Full IMAX Godzilla Info Direct From The Filmmakers

Discussion on Shin Godzilla and rumors, news, and speculation on other possible future Godzilla projects, including the Godzilla Anime project! Discuss them here!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby Kaiju Nexus » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:47 pm

walshbeme wrote:
Kaiju Nexus wrote:?

I'm guessing your referencing the 9/11 comments, right? Though I don't quite understand what you wrote. "Get over it. I have." ?

Anyway, my point is that it's tacky and stupid, like so many other entertainment references to national/world news disasters and such of recent years.

And as for the person who said it's like WW2, it's most definitely not. World War two was a decade-long manslaughter. Not to deminish the horrible events of 9/11, what occured on that day can hardly be compared to a world war that nearly directly effected every person in the world. But that's not even the point. Banno is only including that type of reference for two reasons; international appeal, and a desparate grasp at a sympathetic character. Sad.
You don't get it, do you? Godzilla is and has always been a "sign of the times". That's why he's so easy to "fit in". A product of the time when he was born had to do with the nuclear threat. There are two issues here. 1) the environment. 2) terrorism. In the 50's, the greatest worldwide concern was nuclear war. So, you tell me what are the greatest concerns today. That's how and why Godzilla fits in. It's not that silly when you really think about it.

No, I don't think YOU get it. Godzilla may well be a sign of the times, but he's always been subtle about it, with a few exceptions.

You see, I wouldn't be complaining if, say, terrorists were the cause of Deathla's reign of destruction. That's a more than subtle nod at "the times".

Having the main child character's father be a fallen 9/11 hero is really just too much. And it also sounds like children in NYC pray that Godzilla saves the 9/11 monument, reviving him, thusly allowing him to keep Deathla from destroying the structure?! There's a difference between being fun/not serious and being blatantly stupid. Banno's crossing over into the latter.

I mean, there's two giant monsters in New York! I think more people are gonna die in that instance than 9/11. But no, let's protect the special monument, ignoring the rest of the carnage. Unrealistic? Try nonsensical.

If you can't see how Banno throwing in 9/11 references into a 40 minute IMAX 3-D Godzilla movie isn't ridiculously disgusting and nothing more than a cry for attention to his film, then there's something wrong with you.

"Because, if we didn't debate over silly nonsense, we wouldn't be fans. :) "

- pocketmego
Kaiju Nexus
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Glow-nut » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:49 pm

walshbeme wrote:Somebody's making money on Godzilla's shoulders.

Who do you think it is? Not Toho, or they'd still be interested in producing Godzilla movies. Not Bandai, or they wouldn't have cancelled the GFW toy line. Presumably Sony is making a little bit, but certainly not anything significant to their overall revenues.
Glow-nut
Godzilla Jr.

Postby jkrouskop » Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:01 am

Kaiju Nexus wrote:
walshbeme wrote:

I'm guessing your referencing the 9/11 comments, right? Though I don't quite understand what you wrote. "Get over it. I have." ?

Anyway, my point is that it's tacky and stupid, like so many other entertainment references to national/world news disasters and such of recent years.

And as for the person who said it's like WW2, it's most definitely not. World War two was a decade-long manslaughter. Not to deminish the horrible events of 9/11, what occured on that day can hardly be compared to a world war that nearly directly effected every person in the world. But that's not even the point. Banno is only including that type of reference for two reasons; international appeal, and a desparate grasp at a sympathetic character. Sad.
You don't get it, do you? Godzilla is and has always been a "sign of the times". That's why he's so easy to "fit in". A product of the time when he was born had to do with the nuclear threat. There are two issues here. 1) the environment. 2) terrorism. In the 50's, the greatest worldwide concern was nuclear war. So, you tell me what are the greatest concerns today. That's how and why Godzilla fits in. It's not that silly when you really think about it.

No, I don't think YOU get it. Godzilla may well be a sign of the times, but he's always been subtle about it, with a few exceptions.

You see, I wouldn't be complaining if, say, terrorists were the cause of Deathla's reign of destruction. That's a more than subtle nod at "the times".

Having the main child character's father be a fallen 9/11 hero is really just too much. And it also sounds like children in NYC pray that Godzilla saves the 9/11 monument, reviving him, thusly allowing him to keep Deathla from destroying the structure?! There's a difference between being fun/not serious and being blatantly stupid. Banno's crossing over into the latter.

I mean, there's two giant monsters in New York! I think more people are gonna die in that instance than 9/11. But no, let's protect the special monument, ignoring the rest of the carnage. Unrealistic? Try nonsensical.

If you can't see how Banno throwing in 9/11 references into a 40 minute IMAX 3-D Godzilla movie isn't ridiculously disgusting and nothing more than a cry for attention to his film, then there's something wrong with you.

Good thing all of this irrelevant anyway, eh?
jkrouskop

Postby Kaiju Nexus » Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:06 am

jkrouskop wrote:
Kaiju Nexus wrote:
walshbeme wrote:

Good thing all of this irrelevant anyway, eh?

No doubt! :th-up:

"Because, if we didn't debate over silly nonsense, we wouldn't be fans. :) "

- pocketmego
Kaiju Nexus
Heisei Godzilla

Postby jkrouskop » Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:13 am

Glow-nut wrote:

Who do you think it is? Not Toho, or they'd still be interested in producing Godzilla movies. Not Bandai, or they wouldn't have cancelled the GFW toy line. Presumably Sony is making a little bit, but certainly not anything significant to their overall revenues.

Since when does a profit on a single endeavor have to be a "significant" part of a company's "overall revenues"? Sony is an ENORMOUS corporation which generates the vast majority of its revenues from areas other than their home video distribution arm. Within that very small area of their business, there are a great many individual lines and franchises which each contribute only a small portion of the overall home video take, and a miniscule portion of the income from the entire entertainment division. The point is not how big a percentage of the overall revenues the Godzilla videos are bringing in; the point is that they are making a profit - something a highly specialized line of videos could not do if they did not have some appeal to a relatively broad range of American consumers.

As I said - and as someone who presents themselves as so in touch with the fiscal realities of the film business should know - if they weren't making money for Sony, Sony would never touch them. Companies do not continue to purchase and distribute a product over a period of several years if that product is not generating profits.
jkrouskop

Postby walshbeme » Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:17 am

Kaiju Nexus wrote:
walshbeme wrote:

If it's a cry, it's not for the film. The cry, my friend, is attention to our greatest fears. I don't know if you've been watching the news lately, but we're in serious trouble. Mr. Banno used Godzilla in 1971 to send a very important message to Japan and the world. The same was done in 1954. Now, there's a new message. The environment is dying and people are killing by the masses as it was during both word wars and the unconventional means used by terrorists. There is a message here as there was in 1954. The message is very clear. Godzilla is the messenger.
walshbeme

Postby walshbeme » Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:25 am

Glow-nut wrote:

Sony is making enough to continue. Toho is not. Certainly, somebody's making enough bucks.
walshbeme

Postby Glow-nut » Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:30 am

walshbeme wrote:
Glow-nut wrote:

Sony is making enough to continue. Toho is not. Certainly, somebody's making enough bucks.

Enough to continue marketing DVDs to the home market, but nobody is making enough on Godzilla to justify a new film, especially one where the movie will have to earn six times the investment input just so the investors break even. That's just crazy.
Glow-nut
Godzilla Jr.

Postby walshbeme » Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:42 am

Glow-nut wrote:
walshbeme wrote:
Glow-nut wrote:

Enough to continue marketing DVDs to the home market, but nobody is making enough on Godzilla to justify a new film, especially one where the movie will have to earn six times the investment input just so the investors break even. That's just crazy.
Has it occurred to you that EVERY film is a "gamble"? Some win and some lose. Don't forget, Godzilla is still here after 50 years. He, he! Naysayers. You gotta love'em.
walshbeme

Postby Glow-nut » Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:43 am

jkrouskop wrote:The point is not how big a percentage of the overall revenues the Godzilla videos are bringing in; the point is that they are making a profit - something a highly specialized line of videos could not do if they did not have some appeal to a relatively broad range of American consumers.

Okay, I'll grant you that maybe I shouldn't have said Godzilla doesn't have 'broad' appeal. It's vague. I'll make the point this way: Godzilla has sufficient appeal within the US to justify the relatively small expense involved in releasing existing movies to the home DVD market. He does not have sufficient appeal, either in the US or Japan, to expect that a new movie will be so successful that it will be in the all-time top 10 movies in its format (IMAX) or that it will generate 6 times the investment income (which is what would be necessary for the investors to simply break even).
Glow-nut
Godzilla Jr.

Postby Glow-nut » Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:46 am

walshbeme wrote:Has it occurred to you that EVERY film is a "gamble"? Some win and some lose. Don't forget, Godzilla is still here after 50 years. He, he! Naysayers. You gotta love'em.

Very few films are this risky. Even big hollywood flops eventually make their money back with the combination of overseas revenue and home video sales (although it might take time for that to happen). That's because most movies only require making about 2 times their investment expense in order to break even ... this one requires 6 times the return, in a market where only a very small number of movies have ever done so well.
Glow-nut
Godzilla Jr.

Postby GodzillaKOTM » Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:46 am

You would have to be crazy to invest $$ in a ridiculous POS like this. It is someone's retelling of Godzila v Hedorah. A movie that was already bad. Now some one is retelling a bad movie.

"she" um yeah ok. There is a reason why he is called "king"

Deathla? It is hedorah renamed!! Where is the originality? Is toho stupid?

Right after the abysmal Godzilla Final Wars they allow this?

Godzilla is not a "world hero" but an anti war symbol. The original Godzilla was a statement against the atomic bomb, plain and simple.

"I hope you will join me in supporting this project"

Um no. Find something else to do with your spare time.
Ths will be the real lowpoint for toho.
"34 years have past since I directed "Godzilla vs. Hedorah"in 1971."
There was a reason you were REFUSED from making a sequel. Has toho forgotten? Are they that stupid? With Gamera and Ultraman movies coming out(theater/DVD)
Toho really needs to give Godzilla peace for a few years until fresh ideas flourish once again.
Doesn't it dawn on anyone why Toho isn't funnelling $$$ for this???
Because it is pure crap. My 4 year old niece could do a better job than this.
If anyone thinks this will help Godzilla, you are in for a surprise.
My heart just sunk seeing this abomination.
With Jackson's King Kong coming out, this will get a big HUH? What are they thinking???
GodzillaKOTM
Godzilla Jr.

Postby Glow-nut » Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:58 am

GodzillaKOTM wrote:Deathla? It is hedorah renamed!! Where is the originality? Is toho stupid?

Right after the abysmal Godzilla Final Wars they allow this?

Although I'm not crazy about this idea, I don't think Toho is "stupid" for allowing Banno to pursue this.

For one thing, there seems to be very little risk for them. They aren't spending any of their own resources (either money or time) on the production, and the rental system in Japan (as described on the godzilla3d site) seems pretty inexpensive (by comparison to IMAX costs outside Japan).

For another, as you point out GFW was a failure so this movie can hardly hurt Godzilla's image. If it's terrible, they will just say that it isn't an "official" Godzilla movie. If it's good, they might get some additional home video and merchandising dollars out of it.
Glow-nut
Godzilla Jr.

Postby Robert Saint John » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:52 am

Wow, it took nearly 7 months before people started getting worried about GFW. Now it takes less than 7 days! PROGRESS!!!! :lol:
Robert - Cleveland, OH
(formerly mechascorpio)
Robert Saint John
Burning Godzilla

Postby Aaron Smith » Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:00 am

What a bunch of cry babies. I heard the same freaking windbag responses toward GFW. Good for Banno if he gets to do it, I loved Hedorah as do many others.

For the rest of ya

:x :)
Aaron Smith
Monster Zero - Our Founder

Postby kidnicky » Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:17 am

monsterzero wrote:What a bunch of cry babies. I heard the same freaking windbag responses toward GFW. Good for Banno if he gets to do it, I loved Hedorah as do many others.

For the rest of ya

ROTFL

G Vs. The Smog Monster is awesome!!! I for one will be glad if this gets off the ground.
Twitter rxchrisg
kidnicky
Burning Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:51 am

I like how everyone is going haywire because of a movie that very easily may never be made and doesn't have a single frame of it even FILMED. Chill out. How come every time someone tries something different, people complain, but when the movies are the same, people STLL complain. There's no satisfying you guys. Be glad that there might be something on the way that features Godzilla. And if you dont think you'll like it, don't see it. And if you do see it and still don't like it, don't see it again. Its not hard.

Besides, this isn't even part of the Godzilla series, nor is it a Toho production. Its a fan film, let them do what they want.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby jkrouskop » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:28 am

monsterzero wrote:What a bunch of cry babies. I heard the same freaking windbag responses toward GFW. Good for Banno if he gets to do it, I loved Hedorah as do many others.

For the rest of ya

Well said, Aaron!
jkrouskop

Postby GodzillaKOTM » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:01 pm

For the rest of ya

Dude, I LOVED GFW, I said it was going to be great. It had abysmal ratings. I thought that it is an underrated movie, but this 3d thing is a social abomination. It is totally different. Toho should focus all their efforts in a new movie(obviously a good couple of yrs away) to give life back to the franchise because since GMK the other movies have not raked in huge $$$ and GFW did not have the effect toho wanted.
They are letting this idiot do to Godzilla what devlin and emmerich did.
This movie I remember you stating you were boycotting. Now you are ok with a guy doing the thing tristar did.

It represents one(of many) reasons why hollywood is in a slump.
No vision, imagination, innovation and no freakin' clue how to write a story and grip an audience.
We will see how far this tripe goes. It will be another catwoman/batman and robin/godzilla 98/hulk.
Only bored die hard fans like you would pay to see this.
With another "kaiju" movie coming out(King Kong), this is certainly NOT the way to breath life into a dying franchise. Hence the "stupid" before toho in my previous posts.
GodzillaKOTM
Godzilla Jr.

Postby lhb412 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:15 pm

The way I see it this really isn't a Godzilla film. It's just a fun excuse to get Godzilla on the IMAX scene in....

3D!!!!

If not BOC's Godzilla song then what about Save the Earth!?
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Robert Saint John » Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:10 pm

MouthForWar wrote:I like how everyone is going haywire because of a movie that very easily may never be made and doesn't have a single frame of it even FILMED. Chill out. How come every time someone tries something different, people complain, but when the movies are the same, people STLL complain. There's no satisfying you guys.

Erm, didn't you just post these words three days ago?

After seeing Banno talk about this at G-Fest, I honestly just think he's gone insane.

Also, when he went through the whole story during his Q&A, it really didn't sound like it'd be a good film. (SPOILER?) Like Godzilla getting the inspiration to beat Deathra by looking at the 9/11 monument while Deathra is killing him during the fight in New York was pretty lame sounding, as well as well.... the whole plot.

To me, the only thing that sounds good about this project is the chance to see kaiju on an IMAX screen.

Careful where you point that finger! :wink:
Robert - Cleveland, OH
(formerly mechascorpio)
Robert Saint John
Burning Godzilla

Postby anguirus23 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:44 pm

CyHunter wrote:Anyone remember the "Kaiju Continuous Fights" devised on these very boards a few years ago? "Deathla" reminds me a lot of our Franeknsteinian "Death Ghidorah" creation, especially the skeletal elements.

Hey, yeah!

B. Children's prayers revive Godzilla? Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. WTF, Banno, WTF?

Someone must not have liked Gamera 2...

In all seriousness, I think the naysayers have good points. As a film, this is sounding like crap. But IMAX, for good or ill, is really a market for spectacle. T-Rex was pretty fun in that format, even though I found it quite silly in terms of plot, character, etc. In that vein, I'm sure I'd enjoy this film, if only to speculate on how the quality of Banno's drugs compares with those he used 34 years ago. :wink:
anguirus23

Postby MouthForWar » Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:02 pm

mechascorpio wrote:
MouthForWar wrote:I like how everyone is going haywire because of a movie that very easily may never be made and doesn't have a single frame of it even FILMED. Chill out. How come every time someone tries something different, people complain, but when the movies are the same, people STLL complain. There's no satisfying you guys.

Erm, didn't you just post these words three days ago?

After seeing Banno talk about this at G-Fest, I honestly just think he's gone insane.

Also, when he went through the whole story during his Q&A, it really didn't sound like it'd be a good film. (SPOILER?) Like Godzilla getting the inspiration to beat Deathra by looking at the 9/11 monument while Deathra is killing him during the fight in New York was pretty lame sounding, as well as well.... the whole plot.

To me, the only thing that sounds good about this project is the chance to see kaiju on an IMAX screen.

Careful where you point that finger! :wink:

Those posts are kind of unrelated. The old post was right when I got back and I was trying to shed light on the movie and show the probablility that it could very easily just be the rantings of a madman and his pitch isn't very good. The other post was telling everyone to calm down and quit complaining about everything from monster genders to kids praying to Godzilla flying in the 70s.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby Aaron Smith » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:04 pm

GodzillaKOTM wrote:
monsterzero wrote:

We will see how far this tripe goes. It will be another catwoman/batman and robin/godzilla 98/hulk.
Only bored die hard fans like you would pay to see this.

Yawn, you don't know me.

And Hulk is under rated. :)
Last edited by Aaron Smith on Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aaron Smith
Monster Zero - Our Founder

Postby anguirus23 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:06 pm

Anyone who posts on this board has no business calling anyone else a "bored diehard fan" as if it is something they are not.
anguirus23

PreviousNext

Return to Shin Godzilla and Beyond!