Rick and Morty

From Scooby Doo to Adult Swim, from Johnny Quest to Samurai Jack; discuss cartoons and animation here!!

Moderator: Controllers

Re: Rick and Morty v Gravity Falls: Dawn of Crossover

Postby mr.negativity » Fri May 12, 2017 4:07 am

YouTube:
Film Theory: The Rick and Morty / Gravity Falls CROSSOVER Conspiracy!
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Re: Rick and Morty

Postby lhb412 » Tue May 16, 2017 8:06 pm

The official Rick and Morty/Alien crossover reveals the Achilles heel of the classic movie monster!

phpBB [media]
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:50 am

io9 Today 1:13am:
McDonald's Is Bringing Back Rick and Morty's Beloved Szechuan Sauce From Another Dimension
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:48 pm

BMD Aug. 08, 2017:
Film Crit Hulk SMASH: Let’s Talk About “Pickle Rick”
FILM CRIT HULK wrote:A look at RICK & MORTY's cutthroat mediation on intelligence.

I watched "Pickle Rick" and then I had to go sit outside for awhile.

I just had to detach. And I took my time, too. I breathed in the cool night air. I looked at the handful of stars you can actually see through the glow of the Los Angeles sky. When your brain buzzes around a lot, sometimes you have to slow yourself down. And yes, my mind was racing, contemplating the sheer totality of what I had just seen. But more than that, it made me think deeply about my own limitations. For when you work in creative fields, you spend your whole life pursuing the notion of "a great idea." No, that's not just coming up with the raw nugget of cool ideas that are original or zeitgeisty, but more following through with developing them. Being sure that they capitalize on the tenets of drama, plotting, characterization, and ultimately tap into deep resonant meaning, all in the pursuit of making something truly great. And upon watching this latest episode of Rick & Morty, I was struck (as I often am with the show) with the pangs of helpless comparison. No, it is not a mere matter of jealousy, for that feeling only tends to come up when you fear that you offer no value and thus regularly exercise schadenfreude (cue the mass of writers who complain about other people's deals, etc). Instead, the act of watching an episode like "Pickle Rick" is simply humbling.

I've written about Rick & Morty before, a show whose genius moves so fast you can barely keep up with it. I'd argue it's actually different from, say, the work of Steven Moffat, which can so often land brilliantly, but at his worst, you feel him cheating and wanting to skip all the hard work that actually makes grand reveals functional. But with Rick & Morty, there's rarely a misstep and the math always adds up. Even at its rapid, ever-changing pace, the ideas being put forth fit the dramatized actions and conflicts, they speak to the inner turmoil of the characters, and they get expressed through often dark and heartbreaking catharsis. No, it's a not a show that wants to delight in the reveal, but instead slide into brilliant turns and clarifications as confidently and nonchalantly as Rick does. And while the genius of the show is often attributed to solely Harmon and Roiland, who are no doubt great, we know enough to know that's never the story. Like how last night's episode was written by the great Jessica Gao, it often takes an army. And even now I'm still thinking about what transpired. For the episode brought us squarely into what is the essential crux of the show: Rick's broken system of emotions and reward.

In truth, I'm hard pressed to think of a show that has as firm a grasp on psychological acumen as this one. Sure, many shows have brought us deep into the minds and hang-ups of their main characters, from The Sopranos, to Mad Men, to The Wire. Rick & Morty seems to pull it off while doubling down on the ingenious sci-fi conceits that drive each episode. It was "Pickle Rick" that really and truly brought this dynamic to the forefront.

For we have Rick Sanchez, the smartest man in the world, the abusive alcoholic, the man hell-bent on feeding his hunger and selfishness, begin the episode with the seemingly innocuous gag of having turned himself into a pickle. Of course, despite his insistence that it's just a fun goofy joke built for its own sake, it turns out that his pickle decision was really just an excuse to get him out of the family's first therapy session. The kids, implicitly understanding that he is lying (while the mother makes excuses, desperate for her father's love) all go off to therapy. But they also take the anti-pickle serum, mostly to test Rick's commitment to his lie. Rick's plan has clearly backfired, but it goes down the tube when his inability to move any part of him but his face leads to a series of comic errors that leave him alone at the bottom of a roach-infested sewer, with no hope of survival.

It's actually kind of remarkable to see Rick so powerless and "OH GODZILLA! WHAT TERRIBLE LANGUAGE!". But immediately his mind begins working and survival mode kicks in (which is really all he has). He lures a roach and savagely, desperately chews its head until it's dead. From there, he can tongue the bug's nervous system to move its limbs and move himself in turn (it's as gross as it sounds). But of course, Rick quickly adapts to the situation, making his way up the food chain of the sewers, creating a full bug exoskeleton, and then a rat exoskeleton, etc. But then, having conquered the sewers, he emerges to the surface and immediately finds himself in a movie-esque bad guy compound. And now "Pickle Rick" must prove his incredible Die-Hard-esque badassery to survive the horrible onslaught with a ballad of orgasmic violence. This story choice is obvious, for action movies are fun, indulgent, and toxic masculinity to a T. What's perhaps more is the episode manages to casually annihilate about 50 popular action tropes over the course of 14 minutes ("a name like scar" / "jaguar" / etc.), complete with coherent plotting that would put most of those movies to shame. But, of course, it's just all another traditional masculine path of avoidance. For all the while, his family sits in therapy, with Mom refusing to the address the lingering shadow of her father's absence.

But later, having finally survived the heroic escapades, Rick shows up to the therapy session, tired, beaten, and nearly dead. He's done so because this is the seeming right thing to do, but it's more that he's simply too tired to keep avoiding it and he wants the serum back (a mere band-aid for his current problem). Of course, Rick can't keep up his veil of complacency for long, and his disdain for therapy comes out. And it all manifests in what is perhaps the single most brilliant explanation of therapy I've ever seen from a piece of art (and please know that therapy has become something I've come to hold quite dear)...

BMD Apr. 11, 2014:
RICK AND MORTY IS THE BEST SHOW ON TELEVISION
Film Crit Hulk explains why the Cartoon Network show is so damn good.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:14 pm

I know you shouldn't judge a property by it's fans, but meeting some rather unsavory Rick and Morty fans IRL coupled with the stories of the show's female writers being harassed by the show's 'fans' killed my enthusiasm about watching this season halfway through.

Maybe during the long wait between seasons when everything dies down a bit I'll feel like finishing it.
:?
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:28 am

... and now the sauce thing happens. Sure, MacDonalds screwed the pooch on that one, but the reactions from the 'fans' is what's caught on. Now it seems Rick and Morty fans are a laughingstock, the new dictionary definition for whiny, aggressive fan entitlement.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Geno » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:59 am

Rick: god BURRRRRRRP isn't real im a BURRRRP nihilist

Fans: wow this is deep
The only kind of real fantasy
Geno
Baby Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:02 am

I haven’t paid any attention to any of this stuff you’re talking about... and I’m not sure it would sway my feelings on the show much if I did. Godzilla fans are also often miserable twerps, calling for boycotts of directors for not worshipping their heroes or cutting scenes or whatever. I just adore the show and ignore the people who do so for the “wrong” reasons (ie, The lowest common denominator stuff That seems to me is actually in there to be poked fun at)
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Geno » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:32 am

jellydonut25 wrote:I haven’t paid any attention to any of this stuff you’re talking about... and I’m not sure it would sway my feelings on the show much if I did. Godzilla fans are also often miserable twerps, calling for boycotts of directors for not worshipping their heroes or cutting scenes or whatever. I just adore the show and ignore the people who do so for the “wrong” reasons (ie, The lowest common denominator stuff That seems to me is actually in there to be poked fun at)

There's a pretty big difference between Godzilla fans getting pissy because of a director and R&M fans berating minimum wage workers because they didn't get their ketchup + teriyaki sauce for some chicken nuggets.
The only kind of real fantasy
Geno
Baby Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:29 pm

Is there? Seems like people boycotting a guy for not including a cameo is right on the same level as being mad about not getting sauce. They’re both monumentally stupid and embarrassing to their fandom. I just ignore them though and don’t let their stupidity impede my enjoyment of a thing I like.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby eabaker » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:03 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:Is there? Seems like people boycotting a guy for not including a cameo is right on the same level as being mad about not getting sauce. They’re both monumentally stupid and embarrassing to their fandom. I just ignore them though and don’t let their stupidity impede my enjoyment of a thing I like.

A few fans boycotting a director's movies has no discernible impact on that director's life, though. That's different from harassing someone to their face while they're on the job.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:09 pm

^^ This seems fake. Jelly-D doesn't purely enjoy things anymore ...other than disagreeing with people... unless he accidentally walked into this thread and got himself stuck in a paradox. Hmmm
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:41 pm

I’ve done nothing BUT enjoy things like IT and a bunch of the movies I’ve watched in the “recently watched movies” thread...

But I poo pooed PacRim 2’s Apple IIe effects so I’m a joy thief.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby klen7 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:13 pm

I was shooting for some Rick and Marty humor for you.
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:16 pm

klen7 wrote:I was shooting for some Rick and Marty humor for you.

I mean, I did use the phrase “poo pooed” and “thief of joy” so I didn’t take it too hard.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Previous

Return to I Wanna Watch Cartoons!!