Adventure Time!

From Scooby Doo to Adult Swim, from Johnny Quest to Samurai Jack; discuss cartoons and animation here!!

Moderator: Controllers

Re: Adventure Time!

Postby Ernesth100 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:27 pm

Hopefully it has something to do with the Mushroom War. But then again that sounds like something they should save for the show or the mini-series(incase you didn't know we're getting a mini-series too)so I imagine the Lich's Return and Fiin and Jake on one final quest to stop him once and for all would be nice. I imagine the general audience, that hasn't watched the show before will walk out of the theater completely mind f*cked.
Join http://www.megalast.webs.com
Its the bridge of Nerdvanna.

http://signavatar.com/32188_s.gif <There are so many monster pics in here.(Refresh)
Ernesth100
Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:41 pm

Semi-related: did anyone see the Aqua Teen Hunger force movie? It makes me wonder if this a property that can make the transition to feature length
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Ernesth100 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:19 pm

klen7 wrote:Semi-related: did anyone see the Aqua Teen Hunger force movie? It makes me wonder if this a property that can make the transition to feature length

Never saw it. I saw the Ed, Edd N Eddy Movie.

http://signavatar.com/32188_s.gif <There are so many monster pics in here.(Refresh)
Ernesth100
Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:06 pm

MekaGojira3k wrote:
Ernesth100 wrote:As for Adventure Time as a film. I'm kind of excited, but the show hasn't been doing too much to make me excited. Maybe the movie will tell a story that actually impacts the world in a way that isn't retconned in two episodes.

Hmmmm... I don't really see that at all. There's a lot of stuff that's changed: Finn and Jake still live together, but spend more of their time independently now that they're maturing; Flame Princess and Finn have broken up and she's now the Flame King; Billy is dead; Glob is dead; Primso died... but was brought back in a cool way; the Lich is a now a cute baby; Finn's met his dad and he's a self-centered creep; Bubblegum has decided to relax her supreme control and is evaluating what her limits should be as a monarch; Ice King's storyline is seemingly pointing towards him becoming Simon again, one day.

There's a lot that's changed, but I feel like change in Adventure Time is more of a natural people growing and changing over time. There are plenty of big revelations, but instead of causing massive upheaval they tend to reveal backstory and give greater depths to preexisting elements of the show.

As for what shape the movie takes, well, I'm of the opinion that it should (like the Spongebob and Simpsons films) be a part of the show's continuity, and I feel it almost certainly will be with Pen Ward working on the script. I don't think the film should rely on continuing the more complex, continuing storylines from the show. I think that would be a huge mistake, alienating potential new fans and becoming to insidery. A movie should stand on it's own, be accessible. I'd quite like a prequel, showing Jake becoming Finn's guardian and them moving into the tree house, meeting Bubblegum and Ice King for the first time. The beginning of their heroic career, you know? There's limits to this, naturally. It precludes characters they haven't met yet. Jeremy Shada's voice would have to be digitally altered to sound younger, or he'd have to manage doing a younger sounding voice himself, or he'd be recast (horror of horrors).

I think the most likely outcome will be a self-contained movie set in the show's world, featuring the favorite characters thrust into a new adventure that'll be wrapped up by the movie's end.

It's all very exciting.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Ernesth100 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:31 pm

That was all a great point. I too would like a prequel in that style. Something emotional and heartfelt like the "Simon and Marcy Episode" but action packed like The Lich Saga. So basically the movie should be like the "Dads Dungeon" episode which had both emotional and action packed moments.

Ernesth100
Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:05 pm

I just think that, of the things that changed, it's slight compared to what was teased and was possible. I've just gotten tired of them having such amazing options and ignoring them.

I think I can only take so many anticlimaxes in a row.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:56 pm

MekaGojira3k wrote:I just think that, of the things that changed, it's slight compared to what was teased and was possible. I've just gotten tired of them having such amazing options and ignoring them.

I'm at the point now where I just have to accept that Adventure Time will always go against my excpectations. I'll expect some huge showdown, but the storyline will actually be resolved in what amounts to a smaller, character-intensive episode.

I expected Bubblegum becoming a villain, what actually happened was she realized she was going too far and is now trying to correct her behavior. Now, that's less sexy and doesn't appeal to our collective bloodlust, but I really liked those episodes, and I must admit this was the more emotionally mature course. Adventure Time constantly proves it isn't a fantasy adventure at heart, but rather a story about characters, their relationships, and how they both mature - and it'a not afraid of including uncomfortable subjects: some characters struggle with mental illness, depression, and even the most likable characters are flawed. We love Jake, but Jake's a truly horrendous farher (though, in comparison, much better than Martin).

Several months ago I felt the show was winding down. It had it's longest hiatus, the once plentiful stream of merchandise was slowing down. Now we're into a really great run of episodes, that feeling of 'winding down' seems more like a buildup of intrigue, and there is a major motion picture coming. Although predicting is great fun, I have to admit I haven't been able to predict where AT is going worth a damn.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Ernesth100 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:37 pm

I think that unpredictability is what makes Adventure Time, Adventure Time.

Ernesth100
Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:33 pm

Got around to catching two episodes I missed this season: Dentist and Dark Purple, which were both terrific. I was especially taken with Dentist, which is a great example of AT going in a totally bizarre direction, then making it into some totally self-contained epic saga that's resolved in 11 minutes.

And I love it when they bring back those bizarre characters you thought you'd never see again from the more non-sequitur heavy first and second seasons. I wonder if we'll ever see Donny the grass ogre or Mannish Man come back?
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:33 pm

Cool Art:
Adventure Time meets Mad Max: Fury Road
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:04 pm

You know, I really enjoyed the season finale stuff with the Catalyst Comet, Martin, references to Jake's croak dream, and Orgalorg ("You were too busy making out!")... but, for me, the single most memorable moment of the week of new episodes was Marceline's hygiene ritual of pulling parasites out of her orifices.

eeew.

Anyway, hey: that was Tig Notaro as the voice of the Catalyst Comet.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:29 am

io9:
Adventure Time is Finally Telling The Whole Story of Marceline the Vampire Queen
Season seven of Adventure Time returns November 2nd with regular episodes, but on November 14th a Marceline eigth-part miniseries, “Stakes,” will debut.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:34 pm

^I'm excited! A self-contained, long(er) form story seems like a great way to go. Glad they got Rebecca Sugar back, too!

I didn't dislike Season 6 (I've made that clear here), but I do think its a wise decision to step away from the high percentage of more philosophical, impenetrable (and an increasingly melancholic) episodes and getting back-to-basics. I was watching my Season 3 Blu-Ray the other day and got to 'What Was Missing,' and thought how I'd love to see a return of more episodes like that.

I also still think one of the biggest detriments to Season 6 was erratic, random scheduling with long breaks in between. I suppose Pen stepping down and movie deal stuff caused behind the scenes stuff to run less smoothly than normal?
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:11 pm

Hey, Season 7 starts today!

Back on Mondays and at a respectable time slot adults can catch? It's like the clock's been turned back a few years!
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:45 am

Well, after the first five episodes of Season 7 I'm pretty happy. Two of the episodes were utterly terrific (Varmints and Football), one was a delightful throwback to the show's original tone (Mama Said) and the other two... well, were pretty good, if not quite impressive as the three I listed. If they keep this up, I think they'll have made their way back to that preferred blend of the different types of episodes that Season 5 had. Three thoughts:

- I was delighted to see Canyon again. I agree with Jack: she's so cool.
- Love how BMO's fantasy life can veer so naturally from whimsy to existential terror.
- Love, love, love the interactions between Bubblegum and Marceline in Varmints. This is just what I wanted when I said I wanted more episodes like What Was Missing. Can't wait for Stakes next week!
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:55 pm

Wow, I leave for a while and Adventure Time became good again. That's nice. :D
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:07 pm

Stakes, the week-long miniseries with a spotlight on Marceline, begins tonight!

... and apparently Paul Williams is in it!
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:11 pm

Stop-motion episode next week!
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:10 pm

mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:10 pm

^Super cool! I bet Pen Ward got a big kick out of it, as Simpsons was like his religion growing up.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:55 am

Deadline:
Cult Hit Animated Series ‘Adventure Time’ To End In 2018
Erik Pedersen wrote:Prepare to bid a fond farewell to bacon pancakes. Cartoon Network announced today that its Peabody- and Emmy-winning animated series Adventure Time will be ending in 2018 — eight years and 71 hours of programming after it began. Adventure Time content will continue to debut on Cartoon Network over the next two years, including specials, miniseries and the ninth and final season.

The Pendleton Ward-created series centers on the post-apocalyptic adventures of Finn the Human (Jeremy Shada) and Jake the Dog (John DiMaggio), best friends who have increasingly surreal adventures in the magical Land of Ooo. Long acclaimed for its groundbreaking visual style and mixture of darkness and whimsy, the show has won six Emmys and two BAFTAs. It has also long attracted numerous celebrity guests including Andy Samberg, Matthew Broderick, Laura Silverman, George Takei, Rainn Wilson and Neil Patrick Harris.

Since its 2010 debut, Adventure Time has been one of Cartoon Network’s most enduring cult hits, spawning a passionate fanbase of both kids and adults and becoming an incubator for emerging talent, some of whom have gone on to create such hits as Steven Universe, Over the Garden Wall and Clarence. It has also spun off more than 100 global licenses including an apparel line, a comic book series, toys and video games.

“Adventure Time changed the definition of what a kids’ TV series could be, and it’s had a resounding impact upon popular culture around the world,” said Rob Sorcher, chief content officer for Cartoon Network. “Cartoon Network Studios is proud to have brought together this group of brilliant artists and animators who helped make Adventure Time one of the most critically acclaimed TV series of a generation.”

Said Ward: “Adventure Time was a passion project for the people on the crew who poured their heart into the art and stories. We tried to put into every episode something genuine and telling from our lives, and make a show that was personal to us, and that had jokes too! I’m really happy that it connected with an audience for so long. It’s a special thing, I think.”

Executive produced by Adam Muto and produced by Cartoon Network Studios, the ninth and final season of Adventure Time is currently in production.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:01 pm

It'll be sad to see it go, but I think it's wise. Season 7 had some of the series' best episodes, so if they keep that quality up for the two further seasons they'll be going out on top.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:21 am

Variety:
TV News Roundup: Cartoon Network Sets ‘Adventure Time’ Miniseries for January
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Re: Adventure Time: Islands & Frederator's Castlevania

Postby mr.negativity » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:42 am

SPOILERS!
Cinemablend:
The Adventure Time: Islands miniseries will be available on DVD on January 24, and the 8-episode event will air from January 30 to February 2 on Cartoon Network.
phpBB [media]

What The Adventure Time Studio Is Doing Next
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:29 pm

I loved Season 7, and it's early yet (only five episodes) but I think Season 8 may top it.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

PreviousNext

Return to I Wanna Watch Cartoons!!