DC Direct to Video Releases

From Scooby Doo to Adult Swim, from Johnny Quest to Samurai Jack; discuss cartoons and animation here!!

Moderator: Controllers

Re: Justice League Dark

Postby mr.negativity » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:46 am

io9:
'First' Look at the Justice League Dark Animated Movie Skips Half the Team, But Has Batman
I mean, of course Justice League Dark gives us Batman. You simply can’t get away with releasing a DC team-based piece of media without Batman in it, right?
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Re: DC Direct to Video Releases

Postby mr.negativity » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:18 am

MIKE MIGNOLA's NEW GODS Character Designs
Previously-unreleased concept art by Mike Mignola for a cancelled Fourth World animated film utilizing the New Gods have come online.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:40 am

KEVIN SMITH OPEN TO AN ANIMATED ADAPTATION OF SUPERMAN LIVES
Sean Fischer wrote:In a recent Q&A session held via Facebook Live, writer and director Kevin Smith said he would be open to his script for the unproduced film “Superman Lives” being adapted as an animated feature. As reported by Comic Book Movie, Smith said he’d love to see an animated adaptation of the project, especially if the actors originally slated for the film participated, stating, “that would be really amazing to kind of see, like they turn it into a cartoon and get the people to do the voices. Nic Cage is still around and stuff. And I wanted Michael Rooker for my Lex Luthor so that would be amazing. Um, but, you know, I’m game.”

Smith went on to say that an adaptation would ultimately be “up to the good folks at Warner Bros. and stuff, but if they were ever to call and say hey we want to do a cartoon version of that Superman script we wrote, believe me I’d be like, that’d be dope man.” Smith’s been quite active with comic book-based projects this past year, directing episodes of “The Flash” and “Supergirl,” so an animated film could be a natural next step.

In recent years, “Superman Lives” — a scrapped ’90s revival of the Superman franchise, which was to be directed by Tim Burton — became a point of fascination for comic book fans. Stories of behind the scenes drama, scripts being leaked, and of course, images of Superman’s strange luminescent bio-suit sparked the imagination of fans, who wondered what this film would’ve looked like if it was fully realized. This interest from fans culminated in a crowdfunded documentary, “The Death of ‘Superman Lives’: What Happened?,” released last year, where director Jon Schnepp interviewed a number of key figures in the production of “Superman Lives,” including Kevin Smith himself. It’s fair to say that there’s still an audience curious about what “Superman Lives” would look like if it was realized in some capacity.

Recently, DC has been taking more risks with their animated features, releasing R-rated films like “The Killing Joke” and the upcoming “Justice League Dark” alongside the family-friend “Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders,” which is a sequel to the ’60s live action “Batman” series starring Adam West. With this in mind, there may be hope that “Superman Lives” could be resurrected.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Gentleman » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:42 am

Of course he'd be open to it. It's a paycheck. But I think it'd ultimately end up disappointing no matter how good it is. The mystery of the movie is what keeps it fascinating, the what-might-have-been of it all. Seeing a fully realized product would most likely leave many people cold, just like the long dreamed-of Killing Joke disappointed a lot of viewers.
I'm not a hero. I'm not a savior. Forget what you know.

I'm just a man whose circumstances went beyond his control.
Gentleman
Godzilla Jr.

Postby mr.negativity » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:57 am

io9:
Watch Batman Shave In the Justice League Dark Movie Because DC Believes You'll Watch Batman Do Anything
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Re: 'Teen Titans: Judas Contract'

Postby mr.negativity » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:37 am

Christina Ricci, Miguel Ferrer Join Voice Cast of 'Teen Titans' Animated Movie (Exclusive)
Here is the first look at the original DC animated film 'Teen Titans: Judas Contract,' which will feature popular villain Deathstroke.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby sentaison » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:27 am

The question is, did they already get Miguel Ferrer's voicework in, or did they release the announcement just before his death? :cry:
sentaison
Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:53 am

Bill Watters wrote:As was a lifelong fan of comics, he spoke of Batman as always having been his favorite character. He did have the opportunity to act in comics as the DC comics supervillain, the Weather Wizard, in both animated form (Superman (1996)) and live-action (Justice League of America (1997)).

Spoiler Below:
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Re: Wonder Woman: 2009

Postby mr.negativity » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:36 am

Wonder Woman: 2009 Animated Movie is Getting an R-Rated Director’s Cut
Stephen M. Colbert wrote:Following in the financial success of Deadpool, Logan is about to clear $100 million domestically in its second week in the box office, proving that there is a market for R-rated comic book fare. Fans are responding well the stories the R-rating allows filmmakers to tell, and the critical and financial success of both of these outings haven’t gone unnoticed by other studios, as DC is reportedly open to making more adult oriented movies as well.

It may seem like a newer fad, but R-rated comic book movies are nothing new. Before Marvel Studios, Marvel put out several R-rated movies, including Punisher and Blade, and DC has also already gone beyond PG-13 with Constantine, V for Vendetta, Watchmen, and the Batman v Superman: Ultimate Edition last year, so while it’s currently a hot topic, it’s hardly a new trend.

In fact, DC has also branched into R-rated territory in animation with its adaptation of The Killing Joke. The animated Suicide Squad movie, Assault on Arkham, was also more mature, but that didn’t get the rating bump, serving as more of a “hard PG-13”. According to a recent result on FilmRatings.com, another adult oriented piece of DC animation is on the way with an R-rated “Director’s Cut” of the 2009 Wonder Woman animated movie.

The listing only specifies “some violence” as its reason for the rating, so it’s hard to know what that means, especially in animation. Movie ratings can be a mysterious thing, and as we saw in the Batman v Superman: Ultimate Edition, sometimes simply cutting away a moment later or showing just a little more blood can make all the difference. Again, who knows how that translates to animation ratings, but the original version of Wonder Woman had some pretty violent action, including several beheadings, so it’s hard to imagine how the Director’s Cut will raise that bar.

The re-release of the movie this year is clearly meant to benefit from marketing synergy with the DCEU Wonder Woman film, and it’s also possible it will see a theatrical release, especially after a successful theatrical run of The Killing Joke last year. While the animated adaptation of the famous Alan Moore comic was generally frowned on by fans, it did bring in $4.4 million, despite having an extremely limited theatrical release.

There’s no official word on when this new version will be available, but a release prior to when Wonder Woman hits screens in June would seem to be the most sensible choice, as any buzz from the movie (which saw a very positive reception in 2009) could help get audiences hyped for the live-action version.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:21 pm

Its odd to think that when this film was first released in 2009, it was considered a "disappointment" because of *low sales*, when it was only the 4th of DC's animated films. Since then it has surpassed the older entry New Frontier in sales (which I actually prefer IMHO), and overall #9 of 27, so its in the top 1/3. At the time a sequel was scrapped. I figure after eight years, a sequel might not be possible, but was kind of hoping since the WW live action film was coming out. I knew the original was going to get a re-release, but I didn't know it was going to have scenes added to give it an R rating. I have no interest in this...a sequel to the original would have been much better. DC had some great PG-13 level animated films, why everything has to be pushed to R now makes no sense to me.
Film Wish List:1. Gamera Super Monster with Filmways opening/closing credits
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:10 pm

It's Coming....!!!

http://batman-news.com/2017/06/28/dc-un ... ollection/

After previously selling the films Justice League War Through JL vs TT, (not a big fan of all the new 52 incarnations) and not having seen the most recent 4, I might actually get this. The only downside is That TDKR is again split into 2 parts. I wish they would have included the "single feature film" version, and maybe insert another film as their 30th, The PG rated Justice League:Trapped in Time film could have fit the bill, or even Return of the Caped Crusaders. But who knows, if they are adding the extended version of the New Frontier and WW films, maybe TDKR combined version will be a bonus? I cant wait to hear more news on this. This would also definitely be a worthy upgrade since I have more than half of these only on standard DVD, to get them all on Blu Ray, would no doubt clear a lot of shelf space from previous individual releases.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby The Shadow » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:08 pm

I doubt the Wonder Woman movie will be the extended version; it was just re-released as a "Commemorative Edition" dropping the JL/JLU extras episodes and adding one or two new extras (maybe more, I'm not 100% certain) and WBHV kept the movie the same as originally released [PG-13 cut].

I still haven't picked up New Frontier; I didn't know a longer cut of it existed. I've read the story, I expect a longer cut of the movie would only be beneficial.

I'd have to go look and see, but I guess I probably have a 10 or so of the DC animated movies. I don't think I've bought any of the New-52 based movies as I was never much on that whole change to the DC Universe.
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow
Heisei Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:22 am

Newsarama July 21, 2017:
DEATH OF SUPERMAN & REIGN OF THE SUPERMEN To Be Adapted As Two 'More Faithful' Animated Films
Warner Bros. Animation, DC Entertainment and Warner Bros. Home Entertainment announced the adaptation of the iconic death and return of the Superman as two separate feature-length animated movies.

Revealed at San Diego Comic-Con Friday night, Death of Superman and Reign of the Supermen will follow an adaptation of Batman: Gotham by Gaslight, and the original Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay.

DC describes Gotham by Gaslight as "An adaptation of the popular 1989 tale that introduced us to a Victorian Era Dark Knight who was in pursuit of Jack the Ripper.

"Written by Brian Augustyn and drawn by Mike Mignola of Hellboy fame, Batman: Gotham by Gaslight is largely considered to be the very first 'Elseworlds' tale. At 48 pages, the original comic is relatively slim, meaning the movie version will offer an expanded version of the story, something that’s sure to delight fans of its cobblestone-paved world."

That will be followed in spring 2018 by Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay, the first Suicide Squad movie set within the DC Universe Original Movies’ shared continuity.

DC notes that Batman: Assault on Arkham, the 2014 movie that featured the Suicide Squad was set within the Arkham video game continuity.

Hell to Pay will feature an original story and what’s promised to be "an amazing, though sadly not-yet-revealed, voice cast."

ater in 2018 will be Death of Superman.

"Adapting the legendary story of Superman’s fatal battle with Doomsday, this will actually be the second DC Universe Original Movie to adapt the material," says DC. "The first, 2007’s Superman: Doomsday, was the very first DC Universe Original Movie and greatly condensed and altered the original comic book event to fit within its 75-minute running time. The upcoming adaptation will be more faithful to the source material, much less condensed and will include many of the fan-favorite moments from the story that were left out of Doomsday."

Finally, in early 2019, Reign of the Supermen, completes the two-part adaptation.

"While we’ll have to wait for an official synopsis to learn all of the details, that name should be a familiar one to Superman fans and suggests we’ll be seeing the rise of the Superman alternates that took his place during the year after his death. (For those unfamiliar with the story, they were Steel, Cyborg Superman, Superboy and the Last Son of Krypton.) This part of the Death and Return of Superman was greatly simplified in Doomsday, which instead featured a single alternate Superman rather than the four we saw in the comics."
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:49 am

Finally, seems like were getting away form the new 52 stuff, and finally an accurate full-on adaptation of Death/Return of Superman. The one I wanted 15 years ago! Yay!
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

"Justice League: The New Frontier Commemorative Edition"

Postby mr.negativity » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:27 pm

EDITED BY MODS DUE TO ISSUES WITH THIS THREAD.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:25 pm

EDITED BY MODS DUE TO ISSUES WITH THIS THREAD.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby EricDent » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:56 am

Ooh! I really liked Gotham by Gaslight!
Toho's Godzilla Will Live Forever!
EricDent
Godzilla

Re: Batman is a Ninja the movie!

Postby mr.negativity » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:00 pm

/film Sunday, October 1st, 2017:
‘Batman Ninja’ Anime Arrives in 2018 from ‘Afro Samurai’ Creator Takashi Okazaki
Ethan Anderton wrote:Batman Ninja is a new direct-to-video animated movie that will reimagine Batman as a ninja, complete with anime style animation. Sweetening the deal is the fact that Afro Samurai creator Takashi Okazaki is working on the Batman anime, which will have a panel at New York Comic-Con next weekend revealing more about the Batman Ninja anime.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby The Shadow » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:02 am

Oh cool! It's great to not only see some of the Elseworld's stories get the movie treatment, but now what is basically a new animated Elseworlds story.

As long as they're doing new Batman Elseworlds; remember the short-lived DC Nation block and it's shorts? It'd be great to see "The Bat Man of Shanghai" get a movie too.

phpBB [media]

Part 2: https://youtu.be/7UdPhqzFIRE

Part 3: https://youtu.be/HiGs04WSIaU
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow
Heisei Godzilla

Previous

Return to I Wanna Watch Cartoons!!