DC Direct to Video Releases

From Scooby Doo to Adult Swim, from Johnny Quest to Samurai Jack; discuss cartoons and animation here!!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby O.Supreme » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:50 pm

I would hope so... being unable to "animater water" Never stopped Aquaman from appearing in any prevous DC series. One of the first season JL story arcs has probably close to 30 minuets of underwater footage in Atlantis back in 2001.
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:14 am

I think (to get more specific) it had something to do with them telling Green that they didn't want a lot of stuff to happen around the surface, as opposed to under water (I might have it the other way around, but it was either that or limit the amount of stuff under water), and he had a big battle planned that would have had a lot of uh... "watery" (for lack of a better term) stuff planned with Aquaman and Ocean Master.
MouthForWar
Controller

Re: DC Direct to Video Releases

Postby mr.negativity » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:37 pm

'Wonder Woman' Movie May Be On The Way, Won't Be Called 'Wonder Woman'
Supervising producer for DC animated movies says there'll "probably" be a Wonder Woman-centric project in the future, under the "Justice League" brand.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:02 pm

That would be nice. Since 2015 will have thwe Batman/Superman film, it would nice to hve the animated films stear clear of these (since 2014 already has Son of Batman & Arkham Asylum on the way). Justice League is fine, just no more solo Batman or Superman movies for a while please WB... :?
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:20 pm

mr.negativity wrote:'Wonder Woman' Movie May Be On The Way, Won't Be Called 'Wonder Woman'
Supervising producer for DC animated movies says there'll "probably" be a Wonder Woman-centric project in the future, under the "Justice League" brand.

The Mary Sue looked a little closer at this
http://www.themarysue.com/wonder-woman-animated-name/

Turns out the Wonder Woman "not being marketable so they are labeling it JLA" is a bit off based on past performance....It actually sits at #4 for their best selling direct-to-video titles

1 Superman: Doomsday $9,455,120
2 Superman/Batman: Public Enemies $8,479,891
3 Batman: Gotham Knight $8,072,890
4 Wonder Woman $7,584,099
5 Batman: Under the Red Hood $7,162,929
6 Superman/Batman: Apocalypse $6,330,826
7 Green Lantern: First Flight $6,265,172
8 Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths $5,426,113
9 Justice League: The New Frontier $5,242,952
10 All-Star Superman $4,673,815
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:21 pm

There are a couple of factors that may skew that however...

The earlier releases (including Wonder Woman) were only available on DVD and were generally about 20-25% more expensive than the average more recent DC animated films . Also since most now are available for digital download for a fraction of the DVD/BRD price (or free from piracy), that can produce low sales numbers as well, even though many of the films may be more "popular" that dosen't necassarily translate to more money.

The last film had a "Justice League" subtitle, however Flash, Wonder Woman, & Aquaman were the principal characters.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby Russzilla » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:42 pm

Here's the debut trailer for Justice League: War

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/10/28/ju ... iler-debut
Russzilla
Heisei Godzilla

Postby XvGojira » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:50 pm

Russzilla wrote:Here's the debut trailer for Justice League: War

At work, with no audio. Man that looks good.
XvGojira
Burning Godzilla

Postby Russzilla » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:04 pm

XvGojira wrote:
Russzilla wrote:Here's the debut trailer for Justice League: War

At work, with no audio. Man that looks good.

I have to get used to those New 52 uniforms.
Russzilla
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:48 pm

Good god, WW and Darkseid look like complete ****!!! To top it off, Darkseid songs like ****!! Steven Blum is an awesome VA, but Darkseid he is NOT!!
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby XvGojira » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:58 am

Dr Kain wrote:Good god, WW and Darkseid look like complete ****!!! To top it off, Darkseid songs like ****!! Steven Blum is an awesome VA, but Darkseid he is NOT!!

Okay they need to level out the music, I could barely hear any lines. But yeah, Steve Blum is just doing his generic mean voice. He might be able to do a good Darkseid but he needs some good motivation and direction to do it but I'd prefer if they got some one more appropriate.
XvGojira
Burning Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:01 pm

The Animation looks great. I'm guessing studio 4C ? (same as Flashpoint) . Voice Casting- not so much. Romano is a great scout for voice talent, but any time she goes back to her "regulars" from the DCAU days, that automatically makes things better. I'm not a huge fan of new 52, but I still think they should have stayed true to the original with Aquaman, and not substituted Captain Marvel, even though Marvel is a personal favorite of mine. I agree Steve Blum is incredibly talented, but he is not a good fit for Darkseid. In fact here's the list of past Darkseid VA's :

http://voicechasers.com/database/search ... y=Darkseid

Micheal Ironsides & Frank Welker were both great. I noticed David Sobolov on that list. I have the Ps2 JL Heroes game, but haven't played it forever. Based on his voices of Depthcharge from Beast Wars & Shockwave from TF :Prime, I think he would have been a better fit. I have to hope this film is marginally satisfying. 2013 was a good year for DCU animated films. with 2 of the 3 from 2014 being batman (yet again) everything I have to look forward to rests solely on this film
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:41 pm

I think they should have stuck with the Flashpoint voices since this is a sequel to that. I just hope this also doesn't mean all we are going to see are N52 adaptations when it isn't Batman from now on.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:13 pm

Yeah unfortunately we wont know until SDCC 2014 about DC's 2015 animated films (or even if they are going to continue releasing them...). There is so much good material to draw from, I can't see them "just" using the New 52 stuff.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:39 am

We still need to know what the plans are for 2014 outside of War.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:53 am

Dr Kain wrote:Good god, WW and Darkseid look like complete ****!!!
i thought WW looked great... still not digging this Superman costume though...
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:46 pm

klen7 wrote:

WW doesn't even remotely resemble her N52 look.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:01 pm

Dr Kain wrote:We still need to know what the plans are for 2014 outside of War.

it was reported a few months ago (see previous pages)

Summer 2014 -son of Batman &
Fall 2014 - Batman - Assault on Arkham

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_Univers ... nal_Movies
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:53 pm

Dr Kain wrote:
klen7 wrote:

WW doesn't even remotely resemble her N52 look.

You say that like its a bad thing. :wink:
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:13 am

klen7 wrote:WW doesn't even remotely resemble her N52 look.

You say that like its a bad thing. :wink:[/quote]

Seeing as her look in the N52 is not that different from her classic look, and this looks nothing like either version, yes, it is a bad thing.

O.Supreme wrote:it was reported a few months ago (see previous pages)

Summer 2014 -son of Batman &
Fall 2014 - Batman - Assault on Arkham

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_Univers ... nal_Movies

So 2 more Batman movies in a row?! :roll:

It would be nice if they actually were to put Judas Contract into production again. That was one of the ones I wanted to see the most. Anyway, if that is what 2014 has to offer in the terms of DC movies, we're ****ed! That means we have nothing truly different to look forward to until 2015 unless they start doing some more friggin Showcase shorts. They could easily do a Swamp Thing short. Hell, I would also love to see another Spectre one since his short is by far the best thing to come out of all of the DC animated movies. Plus I want to see one on Dr Fate or the Question. Oh, and a Metal Men or JL Dark would be nice. In fact, they need to just do obscure characters in 2015 like the Metal Men, Legion of Super Heroes (yes, they are widely known, but DC doesn't act like it), or the JSA if they are going to flood 2014 with nothing but Batman.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:35 am

Dr Kain wrote: That means we have nothing truly different to look forward to until 2015

Yep pretty much. Especially since CN has pretty mucy killed DC's TV series as well. I think most of us agree Beware the Batman wont go past 26 episodes, Teen Titans Go! is a flippin' joke, and there dosen't appear to be anythign else on the development horizon as far as we know. Some new showcase shorts would be awesome, and more obscure characters in 2015 would be a nice change, or just keep giving us Justice League stories with a diverse lineup.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:05 am

The only JL team I want to see a movie on at this point is JL Dark.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:25 pm

DC Wants Aquaman To Make A Bigger Splash
Brian Steinberg wrote:In the comics, Aquaman is, more or less, King of the Seven Seas. In Hollywood, the veteran superhero is treated like a three-day-old tuna fish sandwich.

Despite his long tenure in the pages of DC Entertainment’s comics, the sea-soaked adventurer has, over the decades, seemed all wet. While Aquaman is recognized as king of the undersea country of Atlantis, writers have had problems dealing with him when he’s asked to take part in land-based adventures with the publisher’s vaunted Justice League of America, of which he’s a charter member. And despite a multitude of page-turning exploits – he’s had part of his arm amputated and, in a family tragedy rarely seen in the four-color pages of the comics, lost a baby son to villainy – Aquaman is still viewed as decidedly second-tier.

Is it his odd orange-and-green wardrobe? A writer’s fear of the water? Telepathic fish-commanding powers that are difficult to depict on the printed page? It’s hard to know. But while other DC heroes like Superman, Batman, and Green Arrow have enjoyed heady success at the movies and on TV, Aquaman has not: In recent years, his attempts at stardom include a failed pilot at The CW (network insiders say it was awful) and status as a long-running gag on HBO’s “Entourage” (where the central character played Aquaman in a fictional blockbuster).

At DC, efforts have been afoot for months to help Aquaman, well, catch a wave. “He’s a priority character for the company,” said Geoff Johns, DC Entertainment’s chief creative officer.

Already, the company has announced plans for an animated Aquaman tale to be issued soon via DVD. Sales on Johns’ “Aquaman” series have remained steady, according to data from Diamond Comic Distributors, and the title routinely places in the top 50 comics sold each month to comic book specialty shops. In October, “Aquaman #25” sold about 42,248 copies, according to Comichron, a web site that tracks comic-book sales. That’s a few thousand more comics sold than Marvel’s cult-favorite archer “Hawkeye” and even more than former Batman sidekick “Nightwing,” but fewer than those notched by Batman, The Avengers or The X-Men.

Johns is about to wrap up about three years of work on reviving the character – strengthening his supporting cast and building an ongoing monthly series. His last issue of “Aquaman,” the series’ 25th, debuts Wednesday. Starting next month, the Sea King’s adventures will be penned by Jeff Parker, a comics scribe best known, perhaps, for his work on “Agents of Atlas,” a Marvel seres that built a group of unaffiliated characters from the 1940s and 1950s into a team. Will he be able to lend the character new depths?

“Aquaman’s root problem is that he’s boring,” said Peter Coogan, author of the 2006 book “Superhero: The Secret Origin of a Genre.” Plotlines that might drum up new interest, he said, come with limitations. Playing up the character’s royal heritage might set him at odds with surface governments, potentially turning him into a villain. Setting him up as an advocate for the oceans could also draw him into conflict. “In many ways, he suffers from the problems that plague King Arthur as a main character,” said Coogan, including being too fraught with responsibility, “which is why most Arthurian stories are not about Arthur but about his knights.”

Aquaman’s voyage is of more importance to DC than one might think. The Time Warner-owned unit is eager to take more of its comic-book celebrities and make them stars of TV, movies and other entertainment properties. In recent months, characters like The Flash and Commissioner Gordon, for example, have been assigned TV projects, while speculation has intensified over the future of DC’s film projects since actor Ben Affleck was named to take over the role of Batman.

If nothing else, Aquaman is durable. Aside from Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and Green Arrow, only Aquaman, who debuted in 1941, has appeared continuously throughout DC’s history, and in the same costume and likeness (characters like The Flash, Green Lantern and the Atom were reworked entirely from their original incarnations as part of a movement in the 1960s). And Johns has quietly worked to shore up cracks in Aquaman’s famous orange tunic.

When penning an earlier DC miniseries, “Blackest Night,” in 2009 and 2010, Johns turned a large spotlight on Mera, Aquaman’s wife, giving her more presence and personality than she’s had in decades. “What I wanted to do was establish Mera alongside Green Lantern and The Flash in a very big way,” Johns explained, noting that he derived inspiration from the Queen Gorgo character in the 2007 Zack Snyder movie, “300.” Rather than playing up Aquaman’s Atlantis connections, Johns said he deliberately focused on developing his personality, supporting cast and enemies like Black Manta and the Ocean Master.

“There is no doubt in my mind that this is one of the most well-known characters among super-heroes, and in popular culture,” said Johns. The ocean setting, he suggested, should work to a writer’s advantage. “We are finding new areas in the ocean every day. It’s as alien as going to outer space,” he said.

For many, Aquaman remains a figure from Saturday-morning cartoons, like ABC’s 1970s and 1980’s “Super Friends” or CBS’ “Superman/Aquaman Hour of Adventure,” which ran in 1967 and 1968.

Those memories may hurt the character in his current incarnation, said Brad Ricca, author of 2013’s “Super Boys: The Amazing Adventures of Jerry Siegel and Joe Schuster, The Creators of Superman.” In the 1970s cartoons, he said, “Aquaman smiled and looked perfect while riding a giant seahorse and mentally bossing around happy whales. He was, quite plainly, just not as cool as Batman.”

DC’s Johns believes a better structure is now in place. “He became a little bit of a joke,” the comics executive said. “Suddenly, he was nobody’s favorite super hero.” Now, DC has set up major storylines in coming months that will cross his comic with its “Justice League” and has given the character prominent placement in videogames. And his comics contain jokey references to the hero’s past portrayals. “He’s a character that we talk quite a bit about.”
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:42 pm

That last line sums it up best. He is viewed as a joke to the "public" at large. Even on the Big Bang Theory, which is produced by Warner, so DC referrences abound. Aquaman is always the butt of jokes in the comic book store sequences. There have been several attempts over the years to show how serious the character can be. I would have no problem purchasing a Direct-to-DVD animated film based on the King of Atlantis, heck I'd even see a theatrical film, and I'm not even that big a fan. I guess I'm just more acceping than the general populace. It's a shame. I dont know what DC can do to get the population to buy into any of their characters that aren't Batman or Superman. GL failed, and I thought it was great... not any different from any of the films in Marvels Universe. :?
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:25 pm

Son of Batman 2014:
phpBB [media]
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

PreviousNext

Return to I Wanna Watch Cartoons!!