GODZILLA: King of the Monsters (5-31-19 -NO SPOILERS PLEASE)

This is the place to discuss Legendary Pictures' Godzilla film and upcoming sequels, as well as Kong: Skull Island and the upcoming Godzilla vs. Kong!! Let everyone know what you think and discuss your thoughts and ideas about the upcoming films!!!!

Moderator: Controllers

Re: GODZILLA 2 Discussion - March 22, 2019

Postby Joseph Goodman » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:05 pm

Henry88 wrote:i just want the forum madness to get started (final wars levels would be great)



Plot twist: the movie turns out great, which kills off any conversation, since there's nothing to argue about!
User avatar
Joseph Goodman
Godzilla
 
Posts: 857
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 12:12 am
Location: Annandale, VA

Re: GODZILLA 2 Discussion - March 22, 2019

Postby Jorzilla » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:36 pm

That's not possible. Legendary is making it.
Image
User avatar
Jorzilla
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1507
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 2:39 am
Location: Seattle

Re: GODZILLA 2 Discussion - March 22, 2019

Postby Henry88 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:38 pm

Joseph Goodman wrote:
Henry88 wrote:i just want the forum madness to get started (final wars levels would be great)



Plot twist: the movie turns out great, which kills off any conversation, since there's nothing to argue about!


the fandom will argue about everything right down to the feet, :lol:
User avatar
Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 6968
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 3:06 pm
Location: Heflin,AL

Re: GODZILLA 2 Discussion - March 22, 2019

Postby Mac » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:53 pm

lhb412 wrote:^I read another so-called leak about two days ago (details of the four kaiju - read that - and a plot breakdown of, like, the first half of the movie - didn't read most of that beyond just the intro in case it's true -). The source was supposedly the first draft for the script. There's gonna be a lot of these supposed leaks, some truthful, some half truths, some mostly good guesswork, some mediocre guesswork, and a whole lot of BS before this is all over.


Just in the past year both the new Predator and Halloween had to have major reshoots after screener leaks, so I'd trust those over script reviews.
The new Gamera will be worse than Super Monster.
Image
User avatar
Mac
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1327
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:40 pm

Re: GODZILLA 2 Discussion - March 22, 2019

Postby TerranigmaFreak » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:47 am

Joseph Goodman wrote:
Henry88 wrote:i just want the forum madness to get started (final wars levels would be great)



Plot twist: the movie turns out great, which kills off any conversation, since there's nothing to argue about!


We will FIND something to argue about!
Image
TerranigmaFreak
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1688
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 12:09 pm

Re: GODZILLA 2 Discussion - March 22, 2019

Postby Henry88 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:58 pm

hopefully, a teaser trailer might drop at SDCC.
User avatar
Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 6968
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 3:06 pm
Location: Heflin,AL

Re: GODZILLA 2 Discussion - March 22, 2019

Postby jellydonut25 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:30 am

Henry88 wrote:hopefully, a teaser trailer might drop at SDCC.

It's possible. It's also possible not.

I try not to get too invested in that, for a lot of reasons, but the two biggest are (1) SDCC isn't what it was even just the few years ago that was the hype for the 2014 film. Fewer companies go (there was almost no Skull Island presence at SDCC ever), and even when they do it's way stripped down (the PacRim Uprising presence was a small booth and some borderline completely unrelated to the actual movie ads), and (2) early teaser trailers rarely do a good job of marketing the film. Remember the 2014 teasers that seemed to promise a VERY serious, graphic take.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
User avatar
jellydonut25
Controller
 
Posts: 18538
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:18 am
Location: Houston, TX via Buffalo, NY

Re: GODZILLA 2 Discussion - March 22, 2019

Postby TerranigmaFreak » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:10 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:
Henry88 wrote:hopefully, a teaser trailer might drop at SDCC.

It's possible. It's also possible not.

I try not to get too invested in that, for a lot of reasons, but the two biggest are (1) SDCC isn't what it was even just the few years ago that was the hype for the 2014 film. Fewer companies go (there was almost no Skull Island presence at SDCC ever), and even when they do it's way stripped down (the PacRim Uprising presence was a small booth and some borderline completely unrelated to the actual movie ads), and (2) early teaser trailers rarely do a good job of marketing the film. Remember the 2014 teasers that seemed to promise a VERY serious, graphic take.


Wow. What happened? I remember drooling over the exhibit and the awesome Godzilla experience at SDCC. The brief shot of Godzilla walking past the window. It was so amazing.
Image
TerranigmaFreak
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1688
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 12:09 pm

Re: GODZILLA 2 Discussion - March 22, 2019

Postby lhb412 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:55 am

^ It's just that SDCC no longer has the cache it once had. For instance; Disney has their own industry show where they're more likely to announce stuff.
User avatar
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 14418
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2003 7:11 pm

Re: GODZILLA 2 Discussion - March 22, 2019

Postby Gwangi » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:00 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:Fewer companies go (there was almost no Skull Island presence at SDCC ever)


But I do recall that in SDCC 2016, the "Kong: Skull Island" teaser did premier and everyone and their brother on social media had a teaser / trailer commentary. I think we will see a few tidbits, and perhaps even a teaser on "Godzilla 2". There is just too much invested in this. And knowing that, Toho will probably even premier that second G animated feature on Netflex, during that time.
User avatar
Gwangi
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1502
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 1:52 am
Location: El Toro, CA

Re: GODZILLA 2 Discussion - March 22, 2019

Postby TerranigmaFreak » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:38 pm

lhb412 wrote:^ It's just that SDCC no longer has the cache it once had. For instance; Disney has their own industry show where they're more likely to announce stuff.


I would have thought SDCC would be bigger these days since it focuses so much on movies, and super hero movies are the hot ticket these days.
Image
TerranigmaFreak
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1688
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 12:09 pm

Re: GODZILLA 2 Discussion - March 22, 2019

Postby Kailem » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:09 pm

So maybe this is nothing, but I was randomly checking the S.H. Monsterarts website the other night when I got a prompt to take a survey asking me to rate which monsters I'd like to see made into figures in the order of most to least interest. The first section was all Showa, then Heisei (as well as choosing Godzillas for each era), and then eventually "Millennium and Beyond", which had some small black and white artwork for "King Ghidorah 2019", "Rodan 2019" and "Mothra 2019" that I didn't recognise as just being placeholder pics from anywhere else.

I went back to try and link to or screencap the images just now but since I've already completed the survey I just get a message telling me as much and I can't take it again. Maybe someone else could take a look and see if those pics really are some sort of promo art for the actual designs? They weren't anything particularly spoilery or revelatory as they were all close-ups of their heads/faces, but it's still (possibly) something. Mothra in particular looked a little more bug-like but still recognisable, with what looked almost like mantis-style forelimbs or possibly large mandibles. It was hard to tell, as I say the pics weren't very big. But maybe someone could either confirm or deny that it's anything new.
"Absorb what is useful, discard what is not, add what is uniquely your own"
- Bruce Lee
User avatar
Kailem
Godzilla
 
Posts: 719
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2003 4:34 am
Location: Oxford, England

Re: GODZILLA 2 Discussion - March 22, 2019

Postby Benjamin Haines » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:40 pm

TerranigmaFreak wrote:
lhb412 wrote:^ It's just that SDCC no longer has the cache it once had. For instance; Disney has their own industry show where they're more likely to announce stuff.


I would have thought SDCC would be bigger these days since it focuses so much on movies, and super hero movies are the hot ticket these days.


Studios seemed to catch on to how making a big splash at SDCC doesn't really make a difference for any movie's eventual box office take. The number of people who attend the convention is a sliver of the total population, and while it's great to have all of the entertainment news sites cover every single reveal as its own news piece, that happens any time of the year whenever studios drop a new poster or trailer for an upcoming film.
Image
User avatar
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 5016
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: GODZILLA 2 Discussion - March 22, 2019

Postby lhb412 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:49 pm

Kailem wrote:So maybe this is nothing, but I was randomly checking the S.H. Monsterarts website the other night when I got a prompt to take a survey asking me to rate which monsters I'd like to see made into figures in the order of most to least interest. The first section was all Showa, then Heisei (as well as choosing Godzillas for each era), and then eventually "Millennium and Beyond", which had some small black and white artwork for "King Ghidorah 2019", "Rodan 2019" and "Mothra 2019" that I didn't recognise as just being placeholder pics from anywhere else.

I went back to try and link to or screencap the images just now but since I've already completed the survey I just get a message telling me as much and I can't take it again. Maybe someone else could take a look and see if those pics really are some sort of promo art for the actual designs? They weren't anything particularly spoilery or revelatory as they were all close-ups of their heads/faces, but it's still (possibly) something. Mothra in particular looked a little more bug-like but still recognisable, with what looked almost like mantis-style forelimbs or possibly large mandibles. It was hard to tell, as I say the pics weren't very big. But maybe someone could either confirm or deny that it's anything new.


Did the survey aaaaaaand...

Image Image Image

Very interesting. Who knows where these images originate and if they have anything to do with Legendary. Rodan and King Ghidorah are heavily based on their initial '57 and '64 designs, while Mothra is the most original or redesigned of them (but still looks like Mothra to me).
User avatar
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 14418
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2003 7:11 pm

Re: GODZILLA 2 Discussion - March 22, 2019

Postby Kailem » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:59 pm

Looking at them again now, it almost looks like they gave King Ghidorah the 1962 KingGoji treatment. I feel like maybe I've seen that picture somewhere before? Maybe it's just the resemblance to that particular Godzilla face though that's making me think that. Rodan has kind of a Gyaos look to him, and yeah Mothra looks the most different while still being recognisable. If that's what they're going with for her then I like it.

Benjamin Haines wrote:
TerranigmaFreak wrote:
lhb412 wrote:^ It's just that SDCC no longer has the cache it once had. For instance; Disney has their own industry show where they're more likely to announce stuff.


I would have thought SDCC would be bigger these days since it focuses so much on movies, and super hero movies are the hot ticket these days.


Studios seemed to catch on to how making a big splash at SDCC doesn't really make a difference for any movie's eventual box office take. The number of people who attend the convention is a sliver of the total population, and while it's great to have all of the entertainment news sites cover every single reveal as its own news piece, that happens any time of the year whenever studios drop a new poster or trailer for an upcoming film.


That and I feel like the rise in streaming and the expectations that events like that should be streamed, or in the case of SDCC have the footage released pretty much simultaneously, along with it becoming almost expected now that big trailers are going to be leaked, has made the big studios less interested in big trailer/footage premieres as a whole.

Why put together a big secret trailer that gets leaked on someone's phone and looks like crap? That's not how you want the public to see your (often first) piece of footage. So then you can release it at the same time, like Warner Bros began to do in recent years....in which case why bother making a big deal of going to SDCC in the first place?

I seem to remember Fox decided against showing anything at all last year or the year before citing "leaks" as the reason. There's still some big stuff being shown. The first Aquaman trailer is meant to be showing there this year, but it definitely feels like it's less of a big deal now than it has been in previous years.
"Absorb what is useful, discard what is not, add what is uniquely your own"
- Bruce Lee
User avatar
Kailem
Godzilla
 
Posts: 719
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2003 4:34 am
Location: Oxford, England

Re: GODZILLA 2 Discussion - March 22, 2019

Postby Mac » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:13 pm

Those images of Rodan and KG have been around forever and are fan-art.
The new Gamera will be worse than Super Monster.
Image
User avatar
Mac
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1327
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:40 pm

Re: GODZILLA 2 Discussion - March 22, 2019

Postby Kailem » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:16 pm

Ah, that'd be it then. I figured it was too much to hope for that they'd actually be legit. :P
"Absorb what is useful, discard what is not, add what is uniquely your own"
- Bruce Lee
User avatar
Kailem
Godzilla
 
Posts: 719
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2003 4:34 am
Location: Oxford, England

Re: GODZILLA 2 Discussion - March 22, 2019

Postby lhb412 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:27 pm

Huh, never seen those images before. Thanks for the info. For some reason I thought they'd be connected to that recent art for the Godzilla Store that featured a redesigned Mothra, Rodan, and KG.
User avatar
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 14418
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2003 7:11 pm

Re: GODZILLA 2 Discussion - March 22, 2019

Postby TerranigmaFreak » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:53 pm

Kailem wrote:Looking at them again now, it almost looks like they gave King Ghidorah the 1962 KingGoji treatment. I feel like maybe I've seen that picture somewhere before? Maybe it's just the resemblance to that particular Godzilla face though that's making me think that. Rodan has kind of a Gyaos look to him, and yeah Mothra looks the most different while still being recognisable. If that's what they're going with for her then I like it.


I think they have the be the most creative with Mothra since it's literally just a giant moth. There's only so much you can do.
Image
TerranigmaFreak
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1688
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 12:09 pm

Re: GODZILLA 2 Discussion - March 22, 2019

Postby jellydonut25 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:26 am

Kailem wrote:
Benjamin Haines wrote:Studios seemed to catch on to how making a big splash at SDCC doesn't really make a difference for any movie's eventual box office take. The number of people who attend the convention is a sliver of the total population, and while it's great to have all of the entertainment news sites cover every single reveal as its own news piece, that happens any time of the year whenever studios drop a new poster or trailer for an upcoming film.


That and I feel like the rise in streaming and the expectations that events like that should be streamed, or in the case of SDCC have the footage released pretty much simultaneously, along with it becoming almost expected now that big trailers are going to be leaked, has made the big studios less interested in big trailer/footage premieres as a whole.

Why put together a big secret trailer that gets leaked on someone's phone and looks like crap? That's not how you want the public to see your (often first) piece of footage. So then you can release it at the same time, like Warner Bros began to do in recent years....in which case why bother making a big deal of going to SDCC in the first place?

Pretty much this.

A number of hugely received SDCC films wound up actually flopping at the overall box office when they were ultimately released (there are others, but a big one that comes to mind is Scott Pilgrim vs the World, which was gone BONKERS over at SDCC and wound up flopping hard). This trend made the studios start to realize that getting a good reception at SDCC didn't translate to overall success, and they started scaling back. I think some have over-corrected a little bit (as mentioned, Fox showed NOTHING last year) but definitely gone are the days of the Godzilla Encounter from 2013...and you're more likely to (maybe) see a small booth and then a panel with possibly a trailer. There's no exclusivity to the con anymore so it's becoming less of a big deal.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
User avatar
jellydonut25
Controller
 
Posts: 18538
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:18 am
Location: Houston, TX via Buffalo, NY

Re: GODZILLA 2 Discussion - March 22, 2019

Postby Benjamin Haines » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:21 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:A number of hugely received SDCC films wound up actually flopping at the overall box office when they were ultimately released (there are others, but a big one that comes to mind is Scott Pilgrim vs the World, which was gone BONKERS over at SDCC and wound up flopping hard). This trend made the studios start to realize that getting a good reception at SDCC didn't translate to overall success, and they started scaling back.


Yup.


io9, 07/26/2014:
Jupiter Ascending Comic-Con Footage Sealed The Deal: This Movie Rocks


Wired, 07/23/2011:
New Ghost Rider Looks Like Most Hellacious Comic Book Movie Ever


TheWrap, 07/24/2010:
Comic-Con: ‘Sucker Punch’ Delivers a Surprise TKO
Image
User avatar
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 5016
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: GODZILLA 2 Discussion - March 22, 2019

Postby klen7 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:58 pm

^ Ha!!

I can't imagine what they showed from Jupiter Ascending that made people excited... (now i'm gonna have to find if i responded to the first trailer on these boards when it came out)
User avatar
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 7061
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:34 pm
Location: beyond your peripheral vision

Re: GODZILLA 2 Discussion - March 22, 2019

Postby Baltan II » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:11 am

Well, whatever the footage will look like, Dougherty just confirmed something for Godzilla will be shown in Hall H this year.
Image
User avatar
Baltan II
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 2387
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:27 am
Location: Delaware

Re: GODZILLA 2 Discussion - March 22, 2019

Postby lhb412 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:04 am

^ Woohooo! I wasn't gonna get my hopes up with the movie still 10 months away. Nice to have confirmation.
User avatar
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 14418
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2003 7:11 pm

Re: GODZILLA 2 Discussion - March 22, 2019

Postby jellydonut25 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:20 am

Good. It'll help wash the taste of the anime out of my mouth.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
User avatar
jellydonut25
Controller
 
Posts: 18538
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:18 am
Location: Houston, TX via Buffalo, NY

PreviousNext

Return to Legendary's MonsterVerse

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests