[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
Godzilla Resurgence and Godzilla 1954 • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

Godzilla Resurgence and Godzilla 1954

Discussion on Shin Godzilla and rumors, news, and speculation on other possible future Godzilla projects, including the Godzilla Anime project! Discuss them here!

Moderator: Controllers

Godzilla Resurgence and Godzilla 1954

Postby lhb412 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:55 pm

Honestly, saying "we're going back to the original 1954 Godzilla for inspiration" bores me at this point because it's so often said. It's been an oft-repeated mantra by anyone behind something Godzilla related probably ever since the Showa series ended and the many revival attempts began. Despite being the stated M.O. of most Godzilla films for the past 30 years it's pretty much always superficial, ending up as either lip service or at most just manifesting in a few scenes (like in Godzilla 2014).

But now I'm beginning to be pretty interested in the idea of Godzilla Resurgence going back to 1954 for inspiration, because it feels like this may be the first film to actually tackle that in earnest since The Return of Godzilla's straightforward, if nowhere near as impactful, attempt. I mean, we know hardly anything about the film aside from "Godzilla vs. Japan," but seeing that Godzilla's design reflects pre-production concepts and designs from '54 is fascinating. I've got this strage sensation of anticipating something that I was initially blasé about!

Are there any things from 1954 that you'd really like to see reprised? I'd like to see the practical effects of Godzilla's radiation addressed: making people sick, areas being quarantined. It's an interesting idea that's rarely used.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Re: Godzilla Resurgence and Godzilla 1954

Postby Gargantuan Gargantua » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:04 pm

I have little reassurance that Shin-Gojira is going to be hitting the nail on the head as far what Gojira brought to the table as social commentary. I'm sure we will see people die by the truck loads in this movie but the only thing I have seen that is a tip of the hat to G'54 is the design itself. It's a mutated version of the hand puppet (which I'm fine with). I have a feeling there will be more than just radiation brought on by humans in this version.

I'd like to see the overall negative effect it would have on people surviving it which G'54 had but who knows.
Gargantuan Gargantua
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Outkaster » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:33 pm

Well I think since they went for the child like Godzilla films later in the early series people often associate that notion with him if you are over age 30. To go back to the 1954 Godzilla concept is something most average people don't know about, the social political themes the original had. It will be a hard movie to make to address those issues and be fun which is what some people want I think.
Joined in 2001.
Outkaster
Godzilla

Postby mbozzo » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:21 pm

I haven't seen Godzilla: Resurgence yet. I can't compare it to the 1954 version of Godziila for now. :oops:
mbozzo
Godzilla

Return to Shin Godzilla and Beyond!