Genndy Tartakovsky’s ‘Primal’

From Scooby Doo to Adult Swim, from Johnny Quest to Samurai Jack; discuss cartoons and animation here!!

Moderator: Controllers

Genndy Tartakovsky’s ‘Primal’

Postby mr.negativity » Tue May 14, 2019 2:40 pm

Collider:
Watch: First Trailer for Genndy Tartakovsky’s Bloody New Adult Swim Series ‘Primal’
phpBB [media]

THR MAY 14, 2019:
'Samurai Jack' Creator Sets Next Adult Swim Series
Rick Porter wrote:The creator of Samurai Jack is going back in time for his next Adult Swim series.

The WarnerMedia-owned cabler has ordered an animated show called Primal from Genndy Tartakovsky. The pickup extends the more than two-decade relationship between Tartakovsky and Adult Swim/Cartoon Network, where he also created Dexter's Laboratory, Samurai Jack and the first iteration of Star Wars: The Clone Wars.

Primal is set in prehistoric times and focuses on "a caveman at the dawn of evolution and a dinosaur on the brink of extinction." Their unlikely bond becomes the only hope of survival in a violent primordial world.

The half-hour series is scheduled to premiere in the fall.

The pickup for Primal follows series orders for Birdgirl, a Harvey Birdman spinoff starring Paget Brewster, and live-action comedy Three Busy Debras, which counts Amy Poehler among its executive producers. Adult Swim is also developing a Blade Runner anime series set between the timelines of the two films in the franchise.

The new shows join Adult Swim flagship Rick and Morty — which earned a massive 70-episode renewal in 2018 — the long-running Robot Chicken, Tigtone, Hot Streets, Joe Pera Talks With You and a host of others in the channel's lineup of original series.

After a 13-year gap, Tartakovsky brought a final season of Samurai Jack to Adult Swim in 2017 (the original run aired on Cartoon Network). The show was a strong performer, winning its time period among Adult Swim's core young-adult audience each week it aired and averaging 1.36 million same-day viewers per episode.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Re: Genndy Tartakovsky’s ‘Primal’

Postby lhb412 » Tue May 14, 2019 11:04 pm

Holy hell. This looks like the most badass thing ever. I'm close to being speechless.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby william newell » Wed May 15, 2019 2:55 am

Neat!
william newell
Heisei Godzilla

Postby The Shadow » Sat May 18, 2019 11:35 pm

Pretty cool -- looks like there's some inspiration from Doug Wildey's designs for JONNY QUEST (that pterosaur in particular stands out ). Some of it also reminds me of Alex Toth's work too.

The description also reminds me a bit of Hanna-Barbera's DINO BOY IN THE LOST VALLEY; except it's not a LOST WORLD situation with a modern kid in the mix, just the caveman and pet dinosaur idea.

I hope we get to see some more clips, maybe even a short scene sometime soon.
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow
Burning Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:43 am

BMD, Sep. 25, 2019:
Fantastic Fest Review: Genndy Tartakovksy’s PRIMAL Is A Stone Age Saga
JM MUTORE wrote:The legendary animator’s new miniseries will make you feel feelings without saying a word.

Primal premieres Monday, October 7th at midnight (EST) on Cartoon Network’s Adult Swim.

Spoiler Below:
Like a Golden age animator, Genndy Tartakovksy understands the power of expressions aside from words. You can see this in the intro to Dexter’s Laboratory, and of course there’s his routinely laconic Samurai Jack. But with Tartakovksy’s latest project, Primal, his effectiveness as a wordless storyteller has never been more evident.

Yesterday evening, Fantastic Fest attendees were treated to a special 4-episode preview of Primal, and what I saw there was nothing short of breathtaking. In the very first episode, a caveman goes from contemplating suicide to bludgeoning the shinbone of a T-rex, and my heart was in my throat for every step along the way. In almost every aspect, Primal manages to be a new milestone in Tartakovksy’s continued evolution as a storyteller.

The premise of Primal follows the tried and true odd couple formula, but the simplicity of it is a springboard to investigate the meaning of “primal”. After suffering a great tragedy, a formidable hunter (named “Spear” in the show’s production notes) forms an unlikely partnership with a Tyrannosaur, (called “Fang”), and the two of them venture through a fantasy Mesozoic era where humans and dinosaurs coexist.

Primal doesn’t hold back in showing the reality of its eat-or-be-eaten world. Nobody here is safe from harm, not even children, and the stakes have never been soberer. Tartakovksy’s iconic character designs now flaunt crude, jagged outlines to reflect this brutality. There isn’t a single line of dialogue to make the world seem more familiar; Primal makes Samurai Jack look verbose.

The partnership at the heart of the series is the beacon of warmth that will make you care. Though gruff and savage in his violence, Spear sports a sense of loyalty and an almost chivalric sense of duty that wouldn’t be out of place in a western. Fang is a lot more chaotic in nature, but her coalition of dog and cat mannerisms is sure to endear everyone. Fang and Spear form a bond that’s not based in trust so much as necessity. Primal doesn’t shy away from grief and trauma, the themes which draw this whole show—and its two main characters—together.

Everything about the first four episodes of Primal is stellar, from its forceful action scenes to its moving characterizations. The animation is so fluid that it still looked engrossing blown up on a theater screen. Tartakovksy and company have really outdone themselves. I'm still thinking about the opening sequence of the third episode (which was when I realized I was watching something truly great), and I'm still gobsmacked how they pulled something like that off. If the first four episodes are any indication, then the finale's going to pack a serious punch. I can't wait.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:33 am

Genndy Tartakovsky's Primal | October 7 | adult swim
phpBB [media]
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:18 am

COLLIDER, OCTOBER 5, 2019:
‘Primal’ Review & Interview with Genndy Tartakovsky | Saturday Mourning Cartoons
DAVE TRUMBORE wrote:'Primal' airs for five nights in a row on Adult Swim, starting Monday, October 7th at midnight.

On this episode of the Saturday Mourning Cartoons podcast, Sean Paul Ellis and Dave Trumbore review Genndy Tartakovsky’s Primal, a new prehistoric animated series coming to Adult Swim in a special five-night event beginning Monday, October 7th at midnight. The new show lives up to its title in a story that follows a lone caveman and a predatory dinosaur as they form a contentious partnership in order to survive a kill-or-be-killed world. It’s an absolute stunner, and from its intentional lack of dialogue, to its incredible action sequences, to wonderfully imaginative (and often nightmarish) prehistoric creations, Primal is a contemporary classic in the making.

/film:
Genndy Tartakovsky Talks the Raw Brutality of the Prehistoric ‘Primal’ [New York Comic-Con 2019]
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:08 pm

Primal was incredible. If it continues I can see it overshadowing even Samurai Jack.

It made me feel that the whole dinosaurs and cavemen-style adventure fiction genre is such a rich vein that has been ignored for too long because it's so historically inaccurate.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Gwangi » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:48 am

Yeah, it was pretty amazing. Loved how unpredictable some of the episodes were especially "Terror Under the Blood Moon".

Watching this show, I could not help to be reminded of that old Aurora kit from way back in the day:

Gwangi
Heisei Godzilla

Postby william newell » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:29 am

:sigh: Prehistoric Scenes :sigh: I feel old now. Wait a minute, I am old! :sigh:
william newell
Heisei Godzilla

Postby The Shadow » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:58 pm

Primal was fantastic -- I'd love to see more in the future.

At the same time, because of Primal, it'd be cool to see Genndy Tartakovsky adapt some Robert E. Howard's original Conan stories. Also, if WB Animation ever decides to do a new Thundarr series that'd also be cool to see Tartakovsky take the reins on.
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow
Burning Godzilla

Return to I Wanna Watch Cartoons!!