Shin Godzilla NON-SPOILER news and info

Discussion on Shin Godzilla and rumors, news, and speculation on other possible future Godzilla projects, including the Godzilla Anime project! Discuss them here!

Moderator: Controllers

Re: Shin Godzilla NON-SPOILER news and info

Postby angilas » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:02 am

jellydonut25 wrote:Spoiler-free thoughts:
I was on board for the first hour or so, MUCH more than I had thought I would be, goofy initial appearance and all.

The second half, is the worst hour of movie in Godzilla history. Unbelievably redundant, dull, convoluted, and the climax is terrible. I wound up not disliking it at all for the reasons I thought I would, and not QUITE as much as I thought I would, but for wholly different reasons, and still left a BAD taste in my mouth.
2/5, because I'm feeling generous and remembering the few parts I actually did really like.

Maybe because I went in expecting the beauracracy while still avoiding spoilers outside of the trailers I didn't think that part was bad but out of curiously how do you compare it to final wars? For me it'd be a 4/5 and FW a 1/5. It's one I can watch and realize not everyone will be on board with it partially due to dislogue.

Anyway it hit 5.3M attended and $75M gross over the weekend, putting it ahead of the matrix and just behind ghostbusters and Ghidorah. It fell to 10th at the box office. If next week is its last which I think it is, it picking up the .11M viewers to push it to 4th most seen in theatres of all time seems unlikely. Then again in shonen jump, "red sprite's" author wrote he planned to see it twice, so maybe fans are more likely to boost the numbers by seeing it again in the last week.
angilas
Heisei Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:04 am

I'd rather watch Final Wars once a week for a year than sit through this again in theaters this week.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby angilas » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:36 am

jellydonut25 wrote:I'd rather watch Final Wars once a week for a year than sit through this again in theaters this week.

I can understand that. Even for me (and I enjoyed it) it seems like it would be difficult to rewatach due to it's slow pace. Still I thought GFW was a joke throughout while this was comedic at times. Other than the battle with Monster X I didn't think GFW had anything that would impress international audiences, as opposed to making them think Godzilla is a joke. This had quite a bit that impressed friends who I showed a GFW bootleg over a decade ago on my own first viewing (I expected it to be on the level of GMK and boy was I wrong) and that was their reaction as well.

That being said I don't think it is a film my father (who showed me my first Godzilla movie when I wasn't quite a year old) would enjoy. He'll undoubtedly like the soundtrack and while 85 is one of his favorites, for reasons I can't say in a non spoiler section, I assume he'll find Anno's style off putting. He hated GINO for a different reason, that one was a coward. This one is (I think it's fair to say in a non-spoiler section since it was apparent from the poster) grotesque.
As a fan of the original and 85 he may surprise me but I think it's like an acquired taste. May try to take him this weekend.

Oh and I apologize for my horrible English in that last post. It was late, I was falling asleep while typing.
angilas
Heisei Godzilla

Re: Godzilla Resurgence NON-SPOILER news and info

Postby Benjamin Haines » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:40 pm

Benjamin Haines wrote:For reference, here's how well some of FUNimation's previous U.S. releases did:

Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection F
    $8,008,363 in 913 theaters over two weeks

Attack on Titan - Part 1
    $449,523 in 290 theaters on a total four days

Attack on Titan - Part 2
    $305,934 in 230 theaters over 8 days
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/studio/cha ... mation.htm

According to Box Office Mojo, Shin Godzilla is playing in 515 North American theaters, over 200 more than the Attack on Titan films but almost 400 fewer than DBZ. Makes sense. It will be interesting to see where its North American gross ends up compared to those movies. The showing I went to in Asheville last night was at about quarter-capacity.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:24 pm

The screening I went to was closer to the size of the Attack on Titan Part 2 crowd I saw it with. For whatever that's worth (Not much)
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Gojira07 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:03 pm

I noticed at my theater, everyone wanted to take pictures with the marquee. So I was glad to not be the only one excited by the prospect of a Japanese Godzilla film being in theaters.
Gojira07
Baby Godzilla

Postby GFan » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:30 pm

Gojira07 wrote:I noticed at my theater, everyone wanted to take pictures with the marquee. So I was glad to not be the only one excited by the prospect of a Japanese Godzilla film being in theaters.

The theater I went to didn't bother putting up a poster anywhere. I was looking forward to getting a selfie with it. Geek-moment denied. :?
GFan
Burning Godzilla

Postby Psycho Soldier » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:23 am

Dai wrote:That is downright bizarre. It looks like they've butchered half the tracks on the iTunes version. The Japanese OST all fits on one CD, even with the added bonus tracks, so I wonder what the rationale is here. The only answer I can think of is if the US release uses the same master for all its formats, and the runtime of vinyl was the limiting factor. It's been so long since I've owned anything on vinyl that I don't know if that would be the case.

After seeing the movie, I'm thinking the iTunes release reflects the cuts used in the actual film, whereas the Japanese release has the full, unedited tracks. I was listening for a particular part in "Black Angels" during the movie and didn't hear it -- just like with the iTunes version. Disappointing, but I guess...
"Available for your home in 1995, only on Nintendo Ultra 64!"
Psycho Soldier
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:32 am

Oh my god guys, I know we get into some really heated debates, but this is from the Godzilla topic over at a Transformers message baord:

Does anyone have any idea when Funimation plans on a DVD release for this film? I was hoping they would release by Easter at the latest...but some of you have said given Funimation's track record with DBZ films, it might not be until late 2017...or even 2018 until Godzilla Resurgence is released on DVD. Unfortunately I don't live near a theater showing this. I think the decision to give this a limited theater release instead of putting it on DVD was a very unsound decision. G-fans want it NOW. We don't want to wait, neigh, won't wait over a year for the official DVD release to see this movie.

Funimation needs to release a statement, and if it wants to avoid any litigious action from angry G-fans, it would be wise to release said statement immediately.

I urge all of you with Facebook and Twitter accounts to contact them, for those of you without social media accounts, these links should point you in the right direction:

FUNimation - Customer and Tech Support; Watch Anime Episodes Online

I will not file a lawsuit as I do not have the resources, but I hope that some other disenfranchised G-fan (preferably one who does not suffer from clinical depression as I do) with such resources will, or even someone willing to file a class action lawsuit should Funimation refuse to release it on DVD in 2017. Making us wait until 2018 is unacceptable. That will be a whole 2 years from it's initial release date.

G-fans could file a class action lawsuit saying that Funimation was expected to release it within a reasonable amount of time, given that most movies are released on DVD 4-6months after the theatrical release, which would mean by February or March of 2017 Funimation needs to release it.

Not just one fan. I'm talking about everyone who wasn't able to see a movie they've already been waiting over a year for through an extremely limited theatrical release. Funimation is looking at a lot of PO'd G-Fans right about now. I love how all of you think that I'm somehow in the wrong on this.

Ticking off a G-fan is akin to knocking over a Hell's Angel's motorcycle. Just...not a good idea. At all.

OH MY GOD!!! I am so glad we are far more civil than this guy on these boards despite how bad our arguments get.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby DannyBeane » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:58 am

Every fandom has its nuts. The Godzilla fandom just seems to have a hire percentage of them.
DannyBeane
Burning Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:13 pm

Dai wrote:While we're talking about the soundtrack, has anyone else noticed that track 9 is actually two separate recordings of the same cue? The first half appears to be the archival one from the Terror of Mechagodzilla score, while the second half sounds like a new recording. The difference in dynamics and instrument placement is quite marked if you listen through headphones.

I think you're right. About 40 seconds into the original 1975 cue, it segues from Godzilla's theme to that of Titanosaurus. In Shin Godzilla, it segues into a repeat of Godzilla's theme but it really does sound like a new recording instead of the same 1975 audio being played twice. I think it's cool if that's what Shiro Sagisu did. Here's a comparison between the two tracks:

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

Speaking of the soundtrack, I didn't stay through the end credits either of the times I saw the movie but it looks like they feature four classic Akira Ifukube tracks: the military march from G'54*, the opening cues from Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster and Monster Zero, and..... Mechagodzilla's Heisei theme. What an odd choice that last one is. I guess Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1993) is one of Anno's favorites, or maybe he or someone on the production just liked that particular music cue.

*which Ifukube later reworked into the aforementioned Godzilla theme in Terror of Mechagodzilla!
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:21 pm

^It was like a little tour through Ifukube's history with the franchise!

If I'm not mistaken, some of the vintage sound effects used in the movie were Heisei era, right?
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby XvGojira » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:23 pm

Sliiightly off topic, my wedding photographer finished off one of my requested pictures.

XvGojira
Burning Godzilla

Postby Rodanex » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:05 pm

Ugh...so bummed I missed out on the theater release...I was in San Francisco for a concert on the 15th and was hoping to catch a showing, but they were all sold out.
Rodanex
Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:20 pm

Dr Kain wrote:OH MY GOD!!! I am so glad we are far more civil than this guy on these boards despite how bad our arguments get.

May I be so bold to ask what TF site? I frequent quite a few of them, if you don't want to throw a site under the bus I understand. But sounds like the same guy from England who wanted to sue WB for the distance he had to drive to see Suicide Squad and was "ripped-off" because scenes from the trailer were not in the actual film.
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:35 pm

Rodanex wrote:Ugh...so bummed I missed out on the theater release...I was in San Francisco for a concert on the 15th and was hoping to catch a showing, but they were all sold out.

Where do you live? A lot of theaters are playing it for the last time tonight.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:29 pm

XvGojira wrote:Sliiightly off topic, my wedding photographer finished off one of my requested pictures.

Awesome/adorable!
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Rodanex » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:22 pm

Benjamin Haines wrote:
Rodanex wrote:Ugh...so bummed I missed out on the theater release...I was in San Francisco for a concert on the 15th and was hoping to catch a showing, but they were all sold out.

Hours away from any screenings.
Rodanex
Godzilla

Postby angilas » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:09 am

So much for runs coming in multiples of 6 weeks, BoM says it didn't run for it's 12th weekend, and it wouldn't drop from 10th to 21st in a week without them pulling it from nearly every theater. Even in the US it's in the top 15 with barely any screens. So it won't pass Ghidorah, but remember that was its lifetime run, so rereleases perhaps like this one in November (also featuring G84 and G2K) can help get it there: https://mobile.twitter.com/g54_info/sta ... 6872399872
I know the DVD/bluray won't be available for a while, but when is Milanrecords gonna start selling the vinyl? Anyone know?
angilas
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:23 am

Rodanex wrote:
Benjamin Haines wrote:

Hours away from any screenings.

There is hope! :mrgreen:
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Rodanex » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:21 am

Benjamin Haines wrote:
There is hope! :mrgreen:

Heh heh....guess who has tickets to a screening on Oct 22? :D
Rodanex
Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:46 pm

Huzzah! Let us know what you think!
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Rodanex » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:59 pm

I loved it. I'll post a more detailed review in the review thread once my thoughts are bit more collected.
Rodanex
Godzilla

Postby Gman2887 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:49 pm

Meanwhile in Japan...

World of KJ just updated with weekend actuals, reporting Shin Godzilla is now at $76 million with an attendance of 5.40 million. (Ghidorah: The Three Headed Monster is at 5.41 million.) If BOM updates again I wonder what it will be at, since WOKJ tends to have lower estimates.
Gman2887
Burning Godzilla

Postby Rodanex » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:08 am

and..... Mechagodzilla's Heisei theme. What an odd choice that last one is. I guess Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1993) is one of Anno's favorites, or maybe he or someone on the production just liked that particular music cue.

Duuuude!! Seriously? Man, now I wish I'd stayed for all the credits.
Rodanex
Godzilla

PreviousNext

Return to Shin Godzilla and Beyond!