less about "human drama" in this new Godzilla. Give me more actual monster footage and less boring "human drama."

MONSTERS was a low-budget film; he couldn't AFFORD lots of monster action, so he was pretty much forced to focus on the humans.

I think MONSTERS was a good effort with some very nice atmosphere, so I find him an interesting choice.
GaryT
Godzilla Jr.

Postby king_ghidorah » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:26 pm

Solid and interesting choice even though I've not see Monsters yet, I like the Indie cred...
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:29 pm

wow.
mechaghidrah wrote:
Borys Kit wrote:Edwards will now work with a new yet-to-hired writer on the script.

I wonder who will help him write the script.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Cookie » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:34 pm

Perfect choice imo. MONSTERS was his FOOT waiting to find the SHOE. He's now found that shoe. The man made a good indie Sci-fi "monster" film with the budget he had.

Good character development is going to happen in the next movie. I'm going to guess that our main characters will be two loved ones in the middle of an epic war between men and Kaiju. We'll get to see plenty of Kaiju battles in the film, but we'll be centered around these characters.

In a world full of Kaiju; kaiju that can't be killed... who would you turn too? The person you love the most. This is what I believe Godzilla 2012 will be about.

And with that, I'm super excited. This is what I've wanted from a Godzilla film... and I believe this is what I've been waiting for.

If they can get Michael Giacchino aboard, I'd be in heaven. He's the man who did the epic score for LOST.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer
Cookie
Burning Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:39 pm

I need to watch Monsters now.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby The Giant Pacific Octopus » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:39 pm

They get some nobody from England who's top grossing film made less than $3 million Worldwide at the box office to handle a big-budget blockbuster film??

Meh, stranger things have happened I suppose.
"The gigantic octopus is a slimy, loathsome creature and one of Tsuburaya's best creations."

STEVE RYFLE from "Japan's Favourite Mon-Star"
The Giant Pacific Octopus
Heisei Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:40 pm

Did this guy really make Monsters for less than a million dollars? A SyFy original movie costs about a million.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Cookie » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:43 pm

The Giant Pacific Octopus wrote:They get some nobody from England who's top grossing film made less than $3 million Worldwide at the box office to handle a big-budget blockbuster film??

Lets hire the man who's done TONS of disaster films then! You know who I'm talking about... Roland Emmerich!!

:cry:

Give Edwards' a chance. He has a good mind for the environment I think.

:D
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer
Cookie
Burning Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:44 pm

The Giant Pacific Octopus wrote:They get some nobody from England who's top grossing film made less than $3 million Worldwide at the box office to handle a big-budget blockbuster film??

Well last time we got a man who was no stranger to blockbuster success........and it was a terrible mistake. :(
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Green Dragon » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:48 pm

Yeah, pregnancy tests, ersatz velocoraptors, Siskel & Ebert, incompetent military buffoons, New Yawker caricatures, Puff Daddy, an iguana with a Jay leno chin....makes your head spin, doesn't it..... :?

I was somewhat dreading who they'd finally pick to direct, *cough*releasethekracken*cough* but this choice seems to show some interesting and encouraging logic in their approach. :)
Last edited by Green Dragon on Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.facebook.com/wtodd

"...Tibby, I love you my fine little fella, even though you gave the whole family salmonella..."
Green Dragon
Godzilla

Postby Tyler E. Martin » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:50 pm

Green Dragon wrote:I was somewhat dreading who they'd finally pick to direct, *cough*releasethekracken*cough* but this choice seems to show some interesting and encouraging logic in their approach.

Most definitely agreed. I've never seen Monsters, but this decision seems like a reasonably good one from what I've heard. Consider me excited.
Tyler E. Martin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:52 pm

From Variety:
'Monsters' director to helm 'Godzilla' - Warner Bros., Legendary tap Gareth Edwards for sci-fi reboot
Dave McNary wrote:Special effects juggernaut "Godzilla" has a director with British helmer Gareth Edwards on board for Legendary Pictures and Warner Bros.

"Godzilla" would be Edwards' second film. He wrote and directed low-budget sci-fier "Monsters," for which he won trophies for best director and best technical achievement last month at the British Independent Film Awards.

"Monsters," set in Mexico, focused on an alien-monster infestation in a quarantine zone.

Legendary had announced in March that it had closed the rights deal for "Godzilla" with Japan's Toho Co., which has overseen more than 25 "Godzilla" films. It also announced at that point that it was aiming "Godzilla" for a 2012 release.

In addition to Legendary's Thomas Tull and Jon Jashni, producers on the new film will be Dan Lin ("Sherlock Holmes"), Roy Lee and Brian Rogers.

"Godzilla" is part of Legendary's financing deal with Warner Bros. Legendary's productions with Warners have included "The Dark Knight," "300" and "The Hangover."

Edwards is also expected to work on the script, written by David Callaham.

From AICN:
The Legendary attempt to bring GODZILLA back to life on American screens just got fascinating!
Hey folks, Harry here... Last year at SXSW, in the FANTASTIC FEST midnight portion of the festival, we premiered a film that was not quite all the way finished, called MONSTERS by Gareth Edwards. If you got to see that film, you were probably very taken with it. It wasn't an enormous spectacle. If anything, it was a BORDER story, about some Americans trying to get back to America - through a No Man's Land of giant Alien Monsters. But the film was made with more of a eye to Terrence Malick's films than any TOHO man in suit spectacle. In fact, for a studio film's catering budget for a two week shoot - Gareth not only shot and produced his first film, but he managed to do a fantastic indie-themed giant monster movie that in no way looked like any giant monster movie we've seen. Primarily because it wasn't preoccupied with the military, but simply two people trying to survive their personal situation - and how they relate to one another.

I found it captivating. The movie got picked up by MAGNET at the fest - and Gareth Edwards began to appear on the map of interesting talents on the market. Now, well - I can't even imagine how giddy Gareth Edwards must be at landing the directing gig to end all directing gigs in the Giant Monster Movie realm. He's going to make Legendary's GODZILLA.

MONSTERS will be hitting home video February 1st of this year. This was a film made on a shoestring, but that is constantly fascinating, beautiful and haunting. That a man with an eye as unique as the one that shot MONSTERS - and that directed his cast perfectly is directing GODZILLA is not an automatic mainstream home run - but it certainly has my ass in a seat. Hollywood Reporter's HEAT VISION broke the news.

From Collider October 23rd, 2010:
Director Gareth Edwards Exclusive Interview MONSTERS

From The Playlist:
From ‘Monsters’ To Monster: Gareth Edwards To Direct ‘Godzilla’
[quote="Gabe Toro "]Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures are gearing up to launch a new “Godzillaâ€
Last edited by mr.negativity on Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby takuGuy » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:32 am

Have not seen Monsters yet, but I have the Blu pre-ordered. Glad to see they didn't go for a gun-for-hire director like Ratner or Leterrier.
takuGuy
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mechaghidrah » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:43 am

All I want is 90 minutes or so of Godzilla appearing, destroying cities and fighting another monster. Skip any emo love stories, environmental speechifying and political subtext. Make this thing so action packed that not a single moviegoer will go and get that popcorn and soda refill.
mechaghidrah
Little Godzilla

Postby Green Dragon » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:56 am

:?
www.facebook.com/wtodd

"...Tibby, I love you my fine little fella, even though you gave the whole family salmonella..."
Green Dragon
Godzilla

Postby Cookie » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:05 am

mechaghidrah wrote:All I want is 90 minutes or so of Godzilla appearing, destroying cities and fighting another monster. Skip any emo love stories, environmental speechifying and political subtext. Make this thing so action packed that not a single moviegoer will go and get that popcorn and soda refill.

..... wont happen sir. With Edwards' involved, there's going to be a human side to this story... and I'm glad.
Cookie
Burning Godzilla

Postby walshiam » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:06 am

mechaghidrah wrote:All I want is 90 minutes or so of Godzilla appearing, destroying cities and fighting another monster. Skip any emo love stories, environmental speechifying and political subtext. Make this thing so action packed that not a single moviegoer will go and get that popcorn and soda refill.

Good human drama wll legitimize the effort.
walshiam
Godzilla

Next

Return to Legendary's MonsterVerse