Scooby-Doo : The Franchise

From Scooby Doo to Adult Swim, from Johnny Quest to Samurai Jack; discuss cartoons and animation here!!

Moderator: Controllers

Anybody like Scooby-Doo?

Yes, of course
69%
It's okay.
31%
No, a talking dog?! That's almost as silly as a giant monst-...oh wait..
No votes

Total votes : 13

Scooby-Doo : The Franchise

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:30 pm

I hadn't thought of Scooby-Doo in YEARS, however my youngest cousin is OBSESSED with it. Between watching a bunch of his DVDs and Mystery Incorporated (which is amazing) my ladyfriend and I are going through the entirety of Scooby's history.

We just finished Scooby-Doo Where Are You!? And part of me still appreciates the first season, but man...do those kids call pretty much everything a ghost. ITS A WEREWOLF GHOST. ITS A SPACE GHOST. I dunno, if I saw something come out of a UFO, I'd just assume it's an alien.

I find I appreciate the eps when the kids are stuck in an old mansion and are facing something a little more traditionally phantom or ghost-like.

Here's my top 10 of this particular series:...just cuz...ya know?
1. A Night of Fright is No Delight
2. A Gaggle of Galloping Ghosts
3. Foul Play in Funland
4. Bedlam in the Big Top
5. Spooky Space Kook
6. A Tiki Scare is No Fair
7. Jeepers, It's the Creeper
8. That's Snow Ghost
9. What the Hex Going On
10. Decoy for a Dognapper
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:10 pm

I like Scooby. 90% of the show's various permutations is the definition of bland, but I love the current show and Scooby-Doo, Where are You? is great. I also have a soft spot in my heart for guest star infused Scooby Movies and A Pup Named Scooby-Doo.

FYI, there's someone who lives downtown in my city who drives an exact replica of the Mystery Machine. I've heard people say that the driver is a dead-ringer for Daphne, but I've never seen her myself.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:12 pm

lhb412 wrote:FYI, there's someone who lives downtown in my city who drives an exact replica of the Mystery Machine. I've heard people say that the driver is a dead-ringer for Daphne, but I've never seen her myself.

That's great. :lol:

I recall liking the Scooby Movies stuff and Pup Named Scooby Doo as well,

but the only thing I've liked nearly as much as Mystery Inc are the first four Direct to Video films of the late 90s.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:15 pm

^Oh yeah, those first DTVs are also good. Lost interest after they merged the continuity and art-style with What's New Scooby-Doo.

...but they've gone to using a retro, '60s style in the last few, right?
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:22 pm

lhb412 wrote:^Oh yeah, those first DTVs are also good. Lost interest after they merged the continuity and art-style with What's New Scooby-Doo.

...but they've gone to using a retro, '60s style in the last few, right?

That's exactly what killed my interest in them.

Yes, it looks much better now. I caught the latest one, Big Top Scooby-Doo, on TV with my cousin a few weeks back. The animation is nice, and the humor is well...Mystery Inc-ish but a bit more dialed back. It's the same producers, I think.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby mbozzo » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:54 pm

Scooby-Doo is a great character. His friendship with Norvell Rogers is the best thing happen in the series. :D
mbozzo
Godzilla

Re: Scooby-Doo : The Franchise

Postby mr.negativity » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:44 am

New 'Scooby-Doo' Movie in the Works from Warner Animation
After more than a dozen years, Warner Bros. is bringing back Scooby.
Borys Kit wrote:For those asking "Scooby-Doo, Where Are You?" the answer is this: back on the big screen.

After more than a dozen years, Warner Bros. is bringing Scooby and his quirky crew of crime-busting kids to theatres, this time as an animated feature.

Tony Cervone, an Emmy-nominated animation vet who already has Scooby experience having directed several straight-to-own movies in the lucrative franchise, is helming the movie, which Warners has already slated for September 21, 2018.

Charles Roven and Richard Suckle, who previously produced the studio’s live-action Scooby movies, 2002’s Scooby-Doo and 2004’s Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed, are producing along with Allison Abbate.

Abbate brings a lot of animation expertise to the table, with credits including The Iron Giant, The Fantastic Mr. Fox and the Tim Burton movies Corpse Bride and Frankenweenie. (She is also married to Cervone.)

Dan Povenmire, the co-creator of the cartoon Phineas and Ferb, is also involved in a creative capacity and will exec produce. Matt Lieberman wrote the script.

Warners, which will release the movie under its Warner Animation Group banner, is hoping the movie leads to a series of movies featuring characters from the stable of Hanna-Barbera, the animation powerhouse that ruled the airwaves in the 1960s and early 1970s.

Said president of creative development and worldwide production, Greg Silverman: "Like countless fans, I have always loved the Hanna-Barbera cast of characters. As one of their most famous brand ambassadors, Scooby-Doo will take the lead in re-introducing this pantheon of enduringly popular animated stars on a grand scale with an exciting new movie."
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby XvGojira » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:38 pm

So... CG Scooby?

Well, as a fan of most of the live action movies, I'm fine with more Scooby. And possibly more old school Hanna-Barbara characters? Hells yeah!

I just wonder if Matthew Lilard will still voice Shaggy, I think with his work on Mystery Inc he's gotten a lot better since the movies.
XvGojira
Burning Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:47 pm

Cervone being involved makes me hope there's a bit of Mystery Inc. flavor to the whole thing.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:49 pm

I hope they retain the current voices and don't go for stunt casting.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Re: Scooby-Doo : ‘S.C.O.O.B.’

Postby mr.negativity » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:47 am

mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby XvGojira » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:20 pm

I can deal with a H-B cinimatic universe, but... S.C.O.O.B.? Really? Please don't tell me he's going to be a computer or something stupid.
XvGojira
Burning Godzilla

Re: S.C.O.O.B

Postby mr.negativity » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:41 am

^
Scooby Apocalypse

CinemaCon 2016: BIG News and Developments on Warner Animation Group’s Film Slate
Brandon Smith wrote:Last but definitely not least, there is the 2018 Scooby-Doo movie, now titled S.C.O.O.B.. Directed by Tony Cervone from a screenplay by Matt Lieberman and executive produced by Dan Povenmire (Phineas and Ferb), S.C.O.O.B. will bring the Scooby-Doo franchise back to the big screen in the way it was meant to be: animated. But S.C.O.O.B. will do much more than that.

In an announcement video shown to the crowd, the film was described as “our first shot at unlocking the whole Hanna-Barbera Universe.”

Yep, you read that right. If all goes well, S.C.O.O.B. will be the launching pad for a shared cinematic universe of animated films based off the Hanna-Barbera properties!

Currently, Warner Animation Group is the only animation company that has taken a dive into the shared universe concept. While it’s too early to judge how successful the LCU (LEGO Cinematic Universe) films will be in the long term, a shared universe for the Hanna-Barbera properties holds no shortage of exciting possibilities, especially considering the talent involved.

For the first time in a long time, Warner Bros. is making the effort to care as much about feature animation as they do with any other sector of their film business. Therefore, it’s probably fare to expect that Warner Animation Group will become a fore to be reckoned with.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:24 pm

Scooby-Doo: Mystery Incorporated already did the shared HB Universe concept, and did it wonderfully. I doubt WB can pull is off as well.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby The Shadow » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:40 am

I don't know about a complete shared Hanna-Barbera Cinematic Universe (HBCU), but I've long thought that H-B's adventure, sci-fi, and fantasy shows would work great in a shared movie universe (largely because H-B did it themselves originally).

Space Ghost, Jonny Quest, Birdman, Galaxy Trio, Herculoids, Mightor, Samson & Goliath, and Teen Force should work well together. With some tweaked/expanded world building Galtar and the Golden Lance and Pirates of Dark Water should fit in nicely too. Depending on the where the rights lie (and perhaps with some reworking) Sky Commanders should fit well. And since the Ruby-Spears library is effectively coupled to the HB library we might be able to bring Thundarr the Barbarian and The Centurions into the fold.

Things don't necessarily mesh as well once you start bringing Clue Club and Jabberjaw or Huckleberry Hound and Quickdraw McGraw to the above. I suppose it could work, though a completely shared HBCU would be a mighty strange place.
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow
Burning Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:43 am

mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:06 pm

Dax Shepard Tackling 'Scooby-Doo' Animated Movie
The actor-writer-director will co-helm the Warner Bros. movie with Tony Cervon
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:55 pm

... the hell?

I mean, nothing against the guy... but really?
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Fri May 05, 2017 1:00 am

Scooby-Doo Animated Movie Moves Back Two Years to 2020
Dave McNary wrote:Warner Bros. is delaying its Scooby-Doo animated movie “Scooby” for nearly two years to May 15, 2020.

The studio had announced in 2015 that it was in development on “Scooby” with a release date of Sept. 21, 2018.

Variety reported in September that Dax Shepard is in negotiations to direct the movie. Producers are Charles Roven and Richard Suckle, who were producers on the studio’s live-action films “Scooby-Doo” and “Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed.” Allison Abbate, who has credits on “Fantastic Mr. Fox,” “Corpse Bride,” and “Frankenweenie,” is also producing.

The untitled film is being directed by “Space Jam” helmer Tony Cervone, whose TV credits include Cartoon Network’s “The Looney Tunes Show” and “Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated.” Matt Lieberman (“Dr. Dolittle: Tail to the Chief”) wrote the screenplay, while Dan Povenmire (“Family Guy”) is on board as executive producer.

The new Scooby-Doo feature will be a Warner Bros. Pictures presentation under the Warner Animation Group banner, which has risen to prominence with “The Lego Movie” and “Batman Lego.”

“Scooby” is the first title to be set on May 15, 2020. Variety reported in 2013 that the project was in development. At that point, Roven and Suckle were producing, with Lieberman penning the script.

The 2002 “Scooby-Doo” mixed live-action actors with the titular Great Dane, which was computer-generated, as did “Scooby-Doo: Monsters Unleashed” two years later. The first film generated $275 million worldwide, while the second earned $180 million.

The original animated TV series “Scooby-Doo: Where Are You?” was created by Hanna-Barbera and first aired in 1969.

Warner Bros. also announced Wednesday that it would move “Godzilla Vs. Kong” forward a week to May 22, 2020, along with a June 29, 2018, release date for its comedy “Tag,” starring Ed Helms, Jeremy Renner, and Hannibal Buress.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sat May 06, 2017 1:25 am

Wasn't think film supposed to be have some weird spy setup last time we had word of it? I think it may be a more standard Scooby thing now.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Sat May 06, 2017 10:44 am

I remember reading a while back, when it was still set to open in September 2018, that this was meant to be another live-action/CGI hybrid like the previous '02/'04 Scooby-Doo pictures. The release date delay of more than a year and a half seems to correlate with the decision to make it a fully computer-animated flick. Sony recently did the same thing when they made Smurfs: The Lost Village fully animated instead of a hybrid like their first two entries. Maybe this is the future for kid-centric adaptations of classic cartoons?

Also, how does Dax Shepard keep getting directorial work?
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sun May 07, 2017 2:08 pm

^The wording is confusing, but isn't that press release saying Shepard's been replaced by the Space Jam guy.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:17 pm

VARIETY OCTOBER 15, 2018:
‘Tom and Jerry,’ ‘Scooby-Doo’ Movies Land Top Talent at Warner Animation Group (EXCLUSIVE)
Justin Kroll wrote:Warner Bros. has big ambitions for its animation division, and the studio has zeroed in on the talent to help steer the ship on two popular properties.

Sources tell Variety that Warners and Warner Animation Group (WAG) are in negotiations with “Shaft” helmer Tim Story to direct the new “Tom and Jerry” live-action/animated hybrid. The studio has also brought on Chris Columbus as creative producer on the new “Scooby-Doo” animated movie.

Warners has been strengthening its animation slate since production on the “The Lego Movie,” which coincided with the formation of Warner Animation Group in 2013. Allison Abbate was tapped to oversee the division and executives, including Jesse Ehrman and president of production Courtenay Valenti, have made a big push to get classic titles like the Hanna-Barbera properties off the ground.

The studio understands how much of its history is rooted in these iconic characters, and wants to give them as much attention as DC and Harry Potter projects.

Warner Bros. is aiming for a balance of animated features and live-action hybrids, and in a rare move, the studio has made a concerted effort to make sure the animation and live-action teams are working hand in hand in developing these projects, something rarely seen at other studios. Executives also understand that for the animation to be strong for the hybrid projects, the VFX some studios use won’t work as well as going through the animation process, starting with storyboarding the characters, instead of pre-vis, to help develop each individual’s arc.

“Tom and Jerry” is expected to be the first live-action hybrid to shoot in 2019 and insiders say timing helped when it came to landing the “Ride Along” director, who had worked in animation. Story recently finished production on New Line’s “Shaft” reboot, and was talking to WB execs about what he was interested in doing next. When the classic cartoon property was brought up, Story immediately mentioned his admiration for the characters and how he’d love tackling that property.

For that film, the plan is to shoot in the real world with animated versions of the familiar cat and mouse duo. Sources also say that since Tom and Jerry didn’t speak and relied on physical comedy to draw laughs, this version will stick to that style and not cast actors to voice the duo. That decision should also help add to the international appeal of the film.

The other major live-action hybrid expected to go next year is the sequel to “Space Jam,” with NBA superstar LeBron James stepping into Michael Jordan’s shoes as he teams up with the Looney Tunes on the court this time around. “Black Panther” director Ryan Coogler is producing with Terence Nance directing. Production is expected to kick off next summer during James’ NBA off-season.

The studio is also making a “Wile E. Coyote vs. ACME” hybrid feature, with Chris McKay from the Lego universe helping shepherd development.

On the animation side, the untitled Scooby-Doo movie is full steam ahead with an expected release date in the first quarter of 2020. Columbus’ interest in the film started when he was developing the “Gremlins” reboot, which he is producing. Insiders say his affection for the character and WB animation was apparent, and he was soon asked to join the production as a creative producer working side by side with director Tony Cervone. Kelly Fremon Craig is writing the screenplay from a draft by Jack Donaldson and Derek Elliott.

WAG is also gearing up on its “Jetsons” movie with Matt Lieberman and “Sausage Party” director Conrad Vernon, and is also in deep development on “Flintstones” and “Wacky Races” features.

Outside of the classic cartoons, the Lego universe is still a major focus, with the sequel to “The Lego Movie 2” set for Feb. 8, 2019.

The studio clearly sees this division as one of its top priorities going forward in terms of building its business for years to come. As for all the DC-related properties and the possibility of giving them the animated treatment, one studio insider said, “don’t count anything out.”
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:19 am

I don't have much faith in a modern-day Tom and Jerry.

But Scooby-Doo, maybe.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby O.Supreme » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:16 pm

Never thought we'd get this

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scooby- ... 13th_Ghost

I've never been a big Scooby Doo fan. But 13 Ghosts captivated me as a kid. Vincent Price was a nice surprise, and this was one of very few HB cartoos that actually had an overarching season long plot, that sadly was never finished, until now, some 33+ years later!

I Know Scooby Doo is a hot commodity right now, but it gives me hope that someday, maybe they'll release a Pirates of Dark Water animated film that finally finishes that story.
Last edited by O.Supreme on Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Next

Return to I Wanna Watch Cartoons!!