New She-Ra Coming to Netflix 2018

From Scooby Doo to Adult Swim, from Johnny Quest to Samurai Jack; discuss cartoons and animation here!!

Moderator: Controllers

New She-Ra Coming to Netflix 2018

Postby O.Supreme » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:50 pm

This was announced a while ago, but we finally have our first look at the series.

https://deadline.com/2018/07/she-ra-net ... 202427555/

Image

Not exactly what I was hoping for, but I'll still reserve judgment until I actually see an episode. It arrives November 16th on netflix
Last edited by O.Supreme on Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 2834
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:02 pm
Location: Born in the Bay Area, but stuck in Sacto

Re: New She-Ra Coming to Netflix 20108

Postby lhb412 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:15 pm

Getting strong Don Bluth vibes from that image, with a bit of Sailor Moon.

The Sailor Moon influence is and will continue to be huge in comics and animation: it seems be a formative influence for every female cartoonist who came of age between the mid-'90s and now.
User avatar
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 14344
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2003 7:11 pm

Re: New She-Ra Coming to Netflix 20108

Postby O.Supreme » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:48 am

Well that's quite possibly the most optimistic opinion I've seen so far. After posting this I decided to do some digging...Yeesh...This is almost as bad as TLJ for MOTU fandom. I'm not saying I disagree with all of the sentiments, but like everything else, it seems to be getting pushed to the extreme.

I get that this show is being developed by Noelle Stevenson, and the reveals yesterday gave fans of traditional She-Ra much pause...however I'm still going to give the show a shot. If I feel there are any hidden messages, I'll just choose not to watch, and my daughter wont be either, simple as that. It's odd because a couple of years ago the "fan-ownership" side of me would probably have been just as furious, but then I guess when you've had as many of my childhood memories be ruined by modern takes, you kind of get calloused to it, and kind of expect it, and let it be. Gems like the new Voltron are few and far between.

If anything, I'm not going to take issue with the "boyish" look of She-Ra, really not fair to judge based on ONE single picture. If anything I'm going to take issue with the age. In the 80's filmation toons both He-Man and She-Ra suffered from "Clark Kent" syndrome. Their alter ego's looked the same, only with darker hair, and a deeper voice.

In the 2002 Animated series (the best IMHO) Adam's transformation was more akin to DC's Bily Batson/Captain Marvel. Upon transforming, Young Prince Adam would become a fully formed muscular adult, thus making him in no way similar to Prince Adam. Had the show gone on to have a 3rd season, Adora would have been introduced, and it stands to reason, her transformation would be similar. In the pictures from the article, Adora looks fine. To me however, the Issue is not so much She-Ra's "boyish" look, which remains to be seen, the issue I have is that she looks like a teenager. Se-Ra has always (in animation, comic book or toy form) been portrayed as a fully grown adult woman.
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 2834
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:02 pm
Location: Born in the Bay Area, but stuck in Sacto

Re: New She-Ra Coming to Netflix 20108

Postby Dr Kain » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:15 pm

If the show had looked good like the original image posted here, I would be excited. However, nope, the show looks bad. It looks like it was done by a kid with an iPad. No details, characters look like they are 12 (I can totally see Hordak taking them seriously), Catra looks like Merle from Escaflowne, and Glimmer is anything but.
Image
User avatar
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 10823
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:00 pm
Location: Englewood CO but originally from Buffalo NY

Re: She-Ra 20108

Postby mr.negativity » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:51 pm

phpBB [media]
User avatar
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 7534
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 7:27 am
Location: The Negative Zone

Re: New She-Ra Coming to Netflix 20108

Postby Mexigojira » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:28 pm

She-ra looks like Hank Venture on drag. :shock:
Image
Image
"There are 4 things that I've learned to dont discuss, because they end with people killing each other: Religion, politics, sports, and logic on anime and kaiju movies"

Anibal
User avatar
Mexigojira
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1392
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 5:49 pm
Location: Monterrey, Nuevo Léon Mexico

Re: New She-Ra Coming to Netflix 20108

Postby XvGojira » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:02 pm

Image
User avatar
XvGojira
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 3842
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 2:29 am
Location: Grand Rapids

Re: New She-Ra Coming to Netflix 20108

Postby Dr Kain » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:35 pm

Mexigojira wrote:She-ra looks like Hank Venture on drag. :shock:
Image


That is hilarious. Of course, if I posted that on a certain other message board, I'll get an infraction for offending the overly sensitive.
Image
User avatar
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 10823
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:00 pm
Location: Englewood CO but originally from Buffalo NY

Re: New She-Ra Coming to Netflix 20108

Postby lhb412 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:03 pm

^Well, considering the fact that the showrunner's sexuality as well as some, let's say 'traditionalist' opinions on gender roles are a common target for some of the more unsavory types who have it out for this show, I think that this little joke is certainly on the cusp of becoming a far uglier joke.

It's... very almost bad taste?
User avatar
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 14344
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2003 7:11 pm

Re: New She-Ra Coming to Netflix 2018

Postby O.Supreme » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:41 am

First...nobody was going to call me out for dating that series 18,090 years too late :lol: (I fixed the date in the thread btw...)

Second... Stereotypes and personal opinions aside, unfortunately it falls into all the trappings of what one might expect. I really don't care about the creative teams orientation. I know the voice Actor of Pidge on Voltron Legendary defender is gay, but that doesn't mean I don't like that show. Still, if (completely out of context) if you were to tell me - a gay female is going to be show runner of a new She-Ra cartoon, what we have seen so far is pretty much what I'd envision, which is why it is so disappointing, and sadly, an easy target for others. I mean, Cam Clarke (who classically voiced Leonardo in the 80's TMNT and He-Man in the 2002 series) is gay, but he isn't bound by that when he is acting, and he does great work.

I mean, I love to be surprised, and to admit when I am wrong, especially when it comes to entertainment. But what's been revealed makes things difficult. I'm not stuck in the 80's. I mean I love to watch the original show with my kids with all it's cheesiness, it's perfect for them. But what was planned for She-Ra in the 3rd season of CN MOTU in 2004 would have been amazing, and sadly never happened. DC comics had a great MOTU series from 2012-2017, and amazing drawn out story arc with She-Ra. I was hoping for something along those lines. It's not just She_Ra though, pretty much every show I've gotten *hooked* into the last 5 years has disappointed me to the point I no longer watch them, thus the reason for my current signature.
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 2834
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:02 pm
Location: Born in the Bay Area, but stuck in Sacto

Re: New She-Ra Coming to Netflix 2018

Postby XvGojira » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:59 am

O.Supreme wrote:First...nobody was going to call me out for dating that series 18,090 years too late :lol: (I fixed the date in the thread btw...)

Second... Stereotypes and personal opinions aside, unfortunately it falls into all the trappings of what one might expect. I really don't care about the creative teams orientation. I know the voice Actor of Pidge on Voltron Legendary defender is gay, but that doesn't mean I don't like that show. Still, if (completely out of context) if you were to tell me - a gay female is going to be show runner of a new She-Ra cartoon, what we have seen so far is pretty much what I'd envision, which is why it is so disappointing, and sadly, an easy target for others. I mean, Cam Clarke (who classically voiced Leonardo in the 80's TMNT and He-Man in the 2002 series) is gay, but he isn't bound by that when he is acting, and he does great work.

I mean, I love to be surprised, and to admit when I am wrong, especially when it comes to entertainment. But what's been revealed makes things difficult. I'm not stuck in the 80's. I mean I love to watch the original show with my kids with all it's cheesiness, it's perfect for them. But what was planned for She-Ra in the 3rd season of CN MOTU in 2004 would have been amazing, and sadly never happened. DC comics had a great MOTU series from 2012-2017, and amazing drawn out story arc with She-Ra. I was hoping for something along those lines. It's not just She_Ra though, pretty much every show I've gotten *hooked* into the last 5 years has disappointed me to the point I no longer watch them, thus the reason for my current signature.


I have a facetious theory that the new show is built of some sort of trans message with the feminine-ish Princess Adora turning into the boy-ish She-Ra who will turn into He-Man and she'll be living a quadrupal life as Princess Adora, She-ra, Prince Adam, and He-Man. Either that or the show is going to be the first to have a super heroine battle the forces of becoming a woman where she fights a monster with the powers of menstrual cramps.

I kid, I kid. Like I said, it's just facetious funny talk. Honestly I want it to be good and succeed. I can see the issues people have with this new series, but I really don't have a horse in this race as I was more of a Thundercats kid than He-Man, He-man was more my older brother's thing.
User avatar
XvGojira
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 3842
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 2:29 am
Location: Grand Rapids

Re: New She-Ra Coming to Netflix 20108

Postby Dr Kain » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:26 pm

lhb412 wrote:^Well, considering the fact that the showrunner's sexuality as well as some, let's say 'traditionalist' opinions on gender roles are a common target for some of the more unsavory types who have it out for this show, I think that this little joke is certainly on the cusp of becoming a far uglier joke.

It's... very almost bad taste?


I disagree. Everyone and everything is equal when it comes to being made fun of.
Image
User avatar
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 10823
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:00 pm
Location: Englewood CO but originally from Buffalo NY

Re: New She-Ra Coming to Netflix 20108

Postby mr.negativity » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:30 pm

phpBB [media]
User avatar
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 7534
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 7:27 am
Location: The Negative Zone

Re: New She-Ra Coming to Netflix 2018

Postby O.Supreme » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:47 pm

I wonder if little girls watching this, with zero context, are wondering "what the heck does The Honor of Grayskull have to do with anything..."...
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 2834
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:02 pm
Location: Born in the Bay Area, but stuck in Sacto

Re: New She-Ra Coming to Netflix 20108

Postby lhb412 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:02 pm

Dr Kain wrote:I disagree. Everyone and everything is equal when it comes to being made fun of.


But there is such a thing as reading the room, like not telling that killer dead grandma joke at your grandma's funeral.
User avatar
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 14344
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2003 7:11 pm

Re: New She-Ra Coming to Netflix 20108

Postby XvGojira » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:01 am

lhb412 wrote:
Dr Kain wrote:I disagree. Everyone and everything is equal when it comes to being made fun of.


But there is such a thing as reading the room, like not telling that killer dead grandma joke at your grandma's funeral.


Unless Gran Gran had a real dark sense of humor.
User avatar
XvGojira
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 3842
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 2:29 am
Location: Grand Rapids

Re: New She-Ra Coming to Netflix 20108

Postby Dr Kain » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:36 am

lhb412 wrote:
Dr Kain wrote:I disagree. Everyone and everything is equal when it comes to being made fun of.


But there is such a thing as reading the room, like not telling that killer dead grandma joke at your grandma's funeral.


I'm pretty sure the dead don't care what you say about them as they won't even know.

Anyway, Shadow Weaver looks so lackluster. She should look like the Ghost of Xmas Future, not just another cutesy character. Also, where are Leech, Mantenna, and Grizzlor?
Image
User avatar
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 10823
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:00 pm
Location: Englewood CO but originally from Buffalo NY

Re: New She-Ra Coming to Netflix 2018

Postby lhb412 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:50 am

Not sure any American cartoon has ever gone with the whole 'the enemy soldiers are really just normal people who are brainwashed or ill-informed' thing before. That's like a common trope in anime.
User avatar
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 14344
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2003 7:11 pm

Re: New She-Ra Coming to Netflix 20108

Postby O.Supreme » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:16 am

Dr Kain wrote: Also, where are Leech, Mantenna, and Grizzlor?


Pretty sure they wont be showing up, seems they are trying as hard as they can NOT to follow established lore. I'm betting Hordak is killed off early on and is replaced by a female antagonist. Modulok will however have a prominent role since he can reconfigure himself/herself to be whatever he/she wants.
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 2834
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:02 pm
Location: Born in the Bay Area, but stuck in Sacto

Re: New She-Ra Coming to Netflix 2018

Postby O.Supreme » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:20 am

lhb412 wrote:Not sure any American cartoon has ever gone with the whole 'the enemy soldiers are really just normal people who are brainwashed or ill-informed' thing before. That's like a common trope in anime.


The original He-Man & She-Ra dealt with those issues on their separate series both on the level of an individual, and as people, in different episodes 30+ years ago.
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 2834
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:02 pm
Location: Born in the Bay Area, but stuck in Sacto

Re: New She-Ra Coming to Netflix 2018

Postby lhb412 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:50 am

^ Really? Never saw more than an episode or two of She-Ra. Had an old VHS full of He-Man, though (both were before my time).
User avatar
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 14344
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2003 7:11 pm

Re: New She-Ra Coming to Netflix 2018

Postby O.Supreme » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:53 pm

Heroes like Man-E-faces & Fisto started out as villains. Evil-Lyn is a wonderfully tragic character in both the original, and 2002 series. Also Adora starting out as "Force Captain" of the Horde all happened, albeit the theatrical film "Secret of the Sword" (which turned out to be the first 5 episodes of She-Ra edited together), had much more of a backstory, involving He-Man finding out about his twin Sister, and basically the plot of the film was to try to have her see for herself that the Horde was Evil, and of course, having the Magic Sword helped as well.

Of course, when Adora started to turn good, magic was used to try to brainwash her again, but of course that failed. The classic series doesn't hold up well in many respects, not because it's "bad" for any reason, but more because it's a product of its time, just before the *embargo* against violence on kids TV was lifted. I find the strong moral character of both shows refreshing, something that pretty much no cartoon for kids today has, but its oversimplification of things certainly does make it groan worthy quite often. For the record, my daughter's favorite character is Skeletor, she finds him to be hilarious. I've never looked at it that way, but he kind of is. :wink: .

phpBB [media]


Of course the 2002 version was way better

phpBB [media]
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 2834
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:02 pm
Location: Born in the Bay Area, but stuck in Sacto

Re: New She-Ra Coming to Netflix 20108

Postby klen7 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:34 pm

Dr Kain wrote:where are Leech, Mantenna, and Grizzlor?

"Where is Mantenna?" is a complaint i never expected to hear :lol:
User avatar
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 7031
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:34 pm
Location: beyond your peripheral vision

Re: New She-Ra Coming to Netflix 20108

Postby O.Supreme » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:52 am

klen7 wrote:
Dr Kain wrote:where are Leech, Mantenna, and Grizzlor?

"Where is Mantenna?" is a complaint i never expected to hear :lol:


Dude...Mantenna was actually my favorite member, I just remember seeing that original teaser commercial, even in silhouette he looked so menacing.

phpBB [media]


Of course in the cartoon they were all made goofy which was a big letdown, But in the comics they were all badass. I actually dressed as him for Halloween, of course that was Before the She-Ra cartoon came out and ruined him. :wink:
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 2834
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:02 pm
Location: Born in the Bay Area, but stuck in Sacto

Re: New She-Ra Coming to Netflix 2018

Postby Jinzo Ningen » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:32 pm

A big problem with this country is that we're teaching that you can't say this or that because it might hurt someone's feelings. What a load of garbage. What we should be teaching kids is that you have the right to an opinion and to say what you feel, Constitutionally guaranteed. There are always, always going to be others who will say things that you don't necessarily want to hear. That's life, and getting your feelings hurt is part of life. People need to learn how to blow off comments they don't like, instead of shutting down and blubbering like toddlers. We continue to turn this country into a herd of thinned-skinned whiny crybabies who need a safe space and run to a lawyer to sue someone who said something that hurt their feelings. What the hell ever happened to 'sticks & stones' ??

Oh, and for the record, She-Ra looks like a 12 year old metrosexual. The animation style looks like crap, the re-designed characters look like crap and the show as presented in the trailers for it... looks like crap. FAIL!
User avatar
Jinzo Ningen
Godzilla
 
Posts: 809
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 7:47 am
Location: Standing @ The Crossroads

Next

Return to I Wanna Watch Cartoons!!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron