HOUSE (1977)

This is the place to discuss Asian films from all areas and genres! From The Seven Samurai to Battle Royale, from Matango to Gunhed.....let the discussion begin!

Moderator: Controllers

HOUSE (1977)

Postby MouthForWar » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:47 am

I just got back from a screening of this and HOLY MOLY. This is probably the single weirdest, craziest film I've seen... ever... and this comes from someone who loves "weird" cinema. Imagine Dario Argento making Evil Dead 2 as an episode of Pee Wee's Playhouse.... and the film makes even less sense than that description. Its just now being released in the States. It took 33 years but it was worth it. If this is playing near you, GO! I'll try and write up a review later.

By the way, I didn't see a thread for this already, so if there is one, it would be great if a mod could merge. 8-)
Last edited by MouthForWar on Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MouthForWar
Controller

Re: HOUSE (1977)

Postby Flame of Udin » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:01 am

MouthForWar wrote:I just got back from a screening of this and HOLY MOLY. This is probably the single weirdest, craziest film I've seen... ever... and this comes from someone who loves "weird" cinema. Imagine Dario Argento making Evil Dead 2 as an episode of Pee Wee's Playhouse.... and the film makes even less sense than that description. Its just now being released in the States. It took 13 years but it was worth it. If this is playing near you, GO! I'll try and write up a review later.

By the way, I didn't see a thread for this already, so if there is one, it would be great if a mod could merge. 8-)

I put one up in the Film Screenings thread but thats OK.

I saw this with my collage professor buddy, my wife and her little brother and unfortunately we were the only 4 in the theater which is usually the case (in fact the only showing I've been to where I wasn't the only one was when they screened Seven Samurai) and as my friend put it, "its like Sam Rami drank a bottle of Nyquil, moved to Japan, and decided to make a musical". With that said we all thought it was an absolutely BRILLIANT film. The use of pretty much every kind of special effect technique available at the time was genius! I even managed to snag a poster for the film while I was there since it looked so very cool.

I have been waiting patiently for Criterion to release this film. They sure are taking their time.
Flame of Udin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:11 am

Flame of Udin wrote:I have been waiting patiently for Criterion to release this film. They sure are taking their time.

Yeah, that's what they do... I've been waiting for their Cronos DVD for awhile now (its been over a year since they announced that one). They've also been sitting on X From Outer Space, Princess from the Moon and Goke for so long that I almost doubt they'll get released. It'll probably be forever until we get HOUSE though, since its theatrical run is still going strong... but knowing Criterion, it should be well worth it.

PS- If any mods wanna merge this with Udin's thread in the Screenings forum, that would be swell.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby king_ghidorah » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:56 am

Yeah man I can't wait to see this film...congrats on getting to see it finally! Now we just need the DVD or the blu ray already! :x
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby ultrazilla2000 » Wed May 05, 2010 4:48 am

Cool...I had no idea this was released here officially. I had seen it for the first time (watched it twice now) two months ago via download with fan made subs...a legit DVD would be nice to have.

The movie is a trip! Even after two viewings, I still don't fully understand what happened in the film, lol...but it was a highly entertaining ride. The scene with the cat meowing the theme while playing the piano had me in stitches!

My only complaint is how often the musical theme was used...it was non stop! :lol:
ultrazilla2000
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Fri May 07, 2010 4:15 pm

Criterion DVD coming September 7th!

http://wildgrounds.com/index.php/2010/0 ... criterion/
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby Flame of Udin » Fri May 07, 2010 10:43 pm

MouthForWar wrote:Criterion DVD coming September 7th!

http://wildgrounds.com/index.php/2010/0 ... criterion/

I love you MFW....there, I said it.

Thank you so much! this just made my night!
Flame of Udin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Sun May 09, 2010 5:00 pm

Check out my full review at SciFi Japan

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2010 ... ouse-1977/
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby August » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:40 pm

A friend of my is selling his HOUSE Original Soundtrack LP:
http://item.ebay.com/150488391483
August Ragone
Showa GAMERA Special Features Producer
BlogTHE GOOD, THE BAD AND GODZILLA
August
Burning Godzilla

Postby canofhumdingers » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:55 pm

MouthForWar wrote:Check out my full review at SciFi Japan

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2010 ... ouse-1977/

Nice write up. And holy crap, i clicked on the link listing theatrical screenings to see if it's gonna show near me (it is! on halloween no less). What do i discover? Something I've been searching for (to no avail) since I moved here 3 years ago. Art house theaters showing real 35mm prints of old movies! They're currently running a bunch of Mel Brooks' best films this month. But in Sept. and Oct. they're showing classic scifi including the likes of War of the Worlds(1953), Invasion of the Body Snatchers(1956), Forbidden Planet(1956), and last but certainly not least KING KONG(1933)!!!!!!!!! ALL are one time showings each of real 35mm prints!!!!!

But you know what the real kicker is? I probably won't get to see ONE of them b/c of my #@!*@*##!&*! work schedule!!!! AAAAAAARRRRRRRGHHHHH!!
canofhumdingers
Burning Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:21 am

Mouth, if I were to read your review would the movie be SPOILED for me or would it remain relatively SPOILER FREE???
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby MouthForWar » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:45 am

jellydonut25 wrote:Mouth, if I were to read your review would the movie be SPOILED for me or would it remain relatively SPOILER FREE???

Hmmm.... there aren't many spoilers as far as plot is concerned, but it was impossible to review that film without talking about some of the downright wacky deaths and set pieces... if you're wondering who dies and what the story really does, I'd say its spoiler free. The things that are kinda spoilery are breezed by pretty quick in the review.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby jellydonut25 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:54 pm

read Mouth's review...i'll have to see this now, i'm a bit nervous though...it seems like this could be one of those rare films where everyone loves it for the cheese and i find it to be unbearable...

i'm reserving any sort of judgment until i see it though...
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby MouthForWar » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:33 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:read Mouth's review...i'll have to see this now, i'm a bit nervous though...it seems like this could be one of those rare films where everyone loves it for the cheese and i find it to be unbearable...

Its definitely one of those movies. If you're not a fan of films like Evil Dead II, you'll find it unbearable. There's no middle ground with a movie like HOUSE. You'll either love it or hate it.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby Norman England » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:42 am

HOUSE is an awesomely fun film. A must see!

I recently spent the day with the director for a Fangoria piece on the film that will be in the October "Halloween" issue, along with my HELLDRIVER and VAMPIRE GIRL vs FRANKENSTEIN set reports.

But, HOUSE... Man, how can anyone NOT enjoy this film?
Norman England
Baby Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:45 am

Norman knows 8-)
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby jellydonut25 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:06 am

MouthForWar wrote:
jellydonut25 wrote:read Mouth's review...i'll have to see this now, i'm a bit nervous though...it seems like this could be one of those rare films where everyone loves it for the cheese and i find it to be unbearable...

Its definitely one of those movies. If you're not a fan of films like Evil Dead II, you'll find it unbearable. There's no middle ground with a movie like HOUSE. You'll either love it or hate it.
well, i LOVE evil dead II, but i LOATHE Bride of Frankenstein...sooooo....
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby lhb412 » Wed May 31, 2017 11:01 pm

It's amazing how this film broke out to such an extent in the US. It feels like anyone into cult or genre movies knows of it now, and in my experience I've turned several people onto it who have in turn turned others onto it.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:29 pm

I love that both the original Japanese poster and the American poster (produced decades later) are both iconic.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:04 am

This is a movie on my re-watch list. I wasn't crazy about it the first time, but I'm more curious to watch it again having learned more about it and its production...maybe give me a new perspective.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby lhb412 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:06 pm

There's a danger of illuminating the opaque in art, but I found the behind the scenes feature on Criterion's release super interesting, and enhanced my appreciation for the film.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Return to Japanese and Asian Sci-Fi, Horror and non-Genre films!