Shin Godzilla 2?

Discussion on Shin Godzilla and rumors, news, and speculation on other possible future Godzilla projects, including the Godzilla Anime project! Discuss them here!

Moderator: Controllers

Re: Shin Godzilla 2?

Postby Benjamin Haines » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:07 am

lhb412 wrote:Seeing all these shots from the Shin Godzilla art book of the tail prop with the humanoid Godzillas... and just taking a good long look at that makes me think "how could you continue from that?" I mean, it doesn't strike me as a sequel hook, but as a gonzo exclamation point.

I agree with this. It comes across as being intended as the final note in Shin Godzilla lore, not something that's intended to be expanded upon (as much as I would like to see that).

lhb412 wrote:If you take the logic of the ending forward than it won't be a Godzilla movie, but if you bend over backwards to make it a more traditional Godzilla movie wouldn't that violate the spirit of Shin and its ending? Maybe they could figure out a way, but I'm at a loss.

I can see it being done one of two ways depending on how that ending shot is interpreted. It could depict Godzilla totally transforming himself from a single giant organism into many smaller organisms. This would be different from the form changes Godzilla goes through during the course of Shin Godzilla, which are really just akin to the growth of an amphibian. This kind of transformation is more along the lines of what Hedorah and Destroyer do in their movies, with the smaller monsters shaped quite differently than their giant conglomerate form but still bearing some of the same traits. With that in mind, just as Hedorah and Destroyer are able to shift between forms, why couldn't this new take on Godzilla do the same? A sequel to Shin Godzilla could begin with these humanoid monsters terrorizing Japan but still have them all rejoin into the singular giant Godzilla by the halfway point, and he could utilize this ability to split and reform to dramatic effect throughout the film.

Alternatively, that ending shot could depict Godzilla's body generating new life forms altogether apart from himself. This is my preferred interpretation because it builds on the characters likening Godzilla to a god incarnate, with those humanoid creatures being his body's involuntary creation of new life, and it allows for a sequel that can still feature Godzilla alongside these smaller monsters. Just as G'54 was followed by 'Godzilla vs.' films, they could follow this latest solo story with a new spin on the concept of Godzilla being part of a world of monsters. What if the other monsters that attack humanity and eventually battle Godzilla are actually generated from his own body? It wouldn't have to just be those dorsal-finned humanoids that emerge from his body; it could be all kinds of horrific monstrosities bearing different traits of his. He tramples across Japan and these living tumors sprout from his body left and right, leaving the people who survive Godzilla's rampages to deal with these other kaiju, much like radioactive fallout. The threat that Godzilla poses to humanity would thus be magnified.

A third option would be if that ending shot is meant to depict Godzilla's reproduction. If it's a case of one giant organism dying and giving birth to multiple offspring in the process, that's not self-transformation or a godlike generation of new life forms; that's just an asexual version of plain ol' biological reproduction. If that's the case, then the fact that these humanoid offspring are so different from the parent (Godzilla) that they qualify as an entirely different species would also mean that this is an extreme example of evolution, the change in the genetic structure of a population over time. In this case that population goes from one Godzilla to multiple smaller kaiju that retain some of his traits but are clearly as different from Godzilla as a bald eagle is from a velociraptor. We don't normally see that drastic a change in a population's genetic structure over the course of one single reproductive cycle, but with this take on Godzilla, anything is possible. However, going with this interpretation wouldn't make for a sequel featuring Godzilla but a spinoff featuring these new humanoid creatures. That could be done and it could be really good but it wouldn't be a Godzilla movie.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:12 pm

^ I find your second idea most appealing: Godzilla essentially staying the same from this point on and populating a world of monsters spun off from himself.

There's a tightrope to walk: wanting to play fair by your own rules and the movie's fans, but also keeping it Godzilla.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby daikaijusaurus » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:18 am

Hideaki Anno confirms next Shin Godzilla and Evangelion films
https://www.madman.com.au/news/hideaki-anno-confirms-next-shin-godzilla-and-evangelion-films/

However, if you look down in the comment section, August Ragone chimes in and clears up what may be a misconception on the part of the article.
daikaijusaurus
Godzilla Jr.

Postby lhb412 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:23 pm

The rumor was debunked before I could get taken in by it!
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:25 pm

http://natalie.mu/eiga/pp/shingodzilla_01/page/2
─ What is the concept that made Mr. Kagiuchi transcribed?

It is exhausted as a simple fact that "Mr. Anno takes a new work with a motif of the original Godzilla". Leave everything to Mr. Anano, literally returning from zero to face Godzilla. Toho finally decided that decision itself was the biggest concept. "Shin Godzilla" must surely be the foundation work in order to develop content called Godzilla in a new era. If the foundation of that stone stone supports it, the animated version of Godzilla, which is not a special effects, can also be established satisfactorily. Thinking that way, it was the animation movie "GODZILLA" this time.

The animation version "GODZILLA" is also a theme of human sorrow

── Maybe the demonality and tragicities of such human beings will lead to the style of Mr. Kagiuchi himself?

Yes. There is also a part that undertook the work of animation movie "GODZILLA" this time because there is it. The screenplay of the animated version got me writing just what I thought would resonate on my own.

── What is that "concrete thing" specifically?

I think that there are rarely cases in which people really live and the case where "truly what you should do" and "what you can do" are perfectly meshed. In most cases, one can only choose something without knowing the answer. For example, if you do your best, it is ultimately only a bet whether it will lead to a solution to the situation. Still it is human being that I can not stop doing something. I feel that something like that sadness is becoming one theme even in this anime version.

─ ─ Considering that, the first 'Godzilla' and 'Shin Godzilla' in 1954, and the next animated version 'Godzilla' are connected by one thick line?

I believe so. It is a story that it is only within myself (laugh).

Can you tell us a little bit of sight of the animated version "GODZILLA" at the end?

I can not talk about concrete things yet, but in creating "Shin · Godzilla" there was a actively picked up element that Mr. Amano probably scraped off. I thought that elements of the past Godzilla series that would become an obstacle to establish as a reality image in the present era could be picked up again by animation. After that, I intend to write the essence of "Godzilla, there is Kakushi" on my own.

── Incidentally, the theme common to "Godzilla" and "Shin · Godzilla" - how is the philosophy of drawing Godzilla's crushing side firmly from Godzilla inherited in the animated version?

How about that? That's fun to watch (laugh). Just to the contrary, I think that monster movies are exhausted as a part of "How to get over it." A superhuman hero fly away and does not rescue us. Humans are facing each other, there is only way we can manage to add a drop. I am going to make it based on that iron rule common to "Godzilla" and "Shin · Godzilla".
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Godzilla4ev » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:20 pm

Benjamin Haines wrote:
lhb412 wrote:He tramples across Japan and these living tumors sprout from his body left and right, leaving the people who survive Godzilla's rampages to deal with these other kaiju, much like radioactive fallout. The threat that Godzilla poses to humanity would thus be magnified..

This sounds a lot like Cloverfield. The monster rampages through NY while parasites drop from its body leaving people to deal with the parasites.
The sea rose as a wall of sharp spines sliced thru the surface. The water boiled and churned as fish of all species floated on their sides, dead. Godzilla, the demon god had emerged.
Godzilla4ev
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:42 pm

Godzilla4ev wrote:
Benjamin Haines wrote:He tramples across Japan and these living tumors sprout from his body left and right, leaving the people who survive Godzilla's rampages to deal with these other kaiju, much like radioactive fallout. The threat that Godzilla poses to humanity would thus be magnified..

This sounds a lot like Cloverfield. The monster rampages through NY while parasites drop from its body leaving people to deal with the parasites.

Totally. They can even take the concept further with the newly sprouted monsters growing larger over time, eventually matching Godzilla in size.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:38 am

lhb412 wrote:Noticed something in this article elucidating the tweet clarifying that Anno isn't working on Shin 2:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2 ... lla-sequel

we have seen some misunderstandings have occurred, but the 'next Godzilla series' refers to the anime series and the Hollywood-made films

Okay: 'anime series'?' Is the plural form an accurate translation? I've thought all along that this animated Godzilla was intended to be a series and not a one-off.

ANN 2017-03-23:
Shin Godzilla Sequel by Hideaki Anno Not Announced
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Previous

Return to Shin Godzilla and Beyond!