Toho Launches Gojikon (Godzilla Strategy Council)

Discussion on Shin Godzilla and rumors, news, and speculation on other possible future Godzilla projects, including the Godzilla Anime project! Discuss them here!

Moderator: Controllers

Re: Toho Launches Gojikon (Godzilla Strategy Council)

Postby klen7 » Mon May 21, 2018 9:25 am

^ The Gargantuas have been getting a lot more attention from Toho merchandising in the past year, so maybe?
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Gman2887 » Mon May 21, 2018 12:48 pm

I still want Takashi Yamazaki to take a stab at it. The part of me that loves Ultraman X wants Taguchi to get a chance as well. But the half of me that loathes Orb doesn't.
Gman2887
Burning Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Mon May 21, 2018 2:04 pm

^ i think that is a very realistic option. When Toho announced a new Godzilla film (Shin Godzilla) they were saying they wanted to do something like Parasyte
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Mon May 21, 2018 2:23 pm

klen7 wrote:Taguchi and Miike both have my vote. Love and Peace is fine but every other Sono film I have seen has been excessively misogynistic to the point that they are hard to watch at times.

Huh. I've only seen Love and Peace.

klen7 wrote:^ i think that is a very realistic option. When Toho announced a new Godzilla film (Shin Godzilla) they were saying they wanted to do something like Parasyte

I'd say he's on the top of the likelihood list. He was August Ragone's best guess before Anno and Higuchi were announced for Shin.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Mon May 21, 2018 2:31 pm

I've seen Cold Fish and Why Don't You Play in Hell and wouldn't ascribe that description to them...

MAAAYBBEE Cold Fish, but it's also a movie about serial killings so I took pretty much everything awful in that movie as just like, painting an awful portrait of awful people, and kinda the POINT.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby klen7 » Mon May 21, 2018 3:25 pm

"Tokyo Tribe" starts out with one of the most gratuitous rape scenes I have seen in any film, which is played highly sexualized and has no bearing of any sort on any character or plot point. "Love Exposure" romanticizes non-consensual up-skirt photography. "Tag" is one long montage of violent objectification of school girls.

I don't remember any of the female characters in "Why Don't You Go Play in Hell" and haven't seen Cold Fish (which also apparently features a rape scene) but at this point I have stopped seeking out his movies.
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Mon May 21, 2018 3:38 pm

Hm. I haven't seen those movies, so I guess it just depends which of his films you've seen.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby klen7 » Mon May 21, 2018 4:44 pm

Tag and Toyko Tribe were both on Netflix, might still be there. Tokyo Tribe is a rap musical and Tag is hard to classify. Much like Play in Hell, the films seem to relish in excess.
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Mon May 21, 2018 8:43 pm

My wants are simple from Toho's new Godzilla movies: more money, time, and talent invested in them. For too many decades Toho has been doing the bare minimum with the series, and what I want is for them to invest in quality.

Getting Anno and Higuchi for Shin Godzilla and giving them space along with taking a chance on the anime co-production are exactly the kind of behaviors I want to see continue.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Henry88 » Tue May 22, 2018 11:58 am

with superheroes still being on top of the global box office perhaps they might consider bringing back a heroic Godzilla.
ROBOT CO-OP IS GAMING COMEDY
https://robotco-op.com/
Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby daikaijusaurus » Tue May 22, 2018 12:18 pm

This is just wishful thinking on my part and will probably never happen, but it would be cool if they continued from the hesei series with an adult Godzilla Junior. If they are to bring back a heroic Godzilla, this would make the most sense since junior was raised with humans as a baby. It would also be nice to see Miki Sagousa back.

Unfortunately, I don't think Toho will allow the filmmakers to take their time. Toho is always famous for their rushed production schedule and small budget for their films and I don't think that's every going to change. Even with Shin Godzilla Higuchi and Anno were under enormous pressure to get the film finished because of the small production schedule and limited budget. I don't remember the exact amount, but I think Shin Godzilla had a very small budget, even smaller than most of the millennium films.
daikaijusaurus
Godzilla Jr.

Postby eabaker » Tue May 22, 2018 7:20 pm

daikaijusaurus wrote:This is just wishful thinking on my part and will probably never happen, but it would be cool if they continued from the hesei series with an adult Godzilla Junior. If they are to bring back a heroic Godzilla, this would make the most sense since junior was raised with humans as a baby. It would also be nice to see Miki Sagousa back.

The Heisei series has an ending, though. I don't see any reason to re-open the book once it's been closed.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Psycho Soldier » Tue May 22, 2018 8:00 pm

eabaker wrote:
daikaijusaurus wrote:This is just wishful thinking on my part and will probably never happen, but it would be cool if they continued from the hesei series with an adult Godzilla Junior. If they are to bring back a heroic Godzilla, this would make the most sense since junior was raised with humans as a baby. It would also be nice to see Miki Sagousa back.

The Heisei series has an ending, though. I don't see any reason to re-open the book once it's been closed.

Plus, it's been over twenty years since Destoroyah, and I have trouble imagining anyone outside the fandom cares about reopening it. We know it won't happen anyway (barring some fanboy seizing the reins of the franchise), but I put the Adventures of Junior on the same pile as Bagan: nice idea, but too much time has passed for me to care.
"Available for your home in 1995, only on Nintendo Ultra 64!"
Psycho Soldier
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Gman2887 » Thu May 24, 2018 8:38 pm

daikaijusaurus wrote:I don't remember the exact amount, but I think Shin Godzilla had a very small budget, even smaller than most of the millennium films.

$15 million. More than the Millennium movies with the exception of Final Wars--Still the most expensive Toho Godzilla film to date.
Gman2887
Burning Godzilla

Postby JordanGLC » Thu May 31, 2018 12:30 am

Their interest in doing this has to be fueled by Godzilla's rise in popularity worldwide.. I wonder if they'd be open to a financial partner like Legendary to pump up the budgets in exchange for some international distribution rights?
Let those who worship evil's might, beware my power...

My Creature Features
JordanGLC
Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:38 am

^Perhaps someone closer to home: a partner from another Asian country? That's becoming a lot more common these days, right?

Of course, it'd be nice to have a US partner simply because that's where I live and it'd be nice to know where our Toho movies are coming from!
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Re: Godzilla Fes 2018

Postby mr.negativity » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:43 am

THR 10/25/2018:
Tokyo Fest Celebrates Godzilla's 64th Birthday, With No Retirement in Sight
Gavin J. Blair wrote:The latest film in the classic monster franchise will close this year's festival.
Godzilla reaches pensionable age in 2019, which will mark 65 years since the release of the first film in the iconic franchise. But the King of Monsters is not quite ready for retirement yet.

Nov. 3, the release date of Ishiro Honda's 1954 original classic, has been designated Godzilla's birthday, and it will be doubly commemorated this year in the city the monster first stomped all over so many years ago.

The Tokyo International Film Festival (TIFF) will close on Nov. 3 with Godzilla: The Planet Eater, the final part of an animated trilogy produced by Toho Animation and Polygon Pictures for Netflix. Co-directors Kobun Shizuno and Hiroyuki Seshita walked the opening red carpet on Oct. 25 with two of the voice cast and a rubber-suited Godzilla that harked back to the early films.

The closing film will screen at the Tokyo International Forum, also featuring appearances by the directors and voice cast.

Across the road at the recently opened Hibiya Midtown complex, the newest TIFF venue, the so-called Godzilla Fes 2018 will be held on the same day. The event will feature some of the suits from the original films, a large array of merchandise, a talk show from people involved in the productions over the years and more attractions.

Released less than a decade after the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and in the same year a boatload of Japanese fishermen suffered radiation poisoning from a U.S. nuclear test at Bikini Atoll, the impact of the original Godzilla reflected the fears of the time. In the film, the prehistoric monster was stirred and strengthened by radiation, but Godzilla was seen by many as a metaphor for nuclear weapons.

The iconic franchise has so far run to 34 films – three of those being Hollywood productions – which have seen Godzilla take on a menagerie of foes, including monsters, giant robots, human armies and King Kong.

Honda's 1962 King Kong vs. Godzilla was a huge hit, bringing the two legendary monsters together, both in wide-screen and color for the first time. It sold more than 11.2 million tickets in Japan and a further 1.2 million in re-release runs in later years. Its success convinced Toho to turn Godzilla into a franchise and release a new film every year.

In total, Godzilla films have sold more than 111 million tickets in Japan, making it the most-watched cinematic franchise in the country until it was overtaken in 2013 by Doraemon, an animated "cat-type robot."

But there is still life in the old monster.

Legendary Pictures has Godzilla: King of the Monsters, directed by Michael Dougherty. slated for release next year and Godzilla vs. Kong by Adam Wingard due in 2020. Once the licensing deal with Legendary ends in 2020, Toho is planning a series of reboots set in a cinematic universe populated by monsters from its roster.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Russzilla » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:28 am

That last sentence has me real curious.
Russzilla
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:20 am

^ That last sentence is just extrapolating from what was reported back in May. Gormaru Island on Facebook posted a translation of an article from the Japanese Nikkei Style entertainment magazine, an interview with Keiji Ota, Toho's Chief Godzilla Officer (actual job title... only at Toho).

Some key points from the translation:

Meanwhile in both 2019 and 2020 the baton will be passed down to the Hollywood version, then after 2021, we're thinking of a potential strategy that publishes Godzilla movies uninterrupted at a rate of ever 2 years, although there is a preference for a yearly pace as well.

-------------------------------

The future of the series and its forwarding developments are very conscious of the method of "shared universe". Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah, etc. could all share a single world view much like a Marvel movie where Ironman and The Hulk can crossover with each other.

It is said that each movie can be a possible film production where any one of them could lead a film of their own as the titular character.

-------------------------------

"Shin Godzilla" was a huge hit, but instead of thinking of doing the obvious idea of making a "Shin · Godzilla 2", instead think about a world that can be used for a long time, I'd rather make a World of Godzilla

For example, in the year when Mothra was featured, commercialization centered around Mothra.

Commercialization is not limited to just figures, but also from daily necessities to apparel, games and so on. There are various things, so I would like to use Godzilla steadily.

To be clear, Toho has not officially announced any specific monster reboot films for 2021 or beyond. Right now they're just doing a lot of brainstorming about the future.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:16 am

Toho has no plans. They just see the dollar signs and want more.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby lhb412 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:39 pm

^ I mean, 'make a series of interconnected Godzilla films' sounds like a plan.

Of course, it has always been the plan for 60+ years at this point. It's not a new plan. They intend to go forward with the same plan.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:13 am

If your argument is they're sticking with the "same plan" then the argument is that they have NO plan...because they never have.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby lhb412 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:14 am

It's like 12% of a plan.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:09 am

lhb412 wrote:It's like 12% of a plan.

Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Henry88 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:59 pm

hopefully, king of the monsters and Godzilla vs kong will make big money at the box office and spare us from more of toho's oddball decisions as of late because the one thing that sways them is tons of money to swim around in.
ROBOT CO-OP IS GAMING COMEDY
https://robotco-op.com/
Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla

PreviousNext

Return to Shin Godzilla and Beyond!