Batman: The Animated Series

From Scooby Doo to Adult Swim, from Johnny Quest to Samurai Jack; discuss cartoons and animation here!!

Moderator: Controllers

Batman: The Animated Series

Postby Henry88 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:00 pm

perhaps the only reason i got up on Saturday morning was to see this show

mark hamill as the joker was great
Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:08 pm

You know, Hamil is a great Joker, but he is so over hyped. I've got nothing against him (especially his Batman Beyond incarnation), but I am just sick of always hearing, "They should have Mark Hamil do his voice in <insert title>." Even people were bitching that Hamil was not doing his voice for The Dark Knight, which got on my nerves, and now people are like, "They better have Hamil do the voice of Kefka in Final Fantasy Dissidia, as he is the only one who can do it." Like I said, I like Hamil, but not every version of Joker nor clown character requires Hamil.

Anyway, Batman TAS is awesome. My favorite episodes are:

Almost Got'Em
Over the Edge
Feat of Clay
The Forgotten
Off Balance
The Demon's Quest
Judgment Day
Legends of the Dark Knight

The worst episode awards go to Terrible Trio, The Underdwellers, and Critters.

I do have to say though, I never cared for their version of Penguin. I know why they did him how they did, but I never cared for Devito's version to begin with. Oh yeah, and Scarecrow got even better every time they changed his look, especially in the redesigned series when he looked just plain out creepy.

BTW, I love yoru Schwartzwalde avatar. I might have to update mine and turn it into Alan Gabriel.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Henry88 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:31 pm

BTW, I love yoru Schwartzwalde avatar

thanks
Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:27 pm

This show is the single greatest Batman media ever created, bar none.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby canofhumdingers » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:52 pm

I love this show! & yeah, it is probably the best Batman media out there over all. Hamill was great as the Joker, but whoever it was that did Batman's voice was FANTASTIC. When i read Batman comics on occasion, that is the voice i hear. This show just got SO MUCH about the Batman universe just right! I keep telling my wife that I want the whole series DVD set... (i do have to give credit to Nolan's Batman movies for reviving my Batman fanism. He also got A LOT right, those are two fantastic movies. Easily my favorite superhero movies ever.)
canofhumdingers
Burning Godzilla

Postby Jon Leo » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:08 am

Might be my all time favorite TV series. Also a big fan of the film Mask of the Phantasm, which after The Dark Knight, is my favorite Batman movie.

Favorites episodes include:

Heart of Ice
Almost Got 'Im
Beware the Gray Ghost
Mad Love
Over the Edge
Harlequinade
Harley and Ivy
Harley's Holiday
House and Garden
Feat of Clay
Mudslide
Trial
Two Face
Perchance to Dream
Robin's Reckoning
Terror in the Sky
The Man Who Killed Batman
Legends of the Dark Knight
Growing Pains

I could go on and on. I just love this series.

That said, I'm still not incredibly fond of some of the character design changes that were done for The New Batman Adventures (New Batman/Superman Adventures), but it still gave us some incredible episodes (even if it gave us a few clunkier and sillier ones like Critters and The Demon Within).
Jon Leo
Little Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:39 am

The Demon Within is a great episode, but I'm also an Etrigan fan.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Xenorama » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:42 am

this got Batman "right" far more than any movie could ever have hoped to.

David
Xenorama
Monster 01

Postby Destroysall » Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:19 am

I love this series the best! That's what I think about whenever I hear or talk about Batman. I prefer this one rather than the new one. I don't like the new one at all! I even enjoyed Beyond much more than the new one. I still think this one takes the cake! :D
uhh...
Destroysall
Burning Godzilla

Postby Jon Leo » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:43 pm

Dr Kain wrote:The Demon Within is a great episode, but I'm also an Etrigan fan.

I've got nothing against Etrigan, I just couldn't stand Klarion the Witch Boy.

I don't like the new one at all! I even enjoyed Beyond much more than the new one.

Which new one are you talking about? The Batman? Batman Brave and the Bold? The Nolan films?
Jon Leo
Little Godzilla

Postby TheMaster » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:22 pm

Xenorama wrote:this got Batman "right" far more than any movie could ever have hoped to.

David

I'd say that as well for the Superman series. And clancy brown easily best Luthor ever.
TheMaster
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Destroysall » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:47 pm

Mothraleo wrote:
Dr Kain wrote:
I don't like the new one at all! I even enjoyed Beyond much more than the new one.

Which new one are you talking about? The Batman? Batman Brave and the Bold? The Nolan films?

The Batman. I haven't seen much of Brave and the Bold. I enjoyed the Nolan films though. But I didn't enjoy The Batman.
uhh...
Destroysall
Burning Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:02 am

Give The Batman Season 4 a watch, as that sold me on the show. It gave us more mature stories, Black Mask killed a man, and then there was an episode where Gotham became zombified. Not just that, but they did a futurstic episode that gave us a really bad ass cool looking Batman, along with Oracle and such. The first season is not all of that great, but the second season had some fantastic episodes, especially those that featured Riddler (who is the most badass reiteration of the character), etc. It is a shame the show ended just as it was becoming good, but then again, the same thing happened to Teen Titans. Season 4 was fantastic, and then they canned it after that.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:36 am

Destroysall wrote:The Batman. I haven't seen much of Brave and the Bold. I enjoyed the Nolan films though. But I didn't enjoy The Batman.

Brave in the Bold is really well done. TAS already did the serious Batman to perfection, so Brave and the Bold went an entirely different direction by adapting the '50s and '60s Batman, the Adam West era, and you can't say it's not faithful to the comics because it is steeped in DC comics lore and I (a comics novice) learn something new every time I watch it.

Only one bad thing: Batman has met Green Arrow, Etrigan, Bat Mite, and Plastic Man in the show... so where is the Swamp Thing episode? Get on it Cartoon Netwark!

Anyway, back to Batman TAS. This show was always a favorite throughout my childhood. I remember the Clayface episode scaring me to death.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

swamp

Postby Xenorama » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:53 pm

the rights to Swamp Thing may still be owned by some other studio at this point.

having not seen any of the Brave and the Bold, I am looking forward to it. I also enjoyed Legion of Super Heroes, but really disliked Teen Titans faux anime style. everything that was wrong with anime was stuck into that series.

Superman is pretty great as well.

David
Xenorama
Monster 01

Postby lhb412 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:56 pm

^Hmmmm.... you'd think Warner Brothers would have the rights to Swamp Thing because they own DC comics, but I suppose they may have sold/leased the rights to someone else years ago so they're tied up.

...I think I remember thearing that there were some Swamp Thing cameos in Justice League Unlimited, but he was always in the background and they never acknowledged who the character was. That supports the "they can't use Swamp Thing" theory.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:36 am

Probably my favorite serious cartoon show ever.

They really did a LOT right in this and the episodes still hold up pretty well.

Haven't watched any episodes in a while so I don't remember names but any episodes with Man-Bat, Killer Croc, Mr. Freeze and the Joker were AWESOME. The ones with the Penguin and some of the other villains, not so much.

Couple that I actually REMEMBER as awesome though:
-Joker has the garbage barge that causes people to uncontrollably laugh "You killed Captain Clown!"
-The Riddler has that virtual reality machine
-The Riddler has the Labyrinth maze and Batman hijacks the flying hand

don't specifically REMEMBER any other episodes
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Dr Kain » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:09 am

lhb412 wrote:...I think I remember thearing that there were some Swamp Thing cameos in Justice League Unlimited, but he was always in the background and they never acknowledged who the character was. That supports the "they can't use Swamp Thing" theory.

That isn't true, as more than half of the characters in JLU were just a wallpaper. Obsidian, Nemesis, Blue Devil, Crimson Fox, Captain Steel, etc, all of them were just there just because they needed to throw random people into the background.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Re: swamp

Postby Destroysall » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:00 pm

Xenorama wrote:the rights to Swamp Thing may still be owned by some other studio at this point.

I'm not sure if it still is, but I did find the Swamp Thing Television Series and it was a DVD by Mill Creek Entertainment. Not sure about the movie though.
uhh...
Destroysall
Burning Godzilla

Postby kidnicky » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:22 pm

In a couple years,we'll be asking why Supes doesn't appear in any cartoons,and someone will have to remind us Warners doesn't have the rights! :P

I'm probably going to get burned at the stake for this,but BTAS is only my second favorite Batman cartoon. Brave and the Bold is my favorite. I wasn't really a fan of the Burtonised look and feel of the 90's shows. i just prefer the iconic DC Superheroes I grew up with.
Twitter rxchrisg
kidnicky
Burning Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:54 pm

Compared to The Batman and Batman TAS, Brave and the Bold is a dreadful series. However, on its own, it is decent, unless it features Aquaman, then the episode is guaranteed to suck.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby kidnicky » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:27 pm

Dr Kain wrote:Compared to The Batman and Batman TAS, Brave and the Bold is a dreadful series. However, on its own, it is decent, unless it features Aquaman, then the episode is guaranteed to suck.

See,I hate this attitude that everyone has to have these days. How is a show "dreadful" when it contains any amount of humor? You are aware the Batman character has appeared in as many fun,Silver age style stories as he has boo-scary-macabre ones,right?
I do find it funny that you're praising "The Batman",since it's the only adaptation I'd call "dreadful." Let's compare it to BatB for a second-The Batman features absurd character redesigns like a Burton Penguin and a Marilyn Manson Riddler (made after Manson was allready passe,no less),whereas BatB features the characters looking as if they just stepped off the page.

Also I'm biased because they showed oldschool Catwoman's SWEET plane and her awesome green and purple costume. Also,Batman told Robin to "Meet me on the corner of Haney and Aparo" in one of the best references of all time. BEST SHOW EVAR.

Anyway,to those who dismiss this show as "dreadful," I'd advise you to check out the Bat Mite episode to see yourselves appear in a cameo. :wink:
Twitter rxchrisg
kidnicky
Burning Godzilla

Postby metal_bryan » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:23 am

One of my favorite cartoons of all time. Batman will probably never get any better than this in any medium other than the comics themselves.
metal_bryan
Controller

Postby mbozzo » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:51 pm

The Bruce Timm version of Batman was good for its time. It's a pity that we can't see any more of Bruce Timm version of Batman. :D
mbozzo
Godzilla

BNB

Postby Xenorama » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:18 pm

Brave and the Bold is a lot of fun. I don't care for all the characterizations (like Aquaman, but they had to make him less like the Sub-mariner somehow), but the new Bat voice is quite good and there's so much comic fan geekery hidden that I love it.

http://xenorama.blogspot.com/2010/01/yo ... oudly.html

so far this is my favorite shot.

David
Xenorama
Monster 01

Next

Return to I Wanna Watch Cartoons!!