Shin Godzilla NON-SPOILER news and info

Discussion on Shin Godzilla and rumors, news, and speculation on other possible future Godzilla projects, including the Godzilla Anime project! Discuss them here!

Moderator: Controllers

Re: Shin Godzilla NON-SPOILER news and info

Postby angilas » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:33 am

lhb412 wrote:
Gman2887 wrote:$68.5 million after Monday (a Holiday) and an attendance of 4.87 million. Holding strong and pretty much expected to surpass Monster Zero's attendance now. It is the 77th all-time highest grossing film in Japan.


So, we're probably gonna end up between Monster Zero and Ghidorah, eh?

I still can't get over how astounding this movie's success is. Toho must be thrilled, as it's seems like (with the accompanying Hollywood version) they've finally executed their ideal plan for Godzilla as global and domestic phenomenon.


I think that's almost a certainty at this point.

After so many failed endeavors from the 98 Tristar film to the disappointing returns on the Mire series (GMK being the only minor exception which likely would have surpassed that if Higuchi was Kaneko's spfx director and not Higuchi's kohai), to whatever the heck GFW was in comparison to expectations this has got to be Toho execs dream come true. I don't know that Tomoyuki Tanaka would have been open to this depiction of Goji but anyone who survived GINO (which he did not) should be.

Also, maybe it's just pre sale, but my Japanese is horrible (kanji skills non existent) so if someone can please confirm, did Shin Goji just fall to 9th place: http://mimorin2014.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-13613.html
Regardless I think we've hit 2nd for the year and passed Zootopia.
Last edited by angilas on Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
angilas
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1238
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:59 am

Re: Shin Godzilla NON-SPOILER news and info

Postby The Great MM » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:02 am

lhb412 wrote:
Gman2887 wrote:$68.5 million after Monday (a Holiday) and an attendance of 4.87 million. Holding strong and pretty much expected to surpass Monster Zero's attendance now. It is the 77th all-time highest grossing film in Japan.


So, we're probably gonna end up between Monster Zero and Ghidorah, eh?

I still can't get over how astounding this movie's success is. Toho must be thrilled, as it's seems like (with the accompanying Hollywood version) they've finally executed their ideal plan for Godzilla as global and domestic phenomenon.


It's hardly a global phenomenon.
User avatar
The Great MM
Godzilla
 
Posts: 685
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:10 pm

Re: Shin Godzilla NON-SPOILER news and info

Postby angilas » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:58 am

The Great MM wrote:
lhb412 wrote:
Gman2887 wrote:$68.5 million after Monday (a Holiday) and an attendance of 4.87 million. Holding strong and pretty much expected to surpass Monster Zero's attendance now. It is the 77th all-time highest grossing film in Japan.


So, we're probably gonna end up between Monster Zero and Ghidorah, eh?

I still can't get over how astounding this movie's success is. Toho must be thrilled, as it's seems like (with the accompanying Hollywood version) they've finally executed their ideal plan for Godzilla as global and domestic phenomenon.


It's hardly a global phenomenon.


I'm pretty sure he means Gareth Edwards Godzilla that despite making less money than GINO is fairly well recieved and in line for several sequels is a global phenomenon, and Shin Godzilla that has outdone the attendance records of every Godzilla film since the Golden Age and the Gross of every Godzilla film period is an undeniable domestic phenomenon. Hence the "accompanying Hollywood version". Or do you not feel the planned western Godzilla 2 and KKvG make it a global phenomenon? Sure there's not Star Wars or even Transformers level hype, but compared to what came before, and Japanese expectations for their franchises heading to the west (a la Dragonball Evolution :-(), it could be called a phenom.
User avatar
angilas
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1238
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:59 am

Re: Shin Godzilla NON-SPOILER news and info

Postby lhb412 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:39 am

^Producing domestic Godzilla movies in tandem with a Hollywood series is something Toho's been wanting to do since the early '80s when the proposed Godzilla 3D was in development.
User avatar
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 15650
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2003 7:11 pm

Re: Shin Godzilla NON-SPOILER news and info

Postby angilas » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:51 am

lhb412 wrote:^Producing domestic Godzilla movies in tandem with a Hollywood series is something Toho's been wanting to do since the early '80s when the proposed Godzilla 3D was in development.

Early 80s Godzilla 3D? I was aware of Banno's project from over a decade ago that semi-morphed into Godzilla 2014 but wasn't aware of that one. Still I'm not surprised. In the 70s Godzilla made it into Marvel and had that Hanna Barbers cartoon, when Toho wouldn't even license an anime for him, until this year.

Anyway despite falling in rankings this week, it seems Shin Godzilla passed all but 3 shows films attendance records a while ago since it's the combined totals for rerelease that had Mothra v G, Ghidorah's and Monster Zero's attendance records so high: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godzilla_(franchise) meaning also what I said about 64 being Godzillas most successful year being incorrect. My bad. Still I guess we'll have to celebrate it passing those combined totals since it won't be passing Raids Again barring a rerelease itself (speaking of raids again, the wiki site notes how it was double billed in the US with teenagers from outer space, which was made by a director who fled Hollywood after changing his name to Jesus Christ II and advertising sermons, before killing himself. And that failed movie's effects of humans turning into skeletons with one ray zap made it into Mars attacks which also features a Cameo from Godzilla using his rampage in Osaka prior to his rematch with the Super-X II, and the film was also featured in the ps2 game Destroy All Humans, which seems aptly named after DaM or the last film of the Golden Era. A case of truth being stranger than fiction?
User avatar
angilas
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1238
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:59 am

Re: Shin Godzilla NON-SPOILER news and info

Postby mr.negativity » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:18 am

angilas wrote:
lhb412 wrote:^Producing domestic Godzilla movies in tandem with a Hollywood series is something Toho's been wanting to do since the early '80s when the proposed Godzilla 3D was in development.

Early 80s Godzilla 3D? I was aware of Banno's project from over a decade ago that semi-morphed into Godzilla 2014 but wasn't aware of that one. Still I'm not surprised. In the 70s Godzilla made it into Marvel and had that Hanna Barbers cartoon, when Toho wouldn't even license an anime for him, until this year.

The 3D Godzilla Movie That Almost Was
Back in 1983 there was an attempt to make a big U.S. version of Godzilla in 3D that was in development for several years before it finally fell apart.

Image
User avatar
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 8661
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 7:27 am
Location: The Negative Zone

Re: Shin Godzilla NON-SPOILER news and info

Postby lhb412 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:04 am

I would like to have seen the stop motion Godzilla with the animatronic head (by Rick Baker?) for closeups.

Interesting how that unmade film's rationale for Godzilla was essentially used in '14.
User avatar
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 15650
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2003 7:11 pm

Re: Shin Godzilla NON-SPOILER news and info

Postby Benjamin Haines » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:32 am

Box Office Mojo has the figures for Shin Godzilla's ninth weekend. The film had its steepest drop yet, plunging -49.1% to $983,722 for a new $72,912,443 total through this past Sunday, September 25. Hey, it had to happen at some point. The fact that it took nine weeks for Shin Godzilla to see its first under-100-million-yen weekend is still incredible. It's currently the #2 top-grossing 2016 release in Japan, ahead of Zootopia and behind only the pop culture sensation that is Your Name.
Image
User avatar
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 5490
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: Shin Godzilla NON-SPOILER news and info

Postby angilas » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:14 pm

^ sounds like it's broken 5M attendance and exceeded at least my expectations from last week below:
angilas wrote:
It will break 5 million attended once it reaches a gross around $72.87M USD (weekend 9?)
It looks like it will break M.Z.'s attendance record when it hits $74.77M USD (weekend 10?)
It looks like it can break Ghidorah's attendance record if it hits $78.85M USD (weekend 12? or the end of it's run but that's pushing it...)
User avatar
angilas
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1238
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:59 am

Re: Shin Godzilla NON-SPOILER news and info

Postby Moonlight SY-3 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:24 pm

Well, I did my part (again). I had last Friday (Sept 30) off, so I went to see it for the fourth and probably last time in the theater.

I like it more every time I see it. Looking forward to the overseas reactions when it opens next week. Also looking forward to seeing how they handle the subtitles...as has been mentioned, it's extremely dialogue heavy, and is already plastered with subtitles at the start of many of these scenes.

I went to the 1:05pm showing here in rural Sano, so it was me and 11 other middle-aged guys, in the smallest theater of the complex. Not bad, considering the movie's already been out for 2 months!
~Brian
User avatar
Moonlight SY-3
Godzilla
 
Posts: 521
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:09 am
Location: Tochigi, Japan

Re: Shin Godzilla NON-SPOILER news and info

Postby angilas » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:03 am

Moonlight SY-3 wrote:Well, I did my part (again). I had last Friday (Sept 30) off, so I went to see it for the fourth and probably last time in the theater.

I like it more every time I see it. Looking forward to the overseas reactions when it opens next week. Also looking forward to seeing how they handle the subtitles...as has been mentioned, it's extremely dialogue heavy, and is already plastered with subtitles at the start of many of these scenes.

I went to the 1:05pm showing here in rural Sano, so it was me and 11 other middle-aged guys, in the smallest theater of the complex. Not bad, considering the movie's already been out for 2 months!


Thank you! I'll have to see it a few times in the US. Sounds like attendance went up Saturday due to box office discount day 41% off for the start of the new month. It's estimated Shin Goji went up to 7th place and earned 900k which should put it at 73.8M (though they said 73.1 which doesn't compute with BoxOfficeMojo that had it at 72.9 last week). It seems on pace to barely squeak past MZ's lifetime total attendance record & make $75m at the end of an expected 12 week run.

Then again it looks like the actual say it fell to 11th: http://mimorin2014.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-13751.html
Any chance I can get you to help translate?
User avatar
angilas
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1238
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:59 am

Re: Shin Godzilla NON-SPOILER news and info

Postby Moonlight SY-3 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:46 pm

angilas wrote:Then again it looks like the actual say it fell to 11th: http://mimorin2014.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-13751.html
Any chance I can get you to help translate?


Yeah, according to that site it's 11th as of October 3. Still playing in 226 theaters, sales at 69.3% compared to last week's.
~Brian
User avatar
Moonlight SY-3
Godzilla
 
Posts: 521
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:09 am
Location: Tochigi, Japan

Re: Shin Godzilla NON-SPOILER news and info

Postby MechaMinya » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:34 am

Milan Records has announced the U.S. digital release and eventual CD and vinyl LP (!) release of the SHIN GODZILLA soundtrack! Vinyl prayers answered!

https://facebook.com/milanrecords/photo ... &source=48
Last edited by MechaMinya on Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
God is in the details.
User avatar
MechaMinya
Little Godzilla
 
Posts: 176
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 4:59 pm
Location: Augusta, GA

Re: Shin Godzilla NON-SPOILER news and info

Postby Psycho Soldier » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:16 am

Citation provided. They handled the Attack on Titan: The Movie soundtrack last year, and that's on Spotify and iTunes, so I'd say this one is in good hands. This edition won't have the Japanese version bonus tracks, but I don't know how many of us will miss those.
"Available for your home in 1995, only on Nintendo Ultra 64!"
User avatar
Psycho Soldier
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1469
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2003 5:11 pm
Location: Kaneda

Re: Shin Godzilla NON-SPOILER news and info

Postby GFan » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:34 am

MechaMinya wrote:Milan Records has announced the U.S. digital release and eventual CD and vinyl LP (!) release of the SHIN GODZILLA soundtrack! Vinyl prayers answered!

https://facebook.com/milanrecords/photo ... &source=48


Vinyl!? Now THAT'S awesome.
User avatar
GFan
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 2102
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2003 8:35 am
Location: Maine

Re: Shin Godzilla NON-SPOILER news and info

Postby Rody » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:14 pm

I don't know; the lack of "Early Morning in Tokyo"(full) is kind of a downer; but that it's coming to vinyl at all is very cool.
Actually, I haven't even bought the Japanese disc yet. I may have to double-dip...
User avatar
Rody
Godzilla
 
Posts: 618
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:41 pm

Re: Shin Godzilla NON-SPOILER news and info

Postby MechaMinya » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:00 pm

Where are the reports on the Los Angeles premiere? Was the cast and crew in attendance? How was the after-party?! Was the sake flowing?
God is in the details.
User avatar
MechaMinya
Little Godzilla
 
Posts: 176
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 4:59 pm
Location: Augusta, GA

Re: Shin Godzilla NON-SPOILER news and info

Postby Dai » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:41 am

Rody wrote:I don't know; the lack of "Early Morning in Tokyo"(full) is kind of a downer; but that it's coming to vinyl at all is very cool.
Actually, I haven't even bought the Japanese disc yet. I may have to double-dip...


Yeah, some of the bonus tracks are great, especially the instrumental version of Who Will Know and the choral version of Under a Burning Sky. I'm glad I imported the Japanese release after all.
User avatar
Dai
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1061
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:07 pm
Location: UK

Re: Shin Godzilla NON-SPOILER news and info

Postby angilas » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:06 am

^man I want that vinyl but sounds like I need to get the Japanese cd first: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp and ordered. It'll take a few weeks to arrive but with milanrecords having a free digital download for deadpool's soundtrack with that vinyl I imagine they'll do something similar for Shin Goji so I'll be able to get the non bonus tracks before then.
angilas wrote:
It will break 5 million attended once it reaches a gross around $72.87M USD (weekend 9?)
It looks like it will break M.Z.'s attendance record when it hits $74.77M USD (weekend 10?)
It looks like it can break Ghidorah's attendance record if it hits $78.85M USD (weekend 12? or the end of it's run but that's pushing it...)


BOM has updated yet again. So it seems slightly behind my predictions though the original speculation of SG rising to 7th was accurate, the BOM calculations seem to have the total gross at $74.57M as of Sunday or slightly below the total gross needed for its attendance to surpass MZ's total release and rerelease attendance in Japn. Since its Thursday I'm sure it's broken it but unles I'm wrong about the 12 week run, it seems unlikely to pass Ghidorah's lifetime total attendance in Japan...although it seems it will be really close. :mrgreen:

Edit now they're saying on KOJ it's sold 5.21 million tickets or well over MZ's 5.13 lifetime total. Since it only needs 5.41 to surpass Ghidorah it seems that goal is within reach. Of course their-estimate of the gross is a $M below BoM's:
Image
Godzilla Box-Office History
# Of Films: 31 / Years Active: 1954-Present

Admissions:
12.55 million - Godzilla vs. King Kong (1962) #12 All-Time
9.60 million - Godzilla (1954) #19 All-Time
8.34 million - Godzilla Raids Again (1955) #26 All-Time
7.20 million - Godzilla vs. Mothra (1964) #41 All-Time
5.41 million - Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster (1964) #84 All-Time
5.21 million - Shin Godzilla (2016) [After 66 Days] #88 All-Time
5.13 million - Invasion of Astro-Monster (1965) #92 All-Time
4.21 million - Godzilla vs. The Sea Monster (1966)
4.20 million - Godzilla vs. Mothra (1992)
4.00 million - Godzilla vs. Destoroyah (1995)
3.90 million - Godzilla (1998) *Hollywood*
3.80 million - Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II (1993)
3.40 million - Godzilla vs. Space Godzilla (1994)
3.20 million - The Return of Godzilla (1984)
2.70 million - Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah (1991)
2.50 million - Destroy All Monsters (1968)
2.48 million - Son of Godzilla (1967)
2.40 million - Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack (2001)
2.23 million - Godzilla (2014) *Hollywood*
2.00 million - Godzlla vs. Biollante (1989)
2.00 million - Godzilla 2000 (1999)
1.78 million - Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)
1.74 million - Godzilla vs. Hedorah (1971)
1.70 million - Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla III (2002)
1.48 million - All Monsters Attack (1969)
1.35 million - Godzilla vs. Megaguirus (2000)
1.33 million - Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974)
1.20 million - Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S (2003)
1.00 million - Godzilla: Final Wars (2004)
0.98 million - Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973)
0.97 million - Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)
User avatar
angilas
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1238
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:59 am

Re: Shin Godzilla NON-SPOILER news and info

Postby lhb412 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:50 am

Crazy to think the film could end up with attendance only matched by the initial four films ('54-'64) in the franchise.

In related non-spoiler news: while I'm vaguely aware of all the main plot beats, I know that huge moments from the film are up (at least partially?) on places like Youtube and I'm pretty happy that I haven't given in and watched any of that! I've only seen the footage in the trailers.
User avatar
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 15650
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2003 7:11 pm

Re: Shin Godzilla NON-SPOILER news and info

Postby Psycho Soldier » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:17 am

Bought the soundtrack on iTunes. My opinion of it overall has softened -- I've gotten used to the idea of recycled themes, anyway -- but I'm confused about something else. A few of the tracks are shorter than the versions I've been listening to on YouTube. "Persecution..." is a full minute shorter (mostly because the G'54 sound effects are gone), I hear bits missing from "Black Angels," and "Fob_01" and "Who Will Know" have also been shortened by about 10-20 seconds each. I've been trying to find track times for the Japanese release, but haven't had any luck yet. Is anyone able to cross-reference the track times for the North American and Japanese versions of the OST? I'm not quite sure what the deal is here.
"Available for your home in 1995, only on Nintendo Ultra 64!"
User avatar
Psycho Soldier
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1469
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2003 5:11 pm
Location: Kaneda

Re: Shin Godzilla NON-SPOILER news and info

Postby Dai » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:34 am

Bruticus wrote:Bought the soundtrack on iTunes. My opinion of it overall has softened -- I've gotten used to the idea of recycled themes, anyway -- but I'm confused about something else. A few of the tracks are shorter than the versions I've been listening to on YouTube. "Persecution..." is a full minute shorter (mostly because the G'54 sound effects are gone), I hear bits missing from "Black Angels," and "Fob_01" and "Who Will Know" have also been shortened by about 10-20 seconds each. I've been trying to find track times for the Japanese release, but haven't had any luck yet. Is anyone able to cross-reference the track times for the North American and Japanese versions of the OST? I'm not quite sure what the deal is here.


I pulled this iTunes data from my copy of the Japanese CD version:
Image

The sound effects at the start of Persecution of the Masses only last 20 seconds, by the way.

EDIT: While we're talking about the soundtrack, has anyone else noticed that track 9 is actually two separate recordings of the same cue? The first half appears to be the archival one from the Terror of Mechagodzilla score, while the second half sounds like a new recording. The difference in dynamics and instrument placement is quite marked if you listen through headphones.
User avatar
Dai
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1061
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:07 pm
Location: UK

Re: Shin Godzilla NON-SPOILER news and info

Postby Psycho Soldier » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:28 pm

Right, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the irritating fade-out at the end of "Persecution." It starts way too soon and ends the track in an unsatisfactory way. I'm sure other edits were made to the track, but I found the absent effects and the fade-out most conspicuous.

For comparison, here's what the digital track listing looks like. Note that even though some tracks are shortened, "Omni_00" is actually longer:

Image
"Available for your home in 1995, only on Nintendo Ultra 64!"
User avatar
Psycho Soldier
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1469
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2003 5:11 pm
Location: Kaneda

Re: Shin Godzilla NON-SPOILER news and info

Postby Dai » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:04 pm

That is downright bizarre. It looks like they've butchered half the tracks on the iTunes version. The Japanese OST all fits on one CD, even with the added bonus tracks, so I wonder what the rationale is here. The only answer I can think of is if the US release uses the same master for all its formats, and the runtime of vinyl was the limiting factor. It's been so long since I've owned anything on vinyl that I don't know if that would be the case.
User avatar
Dai
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1061
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:07 pm
Location: UK

Re: Shin Godzilla NON-SPOILER news and info

Postby jellydonut25 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:52 pm

Spoiler-free thoughts:
I was on board for the first hour or so, MUCH more than I had thought I would be, goofy initial appearance and all.

The second half, is the worst hour of movie in Godzilla history. Unbelievably redundant, dull, convoluted, and the climax is terrible. I wound up not disliking it at all for the reasons I thought I would, and not QUITE as much as I thought I would, but for wholly different reasons, and still left a BAD taste in my mouth.
2/5, because I'm feeling generous and remembering the few parts I actually did really like.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
User avatar
jellydonut25
Controller
 
Posts: 18874
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:18 am
Location: Houston, TX via Buffalo, NY

PreviousNext

Return to Shin Godzilla and Beyond!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest