G2018:Special Effects

This is the place to discuss Legendary Pictures' Godzilla film and upcoming sequels, as well as Kong: Skull Island and the upcoming Godzilla vs. Kong!! Let everyone know what you think and discuss your thoughts and ideas about the upcoming films!!!!

Moderator: Controllers

G2018:Special Effects

Postby Henry88 » Sat May 29, 2010 10:29 pm

one could only hope for a lot of boom boom bang bang and other eye popping stuff (but no Shaky camera please )
Last edited by Henry88 on Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sat May 29, 2010 10:39 pm

I want it all in stop-motion.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Henry88 » Sat May 29, 2010 10:43 pm

MekaGojira3k wrote:I want it all in stop-motion.

then it would be out at least 2019
Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Legion » Sat May 29, 2010 10:46 pm

I want it all done with handpuppets. Like the kinds you see in day care centers. Except for Bagan, who needs to be in this film and needs to be done in 100% kickass CGI.
http://legion1979.tumblr.com/

Hello, Nice Warners! - A Thorough Analysis of Every Animaniacs Episode
Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sat May 29, 2010 10:47 pm

.Henry88 wrote:

I can wait for that kind of quality.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Henry88 » Sat May 29, 2010 10:50 pm

MekaGojira3k wrote:
.Henry88 wrote:

I can wait for that kind of quality.

yes the old men will be dead the young guy's will be old by the time it came out but yes it would be worth it.
Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Legion » Sat May 29, 2010 10:50 pm

No! The film needs to be out by 2012! Or earlier! Come on, I need to be able to go to school and rub it in everyone's faces that Godzilla is now cool and that they can bite me!

But seriously people, if this has anything other than 100% CGI effects I'd be honestly surprised.

Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Henry88 » Sat May 29, 2010 11:03 pm

i see this movie going the way of transformers as far effects are concerned
Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Sat May 29, 2010 11:44 pm

.Henry88 wrote:i see this movie going the way of transformers as far effects are concerned
that'd be a bit disappointing. Transformers has average effects at best...
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Flame of Udin » Sun May 30, 2010 12:04 am

.Henry88 wrote:i see this movie going the way of transformers as far effects are concerned

Well actually Legendary was very impressed with the results of their face replacement effect that was used on Where the Wild Things Are. They have since been very eager to use that method again whenever they can get the chance to.

Originally, when Legendary was behind the TMNT live action remake they stated that the face replacement effects would be used to bring the characters to life, but then the film switched over to Platinum Dunes so that is no longer the case.

Since Legendary has no real films in development that can really use this method, not to mention being committed to keeping this film as respectable to the source as possible (whats more respectable then using actual suits?) . I can bet my bottom dollar that the face replacement method will be used in this film if not all the time then at least partially, but I am pretty sure it will be used.
Flame of Udin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby TerranigmaFreak » Sun May 30, 2010 11:05 am

When was Legendary ever in charge of rebooting TMNT? I don't think there was any studio attached to the project until a few days ago.
TerranigmaFreak
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Gojiraknight » Sun May 30, 2010 1:03 pm

If there is enough in the budget for this, I'd really prefer motion-capture. Godzilla moves like a guy in a rubber suit. He just shouldn't look like a guy in a rubber suit. So make a Godzilla suit, have an actor "play" Godzilla and then replace it with a CG character.
Monster Zero's "Most Naive Person About 'The Business'" for 7 years running!
Gojiraknight
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Legion » Sun May 30, 2010 1:09 pm

GojiraKnight wrote:If there is enough in the budget for this, I'd really prefer motion-capture. Godzilla moves like a guy in a rubber suit. He just shouldn't look like a guy in a rubber suit. So make a Godzilla suit, have an actor "play" Godzilla and then replace it with a CG character.

I'm still pretty sure (but hoping against) that they'll end up making Godzilla look a lot more animalistic than the Toho versions. I don't see mo-cap or suits with face replacement being used in that case. I'll eat my hat if Godzilla is anything other than complete CGI.

Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Flame of Udin » Sun May 30, 2010 1:41 pm

TerranigmaFreak wrote:When was Legendary ever in charge of rebooting TMNT? I don't think there was any studio attached to the project until a few days ago.

They were attached to the project last year.
Flame of Udin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sun May 30, 2010 2:02 pm

Legion wrote:
GojiraKnight wrote:If there is enough in the budget for this, I'd really prefer motion-capture. Godzilla moves like a guy in a rubber suit. He just shouldn't look like a guy in a rubber suit. So make a Godzilla suit, have an actor "play" Godzilla and then replace it with a CG character.

I'm still pretty sure (but hoping against) that they'll end up making Godzilla look a lot more animalistic than the Toho versions. I don't see mo-cap or suits with face replacement being used in that case. I'll eat my hat if Godzilla is anything other than complete CGI.

I can see someone playing Godzilla in much the same way Andy Serkis played Kong in the 2005 King Kong.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sun May 30, 2010 4:02 pm

lhb412 wrote:
Legion wrote:

I can see someone playing Godzilla in much the same way Andy Serkis played Kong in the 2005 King Kong.

Yeah, I think that Legendary would at least do that. I mean if they respect the character as much as they say they do, they could at least retain some of the human-element that made the character so unique.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Gojiraknight » Sun May 30, 2010 5:12 pm

Legion wrote:

You can make Godzilla more animalistic via the lightness of the suit coupled with the direction given to the actor. But I still believe the character requires that latent intelligence that comes from being played by an actor. It's the little things that make a character. For example, I loved how Satsuma would move G's fingers around in the Heisei series. What computer animator is going to think of doing that?
Monster Zero's "Most Naive Person About 'The Business'" for 7 years running!
Gojiraknight
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Sun May 30, 2010 6:27 pm

Legion wrote:But seriously people, if this has anything other than 100% CGI effects I'd be honestly surprised.

Transformers wasn't complete CGI. I'll bet we see some large-scale animatronics like arms, dorsal fins, possibly even a head or full upper-body, but the moving and full shots will definitely be all-CGI.

Motion-capture CGI is a big possibility, a la Peter Jackson's King Kong.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Cookie » Sun May 30, 2010 8:54 pm

Transformers/Jurassic Park/King Kong.... that's what it should be. Meaning that it'll look good.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer
Cookie
Burning Godzilla

Postby mrbluehair » Mon May 31, 2010 12:45 am

I personally think the effects should be special.
You must show no mercy, nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you... for your greatness will silence them all!
mrbluehair
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Mon May 31, 2010 12:48 am

mrbluehair wrote:I personally think the effects should be special.

Yes, I also think that the effects be effective in conveying the desired effect the script and story call for.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby mrbluehair » Mon May 31, 2010 11:17 am

MekaGojira3k wrote:

Yes, I also think that the effects be effective in conveying the desired effect the script and story call for.

LOL my comment was tongue in cheek...just having fun with the wording.

However I agree, I think they should use whatever best conveys the situation in the movie, whatever effect works best for a given shot...do not rely on just one type.
You must show no mercy, nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you... for your greatness will silence them all!
mrbluehair
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Mon May 31, 2010 11:42 am

mrbluehair wrote:
MekaGojira3k wrote:

LOL my comment was tongue in cheek...just having fun with the wording.

However I agree, I think they should use whatever best conveys the situation in the movie, whatever effect works best for a given shot...do not rely on just one type.

I know, I was just being stupid. :lol: I also think heavy repetition of words to the point of redundancy/stupidity is funny.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby TerranigmaFreak » Mon May 31, 2010 12:09 pm

GojiraKnight wrote:
Legion wrote:

What computer animator is going to think of doing that?

All of them?

Animators aren't stupid, they've also done more with CGI than Toho could do with actors in a suit. How many times have you seen Godzilla move his neck or turn his head?

Really, it just depends on the direction from the director.
TerranigmaFreak
Heisei Godzilla

Postby DannyBeane » Mon May 31, 2010 5:45 pm

I want shadow puppets
DannyBeane
Burning Godzilla

Next

Return to Legendary's MonsterVerse