Am I the only one worried about the IMax Godzilla movie?

Discussion on Shin Godzilla and rumors, news, and speculation on other possible future Godzilla projects, including the Godzilla Anime project! Discuss them here!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby autobutz » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:20 pm

All I can add to this is that they've already tried to bring Godzilla to an American audience in a big budget action movie that they thought "Americans would want to see" and look how that turned out. It was widely criticized by the non Godzilla-fan American public as being worse than the "campy", low budget Japanese films (and fans downright loathed it). I watched a lot of late night television (Letterman, Conan, etc.) around the time that GINO was out, and it was frequently the butt of jokes about how bad it was and how the "men-in-rubber-suits" Japanese flicks were more entertaining.
I say let Banno do somehing creative with it- this film is only being shown to a relatively limited audience so who cares if it has this alleged mass-market appeal? If it ends up sucking, most of us fans probably won't get a chance to see it anyways.
autobutz
Godzillasaurus

Postby ghostrider » Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:50 pm

For what it's worth, global warming is and will continue to be a concern for some. If that's part of the storyline, it would work for me.
ghostrider
Godzilla Egg

Postby AnguirusAnguirus » Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:28 pm

I'm not nervous at all, Mr. Banno's made a G film before, I bet he knows exactly how he wants to do this one.
AnguirusAnguirus

Postby anguirus23 » Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:38 pm

Mr. Banno's made a G film before

That's why some are nervous. :wink:
anguirus23

Postby AnguirusAnguirus » Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:43 pm

anguirus23 wrote:

Well, yeah that's true. Hedorah is definitely one of the more........uh......loved and hated films, know what I mean. :?
AnguirusAnguirus

Postby GiganGoji » Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:13 pm

The IMAX out at OMSI in Portland has shown mostly educational stuff ("Beavers", something about T-Rex, something about the Titanic, a space one, a thing about race cars, rhinos, etc), but they've also showed Episode 2, and they're showing a Harry Potter one.
GiganGoji
Heisei Godzilla

Postby bunnyhero » Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:21 am

actually, i AM worried about this movie... i'm worried it won't get made!
bunnyhero
Godzilla

Postby KingCaesar » Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:14 pm

Well actually I am not to fond of the story. Sure I like the fact that some of it is in New York and not in Japan for once. Though I do not like the story to much, there are a lot of things that are unnecessary or childish.

Ummm, the father of the kid was someone who died in 9/11? The monster tries to destroy the 9/11 memorial? Kids pray and Godzilla wakes up from the prayers? Sorry, a lot of this is kind of unecessary if Banno is trying to send a message about the enviornment.

Also one reason people liked Godzilla vs Hedorah was because it was a little bit more mature than many of the previous films, but it looks like Banno is not going in that direction and aiming for a child audience.

So I too am one of those who is worrying about the IMax Godzilla movie.
KingCaesar
Baby Godzilla

Postby Danny B » Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:24 am

anguirus23 wrote:

Correct!

KingCaesar wrote:... Though I do not like the story to much, there are a lot of things that are unnecessary or childish.

Ummm, the father of the kid was someone who died in 9/11? The monster tries to destroy the 9/11 memorial? Kids pray and Godzilla wakes up from the prayers? Sorry, a lot of this is kind of unecessary if Banno is trying to send a message about the enviornment.

So I too am one of those who is worrying about the IMax Godzilla movie.

Sounds like plot elements worthy of a Showa Gamera flick.
Danny B

Postby Glow-nut » Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:26 pm

KingCaesar wrote:So I too am one of those who is worrying about the IMax Godzilla movie.

It's way too early to be worried. The film isn't even funded yet. It's an insanely risky venture in its current form so I doubt anything more will happen unless the story changes to allow the production costs drop dramatically.
Glow-nut
Godzilla Jr.

Postby Danny B » Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:38 pm

^Good point. If we as mere fans can see the risk in this project I'm sure the "insiders" who'll be putting up the cash will be able to see it as well.
Danny B

Previous

Return to Shin Godzilla and Beyond!