Suit or no suit?

Discussion on Shin Godzilla and rumors, news, and speculation on other possible future Godzilla projects, including the Godzilla Anime project! Discuss them here!

Moderator: Controllers

Re: Suit or no suit?

Postby planetxleader » Mon May 30, 2016 1:50 pm

I am earnestly excited based on the fact that I LOVED the two Attack on Titan movies, I love the design, and the trailer legitimately wowed me. The hints at behind-the-scenes drama is troubling, as are the problems with the giant prop, but the fact that the CG in the trailer fooled me is great. I know that Anno had to be talked into being the director, so there is probably a lot of tension, but making movies under soul-crushing stress seems normal for him. I don't see this like Final Wars, where there was just a complete lack of respect and apathy for the franchise and for the studio. Lots of films have drama behind-the-scenes.
"Vishnu takes on his multi-armed form, and says, "RAAAAAHHHOOO!!!'"
planetxleader
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Mon May 30, 2016 2:46 pm

Gargantuan Gargantua wrote:^^^ I know AoT was a giant turd and Higuchi definitely shouldn't be the sole director on any movie but I still enjoy his craft in the SFX world so I am not going to let AoT cheese this movie for me.

However given all the details slipping through the cracks I would say this movie would need some kind of miracle during it's production to not be a stink bomb. I went from joyful optimism to almost completely defeated. Everything I have learned about the movie makes me think this will be Final Wars successor.

I'm happy that so many people are excited, but I'm glad to see someone who isn't just drinking the "OMG NEW GRIMDARK GODZILLA" kool aid also. I honestly wish I was more excited for this film. I love the franchise so I'm still hoping to have my socks knocked off, but I can't just go along with the pack because it's Godzilla. And I say that as someone who is also a big Anno fan; and among better circumstances and conditions I actually think he's a perfect choice for director.

I'm not sure what this movie will bring us, but I want something better than what was previewed in that trailer. We'll see in a couple months.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby Gargantuan Gargantua » Mon May 30, 2016 2:56 pm

PS I love AoT P1 and P2 because of the Tokusatsu romp that it was but if I had to be completely honest if it wasn't for that element I'd say to hell with the movie.

It just bothers me that Anno and Higuchi get their stab at the iconic monster and it appears the works have been "mucked up" by Toho.

I assume the trailer was lack luster just like the AoT trailers didn't show dick until the 2nd or 3rd trailers.
Gargantuan Gargantua
Heisei Godzilla

Postby GFan » Mon May 30, 2016 5:08 pm

Gargantuan Gargantua wrote:PS I love AoT P1 and P2 because of the Tokusatsu romp that it was but if I had to be completely honest if it wasn't for that element I'd say to hell with the movie.

It just bothers me that Anno and Higuchi get their stab at the iconic monster and it appears the works have been "mucked up" by Toho.

I assume the trailer was lack luster just like the AoT trailers didn't show dick until the 2nd or 3rd trailers.

Toho has always been Godzilla's greatest adversary. :lol: Like, seriously, they CAN'T HELP but muck things up.
GFan
Burning Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Mon May 30, 2016 11:15 pm

MouthForWar wrote:Hearing how troubled this production has been, I share the skepticism. I never want a Godzilla movie to be bad, so I'll be hopeful. But between the BTS stories and what I found to be a very underwhelming trailer, I'm not jumping up and down with glee like a lot of people seem to be.

This.

I feel like this movie's news has been all down hill since, "Toho is making a new Godzilla movie."
Some of that is just because of me personally and my tastes (like the design), I'll admit, but a good deal of it is stuff that would give me pause on ANY movie.

I really would have thought that with the American film/series out there bringing in free money for Toho, they'd REALLY REALLY try to do it ABSOLUTELY ONE HUNDRED PERCENT right if they were going to attempt anything. Sadly, it seems like they're content to just cash-in on some renewed popularity.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby TerranigmaFreak » Mon May 30, 2016 11:35 pm

I don't know where I stand with this movie. I wasn't happy when they announced the 2 directors. Higuchi is good with special effect, and I can't take that away from him, but Anno is just a mess. While people have shown me this movie does have a longer production schedule compared to some of the other movies, it still doesn't feel like it's enough. I'm not expecting 2 years like a Hollywood movie, but maybe a year would be nice.

Now we're hearing stuff like the puppets failing twice, and more troubling comments from Norman. Yet I was so impressed by the CGI in the trailer even in it's unfinished state. That's why I started this thread in the first place. I just don't know.

Gargantuan Gargantua wrote:It just bothers me that Anno and Higuchi get their stab at the iconic monster and it appears the works have been "mucked up" by Toho.

What's this about Toho mucking up the movie? I haven't heard anything. Only negative comments were directed at the directors and their failures.
TerranigmaFreak
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Henry88 » Mon May 30, 2016 11:46 pm

What's this about Toho mucking up the movie? I haven't heard anything.

yes,could some one shed some light on this.
ROBOT CO-OP IS GAMING COMEDY
https://robotco-op.com/
Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Tue May 31, 2016 11:45 am

Well aside from the problems with the effects and having to resort to using CG because their main puppets failed all of its effects tests, Toho were also unhappy with the human portions of the film and script and had to go over budget for reshoots. They had to do a lot to get this movie in on time and it seems like some of they quality of the movie may have suffered. I don't think Toho is necessarily to blame. The technicians couldn't get their puppets working and Toho weren't happy with some things and wanted reshoots. also whether or not that was for better or worse will be something we have to wait and find out. However, I get the feeling Higuchi and Anno probably didn't have all the tools and resources and time that they may have hoped for. I can't necessarily blame Toho for wanting their movie out on time, but there's also something to say for your props failing two FX tests.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby MekaGojira3k » Tue May 31, 2016 11:50 am

Problems or no, This thing still feels as though its had more time/effort put into it than any Godzilla film Toho has done since....um...forever?

Honda and crew had the effort but not the time. So I'm still excited.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Tue May 31, 2016 12:16 pm

On the flip side, Mad Max Fury Road overcame a troubled Production and lackluster screen tests to show up on a number of top 10 lists for the year.
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Gargantuan Gargantua » Tue May 31, 2016 2:12 pm

I might have had a slight reflex when saying Toho was messing with things because the puppet fiasco has nothing to do with them.

I badly want to see these bombed puppet tests just out of curiosity or at least find out what did not work about them.

*ps I bet Anno really wishes he didn't accept the job. :?
Gargantuan Gargantua
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Tue May 31, 2016 3:18 pm

Gargantuan Gargantua wrote:*ps I bet Anno really wishes he didn't accept the job. :?

Eh, I doubt that. I really don't know, failed puppet or no, why everyone resorts to doom and gloom. ESPECIALLY when we have this and legendary stuff going on. Let's just see what happens and enjoy the ride.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:34 pm

MouthForWar wrote:I'm happy that so many people are excited, but I'm glad to see someone who isn't just drinking the "OMG NEW GRIMDARK GODZILLA" kool aid also. I honestly wish I was more excited for this film. I love the franchise so I'm still hoping to have my socks knocked off, but I can't just go along with the pack because it's Godzilla. And I say that as someone who is also a big Anno fan; and among better circumstances and conditions I actually think he's a perfect choice for director.

I remain cautiously optimistic. After a few decades of Toho making Godzilla films most notable for being bland and cheap I like that they've actually got two established creative types spearheading the thing, an impressive stable of actors, and seemingly more time and money (even if rushed by our standards as well as coupled with a potentially chaotic production) tied up in it. It's not that I'm expecting a classic like Mothra vs. Godzilla or Gamera 2 (or even my new favorite, the underrated Gamera the Brave), but, well, Toho has lowered my expectations so much in the '90s and '00s that I feel it can't help but be an improvement in some respects, or at the very least a failure that's interesting with some exciting features.

As for excitement: I can't help but be excited for a new Godzilla film. I'd be excited for Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla if that was coming out right now!

PS - Speaking of a physical prop for Godzilla's head: wasn't Miner's proposed Godzilla 3D gonna have a practical Godzilla head designed by Rick Baker in addition to the stop motion Godzilla?
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Gman2887 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:25 pm

lhb412 wrote:I remain cautiously optimistic. After a few decades of Toho making Godzilla films most notable for being bland and cheap I like that they've actually got two established creative types spearheading the thing, an impressive stable of actors, and seemingly more time and money (even if rushed by our standards as well as coupled with a potentially chaotic production) tied up in it. It's not that I'm expecting a classic like Mothra vs. Godzilla or Gamera 2 (or even my new favorite, the underrated Gamera the Brave), but, well, Toho has lowered my expectations so much in the '90s and '00s that I feel it can't help but be an improvement in some respects, or at the very least a failure that's interesting with some exciting features.

Pretty much this. Even if it ends up being a bummer at the very least it feels like there's some effort here. Not that there hasn't been before, but you'd have to make a pretty compelling argument for most of the last 25-30 years.
Gman2887
Burning Godzilla

Postby Henry88 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:46 pm

MekaGojira3k wrote:
Gargantuan Gargantua wrote:*ps I bet Anno really wishes he didn't accept the job. :?

Eh, I doubt that. I really don't know, failed puppet or no, why everyone resorts to doom and gloom. ESPECIALLY when we have this and legendary stuff going on. Let's just see what happens and enjoy the ride.

it's one of the great mysteries of fandom.
ROBOT CO-OP IS GAMING COMEDY
https://robotco-op.com/
Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby tbeasley » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:06 pm

Very similar to the Colossal Titan -
~ Tyler

Exterminate all rational thought.
tbeasley
Heisei Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:13 pm

But how much was it used, I wonder? There are a few closeups that appear to be a physical prop in the various clips we've seen.

... you know, I have a theory: one of the reasons the original Jurassic Park's dinosaurs are so effective is not only because of the physical animatronics and suits, but because of how well those elements and the CGI are mixed together. When you're subjected to the same type of effect over and over again you begin to catch on to it, but when you vary between the effects it confuses the eye and mixes up the part of your brain trying to deduce the 'trick.'
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby TerranigmaFreak » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:35 am

Nice!

Yeah, I do wonder if they were able to salvage the puppet for a few shots?
TerranigmaFreak
Heisei Godzilla

Postby tbeasley » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:33 am

This was close-up posted in one of the other threads but I'll throw it here too -

But it's looking like no suit -
~ Tyler

tbeasley
Heisei Godzilla

Postby tbeasley » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:44 am

Shin Godzilla was played via motion capture by actor Mansai Nomura.

http://raffleupagus.tumblr.com/post/148 ... capture-by
~ Tyler

tbeasley
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Outkaster » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:20 am

Cool stuff
Joined in 2001.
Outkaster
Godzilla

Postby Hybrid Gojira » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:26 pm

Ed G posted on FB that the animatronic puppet was not used for the film - something we already knew, but this would be another source stating it.
Kaiju Transmissions Podcast Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/kaijutransmissionspodcast
Hybrid Gojira
Burning Godzilla

BRINGING GODZILLA DOWN TO SIZE The Monster Suit Actors

Postby mr.negativity » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:10 am

THR:
Classic Godzilla Actors Recall Horror Stories from Wearing the Suit: "We Risked Our Lives"
The gritty details of a 2008 documentary are worth revisiting in the wake of 'Kong: Skull Island.'
Patrick Shanley wrote:With King Kong making his return to theaters this weekend in Kong: Skull Island, Heat Vision decided to look back at the other King of Monsters across the Pacific.

Since 1954, Godzilla has wrought havoc upon Japan and inspired perhaps the biggest following of any movie monster. However, in the pre-CGI era, the actual process of bringing the character to life was an enormous challenge for the actors inside those rubber suits.

In 2008, Toho Entertainment, the Japanese production company responsible for Godzilla's films, teamed with American filmmakers to produce the documentary Bringing Godzilla Down to Size: The Art of Japanese Special Effects. The doc featured in-depth interviews with the living actors who had donned the legendary rubber suit and brought everyone’s favorite reptilian demigod to life on the big screen.

It's worth revisiting (see video at the bottom of the post).

Haruo Nakajima, the original suit actor to portray Godzilla in 1954’s Gojira, Kenpachiro Satsuma, who began his career playing Godzilla opponents such as Gigan and Hedorah in the '70s before stepping into the leading role in 1984’s The Return of Godzilla, and Tsutomu Kitigawa, who first wore the suit in 1999’s Godzilla 2000, all discussed their unique characterization of Japan’s most notorious colossus.

"My biggest influence came from bears," Nakajima explained. "The way bears move is very interesting."

As one might expect, bringing a rampaging monster to life is often a perilous job, and the three men regaled viewers with tales of the unseen pitfalls that come with destroying a model set of Japan. “The effects crew pays close attention to every detail,” Satsuma said of the model environments. “So the set should break easily, right? Well, it’s not so easy!”

Nakajima recalled destroying a constructed castle miniature that cost over 500,000 yen, twice his salary for the film, while Satsuma said that "the set took the crew 23 hours to build [and] I ruined it in 10 minutes."

The suit itself also offered a unique set of challenges for the actors. “You can’t breathe well inside the suit, so an oxygen tube is attached,” Kitigawa explained. “But it’s removed during takes. Sometimes I started suffocating and had to stop filming.”

“The original suit weighed 100 kilos (220 lbs.),” said Nakajima. “With all that weight, I couldn’t move much.”

Nakajima also recalled working in freezing temperatures in the “Big Pool,” a large water tank used for filming ocean scenes, in which the actor had to work in an “ice bath” all day long. Satsuma shared the older Zilla’s concerns with the “Big Pool”, recalling the “gunk piled all over” the bottom. “And I know people peed in there,” he added.

Even more harrowing was Kitigawa’s experience of being forced underwater by a crane. “I was standing by. The oxygen tube was attached, the crane started to move. As I went down the tube came off,” Kitigawa said. “I screamed, ‘Stop! I can’t breathe!’ But they kept pushing me into the water. Because of the danger, those shots were stopped. I never want to do that again.”

“We risked our lives in that water,” Satsuma added.

Yet, the actors were also responsible for so much of the evolution of the suits' designs. "I went to the special effects studio everyday," said Nakajima. "I'd suggest a slit here, a slit there."

Kitigawa got even more technical in his suggestions to make Godzilla more mobile. "To improve the suit's flexibility I prepared data for the suitmakers, just like an F-1 racer," the actor recalled. "The suit for Godzilla: Final Wars was the most flexible ever."

The suit itself was sculpted out of rubber and fiberglass, designer Shinichi Wakasa explained. "I feel passion for this work," said Wakasa. "That's why I'm still here."
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:17 pm

tbeasley wrote:This was close-up posted in one of the other threads but I'll throw it here too -
Spoiler Below:

But it's looking like no suit -
Spoiler Below:

Twitter:
Spoiler Below:

Spoiler Below:
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:48 pm

FYI to anyone hotlinking Twitter images: they don't display at all for people who don't use Twitter, at least they don't for me. If you're seeing the images in your own posts it's probably because your browser still has them cached after viewing them on Twitter. This is how the above post looks on my computer's Firefox browser, and this is how Twitter-linked images always look on this message board to me:

^ I uploaded that image with Photobucket, a website which becomes as bearable as it was ten years ago if you use AdBlock Plus.

Those photos are really cool though. That looks like the prop we saw in the leaked images in late 2015 and early 2016. That August 23, 2015 watermark suggests this is footage of the screen tests they did with this prop before they decided to only use CGI for Godzilla.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

PreviousNext

Return to Shin Godzilla and Beyond!