Godzilla vs. Hedora IMAX Topic (August 04 - July 05)

Discussion on Shin Godzilla and rumors, news, and speculation on other possible future Godzilla projects, including the Godzilla Anime project! Discuss them here!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby Kaiju Nexus » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:45 pm

I hope Banno fails.

All CGI Godzilla = crap.

Flying Godzilla (it was ok in the crazy 70's, but...) = crap

No Hedorah = crap.

Banno's gone senial in his old age...

"Because, if we didn't debate over silly nonsense, we wouldn't be fans. :) "

- pocketmego
Kaiju Nexus
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Bladefist » Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:39 pm

Master Fwiffo wrote:Locusts?

RANMA INAGOS!

(Am I the only one who has that comic?)

Hey, if they're using Inagos, why not the Rodan ripoff too?
Bladefist
Little Godzilla

Postby MechaMothra » Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:41 pm

all right people I was there for his speech, and I think the Deathla's are a new type of Hedorah... but instead of feeding off smog and etc., they now attack clean natural things like Rain Forests and such... thats just what I think :D
MechaMothra
Godzillasaurus

Postby china » Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:12 pm

Sounds interesting but I'm not too sure about some of these idea's. Godzilla flying was a bad idea the first time. Why would he want to do that again? Of course I guess this is not a "real" Godzilla movie so he might as well have fun with it!

What else has banno done? Did he direct anything else between now and back when Smog Monster was made?
china

Postby Danny B » Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:15 pm

I'm very excited to see this new CG Imax Godzilla. I don't care if he flies or not...I can't wait to see Godzilla on a huge Imax screen!
Danny B

Postby SparkieGojira » Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:16 pm

Apparently he has 18 Imax films to his name in recent years (Owns his own Imax film production company).Can KPA or Amrmad or so one flesh out the details on his Imax carreer?
SparkieGojira

Postby china » Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:22 pm

cool!!! that should help his get some funding! :)
china

Postby planetxleader » Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:01 pm

I wonder if Toho will consider this the official 29th G-film? I'm pretty excited; never before has a Showa director come back to do a present-day Godzilla film. Plus, Banno delivered one of the most unique and weirdest Godzilla movies of all time. And I gotta say, he's showing more guts and originality in his planning of this movie than Toho has recently. A CGI Godzilla may not be as good as a suitmation Godzilla, but you gotta give him credit for trying.

Okay, I'll admit, I really don't like the idea of Godzilla being 100% CG, but having him fly again, having him fight in the jungle and in New York, having an entirely original kaiju, and having the whole movie filmed in IMAX is very exciting and refreshing.
"Vishnu takes on his multi-armed form, and says, "RAAAAAHHHOOO!!!'"
planetxleader
Heisei Godzilla

Postby briizilla » Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:16 pm

Kaiju Nexus wrote:I hope Banno fails.

All CGI Godzilla = crap.

No Hedorah = crap.

Hey way to be open minded.

Locusts?

RANMA INAGOS!

(Am I the only one who has that comic?)

Nope. :wink:
~Brian~

briizilla
Burning Godzilla

Postby walshbeme » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:42 pm

china wrote:Of course I guess this is not a "real" Godzilla movie so he might as well have fun with it!
If this film makes it to the REAL big screen (IMAX), that's about as real as it gets considering no others have gotten wide theatrical releases since G2000. It sounds like this "not so real" Godzilla film is poised to be quite promising. If the budget quote of 10 mil is correct, Banno's spending a pretty good chunk of change for a 45 minute film.
walshbeme

Postby Kaiju Nexus » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:50 pm

briizilla wrote:
Kaiju Nexus wrote:I hope Banno fails.

All CGI Godzilla = crap.

No Hedorah = crap.

Hey way to be open minded.

Okay, I'll admit, "flying goji" isn't exactly my cup of tea, but it's entirely tolerable and perhaps even a bit intriguing. As for the absense of Hedorah, at least Deathla sounds interesting.

But as for an all-CG goji...ugh...just....ugh...

"Because, if we didn't debate over silly nonsense, we wouldn't be fans. :) "

- pocketmego
Kaiju Nexus
Heisei Godzilla

Postby kamacuras » Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:02 am

UltraGodzillaX wrote:I heard from Tokyo Monsters Forum that this one member attended to Banno's speech, and this is what he gave us...

1. Godzilla's in CGI. No, he will not be GINO, he will still be the Japanese Godzilla, but just in full CGI.

I read that too, but if I remember correctly, he just said that Godzilla was gonna be 3-D. He never said anything about him being full CGI.
Save the planet. Go green.
kamacuras
Little Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:23 am

After seeing Banno talk about this at G-Fest, I honestly just think he's gone insane. He's the only person that's mentioned making this movie, and he doesn't even have any funding for it, he just had permission to make it if he could make $10 mill, which he said he would be "trying" to get if he can convince the Toho people in LA to give it to him. I don't even think hes pitched the idea to any of the head honchos yet. I honestly don't think this is gonna be made. At G-Fest, Ishii-san who works at Toho didn't even say anything about it, nor hear any big plans to make it, he just talked about the Tidal Wave remake they are doing. It seems like Banno just has a dream project that he isn't gonna be able to do. Also, when he went through the whole story during his Q&A, it really didn't sound like it'd be a good film. (SPOILER?) Like Godzilla getting the inspiration to beat Deathra by looking at the 9/11 monument while Deathra is killing him during the fight in New York was pretty lame sounding, as well as well.... the whole plot. The plot was like Godzilla vs. Hedorah and Mothra 96 combined with a weird showdown in South America (which he FLIES to)). Besides, if its an IMAX movie, chances are it will never be out on DVD or anything and we won't be able to see it. I really don't see his pitch for this film going very well at all.

And no, nobody said anything about Godzilla being fully CGI, but he DID say he wanted him to fly again. To me, the only thing that sounds good about this project is the chance to see kaiju on an IMAX screen. I love GvsH and I thought Banno did a brilliant job on that movie, but this one really doesn't seem um... good... and the chances of it being made aren't realistic to me. But maybe I'm just skeptical.

And as for Banno's IMAX career, he has put out some popular IMAX documentaries in Japan about whales and things of that nature. Nothing too different from the IMAX documentaries we see over here.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby TitanoGoji16 » Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:48 am

MouthForWar wrote:(SPOILER?) Like Godzilla getting the inspiration to beat Deathra by looking at the 9/11 monument while Deathra is killing him during the fight in New York

:shock:

Uhm... yeah...
TitanoGoji16
Godzilla

Postby jrichreturns » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:28 am

Ummm there are IMAX films that do get put out on DVD, alot really, and they are usually in specality sections of your local Suncoast or On Cue.
-SEIG ZEON!
jrichreturns
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Brick Side » Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:28 pm

Now, I know I just said in the Final Wars review thread that I basically enjoy it when directors take the series in a different direction, but judging from some of the things i'm reading here....I'm not very excited about this new film. Another insect? Godzilla flying? Godzilla possibly being all in CGI? This all sounds more like a GINO follow-up if anything. Of course i'll hold any final judgements until the end product, but I don't think i've ever cared less about a Godzilla film being made.
-Mike
Brick Side
Burning Godzilla

Postby canofhumdingers » Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:10 pm

i was there for the speech at G-fest & i think it sounds great. I hope it gets made. He never said Goji would be all cgi.

****Spoiler****

The whole "goji sees 9/11 monument, gets inspired to beat deathra" thing sounded corny, but not any cornier than anything in GFW (which was entertaining once, but had LOTS of room for improvement).

***end spoilers***

I'm sure it won't be perfect, but it's at least fresh feeling, which is hard to say about Godzilla films in the last few years.
canofhumdingers
Burning Godzilla

Postby Bladefist » Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:54 pm

God, they just won't give it up, will they...if that bit is true, then I'm just never gonna see this movie out of principle.
Bladefist
Little Godzilla

Postby Mexigojira » Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:40 pm

¿why people complain when godzilla movies became all the same, but when there's going to be someting diferent, they began to say its going to suck? I just dont get people. I preffer to keep an open mind about the movie
"There are 4 things that I've learned to dont discuss, because they end with people killing each other: Religion, politics, sports, and logic on anime and kaiju movies"

Anibal
Mexigojira
Heisei Godzilla

Postby CyHunter » Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:06 pm

Mexigojira wrote:¿why people complain when godzilla movies became all the same, but when there's going to be someting diferent, they began to say its going to suck? I just dont get people. I preffer to keep an open mind about the movie

Sir, you get two stars for that. ** :D
CyHunter
Burning Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:27 pm

Hrmm...I unfortunately missed the panel at G-Fest, I was at the collectibles one. However, all of this info sounds neat. I agree with mexigojira...different seems pretty good. I mean do any of you know for sure it's wrong to do this or that.....and how would we know what would work if we didn't try. I wish Hedorah would be in the film, after his brief appearence in Final Wars...but it's neat to see that a new kaiju may be in the works.

The fact that it's IMAX both intruigues(mispelled I know), and depresses me. It's neat that we'll see kaiju beating the crap out of eachother on IMAX, but this also greatly hurts the chances of it being released over here....well that's all I have to say.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby ryuuseipro » Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:56 pm

UltraGodzillaX wrote:I heard from Tokyo Monsters Forum that this one member attended to Banno's speech, and this is what he gave us...

1. Godzilla's in CGI. No, he will not be GINO, he will still be the Japanese Godzilla, but just in full CGI.

Thank you!!! If they're going to do Godzilla in CGI, that's all I wanted in the first place! G:DAMM proves it can be done.

IN YOUR FACE, DEVLIN & EMMERICH!!! :D

2. A new monster called "Desera", so I guess it's not called "Deathla" after all. It appears that it starts out as swarms of Locusts that ravage the rainforest, but during the battle with Godzilla in New York, they transform into a giant monster.

Desera sounds like a funny name, but I can take it. After all, it's not like Destoroyah sounded any better. :)

And it looks like Godzilla in New York, take 2! This time, hopefully, done right.
-John Cassidy
Richmond, VA
http://ryuuseipro.livejournal.com/

"The monster a child knows best and is most concerned with [is] the monster he feels or fears himself to be." -Bruno Bettelheim
ryuuseipro
Heisei Godzilla

Postby UltraGodzillaX » Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:02 pm

Mexigojira wrote:¿why people complain when godzilla movies became all the same, but when there's going to be someting diferent, they began to say its going to suck? I just dont get people. I preffer to keep an open mind about the movie

I agree with you.

I mean, like you said, just because it's different, doesn't mean it will be bad. We all have to try new things.

I have to be honest, we just can't always get what we want.
UltraGodzillaX

Postby Bladefist » Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:15 pm

Everything about the movie sounds just fine, but the bit about the 9/11 memorial...I went to school in lower manhattan, that happened the first week of my freshman year, and the people at my school haven't stopped talking about it since - at my graduation, they called us the "class of 9/11". Frankly, I'm just sick of it.
Bladefist
Little Godzilla

Postby china » Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:38 pm

walshbeme wrote:
china wrote:Of course I guess this is not a "real" Godzilla movie so he might as well have fun with it!
If this film makes it to the REAL big screen (IMAX), that's about as real as it gets considering no others have gotten wide theatrical releases since G2000. It sounds like this "not so real" Godzilla film is poised to be quite promising. If the budget quote of 10 mil is correct, Banno's spending a pretty good chunk of change for a 45 minute film.

Sorry!! When I said REAL I was meaning that it's not Really part of the Japanese Godzilla series. Obviously it is a REAL movie. Just seems like a seperate movie from the main series.

I really do hope this gets made! It sounds more promising that the last few Godzilla movies! :)
china

PreviousNext

Return to Shin Godzilla and Beyond!