DC Direct to Video Releases

From Scooby Doo to Adult Swim, from Johnny Quest to Samurai Jack; discuss cartoons and animation here!!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby mr.negativity » Mon May 06, 2013 11:37 pm

Could Warner Bros. Turn Unproduced Screenplays into DC Animated Films? Geoff Johns Says it’s a Possibility
Collider: Something that you guys do really well is DC Animated movies. Is there any possibility of taking a movie script that never got made, like a J.J. Abrams Superman, and taking that script or idea and making a DC Animated movie out of it?

Geoff Johns: There’s always a possibility. That’s not the first time that’s come up. There’s always discussions about what would be really cool to do.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Mon May 13, 2013 10:49 am

Well I just watched Superman Unbound. I really enjoyed this film. Ever since DC started doing animated flms it seems they get better and better however I have always been disappointed in Superman's solo efforts. "Doomsday" was to loose and hollow of an adaptation for my stastes. "All-Star Superman" was a convoluted mess, not helped probably that I wasn't a fan of the opriginal story either. "Superman vs The Elite" was moving in the right direction, but still not quite right. (All the crossovers with Batman or the Justice League have been better) But finally with "Unbound", they have captured a solo Superman story I can really enjoy.

The voice acting talent was very well rounded even if it wasn't "Tim Daly" Superman. The animation was good, although the human designs took a little getting used to, Brianiac and all the alien designs were fantastic. I gives this a very high recommendation. Glad they finally got superman right, I just hope its not the last.

Flashpoint is shaping up to be pretty cool. I just hope it isn't the last DC Animated movie.
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby XvGojira » Mon May 13, 2013 12:44 pm

Something that's interesting about the next DTV "JL: Flashpoint Paradox", Tim's son Sam is voicing Superman.
XvGojira
Burning Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Mon May 13, 2013 1:04 pm

Yeah at first I thought it was Tim Daly's brother (who reads for a lot of audio books and also had a great voice) , but upon finding out it was his son, I thought that was kind of cool. he does sound similiar to his father.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Tue May 14, 2013 8:08 am

Lois was down right amazing in Unbound, which was a nice surprise. I really liked the way they portrayed her and hope they do that again. The scene when she gives Brainiac the finger was priceless and awesome at the same time.

I cannot wait for Flashpoint though. I love the comics in that universe and we finally get a movie that stars Flash.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Thu May 30, 2013 10:06 pm

Warner Bros., DC Unveil Superman Anniversary Logo, Promise Zack Snyder Short (Exclusive)
It's the start of a year-long branded effort as "Man of Steel," comic books, and the video game "Infinite Crisis" roll out.

■ Cartoon Network’s “DC Nationâ€
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:12 pm

Word Balloon Podcast James Tucker On DC Animation Ben Blacker On Wolverine Season 1 OGN & J Torres Talks Jinx For Archie
John Siuntres wrote:On this episode Animator James Tucker talks about his current role at DC/Warner Animation. We talk about his work on recent direct to DVD films like Superman:Un-Bound, Scooby-Doo:The Mask Of The Blue Falcon (featuring tons of hilarious Hanna Barbera Superhero cameos and easter eggs), and the upcoming July 30th release The Flashpoint Paradox.

Tucker also talks about his stellar work on Batman The Brave And Bold, Superman The Animated Series, Justice League, and more.

Writer Ben Blacker is back to discuss the release of Wolverine Season One from Marvel, in addition to updates on his Thrilling Adventure Hour podcast and Kickstarter campaign. We also talk about his Nerdist Writers Panel podcast, and the coming Nerdist Comics Writers Panel podcast, debuting this month.

We wrap up with J Torres who's been revamping Lil Jinx for Archie Comics. Plus we discuss Torres other current comic projects.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:18 am

Well, my fears can now be put aside. DCU Movies are going to continue. Although no news has come forth (probably waiting for SDCC), apparantly the next film is tennatively titled Justice League: War

http://www.worldsfinestonline.com/2013/ ... nal-movie/
Last edited by O.Supreme on Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby The Real McCoy » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:34 am

I really want to see more of these. The ones they have on Netflix really got me into them.
The Real McCoy
Heisei Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:33 am

Not quite a DTV release, btu I thought I'd post it here:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Justic ... ions/18538

It's a pretty cool set with a little bit of everything from DC animation through the years. I'd probably be inclined to get somethign like this for my dad who has a xcasual interest in all the shows I already have on DVD. My only gripe is that the Batman :TAS and Superman:TAS episodes are just aboutt he worst possible choices. The selections from the other series are pretty fair however.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby XvGojira » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:45 am

O.Supreme wrote:Not quite a DTV release, btu I thought I'd post it here:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Justic ... ions/18538

It's a pretty cool set with a little bit of everything from DC animation through the years. I'd probably be inclined to get somethign like this for my dad who has a xcasual interest in all the shows I already have on DVD. My only gripe is that the Batman :TAS and Superman:TAS episodes are just aboutt he worst possible choices. The selections from the other series are pretty fair however.

Only two episodes from the Batman cartoon, and they're both from "The New Adventures of Batman"? I understand why Mad Love got chosen, but as fun as Legends of Dark Knight there are so many better episodes. Heart of Ice, Almost Got 'Em, His Silicon Soul, Harley and Ivy, Harley's Holiday, Harlequinade, Growing pains, Over the Edge.
XvGojira
Burning Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:52 pm

DC to Debut Two New ‘Batman’ Animated Features in 2014
[quote="Kyle Hembree "]
Last night, DC hosted a premiere showing of their newest animated feature, Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox, followed by a panel discussion with the audience. During this panel, it was revealed that Warner Bros. will release two new, full-length Batman animated films in 2014 – Batman: Assault on Arkham and Son of the Batman.

Batman on Film shares the news from the panel that Son of the Batman and Assault on Arkham will be the next DC animated features after next year’s Justice League: War. Given the current production timeline, the two movies will likely debut in the second half of 2014.

Son of the Batman will adapt the storyline “Batman and Son,â€
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:33 pm

Oh come on!! I don't need more Batman movies. I need more OTHER characters!!! Unless they are going to start putting other DC characters such as Dead Man, Etrigan, Bronze Tiger, Phantom Stranger, Spectre, or Dr Fate in it, I want them to leave Batman alone, especially with two movies. We just had two with TDKR and of course Batman is featured in Flashpoint and will obviously be the main character in War.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby XvGojira » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:19 pm

Dr Kain wrote:Oh come on!! I don't need more Batman movies. I need more OTHER characters!!! Unless they are going to start putting other DC characters such as Dead Man, Etrigan, Bronze Tiger, Phantom Stranger, Spectre, or Dr Fate in it, I want them to leave Batman alone, especially with two movies. We just had two with TDKR and of course Batman is featured in Flashpoint and will obviously be the main character in War.

I love me some Batman, but yeah. I loved the shorts they were doing, the one with Jonah Hex, The Spectre, Green Arrow. I though those were sort of tests for full fledged DTV releases. Branch out WB, give some of the other capes and tight folks a run! I'd love to watch a full Jonah Hex (that isn't crap) movie or even a The Question flick.
XvGojira
Burning Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:11 am

Just purchased/watched Flashpoint. It is pretty amazing, but definitely the most violent DCU to date (even moreso than Superman:Doomsday). It was a cool story. Tons of great character cameos as well. Highly recommended.

I am happy that DCU movie are continuing, but kind of sad they are playing it safe with so much Batman. At least with Justice League movies there is always the character variety. War looks interesting (Steve Blum who cameod as Lex Luthot in Flashpoint is voicing Darkseid for War...) But the Batman films for Summer/Fall 2014 dont get me excited at all.

I know there was a LOT goign on in Flashpoint, btu I think one of the most disturbing things was Superman, although it was just a bit part in the film. Kind of scary to have a being that powerful being mentaly shackeled his whole life, then to be let loose all of a sudden
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby XvGojira » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:24 am

Thanks for reminding me that I need to pick Flashpoint up!
XvGojira
Burning Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:12 pm

SPOILERS
Does 'Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox' suggest a way forward for Warner live-action?
Haven't we seen enough origin stories at this point?
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby XvGojira » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:22 pm

mr.negativity wrote:SPOILERS
Does 'Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox' suggest a way forward for Warner live-action?
Haven't we seen enough origin stories at this point?

That article doesn't have anything about Flashpoint in it, so I am a tad confused.
XvGojira
Burning Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:49 pm

I watched Flashpoint and it was great. It was kind of awful when they used the CG Flash for running, but otherwise I really dug it. I'm probably going to check out the comic. I'm also incredibly interested in checking out some Flash comics.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby The Real McCoy » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:22 pm

MekaGojira3k wrote:I watched Flashpoint and it was great. It was kind of awful when they used the CG Flash for running, but otherwise I really dug it. I'm probably going to check out the comic. I'm also incredibly interested in checking out some Flash comics.

I bought this last weekend, and it took me a couple of viewings to really get into it. I thought it should have been better, but I'm happy with it. The preview for Justice League: War looks pretty neat too.
The Real McCoy
Heisei Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:03 pm

mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:22 pm

mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:29 pm

Interesting. Bruce Timm wanted to do a Aquaman movie back on 08/09, then finally in 11 confirmed it wasn't happening. I'm glad it is, but curious how "War" will feel without him... too bad Timm isn't really involved anymore, i bet he'd be excited as well.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:57 am

But Aquaman is the highlight of JL!!!!
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:21 am

O.Supreme wrote:

Interesting. Bruce Timm wanted to do a Aquaman movie back on 08/09, then finally in 11 confirmed it wasn't happening. I'm glad it is, but curious how "War" will feel without him... too bad Timm isn't really involved anymore, i bet he'd be excited as well.

Adam Green was commissioned to write the script for that animated Aquaman movie and they kept making him rewrite it to "take out the scenes with water" because water was too expensive to animate... I'm not making that up. Its ridiculous, I know. Maybe now that these things have really taken off, they can finally animate water. :lol:
MouthForWar
Controller

PreviousNext

Return to I Wanna Watch Cartoons!!