Toho Launches Gojikon (Godzilla Strategy Council)

Discussion on Shin Godzilla and rumors, news, and speculation on other possible future Godzilla projects, including the Godzilla Anime project! Discuss them here!

Moderator: Controllers

Re: Toho Launches Gojikon (Godzilla Strategy Council)

Postby jellydonut25 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:13 pm

lhb412 wrote:This is a different kind of reaction than the one from GINO: that film was so reviled by fans who disowned that creature as anything close to Godzilla. Toho simply had to bring back a more authentic Godzilla. Legendary's Godzilla has been accepted by fans. Even those who were more than critical about the film thought Godzilla was great. The main complaint is that they wanted more of Godzilla. Toho can't simply fill a vacuum after a failure, they have to compete with a creative success accepted by fans.

hmmm...where is the "like" button?
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby mr.negativity » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:23 pm

Godzilla welcomed in Tokyo _ to lure visitors, not to scare
The irradiated monster was appointed special resident and tourism ambassador for Shinjuku ward, known for its down-home bars and noodle restaurants.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:16 am

Japan’s Toho To Seek Remake, Co-financing Opportunities
Patrick Frater wrote:Toho, Japan’s leading film studio, is to spread its wings with an expansion of its international activities into remakes and co-financing.

“As a strategic first step to expanding and strengthening the global operations, Toho will be committed to the intellectual property it represents by connecting it to adaptation opportunities and financing its production,” the company said in a statement. “Toho intends to grow the business and bolster the presence of Japanese IP.”

It has appointed existing Toho executives, director, Hiroyasu Matsuoka to oversee the division and Yukio Kotaki as general manager.

Toho’s international sales business has to date largely focused on licensing its motion picture, animation and character properties.

The new emphasis on making its entertainment properties go further reflects the government’s drive to export Japanese culture further, efforts by other companies with Japanese IP, and Toho’s 83-year film industry legacy and its strong finances.

Toho is internationally best known for its 28 film “Godzilla” series. The franchise last year saw Warner Bros release a Hollywood remake, directed by Gareth Edwards, which grossed $529 million worldwide. That in turn has given rise to another now-in-development Warner sequel and caused Toho to revive plans for its own Godzilla, to be directed by Hideaki Anno and Shinji Higuchi, and released in 2016.

The policy takes immediate effect and will see the new team make their market debut next month in Cannes.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Fri May 13, 2016 4:12 am

Variety:
Japan’s ‘Production Committee’ Filmmaking Has Critics Grousing About Groupthink
Brett Bull wrote:Social media was abuzz in April after producer and distributor Adam Torel of Third Window Films told the Sankei Shimbun newspaper that the quality of movies made in Japan had fallen low.

One of his points was that the so-called “production committee” system, whereby multiple partners invest in a film project, results in a highly conservative product since a director is under the watch of multiple corporate interests.

In spite of its critics — and Torel is not alone — this long-held system is not fading; rather, it might be gaining steam as players in the market continue to benefit from the process.

The pooling of so many companies together (possibly up to 12) provides the system’s greatest rewards: easier access to finance and the spreading of risk. But, as Torel implied, it may also end in a bland production.

There is, however, no disputing the results at the Japanese box office. For 2015, revenues from domestic films exceeded those from foreign movies for the eighth year in a row. Three committee films made the top 10 among Japan’s box office grossers in 2015: “The Boy and the Beast,” “Hero,” and “Detective Conan: Sunflowers of Inferno.” All surpassed 1 billion yen ($9.34 million) domestically, a key number for success, though none did strong business abroad.

Yet Japan’s trade ministry has increasingly sought in recent years to derive more overseas revenue from the country’s entertainment content, especially films. However, the complicated production committee system can pose a stumbling block regarding decision-making, especially in tapping ancillary markets.
Yoshiki Takahashi, a writer for film magazine Eiga Hiho, says that it is not a matter of Japan’s system being broken; instead, it is about the domestic market being top priority.

“One can say that there is this idea that Japanese movies have a unique form of expression, but that doesn’t mean they satisfy what is expected globally,” he says. “To make a successful movie overseas, I think it would be necessary to target this expectation. However, this idea is not shared within the Japanese film industry.”

The committee behind a film can arise from the progression of a property from one medium to another. The publisher and commercial broadcaster behind a franchise’s previous run as a comic and television series typically get seats on the committee. For example, in March, distributor Gaga announced it was venturing into production with multiple partners for the making of “Itazura na Kiss — The Movie,” a live-action film based on a popular 1990s manga series.

“We thought it could be successful from a business standpoint,” says Koji Hyakutake, the chief operating officer of Gaga. “The story is popular not only in Japan, but also across Asia, including in South Korea, Taiwan and Thailand. It started as a manga, then it became a TV drama and an animation, but it has never been a movie.”

One company working to ease this process is All Nippon Entertainment Works, which has partnered with Imagine Entertainment for a live-action adaptation of the animation “Tiger & Bunny.” “Japanese companies have too often just been ‘rights holders,’ where projects are optioned with no further involvement from the Japanese creators,” says CEO Sandy Climan. “ANEW finances the development of projects where there is a true partnership between the Japanese rights holders and the U.S. producing partners.”

Film Business Asia Fri, 30 October 2015:
Fixing Japanese cinema's image problem

3 reasons Japanese movies today suck, according to distributor and producer Adam Torel
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:16 pm

So, I can't find this verified by anybody - but fan circles are saying there's news out of the Gojikon thingy that Toho intends to resume regular production of Godzilla movies after 2020 as well as spin-offs for other monsters?

Anybody have more info?
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:38 pm

Anybody?

Is this another 'Anno confirmed for Shin Godzilla 2' style miscommunication?
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:18 pm

Where did you hear about it?
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:42 pm

After an exhaustive search of a few minutes I see that it seems to source from this Japanese fella claiming it comes from a new interview from an entertainment magazine:

https://twitter.com/nakazawatakeshi/sta ... 7556368384

rough Google Translate gets the point across:

In the latest issue of "Nikkei Entertainment!" (April issue), Godzygon responded to the interview, but according to it Toho is one in 2 years after the "Godzilla VS Cong" in 2020, if possible It seems that he wants to keep releasing new works of Godzilla at a pace of one year.

In this interview, the concept of a spin-off work with the main character of Mothra and King Ghydora is also told.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Mac » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:44 pm

Wasn't that obvious though? Toho made more money with Shin Godzilla than they're probably getting out of the Legendary deal. As soon as Kong vs Godzilla is over Toho's going to go all in with their own films and hope the hype hasn't died from Shin Godzilla.
The new Gamera will be worse than Super Monster.
Mac
Heisei Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:14 pm

It’s kinda sad that Toho getting back in the Godzilla game is my less preferred option to an American studio continuing.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Gwangi » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:15 pm

What happens if "G vs. K" becomes not only a critical hit, but the biggest financial feature in the Monsterverse? You know that Legendary and Warner Brothers are going to want a little more a piece of this pie (probably more so WB, since their D.C. thing is not going as planned). One can bet that negotiations will occur.
Gwangi
Heisei Godzilla

Postby daikaijusaurus » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:38 pm

Exactly what I was thinking. Godzilla Vs Kong has the potential of being a monstrous hit, and if it does, Toho and Legendary need to come to some kind of agreement to continue both their series at the same time. Personally, I'm not too thrilled about Toho's movies at this point. While I enjoyed Shin Godzilla, I'm not looking forward to any sequels.
daikaijusaurus
Godzilla Jr.

Postby Henry88 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:15 pm

perhaps Toho and Legendary can co-produce godzilla movies together like in the old days with aip.
ROBOT CO-OP IS GAMING COMEDY
https://robotco-op.com/
Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:33 pm

daikaijusaurus wrote:Exactly what I was thinking. Godzilla Vs Kong has the potential of being a monstrous hit, and if it does, Toho and Legendary need to come to some kind of agreement to continue both their series at the same time.

I'm thinking this is quite likely, unless KotM and Godzilla vs. Kong underperform, of course.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Mon May 14, 2018 9:27 pm

And we learn more and more about Gojikon:

http://jimpluff.tumblr.com/post/1739093 ... ence#notes

I'm confused as to how much this is stuff that happened in the 2014 conference or talks that are happening now or have been continuing over the years... some of it doesn't really make sense in the context of 2014, right? Like the bit about Legendary/WB having held a lot of foreign marketing rights and Shin was still two years from release at that point. Still, really interesting stuff. Toho wanting a shared Godzilla film universe where some movies may focus on other kaiju, so - a Godzilla universe film each year but not necessarily a movie with Godzilla in it each year? That's really interesting, as is their 'loosening up' as to how Godzilla is portrayed in licensing by allowing more humorous takes and such.

Oh, and having Godzilla be represented in the 2020 Olympics? Awesomeness.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Tue May 15, 2018 8:45 pm

Whoa, elucidation: Gormaru Island posted a more in-depth translation of the article in question, an interview with Chief Godzilla Officer Keiji Ota. It does indeed lay out Toho's plans post Godzilla vs. Kong as well as recaps what they've done since 2014.

https://m.facebook.com/GormaruIsland/po ... 2859218786

Most important to fans:

- While they're diversifying Godzilla projects films will remain the 'core' of the franchise
- Want to create a new Godzilla shared universe (a 'World of Godzilla') instead of simply making Shin Godzilla 2.
- Possibility of movies in this 'World of Godzilla' that star monsters besides Godzilla (Mothra is given as an example)
- Although there is a preference for yearly, the current strategy is for an installment every two years.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sun May 20, 2018 3:11 pm

Ah, it's taken a few days but the news I shared there ^ is finally hitting the major pop culture sites:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/toho-is-plannin ... 1826177988

Naturally, 'Godzilla shared universe' and 'no Shin Godzilla 2' are the headlines people are rolling with.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Mac » Sun May 20, 2018 4:32 pm

I think more than anyone Kiyotaka Taguchi probably deserves a shot. Would love to see someone like Kiyoshi Kurosawa direct a kaiju film. Kaneko returning would be ace too.
The new Gamera will be worse than Super Monster.
Mac
Heisei Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sun May 20, 2018 4:52 pm

^I'd like to see all three of them get a shot. I'd say Sono and Miike, too, but I'm not sure Toho would be that open (although they did pursue Anno...)
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sun May 20, 2018 7:18 pm

The AV Club's lounge-in-cheek report on the matter:

https://news.avclub.com/toho-announces- ... 1826181863

Toho is planning a Godzilla cinematic universe, even though it already did that
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Sun May 20, 2018 7:56 pm

Taguchi and Miike both have my vote. Love and Peace is fine but every other Sono film I have seen has been excessively misogynistic to the point that they are hard to watch at times.
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Gentleman » Sun May 20, 2018 9:36 pm

lhb412 wrote:The AV Club's lounge-in-cheek report on the matter:

https://news.avclub.com/toho-announces- ... 1826181863

Toho is planning a Godzilla cinematic universe, even though it already did that

That was the first thought I had when I read the news. Toho was doing shared universes way before they became a fad.

Hopefully that means they'll focus on more kaiju in starring roles than Godzilla and Mothra.
I'm not a hero. I'm not a savior. Forget what you know.

I'm just a man whose circumstances went beyond his control.
Gentleman
Godzilla Jr.

Postby jellydonut25 » Mon May 21, 2018 8:52 am

I'm interested...but I'd be more excited if I had any faith in Toho at all.

and it's not JUST my reactions to Shin and the anime...it's that Toho has promised some things in the past and not delivered on them. I feel like as soon as they falter even SLIGHTLY they'll just retreat to their typical attitude of just bringing back the Ghidrah the Three-Headed Monster kaiju cast.

But let's do it (maybe).
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby DannyBeane » Mon May 21, 2018 8:55 am

I'm picturing Anguirus being the Hawkeye of the the Godzilla verse.
DannyBeane
Burning Godzilla

Postby Gargantuan Gargantua » Mon May 21, 2018 9:21 am

I want another Gargantuas movie please. Of course that won't happen but I can dream.
Gargantuan Gargantua
Heisei Godzilla

PreviousNext

Return to Shin Godzilla and Beyond!