[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
Garfield • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

Garfield

From Scooby Doo to Adult Swim, from Johnny Quest to Samurai Jack; discuss cartoons and animation here!!

Moderator: Controllers

Garfield

Postby O.Supreme » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:53 pm

Greetings All, I did a pretty exhaustive search, but there was no dedicated thread on this beloved character, so I figured hat the heck. I have an aunt who was a Huge Garfield fan, so I actually started with the comic strips, which were collected in book volumes, I remember getting these form my schools book fair each year in elementary school. There were annual animated specials (all voiced by Lorenzo Music) in the early-mid 80's, then Garfield got his own Saturday Morning Show - Garfield and Friends in 1988 and lasted 7 seasons, an amazing 121 episodes!

I rewatched all of these with my kids a couple years back when they were on Netflix. They were still as hilarious as I remembered. All the DVD's are long OOP, but not that expensive if you search hard enough. I just got volume 1 of 5 (which is the entire 1st season, and some of the 2nd) for $10 used.

There was an amazing meta moment in one of the episodes however. I couldn't find the clip on Youtube...But in an early episode Garfield goes on a pet talent show, there is a talking parrot that does impersonations (voiced by Frank Welker). He does impersonations of Bill Cosby, Pee-Wee Herman, Jack Nicholson, and finally Garfield Himself, to which Garfield is not impressed. This blew my mind because Frank Welker would eventually fill in for Lorenzo Music in all Garfield related media after Lorenzo's passing. The man is a master at his craft and he learned form the best. Welker would also fill in for Don Messick voicing Scooby Doo after his passing as well.

Additionally, most people know this but, Lorenzo Music also voiced Ghostbuster Dr. Peter Venkman in the first two seasons of The Real Ghostbusters animated series, so it was oddly fitting that Bill Murray voiced Garfield in the two live action films from 2004 & 2006.

To Be Honest, I really haven't watched any of the newer Garfield shows or direct-to-home media films. But all the stuff from the 70/80 (The comics and the cartoon) are still classic favorites of mine. Do you enjoy Garfields wit and sarcasm? Sound off below if you do
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Re: Garfield

Postby mbozzo » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:59 pm

I enjoy Garfield every time that I get to read his strip or watch his cartoon series. :mrgreen:
mbozzo
Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:27 pm

A special shout-out has to be given to Mark Evanier. He wrote or co-wrote pretty much every episode of Garfield and Friends, wrote a lot of the newer Garfield CGI show from the last decade, was the voice director for both shows, and though it's not exactly known just who comprises Jim Davis' cadre of collaborators who actually work on the comic strip I've heard it supposed that Evanier has probably written more Garfield comic strips than Jim Davis!

(Evanier got his start as Jack Kirby's assistant, wrote an enormous amount of Hanna-Barbera shows in the 70s, and has and continues to co-write the comic book Groo the Wanderer with Sergio Aragones - full life!)

Collecting those nifty little Garfield collections was a formative experience for me. Those are certainly the first comics I sought out, and were an early instance of me collecting something.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby The Shadow » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:51 pm

I enjoy reading Garfield too when I get the chance. As a kid I regularly watched the Garfield and Friends cartoon. The most recent Garfield cartoon, The Garfield Show, was all CGI; Cartoon Network picked it up but only ran it on Boomerang. The Garfield Show was decent, I'd catch it every so often when checking out what Boomerang was running, but I think that Garfield and Friends was a better show all around.

Cartoon Network has some clips from THE GARFIELD SHOW up on their Youtube channel:

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow
Burning Godzilla

Return to I Wanna Watch Cartoons!!