New Toho Godzilla Series after Legendary

Discussion on Shin Godzilla and rumors, news, and speculation on other possible future Godzilla projects, including the Godzilla Anime project! Discuss them here!

Moderator: Controllers

Re: New Toho Godzilla Series after Legendary

Postby MekaGojira3k » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:48 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:I'm just trying to wrap my head around the phrase "dynamic action...like Evangelion" ...

>_> Looks at Berserker Sequence, Asuka and Ghaghiel, Israfel, Almost anything from the movies.

Just because something has slow moments in it doesn't mean it can't feature dynamic action at other points.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:20 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:
lhb412 wrote:
MekaGojira3k wrote:
I LIKE ALL OF THIS. BETWEEN THIS AND GODZILLA IN HELL I DON'T CARE IF GODZILLA 2 EVER GETS MADE.

No way: it's the compound excitement of the many kaiju/giant monster projects in the works that makes this next level awesomeness!

Now THERE'S a notion with which I can get fully on-board!

Love & Peace (Sion Sono w/ Kiyotaka Taguchi; June 2015)
Attack on Titan (Shinji Higuchi; August & September 2015)
Toho's New Godzilla (Hideaki Anno & Shinji Higuchi; 2016)
Pacific Rim 2 (Guillermo Del Toro; 2017)
Kong: Skull Island (Jordan Vogt-Roberts; 2017)
Godzilla 2 (Gareth Edwards; 2018)
Leviathan (Ruairi Robinson; ???)
Perhaps the potential to see a new Gamera maybe (though nothing seems like it's actively moving forward at the moment), plus Jurassic World, plus crappy Asylum ripoffs

Plus there will probably be at least one new Ultraman movie in all that time to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the franchise.
[DaiKamonohashi - Kiryugoji04 - Kaiju Hipster - Jared P. Foust]
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:51 pm

I've only ever seen a couple episodes of the original Ultraman TV series...there's too much Ultraman stuff out there, it's overwhelming.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Henry88 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:56 pm

now one would wonder how fast news will come out.
Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:05 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:I wholeheartedly disagree, and I'd add at LEAST six other Showa films to the list (KKvsG, Sea Monster, Son of Godzilla, Godzilla's Revenge, Gigan, ToMG), and if we're just talking about whether the character himself or herself is interesting,

I can understand Ebirah, but not Son of Godzilla or Revenge. None of those characters have any sort of development whatesoever. We know nothing about them other than Ichiro's parents are absentee parents and Goro smelled a story.

And whether Tokyo SOS was conceived as an end-cap or not, it still needs interesting characters. Maybe it was originally CONCEIVED as bringing back the original cast, but once that didn't happen, things should have been changed up.

Disagree. It makes up for the lack of interesting characters by giving us Kiryu, Mothra, and Godzilla.

I don't give a rat's ass about Chujo. He's in the movie, yeah, but he doesn't have a character arc. He starts off liking Mothra and his family and ends up....liking Mothra and his family? He doesn't DO anything.

He doesn't need to. He was developed in Mothra, so his character has already been established.

Neither does the mechanic. I don't CARE that he's not a military guy (although he kinda is). He doesn't DO anything. He starts off being obsessed with machines and ends up....being obsessed with machines. There's no ARC there.

There doesn't have to be. He is there to do a job and he does it effectively. And his arc is to tell the military about Mothra.

The only thing in the entire movie that has anything remotely APPROACHING a character arc is Kiryu.

And that is all the movie needs. That is the purpose of the movie.

Godzilla starts and ends the same as a character

So?

and Mothra and the Mothra fairies are the biggest liars. "Mothra's not gonna help you if Kiryu shows up." *Kiryu shows up...Mothra helps anyway* Nothing that's done or said in the entirety of Tokyo SOS affects the outcome of the film. It's just a movie that plods forward on some pretty-looking set pieces. UGH, and here I am convincing myself that I dislike the movie more than I actually do because I'm realizing just how paralyzing its faults actually are...

Really? That is your biggest complaint? In real life people say they are going to do things they don't mean all of the time.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby AVERY GUERRA » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:40 pm

Lots of new giant monster flicks in the works, many we haven't even shared yet...Plus don't forget the endless slew of low budget flicks "Insectula!", "Lavalantula", etc...And I'll share a non-April Fool's tease that another unannounced Showa era daikaiju film is getting a surprise long over due sequel which I hope to be working on if everything goes right but I can't say much more just yet or they'll kill me! :shock:
AVERY GUERRA
Heisei Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:03 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:Now THERE'S a notion with which I can get fully on-board!

Love & Peace (Sion Sono w/ Kiyotaka Taguchi; June 2015)
Attack on Titan (Shinji Higuchi; August & September 2015)
Toho's New Godzilla (Hideaki Anno & Shinji Higuchi; 2016)
Pacific Rim 2 (Guillermo Del Toro; 2017)
Kong: Skull Island (Jordan Vogt-Roberts; 2017)
Godzilla 2 (Gareth Edwards; 2018)
Leviathan (Ruairi Robinson; ???)
Perhaps the potential to see a new Gamera maybe (though nothing seems like it's actively moving forward at the moment), plus Jurassic World, plus crappy Asylum ripoffs

I keep going on about it, but that's only because I'm still stunned by our good fortune. A few years ago I would have agreed that this genre was never coming back aside from the odd, isolated project (ala Cloverfield). When PacRim and Godzilla '14 were approaching I thought to myself: "Wow, even if both of them bomb at least we can look forward to two big movies coming out!" In my wildest dreams I wouldn't think the floodgates would open like this. My head is swimming! Jaegers vs. Kaiju, King Kong returns, dinosaurs, two separate Godzillas, and Attack on Titan is Japan's first kaiju project in a long time not based on something from the genre's '60s heyday!

I know it seems Gamera is on hold right now, but with this rising tide I feel it's unlikely he'll be out of action for long.

We spent years anticipating Godzilla '14, and now we've got so much anticipation to spread around that we'll just have to concentrate on whatever the next movie to be released is. Kong and PacRim 2 come out a month apart! How crazy will that be?!

AVERY GUERRA wrote:Lots of new giant monster flicks in the works, many we haven't even shared yet...Plus don't forget the endless slew of low budget flicks "Insectula!", "Lavalantula", etc...And I'll share a non-April Fool's tease that another unannounced Showa era daikaiju film is getting a surprise long over due sequel which I hope to be working on if everything goes right but I can't say much more just yet or they'll kill me! :shock:

... Reptilicus?
Last edited by lhb412 on Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby AVERY GUERRA » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:09 pm

^ Nope. I wish as I love that film but it is another one of my favorites. It's a sequel to a Japanese made kaiju. Not Gamera either.

On another note, the trilobites on G's foot and "nightmare" part of this definitely make me feel this is a remake of the original...
Last edited by AVERY GUERRA on Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AVERY GUERRA
Heisei Godzilla

Postby walshiam » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:21 pm

Now if we could just get Gorgo out of retirement.
walshiam
Godzilla

Postby Henry88 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:43 pm

On another note, the trilobites on G's foot and "nightmare" part of this definitely make me feel this is a remake of the original...

Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Shin_Edda_Robo!!!!! » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:07 pm

Knowing Hideaki Anno and Shinji Higuchi, we'll probably see sequences not unlike the Shibuya Attack in G3.

Also the monster fight sequences will probably be truly vicious.

One thing though, I was relieved and surprised that Godzilla's height in the WB film was just over 100 meters tall.

when I read that the new Japanese Godzilla (lets call him AnnoGoji) was going to be towering over LegeGoji I really didn't expect Anno and company to start a dick measuring contest with WB.

How much larger is Anno going to make Godzilla? 120 meters? 150? 200? 300? 1000? Sounds ridiculous really.

Ultraman. Is a Dick. A Big Dick.
Shin_Edda_Robo!!!!!
Burning Godzilla

Postby Gargantuan Gargantua » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:20 pm

Shin_Edda_Robo!!!!! wrote:when I read that the new Japanese Godzilla (lets call him AnnoGoji) \

I don't know about the rest of you but I'm calling it GuchiGoji.
Gargantuan Gargantua
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Gojira-2000 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:40 pm

AVERY GUERRA wrote:^ Nope. I wish as I love that film but it is another one of my favorites. It's a sequel to a Japanese made kaiju. Not Gamera either.

Trilobites? So this Godzilla is from the Permian Period too? :lol:
Gojira-2000
Godzilla Jr.

Postby DannyBeane » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:45 pm

Gargantuan Gargantua wrote:
Shin_Edda_Robo!!!!! wrote:when I read that the new Japanese Godzilla (lets call him AnnoGoji) \

I don't know about the rest of you but I'm calling it GuchiGoji.

How about just The Guch...
DannyBeane
Burning Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:57 pm

August comes through with a nice translation of Anno and Higuchi's statements:

http://augustragone.blogspot.com/2015/0 ... speak.html

DannyBeane wrote:How about just The Guch...

Pronounced 'Gooch'? Yeah, let's go with that.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Gwangi » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:27 pm

Gojira-2000 wrote:
AVERY GUERRA wrote:^ Nope. I wish as I love that film but it is another one of my favorites. It's a sequel to a Japanese made kaiju. Not Gamera either.

Trilobites? So this Godzilla is from the Permian Period too? :lol:

We should have seen Bambi on the left toe! :mrgreen:
Gwangi
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:20 am

lhb412 wrote:August comes through with a nice translation of Anno and Higuchi's statements:

They're already saying great things and I like where Anno's head is.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby jellydonut25 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:38 am

Dr Kain wrote:I can understand Ebirah, but not Son of Godzilla or Revenge. None of those characters have any sort of development whatesoever. We know nothing about them other than Ichiro's parents are absentee parents and Goro smelled a story.
Ichiro is a self-sufficient, scrappy, latch-key kid with a vivid imagination, who has very real dreams and faults and positives and negatives. He has more characterization in his short shorts than anybody in Tokyo SOS.
And the kaiju get imbued with more personality than the kaiju in SOS by such leaps and bounds, it's actually making me re-think calling the kaiju an aspect in SOS's favor. Godzilla the father figure who needs to prove dominance over Monster Island and teach his son how to take care of himself is more characterized than Godzilla...who exists...and has a scar on his chest...

And not only does Goro "smell a story" but he's foolhardy enough to jump out of a plane on a hunch. At the same time, he clearly cares about things other than his own prosperity. He tries to save the girl before he ever even meets her, he is earnest in attempting to aid the professor's research, and he's willing to risk his life going to get the red water.
Chujo...likes Mothra. Because he met her once in the past.

Disagree. It makes up for the lack of interesting characters by giving us Kiryu, Mothra, and Godzilla.
But there's nothing terribly interesting about Kiryu, Mothra or Godzilla...Kiryu a little bit, but it's not fully realized or developed. Godzilla especially is a blank slate with no personality.

He doesn't need to. He was developed in Mothra, so his character has already been established.
but he doesn't DO anything. He doesn't grow or change or get developed at all throughout the entirety of the movie. He serves NO purpose to the film whatsoever. What about the movie would change if the Shobijin just decided to help Japan out of the goodness of their hearts instead of some super secret sacred symbol? Nothing. Contrast that with Ichiro: we wouldn't have a movie at all. Or Goro. The professor creates an army of mutant freaks and then they all die.

There doesn't have to be. He is there to do a job and he does it effectively. And his arc is to tell the military about Mothra.
HIs mechanic stuff proves somewhat useful, but his telling the military about Mothra? It makes no difference to the story whatsoever. If he never said a word about Mothra, the military would still realize that Mothra is fighting against Godzilla and they should focus on target priority #1 (Godzilla) first.

And that is all the movie needs. That is the purpose of the movie.
A movie needs more than a half-baked robot with a soul plot to work.

So?
So Godzilla himself is uninteresting in this movie. I already spoke to that. He exists. He has no personality. He's just a giant walking setpiece.

Really? That is your biggest complaint? In real life people say they are going to do things they don't mean all of the time.

I didn't say it's my biggest complaint, I listed a bunch of complaints, Mothra's half-baked storyline is just one of them. Another compare/contrast moment that the movie brings on itself: Compare Mothra's "I won't help you" in this vs the same in Mothra vs. Godzilla. In the earlier film, there's a plea for Mothra's help, first attempting to appeal to rational, logical thinking and then just a heartfelt plea to empathize and extend the first olive branch. In SOS, Mothra's not gonna help, then she does because someone makes a symbol on the ground with school desks.

<sigh> Tokyo SOS is just NOT a good movie...which stinks because it's a very pretty film and the kaiju action is solid.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby TerranigmaFreak » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:07 am

MouthForWar wrote:
lhb412 wrote:August comes through with a nice translation of Anno and Higuchi's statements:

They're already saying great things and I like where Anno's head is.

He talked more about EVA than he did Godzilla... I just found out the man has depression. He should be concerned with his health first.
TerranigmaFreak
Heisei Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:10 am

TerranigmaFreak wrote:He talked more about EVA than he did Godzilla... I just found out the man has depression. He should be concerned with his health first.
It's not that easy. There have been many scientific studies about depression and the link between depression and creative types. (We saw a resurgence of public interest in the topic recently in the wake of Robin William's suicide). This is likely something he has dealt with most of his life (and admitted to publicly over 20 years ago) and is something he will probably deal with for the rest of his life. Getting away from Eva will hopefully help break some of the cycles he's currently found himself in as he has the excitement and nuance of a new creative task.
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:02 am

The hilarity that's been ensuing (not here) over a picture of the bottom of a foot and a few comments from the forthcoming filmmakers...Godzilla fans never disappoint. Or always disapoint? Either way, I get chuckles.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby kiryugoji04 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:46 pm

klen7 wrote:
TerranigmaFreak wrote:He talked more about EVA than he did Godzilla... I just found out the man has depression. He should be concerned with his health first.
It's not that easy. There have been many scientific studies about depression and the link between depression and creative types. (We saw a resurgence of public interest in the topic recently in the wake of Robin William's suicide). This is likely something he has dealt with most of his life (and admitted to publicly over 20 years ago) and is something he will probably deal with for the rest of his life. Getting away from Eva will hopefully help break some of the cycles he's currently found himself in as he has the excitement and nuance of a new creative task.

Yeah, he's admitted to using Eva as an outlet for his depression on several occasions, I believe. It's interesting to watch the Rebuild movies and read about the thought that went into a lot of the creative decisions behind it because a lot of those changes have come from his altered mindset after he got married and was generally leading a relatively happier life compared to when he was working on the original series. I'm not the biggest fan of Evangelion but Anno fascinates me as an artist, which is part of why I'm so psyched to see him taking on Godzilla.
[DaiKamonohashi - Kiryugoji04 - Kaiju Hipster - Jared P. Foust]
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby GFan » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:32 pm

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Hopefully Toho will let these guys do their thing and not pull a GMK on this project. Anno and Higuchi's statements have charged my fanboy hype-boner for nuclear pulse.

Oh, and the foot looks cool too.
GFan
Burning Godzilla

Postby walshiam » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:46 pm

Often those who exhibit tendencies towards depression and eccentricity are the most talented, creative individuals. Whether it's in the entertainment field or some other profession, that's what sets them above, beyond and far apart from those with only passable talent. They can go places naturally in their minds that only those who zone out on drugs can go provided it doesn't carry them off the edge. Anno with his mindset and Higuchi with his knowledge and experience may be the only ones who can truely return Godzilla to his doomsday persona. Personally, I love all aspects of the character but the one that gets all the crical attention and praise is usually the original. There are very few films better at demonstrating the true meaning of doom and despair than this one.
walshiam
Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:01 pm

GFan wrote:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Hopefully Toho will let these guys do their thing and not pull a GMK on this project. Anno and Higuchi's statements have charged my fanboy hype-boner for nuclear pulse.

I understand concerns like these, but I'm honestly not that concerned about it. Toho is being run totally different and by totally different people than they were 10 years ago.
MouthForWar
Controller

PreviousNext

Return to Shin Godzilla and Beyond!