Godzilla, Corny To The Max.

Discussion on Shin Godzilla and rumors, news, and speculation on other possible future Godzilla projects, including the Godzilla Anime project! Discuss them here!

Moderator: Controllers

Godzilla, Corny To The Max.

Postby TerranigmaFreak » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:37 am

I wonder what the Godzilla suit will look like. I wouldn't be too bad if it was something like the 1995 Gamera. He looks big and friendly, yet not too silly/corny. Personally, I have no problem with returning to the 70s hero Godzilla. All I ask is that they at least don't try to make a goofy looking Godzilla with goofy hand gestures. I honestly can't imagine how Godzilla will fly and not look silly. I hope I'll be proven wrong though. Hopefully, we won't get silly/preachy lectures about pollution either.

Hey when are we going to get a board for discussing this movie? I see it being discussing in two different sections right now.
TerranigmaFreak
Heisei Godzilla

Re: Godzilla, Corny To The Max.

Postby briizilla » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:00 pm

TerranigmaFreak wrote:I wonder what the Godzilla suit will look like. I wouldn't be too bad if it was something like the 1995 Gamera. He looks big and friendly, yet not too silly/corny. Personally, I have no problem with returning to the 70s hero Godzilla. All I ask is that they at least don't try to make a goofy looking Godzilla with goofy hand gestures. I honestly can't imagine how Godzilla will fly and not look silly. I hope I'll be proven wrong though. Hopefully, we won't get silly/preachy lectures about pollution either.

Hey when are we going to get a board for discussing this movie? I see it being discussing in two different sections right now.

How many threads do we need about this topic? And why did you title this corny to the max? Good to see you have an open mind about it.
~Brian~

briizilla
Burning Godzilla

Postby Danny B » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:05 pm

Corny or not I'm thrilled to see Godzilla on a monster-size Imax screen.
Danny B

Postby Robert Saint John » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:23 pm

TerranigmaFreak wrote:Hey when are we going to get a board for discussing this movie? I see it being discussing in two different sections right now.

Mods are going to discuss it. It may be too early for a complete section, maybe not. In the meantime, everyone should try to keep the messages in as few threads as possible.
Robert - Cleveland, OH
(formerly mechascorpio)
Robert Saint John
Burning Godzilla

Postby TerranigmaFreak » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:14 pm

briizilla wrote:
TerranigmaFreak wrote:I wonder what the Godzilla suit will look like. I wouldn't be too bad if it was something like the 1995 Gamera. He looks big and friendly, yet not too silly/corny. Personally, I have no problem with returning to the 70s hero Godzilla. All I ask is that they at least don't try to make a goofy looking Godzilla with goofy hand gestures. I honestly can't imagine how Godzilla will fly and not look silly. I hope I'll be proven wrong though. Hopefully, we won't get silly/preachy lectures about pollution either.

How many threads do we need about this topic? And why did you title this corny to the max? Good to see you have an open mind about it.

I am being open minded about the movie. I just want something fun, not silly fun, or too serious to be fun. Just plain fun. But is it too much to ask that Godzilla doesn't perform a dancing jig in the movie?
TerranigmaFreak
Heisei Godzilla

Postby jkrouskop » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:19 pm

Well, he is going to fly.
jkrouskop

Postby Kaiju Nexus » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:06 pm

TerranigmaFreak wrote:Hopefully, we won't get silly/preachy lectures about pollution either.

No, this time we'll get silly/preachy lectures about...chlorophyl?!

...and 9/11 :roll:

With the exception of the monster battles, survey says..."G3D is gonna suck"!

"Because, if we didn't debate over silly nonsense, we wouldn't be fans. :) "

- pocketmego
Kaiju Nexus
Heisei Godzilla

Postby briizilla » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:21 pm

Kaiju Nexus wrote:
TerranigmaFreak wrote:Hopefully, we won't get silly/preachy lectures about pollution either.

:roll:
~Brian~

briizilla
Burning Godzilla

Postby walshbeme » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:13 pm

Kaiju Nexus wrote:

Opinion is a lonely thing.
walshbeme

Postby bunnyhero » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:14 pm

danbag302 wrote:Corny or not I'm thrilled to see Godzilla on a monster-size Imax screen.

AMEN to that!! in 3D no less!
bunnyhero
Godzilla

Postby Kaiju Nexus » Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:04 am

walshbeme wrote:
Kaiju Nexus wrote:

What...what kind of statement is that? I mean, it would be one thing if you said "YOUR opinion". But to generalize the very notion of an opinion as being lonely? Isn't it a given that opinions are usually shared by at least more than one person? I mean, it's your opinion that the film ISN'T going to suck. Is that lonely as well? I just don't understand where your going with this... Odd. Very odd, indeed.

Well, anyway...G3D still sucks.

"Because, if we didn't debate over silly nonsense, we wouldn't be fans. :) "

- pocketmego
Kaiju Nexus
Heisei Godzilla

Postby walshbeme » Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:36 am

Kaiju Nexus wrote:
walshbeme wrote:
Kaiju Nexus wrote:

What...what kind of statement is that? I mean, it would be one thing if you said "YOUR opinion". But to generalize the very notion of an opinion as being lonely? Isn't it a given that opinions are usually shared by at least more than one person? I mean, it's your opinion that the film ISN'T going to suck. Is that lonely as well? I just don't understand where your going with this... Odd. Very odd, indeed.

I never said the film was or wasn't going to suck. Someone else did. If anything, that person's judgement is a little premature, to say the least. We will not know for sure until the project has been completed. Only then will opinions really matter. However, I will say this. In today's world, the story has relevance. So much for opinions.
walshbeme

Postby kidnicky » Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:45 am

Kaiju Nexus wrote:

It does not exist yet.
Twitter rxchrisg
kidnicky
Burning Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:42 am

Godzilla has almost ALWAYS been corny and that's one of the things that gives the films their charm (especially the Showa series). Godzilla in general, is corny (which IS a good thing), deal with it.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby godzillamaster66 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:11 pm

I don't care if the film is worse then Manos the Hands of Fate, as long as it's fun, I'll see it. Films that are "good" like GMK are very boring and I can't even sit through the whole movie.
godzillamaster66
Godzilla Jr.

Postby swfreakjpb » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:00 pm

Once again, how can more new Toho Godzilla really suck? I am very surprised at the news of this project.
Joined in 1997

"Godzilla doesn't give a crap about France" (Tom Green)

Where's a Giant Monster when you need one?
swfreakjpb
Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:32 pm

swfreakjpb wrote:Once again, how can more new Toho Godzilla really suck? I am very surprised at the news of this project.

This isn't a Toho production.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby kidnicky » Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:01 am

^ I think he said Toho Godzilla to differentiate between it and GINO.
Twitter rxchrisg
kidnicky
Burning Godzilla

Postby GodzillaKOTM » Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:09 am

MouthForWar wrote:
swfreakjpb wrote:Once again, how can more new Toho Godzilla really suck? I am very surprised at the news of this project.

Sounds real great, Toho refuses to fund it. Here is some more info on this nitwit
http://www.tohokingdom.com/web_pages/lost_projects/godzilla_vs_hedorah_2_ver1.htm

There is a reason they didn't ant him to make another Godzilla movie.
Hopefully this idiocy will die down and go away. Banno should stick to his day job.
Tomoyuki Tanaka is rolling around in his grave right now...
GodzillaKOTM
Godzilla Jr.

Postby Xenorama » Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:44 am

wow, calling someone a nitwit- now that's a mature response to a film. that's thin ice as far as i'm concerned. keep that in mind.

David
Xenorama
Monster 01

Postby kidnicky » Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:02 am

GodzillaKOTM wrote:
MouthForWar wrote:

Sounds real great, Toho refuses to fund it. Here is some more info on this nitwit
http://www.tohokingdom.com/web_pages/lost_projects/godzilla_vs_hedorah_2_ver1.htm

There is a reason they didn't ant him to make another Godzilla movie.
Hopefully this idiocy will die down and go away. Banno should stick to his day job.
Tomoyuki Tanaka is rolling around in his grave right now...

Isn't Banno's day job filmmaking?
Twitter rxchrisg
kidnicky
Burning Godzilla

Postby Glow-nut » Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:07 am

kidnicky wrote:Isn't Banno's day job filmmaking?

I don't know what his day job his. His resume posted on the godzilla3d site shows more recent work than what's on IMDb (which shows only a couple TV shows since his work on G vs. Hedorah) which could be an oversite on IMDb's part. But it sounds like his work in the 1980s was mostly producing in-house type shorts or amusement park attractions, which IMDb may not be interested in.

Either way, even by his own resume he hasn't produced or directed anything for TV or theaters since 1979 and hasn't produced anything except a children's song CD-Rom since 1991.

I'm not attacking the guy, the above is from his own resume on the site.
Glow-nut
Godzilla Jr.

Postby MouthForWar » Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:08 am

I still think Godzilla vs. the Smog Monster rules. Tanaka didn't like it because it was so much different, not because it was a bad film. In fact, Banno was never fired from Toho, he just wasn't allowed to do another Godzilla because his vision was different from what Tanaka wanted. There was never any "bad blood," Banno cleared all this up at G-Fest.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby Goji66 » Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:44 pm

MouthForWar wrote:Godzilla in general, is corny (which IS a good thing), deal with it.

Sorry, but that's a load of crap. A serious Godzilla film can be taken seriously. Any sci-fi that gets treated with respect can find a respectful audience. It's all about the approach.

Banno's vision of Godzilla is corny, but Honda's wasn't. As for G's Showa goofiness, that was Tsuburaya's fault - Honda hated the boulder tossing and shie dancing nonsense, and should have put his foot down against it.
Goji66

Postby walshbeme » Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:35 pm

^^Are you saying any G film other than the original wasn't treated with respect? Sorry, that just doesn't fit well with me. I don't think it was ever the intent of Tsuburaya or Banno (or even Fukuda) to disrespect Godzilla or the audience. Godzilla has always appealed to young people and they all recognized this, even Honda.
walshbeme

Next

Return to Shin Godzilla and Beyond!