Godzilla 3D to the Max (July 05 onward )

Discussion on Shin Godzilla and rumors, news, and speculation on other possible future Godzilla projects, including the Godzilla Anime project! Discuss them here!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby Danny B » Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:30 pm

Yeah the "talkbackers" are the most venomous people I've ever seen on the internet. They have to rag on everything and drag everyone down with them. There's never anything said that could be considered constructive. It's all just insults and bashing.

Anyway...

Got a question for kpa:
When you guys put your synopsis for GODZILLA TO THE MAX on your HenshinOnline website you removed all references to Godzilla being a female. What gives? Does this mean that your stance on the female Godzilla issue is that it could be attributed to a poor translation?
Danny B

Postby walshbeme » Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:19 pm

It seems pretty obvious that the translation has it's faults. What worries me is that there seems to be no confusion on the matter.
walshbeme

Postby edgodzi » Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:41 pm

danbag302 wrote:Got a question for kpa:
When you guys put your synopsis for GODZILLA TO THE MAX on your HenshinOnline website you removed all references to Godzilla being a female. What gives? Does this mean that your stance on the female Godzilla issue is that it could be attributed to a poor translation?

I don't think the indication of Godzilla as possibly being female, as far as this project is concerned, is worth worrying about. Myself, I would chalk it up to preference of the translator. I deal with Japanese people who are speaking English on a daily basis at my job, and they regularly mix up 'he' and 'she' in conversation. It would also be interesting to note that when Banno was talking about Godzilla at dinner on the Thursday before G-Fest, he referred to Godzilla a couple times as 'he'. I personally think this is much ado about nothing.

The fact is that right now, there is no money for the film, so it is just a proposal, despite the number of people who are willing to work on it. Mr. Banno and his assistant were very hopeful of getting investors, and their latest business proposal is a huge improvement over what I saw a few years ago when this first came up. At that time they touted the fact that GvsSmog was named one of the 50 Worst films of all time...not the best way to sell the project.

Anyway, Toho has merely granted an option to use the characters for this project. As Mr. Banno told us, Toho has NOT changed their idea that they will not do another Godzilla, at least in the traditional way. He received the option because the project involves presenting Godzilla in a completely new way, different than anything they have done before. Toho is not investing in the film, but I believe that they will still have something to say about it if it ever happens.

While I believe that Hedorah has great potential as a character, especially with today's advancements in CG, and seeing Godzilla in 3D would be impressive, I doubt this film will ever happen...simply because of money. If the budget is $9 million (up from the original $6.5), that means that they have to take in a bit more than Godzilla 2000 did theatrically in the US to just break even (you have to make more than the budget to cover prints and promotion, at least 50%). G2000 did its $12 million take on something like 1800 screens (if I recall correctly), while Imax screens are limited to just a handful around the US. I just do not see where the money will come from, especially for a 40 minute film. Imax is also not a 'must-see' format with the general public, at least not yet (although the 3D version of Star Wars now being worked on could change that some day). As a potential investor, I would not be looking for break even...if that's all it could do, then you are better off putting your money in a savings account. I may be wrong and I wish the producers luck, but this is why I believe the film won't be finding a backer any time soon.

Ed G.
"If a boring person finds something boring, that is probably proof that it is interesting." - Akira Kurosawa
edgodzi
Little Godzilla

Postby kidnicky » Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:35 pm

^ The only two things I might disagree with you on-
1. Promotion. You never see commercials and stuff for IMAX films,at least I never do.
Maybe a couple magazine ads,or ads in the local paper,but that's about it. It wouldn't cost as much to promote as,say,"War of the Worlds."

2. People have invested in dumber things before. Sure you and I realise any investors will only break even in a best-case scenario,but there's a lot of not-so-bright people out there,some with money to burn.

I do hope it gets made,as it sounds like something I would personally really like,but movies aren't made for me and me alone. If that was the case,the Showa Godzilla series would still be going on! :)
Twitter rxchrisg
kidnicky
Burning Godzilla

Postby Danny B » Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:00 pm

edgodzi wrote:I don't think the indication of Godzilla as possibly being female, as far as this project is concerned, is worth worrying about. Myself, I would chalk it up to preference of the translator. ...Japanese people who are speaking English on a daily basis at my job...regularly mix up 'he' and 'she' in conversation. It would also be interesting to note that when Banno was talking about Godzilla at dinner on the Thursday before G-Fest, he referred to Godzilla a couple times as 'he'. I personally think this is much ado about nothing.

That is reassuring. I know it may seem sexist to some, but Godzilla has always been referred to as a he and that's how it should remain.

edgodzi wrote:...I doubt this film will ever happen...simply because of money. If the budget is $9 million (up from the original $6.5), that means that they have to take in a bit more than Godzilla 2000 did theatrically in the US to just break even (you have to make more than the budget to cover prints and promotion, at least 50%). G2000 did its $12 million take on something like 1800 screens (if I recall correctly), while Imax screens are limited to just a handful around the US. I just do not see where the money will come from, especially for a 40 minute film.Ed G.

I don't think it'll happen either. The figures you quoted above don't lie.
Danny B

Previous

Return to Shin Godzilla and Beyond!