Recomended movies!

This is the place to discuss Asian films from all areas and genres! From The Seven Samurai to Battle Royale, from Matango to Gunhed.....let the discussion begin!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby gfanikf » Sun Nov 02, 2003 7:39 pm

August wrote:Celestial Pictures has released three of Shaw Brothers' 36 CHAMBER OF SHAOLIN films -- these are the definitive versions. As for MASTER OF THE FLYING GUILLOTINE, I wouldn't recommend that title as a first look at Kung Fu/Sword films, since it is so odd-ball.

Peace!

The word odd-ball is certainly a good description for the title with its bizzare but great soundtrack (and quite catchy industrial NiN feel to it), the yoga master, the flying Guillotine itself, the ingenious ways Jimmy Wang Yu defeats the master and his associates. I can see how it might not be the best to start out with but then again the first martial arts films I saw was Lo Wei's Jackie Chan films that my aunt got me in a ten pack when Rumble in the Bronx first came out. But you can't go wrong with the first 36th Chamber of Shailion movie, Gordon Liu is excellent and the Region 3 DVD is absolutely wonderful.
gfanikf

Postby Battra92 » Sun Nov 02, 2003 11:08 pm

Today I watched the Shaw Brothers film "We Love Millionaires" and I'm now hooked on these Inoue Umetsugu musicals.

I really curse the 90s and the grunge movement. Girls used to dress up at one time and now they are just so ... casual. (Chris goes off to cry as he knows he'll never see a gal wearing a sexy mini like those in the film)
Featured Flick Review - Anime, Kaiju, Kung Fu, Cult Films and more!
My DVD Collection | My Backlog
Battra92

Postby August » Mon Nov 03, 2003 7:22 am

The music in FLYING GUILLOTINE was cribbed from the German experimental band NEU! -- QT used one of the cues heard in GULLOTINE (Super 16) in KILL BILL. An except is included on the KILL BILL soundtrack.

IMHO, I really do think the best produced and lavish Kung Fu films were the Shaw Brothers productions from the late 1960s through the 1970s -- of course, Jackie Chan revolutionized the genre with Golden Harvest with FEARLESS HYENA and especially THE YOUNG MASTER.

As for girls dressed up in sexy clothes, all you need to do is go to Rockabilly or Mod shows (do people still go to Mod shows?) -- one of the biggest in the world is "Viva Las Vegas" held in the said city in April http://www.vivalasvegas.net or "Tease-o-Rama" http://www.teaseorama.com/ which happens in September in different cities.

Woo-hoo!
August Ragone
Showa GAMERA Special Features Producer
BlogTHE GOOD, THE BAD AND GODZILLA
August
Burning Godzilla

Postby Battra92 » Mon Nov 03, 2003 9:36 am

August wrote:IMHO, I really do think the best produced and lavish Kung Fu films were the Shaw Brothers productions from the late 1960s through the 1970s -- of course, Jackie Chan revolutionized the genre with Golden Harvest with FEARLESS HYENA and especially THE YOUNG MASTER.

IIRC Fearless Hyena was made at Lo Wei's studio and JC's first Golden Harvest film was The Young Master.

IMO one of the best Kung Fu films is "Prodigal Son" with Yuen Biao and directed by Sammo Hung. It's sad that Biao never got the respect and box office sales his opera buddies Jackie and Sammo did.

Of course with the 80s arrival and the successes of such local comedians as the Hui Brothers and the emergence of Cantonese as the main film language of HK, Kung Fu films seemed to all but disappear. Audiences were tired of Kung Fu flick after Kung Fu flick. They wanted more exciting action/comedy films in a modern setting like the insanely popular Aces Go Places series with Sam Hui and Karl Maka.

Now a martial arts costume epic is an exception and not the rule. Though some of the old Shaw Brothers execs financed a new film directed by Lau Kar-Leung called Drunken Monkey. Of course HK is currently under seige by those adorable Twins so it's no surprise that the biggest film of this summer in HK was Gill and Charlene killing Vampires. :D

August wrote:As for girls dressed up in sexy clothes, all you need to do is go to Rockabilly or Mod shows (do people still go to Mod shows?) -- one of the biggest in the world is "Viva Las Vegas" held in the said city in April http://www.vivalasvegas.net or "Tease-o-Rama" http://www.teaseorama.com/ which happens in September in different cities.

I dunno, it's just not the same really. Seems almost kind of weird in a way. (in the same way RenFests freak me out)
Battra92

Postby August » Mon Nov 03, 2003 3:13 pm

<< IIRC Fearless Hyena was made at Lo Wei's studio and JC's first Golden Harvest film was The Young Master. >>

You're right; it's been years since I have seen these films.

<< IMO one of the best Kung Fu films is "Prodigal Son" with Yuen Biao and directed by Sammo Hung. >>

It was an excellent film, but I am partial to the 1960s-1970s films, more than 1980s-1990s.

<< Of course with the 80s arrival and the successes of such local comedians as the Hui Brothers and the emergence of Cantonese as the main film language of HK, Kung Fu films seemed to all but disappear. Audiences were tired of Kung Fu flick after Kung Fu flick. They wanted more exciting action/comedy films in a modern setting like the insanely popular Aces Go Places series with Sam Hui and Karl Maka. >>

Those are fun films.

<< Now a martial arts costume epic is an exception and not the rule. Though some of the old Shaw Brothers execs financed a new film directed by Lau Kar-Leung called Drunken Monkey. >>

Saw it, looked good, enjoyable. But, I'm more into the Old Skool stuff. That's just me -- I prefer the Showa to the Heisei, too.

<< I dunno, it's just not the same really. Seems almost kind of weird in a way. (in the same way RenFests freak me out) >>

Not weird at all, really. Not like Ren at all, either. Rockabilly is a lifestyle, with people who prefer the post war 1950s asthetic. People aren't reinacting or "dressing up" for the weekend. We dress like this every day -- I've been into vintage clothes and esthetic for almost two decades now. It's no weirder than being a fan of kung fu or kaiju movies -- it's like following current trends of dress and style or not. It's a look.

Tease-o-Rama is an event which celebrates the hey-day of Burlesque, which is coming back in a big way -- the backlash of the retro-lifestyle scenes (Rockabilly, Lounge and Swing).
August Ragone
August
Burning Godzilla

Postby dvdspaz » Mon Nov 03, 2003 5:49 pm

I am patiently waiting for Celestial to release the following films on dvd

Cripple avengers
Super Ninjas
Spearman of Death
5 masters of Death
Kid with the Golden Arm
Masked avengers

My old vhs copies are degrading.
dvdspaz
Baby Godzilla

Postby Battra92 » Mon Nov 03, 2003 8:06 pm

August wrote:<< Of course with the 80s arrival and the successes of such local comedians as the Hui Brothers and the emergence of Cantonese as the main film language of HK, Kung Fu films seemed to all but disappear. Audiences were tired of Kung Fu flick after Kung Fu flick. They wanted more exciting action/comedy films in a modern setting like the insanely popular Aces Go Places series with Sam Hui and Karl Maka. >>

Those are fun films.

Indeed. Matter of fact I think I'll add the Aces Go Places series to my list of reccomended Asian films. That and I should add ANYTHING with Michael Hui in it (well except Cannonball Run of course) and especialy the stuff the three brothers did together.
Battra92

Postby August » Wed Nov 05, 2003 2:53 am

The funniest Michael Hui movie was one that he did with his brother Sam Hui: FROM RICHES TO RAGS -- I laughed out loud, which is rare with me in regards to Canto Comedies (except for Stephen Chow's movies such as FROM BEIJING WITH LOVE, LOVE ON DELIVERY and SHAOLIN SOCCER).

I'm looking forward to THE ONE-ARMED SWORDSMAN, THE FIVE VENOMS, THE ONE-ARMED BOXER, NEW ONE-ARMED SWORDSMAN, KING BOXER and AVENGING EAGLES -- as well as all the other Old Skool (pre-1980s) Shaw Brothers Martial Arts films.

I just got 36 CHAMBER OF SHAOLIN, IRON BODYGUARD and THE WATER MARGIN, and will pick up ALL MEN ARE BROTHERS, TRAIL OF THE BROKEN BLADE, JADE TIGER, HEROES SHED NO TEARS and SOUL OF THE SWORD very soon (as well as THE SUPER INFRAMAN)!

Peace!
August Ragone
August
Burning Godzilla

Postby Battra92 » Wed Nov 05, 2003 10:33 am

August wrote:The funniest Michael Hui movie was one that he did with his brother Sam Hui: FROM RICHES TO RAGS -- I laughed out loud, which is rare with me in regards to Canto Comedies (except for Stephen Chow's movies such as FROM BEIJING WITH LOVE, LOVE ON DELIVERY and SHAOLIN SOCCER).

Are you sure you don't have your titles mixed up? "From Riches to Rags" was a Ricky Hui film (directed by John Woo BTW) FRTR is where Ricky wins the lottery but later thinks he's dying of cancer so he hires a hitman to take him out (though he isn't really dying after all) Michael & Sam aren't in that one but Sam did write the theme song (and Ricky sang it)

The films Sam & Michael did together were:
Games Gamblers Play
The Last Message
Private Eyes
The Contract
Security Unlimited

Then Sam left Golden Harvest for Cinema City and the three didn't make a movie together for some time until Front Page made in 1990. Though Ricky it seems would go back and forth between brothers cameoing in Sam's Aces Go Places III (which features a heck of a lot of cameos btw) and Michael's Happy Din Don. MOF Ricky even played bit parts in a lot of other movies as well (Project A2, The Inspector Wears Skirts) He was really in more cameos than starring roles.

I agree Cantonese comedies can be very hit or miss. Some from the 80s are really good while some are really bad. Some reccomended HK comedies I liked:

All the Wrong Clues
All the Wrong Spies
Any of the Lucky Stars films (Winners and Sinners, My Lucky Stars, Twinkle Twinkle Lucky Stars etc.)
Miracles (Jackie Chan's best IMO)
The Pom Pom films (with Richard Ng and John Sham -- BTW Michael Hui was in Mr Boo meets Pom Pom)
Laughing Times (Dean Shek made a great Chaplin impersonator)
Beware of Pickpockets
Chasing Girls
Dances with the Dragon (Surprising for me since its a bit of a silly romantic comedy)
100 Ways to Murder Your Wife (Chow Yun Fat is a riot in that)
The Crazy Companies (but only because Chigmy Yau looks so adorable in those glasses she wore in the film) :wink:

I'm sure there's many more I'm just forgetting right now but unfortunately some of the recent comedies like My Wife is 18 (despite starring taller Twin Charlene Choi) didn't really do anything for me. Some other HK comedies I've seen like She Starts the Fire are just terrible.

Right now I'm currently awaiting a DVD release of "The Spy Dad" However it will be a couple months yet since it just opened in theaters. Despite being a Wong Jing directed film (and we all know how great he can make films :roll: ) I want to see it for shorter (and possibly cuter) Twin Gillian Chung. :D
Last edited by Battra92 on Thu Nov 06, 2003 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Battra92

my picks....

Postby G0JIMAN » Wed Nov 05, 2003 3:47 pm

dont know if anyone has mentioned these yet;

from Hong Kong, Jet Li's "Hero" is excellent

from Korea, "Musa; the warrior"

also have to agree with others about "Versus" - it was a nice change of pace from common hollywood flick. Tokyo shock did a decent job on the DVD, although the sound could have been better (voice levels are sometimes too low).

another great flick i would recomend is "Asoka" from India. Be warned however, that being a Bollywood picture, this one is interlaced with several musical numbers. Surpirsingly, this does not detract from the overall experience.
G0JIMAN

Postby August » Wed Nov 05, 2003 5:41 pm

<<Are you sure you don't have your titles mixed up? "From Riches to Rags" was a Ricky Hui film (directed by John Woo BTW)>>

That's it! Thanks -- I'm not really up on these films, I'm more of an Old Skool (1960s/1970s) Martial Arts film guy. I saw that film with PROJECT A waaaaay back in 1984, at the now-defunct Sun Sing Theater in San Francisco...

Peace!

Peace!
August Ragone
August
Burning Godzilla

Postby Battra92 » Wed Nov 05, 2003 10:28 pm

August wrote:<<Are you sure you don't have your titles mixed up? "From Riches to Rags" was a Ricky Hui film (directed by John Woo BTW)>>

That's it! Thanks -- I'm not really up on these films, I'm more of an Old Skool (1960s/1970s) Martial Arts film guy. I saw that film with PROJECT A waaaaay back in 1984, at the now-defunct Sun Sing Theater in San Francisco...

Sounds like that must've been fun.

Well today I watched Hong Kong Nocturne. It was really a great film actually and I only had a few issues with the story (it got too sad at times) but the song and dance numbers were fun enough.

BTW, the main song in the film sounded stragely similar to "California Here I Come" (the song is on the trailer featured on the Come Drink With Me DVD IIRC)
Battra92

Postby william newell » Wed Nov 05, 2003 11:07 pm

Another movie to watch for is Princess Blade. This movie has some really great fight scenes and I found it to be enjoyable overall. Just my two cents.
william newell
Heisei Godzilla

Postby G0JIMAN » Thu Nov 06, 2003 1:48 pm

Princess Blade is scheduled for release to DVD this month. (ADV films i believe) I found it pretty entertaining as well. Got mine off of ebay
G0JIMAN

Postby mgkeller » Thu Nov 06, 2003 2:13 pm

Now someone do a rough estimate on how much it would cost to buy all of these DVDs.

Girls used to dress up at one time and now they are just so ... casual.

They still look good naked...
mgkeller

Postby CyHunter » Thu Nov 06, 2003 8:20 pm

^^:lmfao: Man, you can't get much more blunt than that!
CyHunter
Burning Godzilla

Postby buddah11674 » Mon Dec 01, 2003 5:30 pm

I have three favorite japanese non-kaiju movies.

1. AUDITION. I know it was already mentioned, but wow! It needs to be mentioned again. A great film to watch right after a relationship goes bad. Makes you feel good to be alone.

2. ADRENALINE DRIVE. Great dark comedy with Yakuza elements.

3. NON-STOP. The japanese version of the dog chasing the cat chasing the mouse. Yakuza elements in this one, too.
Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart Image
buddah11674
Godzilla Jr.

one more must see flick...

Postby G0JIMAN » Tue Dec 02, 2003 3:10 pm

i finally got around to watching "Fulltime Killer" - LOVED it!
Great action flick. Andy Lau gives a fairly convincing performance as a lunatic assasin.

Also got "freeze me" but have yet to watch it....
G0JIMAN

Postby Reddu Kingu » Wed Dec 24, 2003 12:54 pm

Just got done viewing Azumi, another beautifully made samurai thriller. I'm also waiting for Beat Takeshi's Zatoichi to be released on DVD.

On the subject of HK flicks, I do enjoy a lot of older martial arts films from Sammo Hung, Yuen Biao, and Jackie, such as these I recommend:
Pedicab Driver
Knockabout
Warriors Two
Prodigal Son
Wheels On Meals
The Victim
License to Steal
Odd Couple
Police Story 1 and 2
Project A
Dragons Forever
Paper Marriage
Shanghai Express
Righting Wrongs
My Lucky Stars
Twinkle, Twinkle Lucky Stars
The Champions (not really kung-fu, but inspired Shaolin Soccer)
Reddu Kingu
Little Godzilla

Postby G0JIMAN » Mon Jan 19, 2004 11:55 am

Red King wrote:Just got done viewing Azumi, another beautifully made samurai thriller.

on DVD? the only version i've seen available is at AZNfilms and they want $65 for it!!! I want to see this one but i'm not paying THAT for it!
G0JIMAN

Postby August » Mon Jan 19, 2004 3:32 pm

$65 is probably for the Deluxe Two-Disc Set (with a booklet and a manga) -- there is also a single disc available, which also contains English subs, too (while Toho released the film in theaters, Toshiba had the DVD rights, which is why it contains subs).

Peace!

P.S. BTW, Kitamura's ARAGAMI (along with some other recent Japanese films) is playing at the San Francisco Indie Film Festival at the end of this month. Next month, the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in SF is screening a 35mm print of GOKE: BODYSNATCHER FROM HELL!
August Ragone
August
Burning Godzilla

Postby Shonokin » Wed Jan 21, 2004 1:01 pm

^^ Speaking of deluxe sets... I was at Kinokuniya a couple of days ago and they have a THREE DVD set of GMK there. I don't know what the price is, but for a real enthusiasts it might be worth it. I think Kinokuniya's prices are really steep on most stuff, so I didn't even look... I'm guessing it's over $60

BTW, I went to that grocery store across the street that you were talking about with the candy toys and scooped up some Faiz toys for my coworkers. That store happened to be one of the only places I've found with a certain type of rice cracker/cookie that my wife loves. So thanks for the heads up... double score for that day!
Shonokin
Monster 01

Postby Reddu Kingu » Sat Jan 24, 2004 9:58 pm

Shonokin wrote:^^ Speaking of deluxe sets... I was at Kinokuniya a couple of days ago and they have a THREE DVD set of GMK there. I don't know what the price is, but for a real enthusiasts it might be worth it. I think Kinokuniya's prices are really steep on most stuff, so I didn't even look... I'm guessing it's over $60

That's the official Toho DVD release, which unfortunately doesn't have English subtitles. It's well worth over $100, since many online retailers list it for 10,000 yen.

With a much better video transfer and countless DVD extras in comparison to the R1 Sony release, it's worth every penny if you're a total completist. :D
Reddu Kingu
Little Godzilla

Postby el-brazo » Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:52 am

I'ld like to mention ONIBABA. I can't remember the details, because I saw it many years ago, but I know that I was very impressed by that movie. Last week I heard that it will be released on DVD by Criterion soon, so I preordered it instantly.
el-brazo

Postby G0JIMAN » Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:50 pm

Shaolin Soccer KICKS ASS!
G0JIMAN

PreviousNext

Return to Japanese and Asian Sci-Fi, Horror and non-Genre films!