DC Direct to Video Releases

From Scooby Doo to Adult Swim, from Johnny Quest to Samurai Jack; discuss cartoons and animation here!!

Moderator: Controllers

Re: DC Direct to Video Releases

Postby mr.negativity » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:35 am

DC Announces Animated Movies and Shorts for Toy Lines
New animated features built around Batman and Super Friends toy lines are coming
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:52 pm

mr.negativity wrote:DC Announces Animated Movies and Shorts for Toy Lines
New animated features built around Batman and Super Friends toy lines are coming

Oh, when I saw shorts i thought it meant for more stuff like Spectre and Jonah Hex.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby XvGojira » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:14 pm

Dr Kain wrote:
mr.negativity wrote:DC Announces Animated Movies and Shorts for Toy Lines

Oh, when I saw shorts i thought it meant for more stuff like Spectre and Jonah Hex.

If only. I loved those damn shorts. It was a great way to give lesser known characters some well earned love.
XvGojira
Burning Godzilla

Re: BATMAN vs ROBIN

Postby mr.negativity » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:31 pm

The Court Of Owls Make Their Animated Debut In First BATMAN vs ROBIN Clip

DC All Access has your first look at WB Animations' latest effort, Batman vs Robin, which sees Gotham's protector and his assassin-trained son take on the shadowy Court of Owls. This film is a direct sequel to Son of Batman.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:11 pm

10 Animators to Watch: Phil Bourassa
Terry Flores wrote:Once an aspiring comicbook artist, Bourassa is living his dream, albeit in a slightly different way, in the DC Comics universe at Warner Bros. Animation.

“As a young kid who loved to draw, I discovered comicbooks early on,” he says. “I even created my own comicbook.”

He took it to Comic-Con in 2001 and sold between 50 and 100 copies, one of which ended up in the hands of a Warners exec. “She liked it and gave my book to (director) Denys Cowan, who did ‘Static Shock,’ and he brought me in to do character design.”

Since then, Bourassa has had a chance to become artistically involved with some of the most iconic characters in the comicbook realm, including Superman, Batman and Robin. “It’s the best job in the world to get to work with these beloved characters with such a storied tradition both at this studio and in the comics,” he says.

And he’s already got an Emmy for his efforts. The character designer picked up the kudo for individual achievement in animation for the first episode of “Young Justice,” about superhero sidekicks striking out on their own, airing on Cartoon Network from 2010 until March 2013.

Though he’s been at it for 13 years, “I still feel like I have to push myself every day to improve my craft … to take in new influences and new inspirations and infuse them in my work,” he says. “I hope I’m still able to be competitive and do better work next year than I’m doing this year. That’s always my goal.”
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby sentaison » Wed May 06, 2015 3:10 pm

Batman vs Robin was pretty good, not great. I will say that the fight scenes were excellently done and the voice acting was well done. But I just can't get past the fact that I'm burning out on the Batman/Justice League/Batman/Justice League stories. I really do want something different. Gods and Monsters looks like it might be that break I've been wanting. It's Bruce Timm building his own new universe, with Machinima running a season, then the movie, then a second season. Hopefully this will break the cycle.
sentaison
Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Thu May 07, 2015 12:08 am

I thought Damian's voice acting was awful and Batman was a complete "OH GODZILLA! WHAT TERRIBLE LANGUAGE!". Not to mention the whole Court of Owls thing was a joke. They are this big organization from the last few centuries and now they are all wiped out just like that? LAME!!!
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:11 pm

Bruce Timm Talks JUSTICE LEAGUE: GODS AND MONSTERS and SUICIDE SQUAD’s Harley Quinn
The animation legend talks about re-imagining the identities of DC's most beloved characters in the direct-to-video movie, plus a new clip and his thoughts on Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn in 'Suicide Squad'.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:18 pm

mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:53 am

So now you need to watch a web series just to understand the movie? This is getting dumber each time.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:07 am

WTF was that?!
Spoiler Below:
Harley dressed as a stripper. dismembered and mutilated bodies. Batman as a bloodsucking vampire
I can't say i understand the direction they are taking this at all. These are like all new characters.
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby XvGojira » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:21 pm

klen7 wrote:

WTF was that?!
Spoiler Below:
Harley dressed as a stripper. dismembered and mutilated bodies. Batman as a bloodsucking vampire
I can't say i understand the direction they are taking this at all. These are like all new characters.

They are, for the most part. Batman is Kurt Langstrom. Trying to find a cure for his cancer (or some disease I forget) he injects himself with sciency bat serum and become basically a vampire. Superman is not the son of Jor-el but of Zod. And Wonder Woman is from the New Gods or Apokolips.

But Episode? Don't they mean clip? Because I thought it was the new DTV movie.
XvGojira
Burning Godzilla

Postby sentaison » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:33 am

XvGojira wrote:But Episode? Don't they mean clip? Because I thought it was the new DTV movie.

They are running "mini episodes" on Youtube as an intro to the characters.
sentaison
Godzilla

Postby XvGojira » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:05 am

sentaison wrote:
XvGojira wrote:But Episode? Don't they mean clip? Because I thought it was the new DTV movie.

So then these little "episodes" won't be in the final film? Odd. I wouldn't think they'd want to waste that much time and money on animating something as a promotion.
XvGojira
Burning Godzilla

Postby sentaison » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:34 am

XvGojira wrote:
sentaison wrote:

So then these little "episodes" won't be in the final film? Odd. I wouldn't think they'd want to waste that much time and money on animating something as a promotion.

It does have a sponsor, Honda, and I think Machinima is using this to take their original streaming content to the next level. They will have a second "season" after the dvd/br release. And remember this is Bruce Timm, he's as much a fan as us, and this is his new universe to play in. He wants this to be a success and this is probably his way to get us excited about it.
sentaison
Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:40 am

mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:23 am

Like a lot of Alan Moore, it isn't filmable. The animated approach is already going to necessitate cutting some of the Barbara Gordon scenes that are shown or implied. Also the ending will either become completely unsubtle or removed altogether. I have to eye roll at adding Harley to the story. I know she is popular with the target audience, but this is Joker's story
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:06 am

klen7 wrote:Like a lot of Alan Moore, it isn't filmable. The animated approach is already going to necessitate cutting some of the Barbara Gordon scenes that are shown or implied. Also the ending will either become completely unsubtle or removed altogether. I have to eye roll at adding Harley to the story. I know she is popular with the target audience, but this is Joker's story

Why would they remove the ending? Because they don't show Batman throwing Joker in prison?

And what scenes do you think are shown or implied with Barbara?

And everything of Alan Moore's is filmable, it just takes someone that cares like those who did V for Vendetta, From Hell, and The Watchmen proved. Just because League didn't work it doesn't mean all of them don't work.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:38 am

Barbara
Spoiler Below:
Joker makes Commissioner Gordon watch images of his daughters attack which show her beaten, stripped and paralyzed with her naked and gagged. while not explicitly shown the nudity and violence can be interpreted as sexual assault at a minimum, especially considering how often Alan Moore uses rape and sexual violence as plot device

Ending
Spoiler Below:
Brian Bolland, the artist has also stated that the ending was meant to be ambiguous as to whether Batman kills the Joker, with Batman reaching for Jokers neck and then the manic laughter stopping suddenly... most people contest this because the Joker is still alive, but the book was intended to be out of continuity and Alan Moore was surprised when DC kept the paralysis of Barbara as canon
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Re: The Killing Joke

Postby mr.negativity » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:02 am

klen7 wrote:Barbara
Spoiler Below:
Joker makes Commissioner Gordon watch images of his daughters attack which show her beaten, stripped and paralyzed with her naked and gagged. while not explicitly shown the nudity and violence can be interpreted as sexual assault at a minimum, especially considering how often Alan Moore uses rape and sexual violence as plot device

Ending
Spoiler Below:
Brian Bolland, the artist has also stated that the ending was meant to be ambiguous as to whether Batman kills the Joker, with Batman reaching for Jokers neck and then the manic laughter stopping suddenly... most people contest this because the Joker is still alive, but the book was intended to be out of continuity and Alan Moore was surprised when DC kept the paralysis of Barbara as canon

SPOILERS!!!

Grant Morrison talks 'The Killing Joke' on Fat Man on Batman #44
phpBB [media]

Fat Man on Batman #044: More with Morrison
Aug 14, 2013 - In the Fave Cave this week, it's the return of Batmasterpiece maker and living legend Grant Morrison! The scribe from Scotland talks about ending his epic flight with the Dark Knight, his future dream date with the real Wonder Woman, and his favorite Bat tale of all time!
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Re: The Killing Joke

Postby mr.negativity » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:39 pm

mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby XvGojira » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:44 am

Yeeeeeessssssss!

If this is his final performance as the Joker (Arkham City was supposed to be his first last performance if I recall correctly), what a big one to end on!
XvGojira
Burning Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:40 pm

XvGojira wrote:Yeeeeeessssssss!

If this is his final performance as the Joker (Arkham City was supposed to be his first last performance if I recall correctly), what a big one to end on!

I doubt even that will be his final one. He just makes too much money off Joker to retire from him for good.

However, I really do want to see him stop being Joker after this to allow Troy Baker to become the standard Joker since Baker's Joker is excellent.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby sentaison » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:38 pm

Justice League: Gods and Monsters.

Wow.

The best DC direct to video in a long time. The only bad part of this will be waiting until next year for the "season 2" episodes.
sentaison
Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:51 pm

Justice League Gods and Monsters - We watched it tonight and I must say, I was impressed. This was easily the best DC movie to come out since Flashpoint. It was entertaining, interesting, and well told. Yeah, the plot twist at the end was predictable as all hell, but it was still a well done movie. NOt to mention it actually gave us character development for the heroes, which I was not expecting. I kind of want to buy it, but I'll just wait for an eventual special edition that includes those online webisodes (or whatever they are). It was also nice getting to see the Metal Men even if they aren't the true versions. Overall, I'm going to give it a nice 7/10 stars.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

PreviousNext

Return to I Wanna Watch Cartoons!!