Shin Godzilla NON-SPOILER news and info

Discussion on Shin Godzilla and rumors, news, and speculation on other possible future Godzilla projects, including the Godzilla Anime project! Discuss them here!

Moderator: Controllers

Shin Godzilla NON-SPOILER news and info

Postby canofhumdingers » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:11 am

lhb kinda beat me to it with the dedicated spoiler thread (btw, thank you! I kinda wish we had separated that out months ago)

Anyway, this thread is specifically for news and information about the film that has NO SPOILERS. News about overseas distribution, release dates, box office performance, etc. is what this thread is all about.

For anyone who, like me, doesn't want to know any more about the film before they actually get to see it, but still want to know when and where it will be released, how it's performing, and what kind of home video releases will be available this is the place to hang out.

Edit: changed the title to reflect what is now apparently the official U.S. release title.
Last edited by canofhumdingers on Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
canofhumdingers
Burning Godzilla

Re: Godzilla Resurgence NON-SPOILER news and info

Postby canofhumdingers » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:16 am

Here's a link found by lhb that contains news about distribution deals in 100 countries worldwide. Not many specifics, but it's a start:

http://raffleupagus.tumblr.com/post/147 ... appears-to
canofhumdingers
Burning Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:55 pm

Can't wait to hear the method of release here (theatrical? on demand?), which hopefully will be announced at the same time as the distributor.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Kailem » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:20 pm

Given that that distribution map pic seems to imply it will be getting a UK release after all (is......is this real life right now? Am I dreaming this? Please tell me I'm not dreaming), I think I'd like to try and avoid spoilers as much as possible until whenever that happens to be.

Hopefully if they've already got a distributor for it over here they won't take ages to announce when and how it'll be viewable. Any kind of release for a Godzilla movie is almost unheard of over here these days, but I'm still hoping it won't be a situation where it's shown on one screen in some obscure art house cinema somewhere a year after everywhere else.
"Absorb what is useful, discard what is not, add what is uniquely your own"
- Bruce Lee
Kailem
Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:04 am

Well, the ultimate in non-spoilery news is now known by everyone: Funimation has the rights for all of North America... and South America... Central America, too? Damn, have they ever had a release this wide before? I know nothing about how many countries Funimation operates in.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:16 am

For reference, here's how well some of FUNimation's previous U.S. releases did:

Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection F
    $8,008,363 in 913 theaters over two weeks

Attack on Titan - Part 1
    $449,523 in 290 theaters on a total four days

Attack on Titan - Part 2
    $305,934 in 230 theaters over 8 days
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/studio/cha ... mation.htm
Benjamin Haines
Burning Godzilla

Postby Shokara » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:18 am

Well, I'm going to be a very stupidly happy Godzilla fanboy tomorrow. I never thought an opportunity like this would come in my lifetime. Seeing a brand new Japanese Godzilla movie for the first time in theaters instead of on video or TV! :D
Shokara
Godzilla Jr.

Postby canofhumdingers » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:35 am

Hooray!!!!
canofhumdingers
Burning Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:19 am

Waitaminute...

"Shin Godzilla" ?

Might Funimation be discarding Toho's English language title in favor of one that draws attention to its Japanese origin?
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Gman2887 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:52 am

lhb412 wrote:Might Funimation be discarding Toho's English language title in favor of one that draws attention to its Japanese origin?

I've been thinking about that too. Maybe wanting to distance itself from Independence Day? This will likely be a limited release targeted specifically at the fans anyway, so it wouldn't hurt. I like "Shin" title more anyway.
Gman2887
Burning Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:19 pm

let's hope they bring out the home video release faster than they did with AoT
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:45 pm

klen7 wrote:let's hope they bring out the home video release faster than they did with AoT

I don't know if I'd count on it. I imagine one of the delays on AoT is getting a dub together. Releasing a subbed foreign release doesn't take much, which is why AoT hit theaters in relatively short order (and we can possibly presume Shin Gojira will) but they'll want a dub on a home video release and that will take more time.

Or maybe I really have no idea what I'm talking about. That's always a possibility in play
Gills.

My Podcast:
http://secondrun.libsyn.com/

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby lhb412 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:21 pm

According to Sci-fi Japan, Toho apparently insisted on the 'Shin Godzilla' title. I don't know what's going on with that, but I prefer this title.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Dai » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:26 pm

Kailem wrote:Given that that distribution map pic seems to imply it will be getting a UK release after all (is......is this real life right now? Am I dreaming this? Please tell me I'm not dreaming), I think I'd like to try and avoid spoilers as much as possible until whenever that happens to be.

Hopefully if they've already got a distributor for it over here they won't take ages to announce when and how it'll be viewable. Any kind of release for a Godzilla movie is almost unheard of over here these days, but I'm still hoping it won't be a situation where it's shown on one screen in some obscure art house cinema somewhere a year after everywhere else.

My money's on Manga Entertainment handling the UK release, based on the Anno connection putting it in their strike zone (they also released Evangelion here) and them doing the Attack on Titan theatrical release (such as it was) last year. There just aren't too many other operations in the UK who would both put down the money for the license and consider a theatrical release. The fact that the US release went to Funimation instead of a major Hollywood distributor also makes it unlikely that the local division of a big name distributor will pick it up for the UK.

Manga Entertainment's (ultra limited) theatrical release of Attack on Titan was in December. That was a double-bill including the second movie that released in August, so, if they do license Resurgence, a comparable lead time might mean it hitting UK cinemas in November or December this year, with a blu-ray following in July 2017. That's all extrapolation and guess work, of course.
Dai
Godzilla

Postby kpa » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:30 pm

SciFi Japan has the revised press release with a few changes, plus an additional bit of info from Funimation....

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2016 ... ion-films/
Keith
kpa
Monster 01

Postby Zack Metoyer » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:05 pm

lhb412 wrote:According to Sci-fi Japan, Toho apparently insisted on the 'Shin Godzilla' title. I don't know what's going on with that, but I prefer this title.

Three theories:

1.) Toho is now planning a series of "Shin Godzilla vs." films, to differentiate the series from Legendary's.

2.) Legendary and WB asked Toho to change the title, so people wouldn't think it's a sequel to Godzilla (2014).

3.) The bad reaction to Independence Day is what changed their minds.
Zack Metoyer
Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:36 pm

Benjamin Haines wrote:For reference, here's how well some of FUNimation's previous U.S. releases did:

Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection F
    $8,008,363 in 913 theaters over two weeks

Attack on Titan - Part 1
    $449,523 in 290 theaters on a total four days

Attack on Titan - Part 2
    $305,934 in 230 theaters over 8 days
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/studio/cha ... mation.htm

That matches what I thought...and kind of what I was afraid of. I recall seeing posters for DBZ at my local theater when it came out, but was pretty sure the AoT films didn't have any release near me, not that I would have seen them. I would be willing to travel the 100 miles or so to see Resurgence in San Francisco (the most likely closest location), if the release is limited, but if it is REALLY limited...like a couple of the last Studio Ghibli movies limited...then I guess I'll have to enjoy the eventual home media release.

Also...I think my head is going to hurt again if the mass media runs with "Shin Godzilla" thinking this movie is going to be about the bone above his ankles... :roll:

Also I know Funimation does not have anything near the budget of Sony, but Godzilla 2000 made just over 10M, opened in just over 2100 theaters, and was in release for 66 days. I know inflation is a factor, but DBZ made almost that much with a much more limited release and run. I'm homing Researgence gets released in close to a 1000 theater range, that will give it a nice distribution. Also...can anyone confirm has Toho done an international dub, or will Funimation try to record its own?

I cant imagine a world where Godzilla would do worse in the theaters than a DBZ movie. but then again...I could just be a crazy old man.
Film Wish List:1. Gamera Super Monster with Filmways opening/closing credits
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby Gwangi » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:30 pm

Zack Metoyer wrote:
lhb412 wrote:According to Sci-fi Japan, Toho apparently insisted on the 'Shin Godzilla' title. I don't know what's going on with that, but I prefer this title.

Three theories:

1.) Toho is now planning a series of "Shin Godzilla vs." films, to differentiate the series from Legendary's.

2.) Legendary and WB asked Toho to change the title, so people wouldn't think it's a sequel to Godzilla (2014).

The second one seems to me the most likely.
Gwangi
Heisei Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:31 pm

Zack Metoyer wrote:

Three theories:

Yeah, some variation of those thoughts occurred to me, too. Like Gwangi, I think the second is the most likely, as it emphasizes the movie's Japanese origin. I love the first theory though.

Have Kaneko dust off his initial Godzilla script and make 'Shin Godzilla vs. M' next, Toho!
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:10 pm

I've just about gotten used to typing 'Shin Godzilla' instead of 'Godzilla Resurgence.'

Just about...

Shin Godzilla
Shin Godzilla
Shin Godzilla
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby TerranigmaFreak » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:53 pm

lhb412 wrote:I've just about gotten used to typing 'Shin Godzilla' instead of 'Godzilla Resurgence.'

Just about...

Shin Godzilla
Shin Godzilla
Shin Godzilla

My friend and I call him Shinjira.
TerranigmaFreak
Heisei Godzilla

Postby The Shadow » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:36 am

I can see Shinjira being the nickname that sticks for the new Toho Godzilla design.
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Henry88 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:50 pm

Zack Metoyer wrote:

Three theories:

if they are planing on doing a vs movie next then for all that is good make a better design,this godzilla is not built for combating other monsters.
Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Kailem » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:36 pm

Dai wrote:
Kailem wrote:Given that that distribution map pic seems to imply it will be getting a UK release after all (is......is this real life right now? Am I dreaming this? Please tell me I'm not dreaming), I think I'd like to try and avoid spoilers as much as possible until whenever that happens to be.

My money's on Manga Entertainment handling the UK release, based on the Anno connection putting it in their strike zone (they also released Evangelion here) and them doing the Attack on Titan theatrical release (such as it was) last year. There just aren't too many other operations in the UK who would both put down the money for the license and consider a theatrical release. The fact that the US release went to Funimation instead of a major Hollywood distributor also makes it unlikely that the local division of a big name distributor will pick it up for the UK.

Manga Entertainment's (ultra limited) theatrical release of Attack on Titan was in December. That was a double-bill including the second movie that released in August, so, if they do license Resurgence, a comparable lead time might mean it hitting UK cinemas in November or December this year, with a blu-ray following in July 2017. That's all extrapolation and guess work, of course.

Yeah Manga makes the most sense for all the reasons you listed, and they also have a history with distributing certain Godzilla movies here in the past.

I still just find it so strange (in a good way) that it's getting any sort of distribution in the UK whatsoever. I think the most "recent" Godzilla film to make it to these shores was Godzilla vs Mothra back in the early 90's, again by Manga, and since then............nothing. It sucks that there's a whole generation of kids growing up here now who have never had any sort of access to these films in the way we used to have back in the 80's and 90's. It'd be nice if the release of Shin Godzilla/Godzilla Resurgence was the start of a real resurgence, even if it was a mini one, of those older (and newer) films making it to UK television screens once again, but I doubt it.

For now though I'm just going to sit back and enjoy the hell out of the fact that it looks like we're actually going to be getting the first official release of a Godzilla film in the UK for the past 24 years. :D
"Absorb what is useful, discard what is not, add what is uniquely your own"
- Bruce Lee
Kailem
Godzilla

Postby Dai » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:12 pm

Kailem wrote:Yeah Manga makes the most sense for all the reasons you listed, and they also have a history with distributing certain Godzilla movies here in the past.

I still just find it so strange (in a good way) that it's getting any sort of distribution in the UK whatsoever. I think the most "recent" Godzilla film to make it to these shores was Godzilla vs Mothra back in the early 90's, again by Manga, and since then............nothing. It sucks that there's a whole generation of kids growing up here now who have never had any sort of access to these films in the way we used to have back in the 80's and 90's. It'd be nice if the release of Shin Godzilla/Godzilla Resurgence was the start of a real resurgence, even if it was a mini one, of those older (and newer) films making it to UK television screens once again, but I doubt it.

If it does turn out to be Manga, I'm glad that they've calmed down since the 90s, as we'll likely get a faithful release of Shin Godzilla. Their revisionist policies in the 90s turned out some classics, like the heavy metal, ultra-sweary version of Cyber City Oedo that was better than the original, and the inspired use of Yello on the soundtrack for Space Adventure Cobra. But replacing Ko Otani's orchestral score with generic techno in Gamera: Guardian of the Universe just made no sense.
Dai
Godzilla

Next

Return to Shin Godzilla and Beyond!