Sounds cool, BUT......

Discussion on Shin Godzilla and rumors, news, and speculation on other possible future Godzilla projects, including the Godzilla Anime project! Discuss them here!

Moderator: Controllers

Sounds cool, BUT......

Postby mechakingghidorah » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:10 pm

I wish this was just going to be a normal release movie, for normal theaters and what not. IMAX theaters are few and far between, and there are a lot of us who do not live in or near places like LA or New York where they have IMAX screens, and also do not have time and the extra money to go traveling to such places to see a movie that only plays on a few, select theaters. This is the same problem that existed with Rialto's re-release in the summer of 2004 for the 1954 original Godzilla. This sounds like a fun and cool, quickie action packed Godzilla "film", but I really hope this gets released to dvd and all, otherwise, I, and undoubtedtly many others, will never get to see this. I don't know much about IMAX. Do IMAX films normally get released to dvd? The 3-D and all that sounds fun, but I would also just like to see this period, even if it's just "normal".

On the one hand, this is neat because it's something new for Godzilla, but on the otherhand, wouldn't it have been nice if a, how should I say it, NORMAL Godzilla film got American co-financing and American theater releases planned in advance like this? Why didn't Toho try to do something like this with GFW? Why wait for this "special project"?
"Watch it, X-Man!" - Kazama
mechakingghidorah
Godzillasaurus

Postby MouthForWar » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:31 pm

Toho ended their series and this isn't a Toho movie. Toho is done with Godzilla right now. This is a fan film that Toho will be distributing in Japan, and will be distributed by Banno's company everywhere else. Its not a feature length film either. It might not even be made. Think of it as a fan film or a park ride, not a "new Godzilla movie"
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby GodzillaKOTM » Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:19 am

MouthForWar wrote:Toho ended their series and this isn't a Toho movie. Toho is done with Godzilla right now. This is a fan film that Toho will be distributing in Japan, and will be distributed by Banno's company everywhere else. Its not a feature length film either. It might not even be made. Think of it as a fan film or a park ride, not a "new Godzilla movie"

Thank the gods for that. Seeing Godzilla flying? Lame

It worked with Gamera, NOT Godzilla.
Again I say Tomoyuki Tanaka is rolling around in his grave.
GodzillaKOTM
Godzilla Jr.

Postby Gwangi » Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:14 pm

GodzillaKOTM wrote: Thank the gods for that. Seeing Godzilla flying? Lame

It worked with Gamera, NOT Godzilla.
Again I say Tomoyuki Tanaka is rolling around in his grave.

Well, if it were up to me, I probably wouldn't have Godzilla fly either. However, the thought of Godzilla flying (at least for me) was not the worst thing that ever happened to him. Sure, some would deem it silly, but at least it's interesting. The worst thing, I believe that they did to Godzilla was making him larger, bulkier and ultimately stiff during the 1990s, not being able to do much except shooting his ray, which for me, made for one very dull monster.
Gwangi
Heisei Godzilla

Re: Sounds cool, BUT......

Postby ryuuseipro » Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:04 am

mechakingghidorah wrote:I wish this was just going to be a normal release movie, for normal theaters and what not. IMAX theaters are few and far between, and there are a lot of us who do not live in or near places like LA or New York where they have IMAX screens, and also do not have time and the extra money to go traveling to such places to see a movie that only plays on a few, select theaters.

Wow, I used to live in the Bronx (I'm a NY native), which is, like, 8 hours away from where I live, and I'm light years away from California (I'm not even the richest man in the world), but there happens to be an IMAX theater down here (at the Science Museum of Virginia), in downtown Richmond, Virginia (which is not all that well known to Godzilla fans anyway, so I must be fortunate for a New Yorker Godzilla fan who has peacefully resided East Coast Middle America for almost 12 years).

For those who don't have an IMAX theater (or don't know of a local place that shows IMAX movies, like museums), I don't know what to say. :dunno:

This sounds like a fun and cool, quickie action packed Godzilla "film", but I really hope this gets released to dvd and all, otherwise, I, and undoubtedtly many others, will never get to see this. I don't know much about IMAX. Do IMAX films normally get released to dvd?

Of course. There are plenty of IMAX films out on DVD.
-John Cassidy
Richmond, VA
http://ryuuseipro.livejournal.com/

"The monster a child knows best and is most concerned with [is] the monster he feels or fears himself to be." -Bruno Bettelheim
ryuuseipro
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Metalliza » Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:51 pm

MouthForWar wrote:Think of it as a fan film or a park ride, not a "new Godzilla movie"

Have to disagree. If made, it's being released into theatres and then (most likely) to DVD. Yeah, it's only 40 minutes long, but it's still a movie.

For the record, Godzilla's Revenge is only 70 minutes long. There's a mere 30 minute difference. That puts Revenge closer into Godzilla 3D's ballpark than Final Wars. And Revenge was almost entirely stock footage, not to mention Godzilla didn't even exist in it. Where do you draw the line?

The only thing that seperates Godzilla 3D is that it will play on a bigger screen and is 3D. So what? It's not much different than when KKvsG made the leap to color and Cinemascope. And IMAX might turn out to be the standard some day.
Metalliza

Re: Sounds cool, BUT......

Postby Goji66 » Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:46 pm

ryuuseipro wrote:For those who don't have an IMAX theater (or don't know of a local place that shows IMAX movies, like museums), I don't know what to say. :dunno:

Well, it's not like I have to worry. There's 4 IMAX screens that I know of in my town -- three of them at the Paramount theater (where Batman Begins, LOTR, and WWE pay-per-views were/are shown in IMAX) and another one at the Science Center in Old Montreal (this is where they show films like Everest and Nascar).

So if G-3D gets made, I won't have to travel very far to see it. :P
Goji66

Postby china » Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:52 pm

I don't consider this a movie personally. GR's 70 minutes may be short but it's still a lot more than 40. This is more of a novelty item to me...

In the states is there a certain running time that a film would have to pass to be considered a movie? I know there is in Canada and I think it's actually 70 minutes...

Anyway, I know there are a few IMAX theaters in Toronto! I am looking farward to seeing this!! :)
china

Postby mr.negativity » Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:04 pm

I like everything about this project except for one detail. I HATE 3-D! :x
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby kidnicky » Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:00 am

mr.negativity wrote:I like everything about this project except for one detail. I HATE 3-D! :x

3-D isn't like it was,though. I just saw this 3-D movie at Hersheypark,it's nothing like those old comics and 50's drive-in flicks. It's really cool.
Twitter rxchrisg
kidnicky
Burning Godzilla

Postby Brick Side » Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:15 am

MouthForWar wrote:Toho ended their series and this isn't a Toho movie. Toho is done with Godzilla right now. This is a fan film that Toho will be distributing in Japan, and will be distributed by Banno's company everywhere else. Its not a feature length film either. It might not even be made. Think of it as a fan film or a park ride, not a "new Godzilla movie"

That's a good point. We aren't even sure if it will be made or not. It might totally fall through for all we know.
Brick Side
Burning Godzilla

Postby Brianzilla2003 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:43 pm

Metalliza wrote:
MouthForWar wrote:Think of it as a fan film or a park ride, not a "new Godzilla movie"

Have to disagree. If made, it's being released into theatres and then (most likely) to DVD. Yeah, it's only 40 minutes long, but it's still a movie.

For the record, Godzilla's Revenge is only 70 minutes long. There's a mere 30 minute difference. That puts Revenge closer into Godzilla 3D's ballpark than Final Wars. And Revenge was almost entirely stock footage, not to mention Godzilla didn't even exist in it. Where do you draw the line?

The only thing that seperates Godzilla 3D is that it will play on a bigger screen and is 3D. So what? It's not much different than when KKvsG made the leap to color and Cinemascope. And IMAX might turn out to be the standard some day.

Um, that's actually a BIG difference. It's 75% longer than G3D is supposed to be. I consider anything about an hour or longer a full-length movie. G3D, I wouldn't consider a NORMAL movie. It's not even really a movie, it's more of a short.
Ah!!! It's Godzilla!!!
Ha, it's only Zilla.
Brianzilla2003
Godzillasaurus

Postby Gigan71 » Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:26 am

Luckily there is one a few miles from where i live.
Gigan71
Godzilla Jr.

Postby Elliot Gay » Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:28 am

Well, In japan I believe, there are 'movies' released that top off at 30 minutes.

Just some food for the mind...or..uh..your cat.
Elliot Gay
Heisei Godzilla

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:43 pm

Brick Side wrote:

That's a good point. We aren't even sure if it will be made or not. It might totally fall through for all we know.

Though it's a very intriguing project and it seems Banno is quite serious, I have a hard time believing an American company would be interested in co-producing a 9 million dollar Godzilla feature on IMAX...
GIANTC0ND0R!!!!!!!! :eek:

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla

Postby bunnyhero » Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:10 pm

i can't remember if anyone else has already pointed this out, but i think most made-for-IMAX features are 40 minutes long (as opposed to regular features films that are rescreened on IMAX).

info on the t-rex 3D IMAX film (40 minutes long)

some other 3D IMAX film (also 40 minutes)

etc.

i get the feeling that people who haven't been to an IMAX theatre don't really realize that this is a very different format. it's not just a regular movie blown up huge. stuff made for IMAX is shot at a MUCH higher resolution, and the theatres themselves are huge... the seating is really steep... it really is a specialty format.

some technical info here: http://ieee.ca/millennium/imax/imax_technical.html

and while regular features are often shown in imax theatres, that really doesn't give you the true imax experience, IMHO... filmmakers can use much wider angle shots, for example, without worrying about the audience not being able to see things because they're too small.
bunnyhero
Godzilla

Postby AnguirusAnguirus » Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:34 pm

I'm also very excited about the proposed "marketing blitz!" Seeing a batch of new Godzilla products come out would make Jack a very happy boy.
AnguirusAnguirus

Return to Shin Godzilla and Beyond!