death of the action cartoon

From Scooby Doo to Adult Swim, from Johnny Quest to Samurai Jack; discuss cartoons and animation here!!

Moderator: Controllers

death of the action cartoon

Postby Henry88 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:47 pm

Thundercats

Young Justice

Samurai Jack

Sym-Bionic Titan

all canceled before they could end properly

any one I forgot.
ROBOT CO-OP IS GAMING COMEDY
https://robotco-op.com/
Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla

Re: death of the action cartoon

Postby Gman2887 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:28 pm

Not that I watched it, but that recent Green Lantern show got axed pretty quickly.
Gman2887
Burning Godzilla

Postby XvGojira » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:28 pm

Henry88 wrote:Thundercats

Young Justice

Samurai Jack

Sym-Bionic Titan

any one I forgot.

Man, what I wouldn't give to have a proper ending to Samurai Jack. So glad that the Timm'verse of the DCAU got closure in JLU. I got well into Young Justice but because of the recent habit of shows playing three episodes every six months (exaggeration) I kind of dropped out, also hearing that the cast got super changed up in season 2 was disheartening to hear.
XvGojira
Burning Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:15 pm

XvGojira wrote:

Young Justice

Samurai Jack

Sym-Bionic Titan

any one I forgot.

Man, what I wouldn't give to have a proper ending to Samurai Jack. So glad that the Timm'verse of the DCAU got closure in JLU. I got well into Young Justice but because of the recent habit of shows playing three episodes every six months (exaggeration) I kind of dropped out, also hearing that the cast got super changed up in season 2 was disheartening to hear.

Well, it's not quite just an ending, but IDW is continuing Samurai Jack in comic book format -
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=47179
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:25 pm

Comic book continuations are lame. They never fell like the show. Besides, the last time I followed a comic book that took place after a show, each issue was like 6 months apart and then the series was just canceled before it even got started.

Anyway, yeah good cartoons go to CN to die. UNless it is Green Lantern, then that cartoon just sucked from the get go and I refuse to watch Beware the Batman.

BTW, Young Justice's second season was far superior to its first. It's just that the whole thing became pointless because the show did not continue to what the second season was leading to.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:13 am

mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Inferior Rodan » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:41 am

Dr Kain wrote:Anyway, yeah good cartoons go to CN to die. UNless it is Green Lantern, then that cartoon just sucked from the get go and I refuse to watch Beware the Batman.

Green lantern really is a soild show, I've never really understood why this show ever got a bad rep. Its not Young Justice but it's up there with Justice League in terms of storytelling. Plus, it still has Bruce Timms's style...just CG.
Inferior Rodan
Godzilla

Postby Silver Kamen » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:12 pm

Inferior Rodan wrote:Green lantern really is a soild show, I've never really understood why this show ever got a bad rep.

How is it a solid show? I found it to be inadequate compared to anything else.
シルバー仮面!

Silver Kamen
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Inferior Rodan » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:44 pm

Silver Kamen wrote:
Inferior Rodan wrote:Green lantern really is a soild show, I've never really understood why this show ever got a bad rep.

How is it a solid show? I found it to be inadequate compared to anything else.

This may depend on your defination of a soild show, but i feel a soild show can keep the watcher enaged from begining to end. Green Lantern has a unique CG style to it that grew on me and even became prefrable as the show went on. Stories were pretty standard when coming from the likes of Brunce Timm and his writers but this is a good thing in my eyes. Also, Green lantern played a gamble but creating 2 orginal characters just for the show that changed and grew over the course of it's 26 episodes (one of which i've re-watched a few times). We also got decent fan service from other DC characters from the green lantern universe (Guy Gardner, Salaka, ect). Green Lantern also had a maturity to it that i really tend to like from action shows. Characters change, they grow, and feel like they become more interesting from when they started. If all this doesn't describe at least a soild torable show worth watching, I don't know what does.

I'ed actually like to ask what problems people had with Green lantern and why?
Inferior Rodan
Godzilla

Postby Inferior Rodan » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:47 pm

By the way, this article tends to hit home pretty good. Its almost impossible to fill the shoes of the many batman shows before it. I have been meaning to give Beware the Batman a chance cause if we say action shows are dying...well if we're not giving shows a chance then that could be a reason why.
Inferior Rodan
Godzilla

Postby Silver Kamen » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:50 pm

Inferior Rodan wrote:I'ed actually like to ask what problems people had with Green lantern and why?

I can't speak for everyone, but I dislike it because the story is poor. And the Art style is just weird.
シルバー仮面!

Silver Kamen
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Inferior Rodan » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:57 pm

Silver Kamen wrote:
Inferior Rodan wrote:I'ed actually like to ask what problems people had with Green lantern and why?

I can't speak for everyone, but I dislike it because the story is poor. And the Art style is just weird.

The art style I can understand. Art is always a matter of prefrence and i have quit a show altogether just cause i hate the way it looked. Though if you don't have a problem with Justice League, Batman: TAS, Superman: TAS, Batman Beyond ect then i find that a little confusing as Green lantern has the same style...its just CG.

I guess tell me how the story was poor. Hal Jordan goes off on a intelligent space ship stopping the red lanterns from whipping out everything...then takes care of the manhunters being controlled by the Anti-Monitor all with the help of his commrades who go through their own story arcs. Seems pretty standard but never bad. Alot of the twist with Razor and Eya are part of what kept me glued. Their love drama was pretty well done for a kids show.
Inferior Rodan
Godzilla

Postby Silver Kamen » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:01 pm

Inferior Rodan wrote:The art style I can understand. Art is always a matter of prefrence and i have quit a show altogether just cause i hate the way it looked. Though if you don't have a problem with Justice League, Batman: TAS, Superman: TAS, Batman Beyond ect then i find that a little confusing as Green lantern has the same style...its just CG.

I guess tell me how the story was poor. Hal Jordan goes off on a intelligent space ship stopping the red lanterns from whipping out everything...then takes care of the manhunters being controlled by the Anti-Monitor all with the help of his commrades who go through their own story arcs. Seems pretty standard but never bad. Alot of the twist with Razor and Eya are part of what kept me glued. Their love drama was pretty well done for a kids show.

Precisely. Well, I'm not that fond of the art styles of any of those shows either.

That's the problem. Standard. Minimalist. It's almost become common place that since it's a cartoon, we have to not care about the story. To be fair, this is not just a new problem with the show. But with the whole genre.
シルバー仮面!

Silver Kamen
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Inferior Rodan » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:16 pm

Silver Kamen wrote:
Inferior Rodan wrote:The art style I can understand. Art is always a matter of prefrence and i have quit a show altogether just cause i hate the way it looked. Though if you don't have a problem with Justice League, Batman: TAS, Superman: TAS, Batman Beyond ect then i find that a little confusing as Green lantern has the same style...its just CG.

Precisely. Well, I'm not that fond of the art styles of any of those shows either.

That's the problem. Standard. Minimalist. It's almost become common place that since it's a cartoon, we have to not care about the story. To be fair, this is not just a new problem with the show. But with the whole genre.

The American genre has that problem yeah, but its something that really won't change so long as action shows are made here. Industry tends to make it hard when you're marketing a action show to a demogragh of 6-12 year olds in a effort to not only make a good show but to sell toys. Because of this, stories have to a simple, relatable and really can't change the status quo to much. I often need to remind myself I'm an adult and if i watch a show like Green Lantern or Yound Justice, i have to realize this show is not meant for me. Alot of the times when a show does push the medium (2nd season of Young Justice) there is always a risk a 6-12 kid may get lost and end up not caring, Its certainly something excutives think when they chose to buy epsiodes of these shows. I guess for that reason, i tend to be very forgiving of alot of american action shows because despite the cliches they have, its nothing to how bad anime can get with its shows with a few rare exceptions.

With Green Lantern, it felt like another Bruce Timm show...and I'm pretty ok with that considering him and Greg Wiseman have created some of the best action shows of last 20 years.
Inferior Rodan
Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:44 pm

As much as I love a lot of cartoons on-air right now, I secretly wish we could have cartoons that don't fall into the three categories: 1) Comedies intended for kids of various ages 2) Risque comedies for older kids or adults, and 3) Action cartoons intended to sell merchandise.

I'd like a serious drama cartoon, or horror, or sci-fi ... animation is such an incredible medium, and it can do so much more than it's doing now.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Silver Kamen » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:46 pm

lhb412 wrote:As much as I love a lot of cartoons on-air right now, I secretly wish we could have cartoons that don't fall into the three categories: 1) Comedies intended for kids of various ages 2) Risque comedies for older kids or adults, and 3) Action cartoons intended to sell merchandise.

I'd like a serious drama cartoon, or horror, or sci-fi ... animation is such an incredible medium, and it can do so much more than it's doing now.

Good Point, I agree.
シルバー仮面!

Silver Kamen
Heisei Godzilla

Postby XvGojira » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:00 pm

BTAS has really big shoes to fill since it spawned 6 spin-offs (Superman, JL, JLU, BatBeyond, Static Shock, Project Zeta), but that was pure lightning in the bottle. Working off the steam of the Burton movies and just rocking out from that.

I'm not sure it's the death of action cartoons. The Ben 10 series has been going strong for YEARS, albeit by making a new series in the same world. I admit I haven't seen much of any of them, but it is popular as hell and I'm sure the toy sales are pretty high up there as well. The new Turtles show is fun as well and just started a second season. Not sure of it's toy sales but I see them EVERYWHERE, so I'd assume it's doing alright, and the upcoming movie will probably quite helpful as well (unless they scrap this series to make a tie-in series).

Here's a little list of the "action" shows I'm finding still on
Ninja Turtles
Ben 10
Dreamworks Dragons
Kung Fu Panda
Legend of Korra
Lego Legend of chimichanga or something
Ultimate Spider-man
Avengers Assemble
Hulk Smash

So maybe it's that DC is having a hard time with keep shows on air.

And as for GL. I never watched any of it. I meant to since I love Timm's work and even though it was CG, like Inferior Rodan said, it's Timm's style in CG and not some strange Tron Uprising style of CG. With my lack of cable, and no patience with to adhear a network's schedule from using Netflix, streaming episodes from websites, and um.. other means of obtaining episodes, I never got around to watching it.

EDIT:

lhb412 wrote:I'd like a serious drama cartoon, or horror, or sci-fi ... animation is such an incredible medium, and it can do so much more than it's doing now.

Okay, yeah I'd love that. That's why I loved Avatar the Last Airbender, The Legend of Korra, and what I've seen of Young Justice All of them are not only great fun but get pretty dark and serious when it needs to. I'd love for a horror show but since most animation is aimed at a younger audiences it couldn't get too scarey, like they could make an animated Are You Afraid of the Dark or something like that. There was an animated Tales from the Crypt show back in the day (and a game show ala Legends of the Hidden Temple if memory serves too) .
Last edited by XvGojira on Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XvGojira
Burning Godzilla

Postby Silver Kamen » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:02 pm

XvGojira wrote:Kung Fu Panda

*shutters*. Can't that entire series just die? No? There is a third one coming out? :cry:
シルバー仮面!

Silver Kamen
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Inferior Rodan » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:47 pm

lhb412 wrote:As much as I love a lot of cartoons on-air right now, I secretly wish we could have cartoons that don't fall into the three categories: 1) Comedies intended for kids of various ages 2) Risque comedies for older kids or adults, and 3) Action cartoons intended to sell merchandise.

I'ed love this too, but your best bet for that is to seek out overseas movies or shows where they actually do that stuff. American animation will likley stay at the comedy level a la Simpsons, Family guy, ect and action (MUST SELL TOYS) shows cause thats how we roll. My hope is we have an ambitious animator(s) that manages to take that big risk on something not action or comedy or kiddy and make it work. Though i will say DC's direct to video features do show promise.
Inferior Rodan
Godzilla

Postby Silver Kamen » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:04 pm

Inferior Rodan wrote:I'ed love this too, but your best bet for that is to seek out overseas movies or shows where they actually do that stuff. American animation will likley stay at the comedy level a la Simpsons, Family guy, ect and action (MUST SELL TOYS) shows cause thats how we roll. My hope is we have an ambitious animator(s) that manages to take that big risk on something not action or comedy or kiddy and make it work. Though i will say DC's direct to video features do show promise.

Indeed, what a sorry state of affairs.
シルバー仮面!

Silver Kamen
Heisei Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:16 pm

Young Justice

Samurai Jack

Sym-Bionic Titan

any one I forgot.

Pirates of Dark Water
War Planets/Shadow Raiders
MOTU 2002
Avengers: EMH
Transformers: Prime (sure this one got a "proper" ending, but it was too soon)
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby Silver Kamen » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:22 pm

O.Supreme wrote:Transformers: Prime (sure this one got a "proper" ending, but it was too soon)

That was about the best ending out of all of them. I have no complaints what so ever.
シルバー仮面!

Silver Kamen
Heisei Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:38 pm

Oh no doubt it was a good ending, but the series could have easily gone on for another season or two. Unfortunately the nature of the very franchise I enjoy so much is "change". I dont think any TF series will ever match the 98 episode run of the original. :( .
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby DannyBeane » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:54 pm

Dinosaucers. One of my favorite cartoons of all time. Its like TMNT except dinosaurs, and they are from space!
phpBB [media]
DannyBeane
Burning Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:57 pm

Inferior Rodan wrote:
Dr Kain wrote:Anyway, yeah good cartoons go to CN to die. UNless it is Green Lantern, then that cartoon just sucked from the get go and I refuse to watch Beware the Batman.

Green lantern really is a soild show, I've never really understood why this show ever got a bad rep. Its not Young Justice but it's up there with Justice League in terms of storytelling. Plus, it still has Bruce Timms's style...just CG.

Nah, it looks nothing like Timm's style. It looks like they just took the JLU toys and stop motioned them into a piss poor looking CGI show. Like Reboot-bad CGI. They gave all of the Red Lanterns personalities and I didn't feel like there was any rage coming from them at all. Add on top the voices were subpar and the first 5 episodes were boring (that is as far as I was willing to watch) as all ****ing hell.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Next

Return to I Wanna Watch Cartoons!!