Rocky and Bullwinkle (and Friends!)

From Scooby Doo to Adult Swim, from Johnny Quest to Samurai Jack; discuss cartoons and animation here!!

Moderator: Controllers

Rocky and Bullwinkle (and Friends!)

Postby lhb412 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:58 pm

The complete adventures of Moose and Squirrel are now avaliable from Classic Media in the new boxed set "Rocky and Bullwinkle and Friends: The Complete Series - 100% Complete Bull," and for those who bought the previous season sets and are furious: they're releasing Season 5 seperate this March.

Or, if you want to revisit the series, but don't want to spend any money, Hulu has the first four seasons up for free streaming:

http://www.hulu.com/rocky-and-bullwinkle-and-friends

I bought the first season last fall and really enjoyed it (the seasons are dirt cheap on amazon.com, btw) - although I was suprised by how sedate the show seemed in its early episodes, but it got progressively zanier. My biggest suprise was in the Dudley Do-Right segments, as I wasn't taken with them as a child but watching them now they gave me the biggest laughs.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:19 pm

Well, the Yogi Bear writers are making a Peabody's Improbable History movie:

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/01/17/r ... y-sherman/

Okay, so we had Rocky and Bullwinkle, George of the Jungle (actually not a bad film), Dudley Do-Right, and now this... where's the Super Chicken movie?
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby The Shadow » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:15 am

I saw The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle movie (came out in 2000) on T.V. about 4 or 5 months ago. I was surprised that it was actually a good adaptation -- watching the movie seemed very much like watching the cartoon.

Seeing as most movie adaptations of classic T.V. series aren't very good {IE Dragnet, Beverly Hillbillies, The Flintstones, etc. -- even the 2 movies for the Addams Family are merely so-so} it's dissappointing that Rocky and Bullwinkly movie didn't do better. Although that could be due in part to a poor ad campaign, I don't recall seeing trailers or tv spots (though I could have forgotten about them).
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow
Burning Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:19 pm

^I'll have to see it after I finish the series.

I though the George of the Jungle movie was funny, largely due to the narrator.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:35 pm

Man, I just started watching season 2 and this is really where the show hits its stride. They're like peanuts! When you watch one episode it's impossible to not watch another. I've watched hardly any regular TV in the last few days...

well, not much lost there.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Re: Rocky and Bullwinkle (and Friends!)

Postby lhb412 » Sun May 13, 2018 6:05 pm

Resurrecting this thread to point out that Amazon Prime just released (much to my surprise) a brand new Rocky and Bullwinkle cartoon series! It's pretty good, but I miss the co-features like Dudley Do-Right and Fractured Fairy Tales. The fact that it was a collection of cartoons and not simply one cartoon is a big part of the appeal.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Mon May 14, 2018 10:36 am

lhb412 wrote:Resurrecting this thread to point out that Amazon Prime just released (much to my surprise) a brand new Rocky and Bullwinkle cartoon series! It's pretty good, but I miss the co-features like Dudley Do-Right and Fractured Fairy Tales. The fact that it was a collection of cartoons and not simply one cartoon is a big part of the appeal.

Is it produced by DreamWorks or another studio? I just find it odd considering that DW had the Peabody and Sherman movie (and follow up animated series on Netflix). I guess it would have to be, considering DW has a deal exclusively (or at least I assumed exclusively with Netflix), which would seem rather odd, splitting up properties under the same original shows banner.

*edit*...huh...It is produced by DreamWorks...When I see things like this, it just makes me more intrigued about "Streaming wars" I know DreamWorks has a new She-Ra series set to premiere later this year, and I 100% assumed it would be on Netflix...but now I guess that's not necessarily a guarantee, despite all the articles I've reads up until now.
Film Wish List:1. Gamera Super Monster with Filmways opening/closing credits
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Mon May 14, 2018 8:25 pm

^ I guess they shop shows to various streaming services just like they used to with TV networks.

And I've thought of why R&B have no co-features: Dreamworks probably sees them as viable IPs unto themselves and don't want to waste them on shows-within-a-show. They've already made Peabody and Sherman into a movie and Netflix series, maybe they have plans for Dudley Do-Right as well?
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Return to I Wanna Watch Cartoons!!