Voltron

From Scooby Doo to Adult Swim, from Johnny Quest to Samurai Jack; discuss cartoons and animation here!!

Moderator: Controllers

Re: Voltron

Postby O.Supreme » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:57 pm

First teaser for season two :D

http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/3/13153 ... er-netflix

Season 2 officially given a release date of 1/20/17, thats about a month later than I was hoping, but definitely well worth it!
Film Wish List:1. Gamera Super Monster with Filmways opening/closing credits
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:19 pm

Season 2 Trailer | DREAMWORKS VOLTRON LEGENDARY DEFENDER
phpBB [media]
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:42 pm

Season 2 was added this past Friday, my son and I just finished it, and it is simply amazing. Well done and applause all around to all folks involved in creating this series. Looking forward to season 3 six months from now.

These was definitely more world building in this season, but unlike season one which introduced some characters and species simply for the sake of establishing them, this season, everything was pretty much integral to the overall plot. Even thought Season 1 was really good, with only 13 episodes, there shouldn't have been any episodes wasted on filler. With season 2 they fixed those (really minor) missteps. Everything was essential to the overall story arch, but there was still plenty of fun, and drama among the really well paced Action. It does exactly what it should. Gives you a satisfying ending to one story, but leaves you with a couple of crucial questions that will have to be addressed in Season 3.

Spoiler Below:
I loved that at the end, Hagar was revealed to be Altean. Though she was not in the original Japanese Golion, she was revealed to be the Mother of Daibazzal (Zarkon), and thus the Grandmother of Sincline (Lotor). I'm sensing in season 3 more will be revealed basically showing that the Galra and Alteans are more alike, and perhaps have the same ancestry, which Allura will have to come to terms with.

So yeah, looking forward to more about Pidges Family, why the Blue Lion was on Earth, Who is Keith's Mother, what happened to Shiro.......................and Prince Lotor 8)
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:13 pm

I didn't know this show had a toyline! A really cool one: saw 'em when I went to Walmart today to check if they had the Kong toys - they did, and Voltron was right next to them, and Power Rangers next to that. Pretty good thematic organizing of the toys.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:13 pm

Yes. I plan eventually to get the individual lions thatcombine to form Voltron. Though initial reviews show it to be a little awkward in combined mode. The action figures, sword, and 14 inch oversized figure look cool, but I'm pretty much only interested in the combining one. Wal-Mart seems to have the best price, hope they stick around for a while, at least until I get my tax return heh...
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:01 am

Finally started Season 2 by watching the first three episodes tonight. They were quite entertaining, especially Hunk after he and Lance fell to the bottom of the ocean. I have to say that I was quite surprised that those furball aliens Pidge found did not turn out to be vicious little buggers as I anticipated. The age changing Coran was hilarious, especially his teenager phase. The last episode we watched with the Galra rebel was a really good episode. The fight with the Robeat was pretty awesome too. I love how this show continues to impress.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:28 pm

We just finished the second season and overall, it was just as solid as the first.
Spoiler Below:
My only complaint is that I felt it was a little too soon for them to attack Zarkon head on since they only freed like 3 planets of the thousands he reigns over. I loved that this show doesn't pull any punches when it comes to characters dying or not and that all of the deaths feel natural rather than them being killed just for shock factor. The fight between Voltron and Mobile Suit Zarkon was pretty bad ass as was the battle between Allura and Hagar.
I especially can't wait for Season 3 now that my favorite character is finally going to make the stage. Speaking of which, when is Season 3? I need it now!! :D
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:43 pm

Dr Kain wrote: Speaking of which, when is Season 3? I need it now!! :D

Nothing official has been stated, but I've watched enough DreamWorks shows on Netflix to know they come like clockwork about every 6 months (except for the latest season of Dragons which delayed bit grrr...)

So best guess is Mid-July 2017at this point.

Also...the last 3 words...yeah...knew you'd be excited as I was.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:25 pm

Bad news:...looks like we'll have to wait a bit longer for season 3...September instead of July as I surmised:

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/voltron/ ... -confirmed

Good News: Voltron has a 78 episode commitment

Bad News: At 13 episodes about every 7-8 months, we wont see the end until probably around Summer 2019...Oh wait, that's a good thing 8) . Oddly enough the original Voltron (Lion Force) had 72 episodes (52 sourced from Golion, plus 20 especially commissioned by WEP and cheaply animated by Toei, definitely not their best work...)

But this definitely lends itself to develop characters like Prince Lotor, even Queen Merla (if they wanted to), and the EDC/Vehicle Voltron. The next couple of years just got a bit brighter for myself and my Netflix account.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Re: Voltron ‘84

Postby mr.negativity » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:50 am

io9
Voltron Legendary Defender's Creators Look Back at the Original Show and the Timeless Appeal of Giant Robot Lions
James Whitbrook wrote:The 12 classic episodes that make up the Voltron ‘84 collection hit Netflix tomorrow, March 24.

phpBB [media]
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:13 am

Interesting...I'll probably just watch for the intros as I've had all these on DVD forever...I wonder which episodes they chose...I wonder if they chose any of the additional 20 that WEP specifically commissioned by Toei to animated beyond the original 52 Go-Lion run. They were pretty bad, but they did have some cool Robeast designs.

*edit*
ok...so I watched the intros. they are ok but nothing amazing. You can definitely tell which people were actual fans that watched the original show, and which was were just B.S.ing for script purposes. (especially the background artist who's "favorite episode" supposedly is "The Right Arm of Voltron" -the early episode where Sven is *injured* (in reality Shirogane dies) makes no mention of it whatsoever) lol...

too bad things like this people cant really say what they want...I'd be like "My favorite episode of the original Voltron was a Vehicle Voltron episode called...wait...what you don't want me to talk about that?..oh well I guess were done here" :wink:
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:55 am

Well this is cool. Coming a month earlier than originally stated:

Season 3 August 4th:

phpBB [media]
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:07 pm

Official Season 3 Trailer
phpBB [media]
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:01 pm

Well it's kind of a bummer, but I guess it could be worse... We are not getting the full season tomorrow...only half...7 episodes to be precise. I've seen this done on other shows, though tis typically when they are first rolling out to give the production team time to *catch up* or to see if a show is successful or not.

Originally it was announced Netflix would have Season 3 in September, which honestly I was ok with...Then it got pushed up to August which made me ecstatic, but now I know why. I think this is a tactic to placate fans, while they finish up the few remaining episodes that are not done yet and could not meet the September deadline, so they gave themselves an extra month to finish them...

Se we get 7 episodes tomorrow, and the remaining 6 sometime in October...Like I said it could be worse... But this begs the question, since Netflix has kind of created a binge culture what do you prefer...

*classic*- consistent 1 episode a week for 13 weeks (then 13 weeks off until the next season begins)
"1/2 season"- split between 6/7 episodes released in a day a couple months apart
"Full Season Binge"- release all 13 on the same day, and be willing to wait 6-8 months between the next full season...
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:28 pm

Man, 7 episodes was not enough. These went by way too quickly.

Spoiler Below:
First, I loved the way they changed around the Paladins. That was well done and worked out. I also love that the trio were not instantly able to do anything with them. Best part of this aspect was when Allura started to talk like Lance to the lion.

Lotor is so god damned badass. Like oh my god he is already superior to the original incarnation (and I mean Sincline in Golion, not the jokester Voltron version). He is ruthless, he is a strategist, and a top notch warrior. I really hope we get to see him and Keith actually duel each other in hand to hand combat sometime soon.

Next up, I'm not sure which was funnier, alternate universe Shiro being Sven with a bad accent or the whole, "Just get me to a Space Hospital and I will be fine."

Speaking of Shiro, is it just me, or is Shiro a clone? I'm pretty sure there was another Shiro in that tank when he was escaping and Plan Corone sounds an awfully like clone.

Finally, while I loved the flashback episode, I did feel that it crammed too much information into one episode. It was like the King Grayskull episode of the 2002 He-Man series. It should have been a two parter to really flesh it out. However, I think I fangasmed multiple times when they said Zarkon is from the planet Daibazal (Zarkon's original Japanese name) and Hagar was originally an Altean named Honerva (Hagar's original Japanese name).

Good god these episodes were great. I just hope we don't have to wait too long for the remaining 6 episodes to come out.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:47 am

I've watched 6 of the 7 so far, hopefully will watch the last one tonight.

Spoiler Below:
I was also impressed how everything was handled. I thought it would take a bit longer but 2 episodes to get everything settled, then another 2 to get Shiro back felt refreshingly good.

Throk (a call back to Viceroy Throk from Vehicle Voltron ...nice!) Loved seeing the Cat as a partner to one of Lotors Generals. Also, in a show where we get a character 10X better than the original Sven, then they actually GIVE US SVEN (form an alternate universe of course) mind blown! That was great!

The other 6 should be coming in October, so not too long to wait.

*update* Netflix actually has a 30 second teaser in the queue after episode 7 that confirms the remaining six episodes will be uploaded on 10/13/17. This confirms my suspicion stated above. Why so many sites are calling this *season 4* is absurd, its just that production got behind a little. Id rather that, then them try to rush and do a poor job. Most sources seem top indicate a 78 episode run for Voltron Legendary defender, plus a possible theatrical animated film (which would be amazing!)

but if this pattern continues, it should go something like this...

episodes 40-52 (Spring 2018)
episodes 53-65 (late 2018/early 2019)
episodes 66-78 (late 2019)

Also just watched episode 7 of season 3, and wow, its jam-packed with GoLion reference! I absolutely loved it! Also the history makes sense. In the original Golion, Honerva (Haggar) was Daibazaal's (Zarkon's) mother instead of his wife. I also notice the writters have been careful not to have the Voltron team actually see Lotor physically yet. I think the Princess may suspect Haggar is Honerva, and thus may be coming to conclusions in her mind, but when she sees Lotor for the first time, it should be pretty shocking. Also no doubt Lotor will instantly fall in love with Allura, although I see this more as the original Golion interprets it, as they are both *raoyalty* so he his claim to her is without question, any any thought of anyone denying him of her doesn't even equate (as opposed to the hopeless love-blind prince he was in the original Voltron). It's going to be all bad when she does not reciprocate his feelings...or maybe she'll be conflicted, that'd be an interesting twist! In any case you know a huge one-on-one fight between Keith and Lotor is inevitable!
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:10 am

Well 6 new episodes (season 4) --in actuality the rest of Season 3, were released Friday Oct. 13th. I watched them this past weekend, and was a little surprised. I'm glad Shiro is still very much a central character, but I was surprised he got Black Lion back, and Keith went on his own. Pidge Finding his brother was pretty cool. Also the drama between Lotor and Zarkon was predictable, but only because this was a constant feature of the original, but it was still very well done. The only unknown right now is Hagar...she seems to be playing both sides, but as it stands right now at this moment, she seems to be the most intriguing character, because you have no idea what her plans or motivations are.

Ending the season how they did was also foreseen, but it ads to the story building. Lotor has been around for 13 episodes but the Voltron Force have not met him face-to-face yet. He will be smitten by the Princess, but when she rejects his advances (though it may not be immediate, she may be attracted to him initially as he is half Altean)...his angry, malevolent true self will no doubt arise fairly early on. The only question here is who is more evil? Lotor or zarkon....in the original GoLion, and even in Voltron, neither of them were ever redeemable, so I don't see that happening either.

I'm pretty convinced (but I could be wrong) that Lotor plans on building his own Super Robot from the comet. He has 2 ships, and they mentioned plans for a 3rd. He had 4 lieutenants, though one of them is gone now, so whether the Robot will be 3, 4, or 5 components is still a mystery. Also I would be super excited if when Pidge & Matt's father is eventually found, that he could somehow be instrumental in creating Earth's own Voltron (Vehicle Voltron), I still wan to see it appear in this series, but I guess only time will tell. Hopefully the next release will have the full 13 episodes, but if they stagger it 7/6 two months apart, I guess that wont be too bad either.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:06 pm

Finally got around to watch Season 4 of the show and I have to say that I'm slightly disappointed. I don't like how they removed Keith from being a pilot as it renders everything that happened in the first half utterly pointless. Nothing came out of Shiro's disappearance. Also, they didn't really do anything to show why Lotor is a terrible emperor. He was removed from that job way too quickly as Zarkon returned too quickly. His soldiers were also way too quick to betray him and I really hope he doesn't actually work with the rebellion at all. Or if he does, they do something intelligent with it. I did love the stuff they did with Pidge though and while the Voltron on Ice episode was hilarious, it really felt out of place. The two part finale felt a bit rushed as well.

Overall, I liked it, but I don't feel like they executed everything as solid as they had with the first 26 episodes. I just hope we don't have too long to wait for Season 5.

BTW, this has nothing to do with the show itself, but I am really getting sick of Netflix just cutting off the end credits of the final episode just to have it go to some random unrelated show. About five seconds after the end credits started it instantly cut to the first episode of Ninjago. The same thing happened with Stranger Things Season 2 as the credits cut off to go to some other show. Thus, I have to then go back to the episode and fast forward through the whole thing just to get to the end credits, which kind of kills the mood by that point.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:47 pm

New Episodes March 2nd

http://comicbook.com/tv-shows/2018/01/3 ... ease-date/

Whether we get a full 13 episodes or just 7 (and 6 ,ore possibly in May) doesn't really matter, but don't keep upping the season counmt, these are not full seasons, these are half seasons. We are getting season 4 in march (not 5), ...I know its just numbers but its annoying, we are not getting any more content than we would otherwise, so why the façade? (Btw...I'm sure this is all Netflix doing not DreamWorks). But I'm sure since 52 episodes is a high mark for most series, whether we get there in March, or May- I'm sure we will see the ending of a huge conflict, and hopefully the beginning of something new, as I'm sure there will be more to come afterwards.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:16 am

If I recall, Legendary Defender is set to be 85 episodes.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:23 pm

85 doesn't divide into 13 evenly. But 78 does. Also, several other DW series seem to be ending at the 78 episode count, so that is possible. If that were the case, that would make the last batch of episodes probably early summer 2019. I'm fine if that's how it all shakes out. Also there were some rumors early on of ending things with a movie, whether theatrical or just straight to Netflix, that would be pretty cool. Hopefully however it would be an actual *movie* not just episodes strung together to feel like a movie. case In point- The beginning of this series. Sure its presented as a short film a little over an hour in length, but in truth, its just 3 episodes edited together.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:01 am

COnsidering that season "5" (really 4 Part 1) is 6 episodes, I don't think they are really goinng for an even 13 a season anymore.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:32 pm

phpBB [media]
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:22 pm

So I've never seen Moana, so I had to watch the original song for reference so I could be "in" on the joke. Pretty good. There's also a Luke/Rey "Last Jedi" parody that is equally as entertaining.

As for episodes, it still works in groups of 13

Season 1 (First Movie made of 3 episodes +10) =13
Season 2 (13 Episodes) =13
Season 3 (7 episodes, +6(what Netflix calls Season 4)=13

39 Total so far. I figure we are about 1/2 way done. Puss in Boots as well as Dragons: Race to the Edge (which released its last season of episodes today) also both had 78 episode runs. Released usually in batches of 13 (but occasionally lesser batches of 6 or 7). There's also at least half a dozen other shows from DreamWorks my kids watch on Netflix that have been released in seasons of 13 episodes.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Previous

Return to I Wanna Watch Cartoons!!