The Simpsons

From Scooby Doo to Adult Swim, from Johnny Quest to Samurai Jack; discuss cartoons and animation here!!

Moderator: Controllers

The Simpsons

Postby jellydonut25 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:04 am

Oh man, remember when this was BAR NONE the BEST show on television???

I just randomly popped in an episode from Season 6 today and laughed for almost 22 straight minutes.

Two Dozen and One Greyhounds.

It features one of my FAVORITE Homer Simpson quotes:
"You're lucky boy because it's spankin' season, and I've got a hankerin' for a SPANKERIN!!!!"

there's also a hundred and one (pun intended) other laughs in this episode.

I still do love The Simpsons, and I ultimately will be getting every season on DVD (I pretty much stopped watching after season 14, so as far as I know, there may be a couple of worthwhile episodes in the other seasons), but it just really, REALLY is missing some greatness that it once had...it's been BETTER lately, but unfortunately, nothing can or will ever come close to the glory that was seasons 4-10 (I now have to find the Hank Scorpio episode...that one is GENIUS)
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Benjamin Haines » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:04 pm

It's certainly not as great as it once was, but it's still a good, consistently funny show. I don't keep up with it regularly, but whenever I happen to catch a more recent episode it always ends up being fun to watch.

The show first started airing in 1989, the year I was born. When I was a kid, it was the show that my parents stipulated my brothers and I weren't allowed to watch, and so it became one of my favorite shows and sneaking a viewing of it whenever I could was constantly one of my top priorities. When I graduated high school in 2007, The Simpsons Movie hit theaters just a couple of months later. I really can't imagine a world where The Simpsons isn't still going, and the day that it gets canceled is going to be a very sad day indeed. Long live The Simpsons!
Benjamin Haines
Burning Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:35 pm

I sort of missed being in the Simpsons generation. Had I been born 2 or 3 years earlier I would probably be much more enamored with it, but I missed it at its prime and instead saw and loved the adult animated shows that followed in its wake.

Now I just think of it as inferior to its sister show, Futurama.
Last edited by lhb412 on Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:49 pm

Yeah, I was born in '85 so, I was watching TV when The Simpsons was in its PRIME. In fact, I remember on Thursday nights with a friend and we'd go over to each other's houses and watch the new episode...in fact, my first memory of doing so is way back when I was six and we got together to watch treehouse of horror II
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby KaijuHQ » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:45 pm

I grew up with the Simpsons as well (born in 83). My family didn't want me watching it either and I pretty much didn't until probably 1994. Loved sneaking in viewings here and there and have been hooked ever since. The Treehouse of Terror shows have always been a happy reminder of my childhood and the Halloween season (which is also my birthday). Always helps me get in the mood for it.

Futurama is a great show as well.
KaijuHQ
Godzilla

Postby Arrow » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:05 pm

Although the show was on before I was born, I did watch it as a child whenever it came on (my parents were never strict about the things I saw on television). And I liked it, even though I was far more enamored with other cartoons. Looking back on the older episodes (from seasons 1-10), I do enjoy them quite a lot.

These days I find the newest episodes of the show quite boring. They're nothing but rehashes of what came before. And I'm personally annoyed with the fact that they've maintained such a strict status quo for the last ten or so years. This show continues to rely on a bland tried-and-true method. The newest episodes of the show are really nothing but background noise while I wait for Family Guy to come on.

But the older episodes (mostly the '90s episodes) are still funny. My favorite is probably the Season Five Sideshow Bob episode Cape Feare.
Arrow
Little Godzilla

Postby kidnicky » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:43 pm

I still think this is a great show that's lost popularity in some circles because it doesn't cater to the lowest viewers the way Seth McFarlane's shows do.
Twitter rxchrisg
kidnicky
Burning Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:30 am

Seaons 1-8 are the good ones. 3-7 being the best, with Season 8 being the last really good season. Season 9 has a couple winners. Season 10 has like 3 good ones. Everything else is unbearable, except the movie. I think season 11 or early season 12 is when I gave up, and the few I've seen since have all been bad to downright unwatchable.

Its simply one of the worst shows on TV now. Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0Bx2phCINw
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby jellydonut25 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:50 am

Season 11 still has more than its fair share of winners:
Beyond Blunderdome
E-I-E-I-(Annoyed Grunt)
Take My Wife Sleaze
The Mansion Family (actually an amazing episode, IMHO)
Saddlesore Galactica
Missionary: Impossible

and let's not forget
A Tale of Two Springfields
Skinner's Sense of Snow (another HILARIOUS one)
Hungry, Hungry Homer
and (an all-time excellent episode) Trilogy of Error
all from Season 12...

Season 13 is where it fell off for me (with Weekend at Burnsie's being the only standout episode) and Season 14 is where I personally gave up...
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby king_ghidorah » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:38 am

jellydonut25 wrote:Season 11 still has more than its fair share of winners:
Beyond Blunderdome
E-I-E-I-(Annoyed Grunt)
Take My Wife Sleaze
The Mansion Family (actually an amazing episode, IMHO)
Saddlesore Galactica
Missionary: Impossible

and let's not forget
A Tale of Two Springfields
Skinner's Sense of Snow (another HILARIOUS one)
Hungry, Hungry Homer
and (an all-time excellent episode) Trilogy of Error
all from Season 12...

Season 13 is where it fell off for me (with Weekend at Burnsie's being the only standout episode) and Season 14 is where I personally gave up...

This sounds about right...I don't know about anyone else but I'd take bad Simpsons over good Family Guy on most days
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Legion » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:46 am

king_ghidorah wrote:
This sounds about right...I don't know about anyone else but I'd take bad Simpsons over good Family Guy on most days

Yuck, really?
http://legion1979.tumblr.com/

Hello, Nice Warners! - A Thorough Analysis of Every Animaniacs Episode
Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:52 pm

Family Guy started out excellent, then after it came back from cancellation it became hit-or-miss. But the most recent season has been about 90% hits.
Benjamin Haines
Burning Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:52 pm

old episodes of family guy don't hold up AT ALL...the original seasons are just ok...the stuff right after they came back was almost universally bad, the recent stuff is very good
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby jellydonut25 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:01 pm

Oh Marge, anybody could miss Canada...all tucked away down there...
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby jellydonut25 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:34 am

Halloween...

in addition to cramming in many, many movies, i will MAKE SURE i watch every single treehouse of horror i can get my grubby paws on...

the first one (which i snuck in today) is a bit weak, played a touch more straight than the ones that would come later, but i have a place in my heart for it.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Reaper G » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:08 am

I still watch, I know it's not what it once was, but partly out of habit and partly because it still has its moments, I'm still there.

Sasha Baron Cohen's guest appearance was as funny as anything from the glory years, in my opinion.
Pest, MSTie, Foodie, G-fan, Wrestlemaniac, and geek-at-large
http://reaper_g.livejournal.com
Reaper G
Heisei Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:48 am

Watched Treehouse of Horror II today...

I guess I forgot that this one was the second one.
monkey's paw, bart as the "monster" from twilight zone, homer as the robot...FUNNY stuff and a lot of it not necessarily "halloween" related:

like when they are leaving Morocco and Homer has to pay a fine of TWO American dollars... :lol:
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby KaijuHQ » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:24 am

jellydonut25 wrote:Watched Treehouse of Horror II today...

I really wish they'd put all of the Treehouse of Horror episodes thus far on one DVD (instead of the four in one they did). Those always really put me in the Halloween mood. :evil: :twisted:
KaijuHQ
Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:49 pm

KaijuHQ wrote:
jellydonut25 wrote:Watched Treehouse of Horror II today...

I really wish they'd put all of the Treehouse of Horror episodes thus far on one DVD (instead of the four in one they did). Those always really put me in the Halloween mood. :evil: :twisted:
i'm probably going to make a couple of DVD collections of the treehouse stuff on my own, tbh...

i figure I can fit like 6 eps onto each disc, so i can safely make myself 3 discs for eps 1-18...

then from there i play the waiting game until they hit 24 or cancel the series, whichever comes first (and honestly, they might happen the same year, because that'd be season 25...)
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby jellydonut25 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:41 am

I've been watching some Simpsons on DVD lately.

Season 1 definitely doesn't really hold up...there are occasional moments here and there, but by and large they are poorly drawn, and most of the value is gone as the whole attraction was the shock of seeing an animated show where the characters were as crude as Bart and Homer. It's kinda like South Park for the first few seasons where all the attraction was in seeing a group of animated children swearing.

Season Two, however, while the episodes themselves are kinda hit and miss, there are some all-time CLASSIC episodes on there: Bart Gets Hit by a Car, Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?. One Fish, Two Fish, Blowfish, Blue Fish, Three Men and a Comic Book, and Blood Feud. Are absolute winners.

And it only gets better on the first bit of Season 3 which I've also watched recently, where you've got Homer Defined and When Flanders Failed as absolute AMAZING episodes.

It's really not at all difficult to understand how this show took off as fast as it did considering by the start of Season 3 it was firing on ALL cylinders.

My favorite line thus far from my recent viewings has to be from Blood Feud.
Mr. Burns - I could crush him like an ant, but that would be too easy. Revenge is a dish best served cold. I'll bide my time and then...oh hell, I'll just crush him like an ant.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby The Top Crusader » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:05 pm

I was a huge fan for quite a long time... I wasn't allowed to see it as a kid but once it hit syndication when I was in jr. high it was on a lot and I ended up sneaking around to watch it quite a bit. Once I was in college and the DVDs were coming out, I kept up with those for quite a while... although I'm a few behind now and have only caught a few new episodes in the last few years. I really do want to eventually get them all, though.
The Top Crusader
Godzilla Jr.

Postby MekaGojira3k » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:36 pm

When I was a kid my dad didn't want me to watch it. Now I'm an adult and I have no desire to.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Fri May 04, 2012 10:35 am

When this show started, I was 4 years older than Bart. Now I am probably as old, or older than Homer :lol: . I have all the regular season DVD's available (1-14 &20). I thought I had seen every episode, but in the last seaosn set I think there were a couple i hadn't, thats the one nice thigns about getting them on DVD. Now if only Netflix or Hulu would get the whole series, that would be nice, because at the rate of 1 seaosn/year they are never going to get caught up, until long after the show ends, and by that time, there will probably be only downloadable episodes.
Film Wish List:1. Gamera Super Monster with Filmways opening/closing credits
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Fri May 04, 2012 2:40 pm

MekaGojira3k wrote:When I was a kid my dad didn't want me to watch it. Now I'm an adult and I have no desire to.
missing out on some of the funniest stuff of all-time.

seasons 3-12 are incredible. That's a long time for a show to stay as consistently on top as this show did.

The funniest episodes of the Simpsons are some of the greatest things TV will ever see.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby MekaGojira3k » Fri May 04, 2012 9:37 pm

I mean, I've tried watching it, but I never laugh during it. If I do, it's barely a chuckle.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Next

Return to I Wanna Watch Cartoons!!