Godzilla Resurgence (2016)

Discussion on Shin Godzilla and rumors, news, and speculation on other possible future Godzilla projects, including the Godzilla Anime project! Discuss them here!

Moderator: Controllers

Re: Godzilla Resurgence (2016)

Postby Mac » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:40 pm

Another review, again, the translation is garbled, but the reviewer calls the film an unprecedented masterpiece and compares it to The Thing.

http://sp.ro69.jp/blog/cut/145901
The new Gamera will be worse than Super Monster.
Mac
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Rodan » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:57 pm

Mac wrote:Another review, again, the translation is garbled, but the reviewer calls the film an unprecedented masterpiece and compares it to The Thing.

http://sp.ro69.jp/blog/cut/145901

I believe the "Thing' comparison is the result of poor automated translation (I don't see the title anywhere in the Japanese text, and breaking it apart with piecemeal translation and my limited Japanese knowledge leads me to believe it mistook "quality of being a movie" for "thing" and awkwardly capitalized it and placed it at the end of a sentence when it had to handle the whole chunk of text at once).

Regardless, that's a glowing review. It does indeed call it an "unprecedented masterpiece."
Rodan
Godzillasaurus

Postby Moonlight SY-3 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:03 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:
lhb412 wrote:I kinda like the idea of a potential new series just being them giving Godzilla to various creatives and saying 'make it your own!'

Moonlight SY-3 wrote:These recent spoilers actually seem kinda cool to me.

Zack Metoyer wrote:As for the rumors -- bring it on. All of it.

Rodan wrote:I'd be perfectly happy if they were all true.

That's four out of the 7 or 8 people frequenting this thread.

This is from a few pages back, but yeah Jelly, you're right, there were some positive comments...including my own! Sorry, missed them when I reviewed before posting.

Still, none are proclaiming them as "brilliant" or "awesome" (unless I missed those, too!).

As Mouth mentioned, maybe that's going on over at TK or other sites, but I only visit here, so I have no idea what's going on over there. Here, I don't see anyone giving Toho a pass on all the possible weirdness whilst lambasting the Legendary Godzilla. Still seems like the new G is getting the most heat, and hatred.

Very happy to see that the early reviews are good! Only 6 days away now...
~Brian
Moonlight SY-3
Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:31 am

Gargantuan Gargantua wrote:Image

The squat, frog-ish nature of Godzilla in this art reminds me of Mike Mignola's contribution to the Godzilla Portfolio that Dark Horse put out in the late '80s.

lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Moonlight SY-3 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:06 am

lhb412 wrote:
Gargantuan Gargantua wrote:Image

The squat, frog-ish nature of Godzilla in this art reminds me of Mike Mignola's contribution to the Godzilla Portfolio that Dark Horse put out in the late '80s.

What's that supposed to be in the lower left section of the Mignola picture? A train?
~Brian
Moonlight SY-3
Godzilla

Postby angilas » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:25 am

angilas wrote:I know there are many mixed feelings on the coming film. I for one have yet to be disappointed by anything higuchi has laid hands on (with the exception of screen time for Gamera in G3) and think in the worst case we will have a movie with some very cool shots that is a disappointing what could have been from time to time because they were rushed. Anno and higuchi did a good job with the Eva films (haven't seen AoT though I've been reading the manga for some time now)

I had a feeling I might one day come to regret that quote. Finally got around to watching those AoT live action bluray's I ordered when Shin Gojira came out, and this is probably the most horrible thing you can say about a film...it makes Dragonball Evolution look like a decent live action anime adaption. This was beyond bad. Worse yet I wasn't alone but after we couldn't get the Furious 7 bluray I bought to work, I dragged a love interest through the first 3/4ths of it until she couldn't stands it no more. Funny enough she actually enjoyed the Gamera Trilogy years ago so I didn't have the heard to tell her this was from the same spfx director. Good luck getting her to watch anything remotely non-hollywood that wouldn't be at an indie film fest for a while. Please keep him out of the actual director's chair unless Anno/Kaneko etc have control. Last time I order a movie before reading the reviews on rotten tomatoes/imdb. Now to wash my eyeballs out with season 2 of aot so I remember its actually good.
angilas
Heisei Godzilla

Postby EricDent » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:49 pm

Any word on any US physical store having this in stock on Tuesday?
IE Best Buy, Target, Wallmart, etc?
Toho's Godzilla Will Live Forever!
EricDent
Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:46 pm

^WalMart is supposed to have it. Previous Funimation live action films (Attack on Titan, Kenshin) were stocked in stores, and this is Godzilla, a much bigger name, so I imagine they'll make it pretty easy to find.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby swfreakjpb » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:52 am

Loved the GALAXY EXPRESS cameo :wink: FLYNG TRAIN !!!!!!!!! :lol:
Joined in 1997

"Godzilla doesn't give a crap about France" (Tom Green)

Where's a Giant Monster when you need one?
swfreakjpb
Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:19 pm

Moonlight SY-3 wrote:What's that supposed to be in the lower left section of the Mignola picture? A train?

Yeah, I've been wondering what that's supposed to be for 19 years.

Actually, in keeping with Mignola, there's a recurring image near the end of Hellboy: Wake the Devil that Mignola keeps cutting to and I still have no idea what it was supposed to be. I actually wrote to the letters column asking what it was, my letter was published in a BPRD issue, and my question wasn't answered!
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Previous

Return to Shin Godzilla and Beyond!