[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
Another Spider-Man DVD opportunity...Will Disney respond? • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

Another Spider-Man DVD opportunity...Will Disney respond?

From Scooby Doo to Adult Swim, from Johnny Quest to Samurai Jack; discuss cartoons and animation here!!

Moderator: Controllers

Another Spider-Man DVD opportunity...Will Disney respond?

Postby O.Supreme » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:57 pm

In the world of Media, you don't get a lot of second chances, well Maybe you do...?

Disney did not release the 1990's X-Men animated series until 2009, shortly before the release of X-Men origins (the 4th film...)

Now Disney/Marvel and Sony have partnered up and are releasing Spider-Man: Homecoming in July, plus the all new Marvel's Spider-Man animated series to be released this summer. This will be the 6th theatrical film, and 9th animated series based on the wall crawler to date...

So with all this opportunity, one would think now would be a prime time (after so many missed opportunities previously) to release some of the other Spider-Man animated series on DVD. Sure there have been single disc releases in the past, and some of these have been released over in the UK, but of the 8 previous Spider-Man series , only 3 have been released on DVD in completion:

1. Spider-Man (1967)
2. Spider-Man the New Animated Series (2003)
&
3. The Spectacular Spider-Man (2008) -on DVD & Blu Ray

Now of the unreleased ones, the most popular, and often on the top of most unreleased DVD's list is:
Spider-Man (1994)

I would love for Disney to finally release this on DVD. Heck I'd love them to release "Amazing Friends" and "Ultimate" as well...but first things first. So the question is...we are just a little over 3 months away from the premiere of the new film...usually most DVD news can occur from 1-2 months before the products actual release.... Is Disney going to finally make my dreams (and many others) come true and finally DO SOMETHING about getting these various series out on Home media, or will they again let the opportunity pass...yet again?

All of these series were on Netflix by the way, for several years along with pretty much all of Marvels animated history. Sure I can be content to watch bootleg videos on Youtube, but I'd love to pay to have the actual licensed product in physical form. Come on Disney, for once in your life, don't let me down!
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Re: Another Spider-Man DVD opportunity...Will Disney respond

Postby Specium Ray » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:40 pm

I'm not a huge fan of the Fox series (those CG backgrounds have not aged well) but it's bonkers that it's never been available on DVD. I know a lot 90's kids who were weaned on that series.
Specium Ray
Godzilla Jr.

Postby O.Supreme » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:02 pm

I had just graduated high school when the Fox series started, and I still enjoy it to this day. In fact even when I was younger I always enjoyed older portrayals of Peter Parker (by older I mean 20's-early 30's) as opposed to "teenage" Peter Parker. But yes it is crazy that many of these series have never had a north American release. I figure this is there last chance, I am just not willing to go digital on this or anything else because you never know when its going to disappear.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby The Shadow » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:29 pm

I'd like to see all the DePatie-Freleng/Marvel Productions Marvel cartoons get proper home video releases in North America. Unless I'm forgetting one that should be:

- The New Fantastic Four
- Spider-Woman
- Spider-Man
- Spider-Man And His Amazing Friends
- The Incredible Hulk
- Pryde of the X-Men

Sometimes I'm a bit surprised that Marvel simply hadn't just made a Spider-Woman movie sometime in the last several years instead of continually prodding Sony over Spider-Man. As I understand it, the original Spider-Woman (Jessica Drew) exists as an entirely separate character from Spider-Man, whereas usually such characters are a subset of the rights to the initial character. IE The rights for Supergirl are directly tied to Superman, and similarly the rights for the more recent Spider-Gwen are directly tied to Spider-Man; because Sony has the movie rights for Spider-Man (and related characters) the could include Spider-Gwen in a movie or even feature her in a stand alone film.
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow
Burning Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:23 pm

O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:55 pm

It always boggled my mind that the '90s animated series never got full-season DVD releases to coincide with any of the Spider-Man feature films. My guess is Disney will indeed let Homecoming come and go without putting the series on DVD this year. I would buy them if it ever happened but I'm not jonesing for it since the whole series has been on Hulu for years now.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:29 am

Having rewatched the 90s show back in Sept I'll most likely never buy it if it did come out. It just wasn't as good as I remembered. I still somewhat enjoyed the first 3 seasons (S1, Neogenic Nightmare, and Sins of the Fathers), but after that the show kept getting worse as it went on.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:30 am

Disney doesn't seem to care about home media releases for their TV properties. Gravity Falls was a huge hit with all ages, and despite a rabid fanbase it hasn't received any sort of season set on DVD or Blu-Ray, even though it's generated numerous other ancillary products.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:41 am

Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:47 am

That's Lucasfilm and Star Wars, though. Slightly different circumstances, even under the Disney umbrella. Gravity Falls is plain old Disney.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:35 pm

Marvel Properties, like Lucasfilm however are immensely popular. Though there has been no announcement, I am 100% certain of a Blu Ray and DVD release of Rebels Season 3 this fall. As far as Marvel's new or older animated series, Other than possibly an impulse buy DVD of Marvel's new Spider-Man series when it comes out, (but again I'm doubting this, Guardians of the Galaxy didn't even get an impulse dvd) there has been no effort from Marvel/Disney to release any of there history of animated series on DVD in the past 4 years
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Return to I Wanna Watch Cartoons!!