No More Godzilla or Kaiju Films from Japan?

Discussion on Shin Godzilla and rumors, news, and speculation on other possible future Godzilla projects, including the Godzilla Anime project! Discuss them here!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby MekaGojira3k » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:59 am

Gman2887 wrote:There will be a day that Toho's in a rut and they see some old, dusty Godzilla related merch sitting on a shelf in some office. Then the cogs will start turning again...

Seriously, thinking Toho is done with Godzilla "forever" is almost wishful thinking. I'm looking forward to the Legendary/WB film, but Toho will have another go at it one day.

See I don't think they'll be done with it, but I think they may be done with Godzilla in the sense they won't be making any more "Guys in rubber suits" movies.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:34 am

MekaGojira3k wrote:
Gman2887 wrote:There will be a day that Toho's in a rut and they see some old, dusty Godzilla related merch sitting on a shelf in some office. Then the cogs will start turning again...

Seriously, thinking Toho is done with Godzilla "forever" is almost wishful thinking. I'm looking forward to the Legendary/WB film, but Toho will have another go at it one day.

See I don't think they'll be done with it, but I think they may be done with Godzilla in the sense they won't be making any more "Guys in rubber suits" movies.
Is there anything that leads you to think this?

Because I kinda think that's part of the CHARM of Toho's Godzilla and I find it a little difficult to think that they wouldn't do anymore suitmation.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby MekaGojira3k » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:16 am

jellydonut25 wrote:
MekaGojira3k wrote:

Is there anything that leads you to think this?

Because I kinda think that's part of the CHARM of Toho's Godzilla and I find it a little difficult to think that they wouldn't do anymore suitmation.

What leads me to think of it is just the fact that Japanese audiences don't seem all that interested in suitmation monster films. Maybe there'll be a revival, but it won't happen any time soon.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:01 pm

i generally agree with you, but i also kinda feel like a new suitmation Godzilla film made in 2025 or something, like way on down the line, would make a decent splash...

i think any attempts by Toho to revive Godzilla as a viable film series done with suitmation is doomed for failure, but to make one every ten years or something...I think people would be down for the nostalgia...
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Gojilove » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:43 pm

I bet a lot of the future of the genre in Japan will come from how Legendary's film does there.

It could respark interest in the franchise, and hopefully the genre itself.
Gojilove
Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:14 pm

GoJiRa07 wrote:I bet a lot of the future of the genre in Japan will come from how Legendary's film does there.

It could respark interest in the franchise, and hopefully the genre itself.
i'm really hoping that when all is said and done maybe 10-ish years from now...we look back and say, "For all its faults...King Kong 2005 really kick-started an interest in and rebirth of giant monster films."

And you know, maybe people will point to Cloverfield or Pacific Rim or Godzilla, but I think smart people, even those who say it begrudgingly due to a personal distaste for that film, will realize Peter Jackson's Kong really spearheaded the movement that had been dead since Roland Emmerich killed it in 1998 and Joe Johnston drove a stake through its heart in 2001.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby MouthForWar » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:18 pm

Movement? What movement?

I like PJ's Kong, but I seriously doubt its existence had any bearing on Cloverfield, Pacific Rim, or Godzilla.

PJ's Kong didn't even do that good.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby jellydonut25 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:22 pm

MouthForWar wrote:Movement? What movement?

I like PJ's Kong, but I seriously doubt its existence had any bearing on Cloverfield, Pacific Rim, or Godzilla.

PJ's Kong didn't even do that good.
For starters, there's no "movement" right now, hence why I said 10 years from now.

And I don't think a film that was #5 at the box office in a year that featured both Harry Potter and Star Wars and raked in half a billion dollars can be said to not "even do that good".

AND I personally don't think Godzilla, Pacific Rim and to maybe a somewhat lesser extent, Cloverfield ever get made without Jackson's Kong.

Roland Emmerich RUINED the American giant monster film in 1998 and Joe Johnston did nothing but remind people why those types of movies "are bad" with Jurassic Park III.
There wasn't going to be another giant monster movie made with a big budget in America unless a MAJOR director stepped forward and made one (that's the part where I think Cloverfield still MIGHT have made it...JJ is a pretty big name). PJ did, and I think/hope we will ultimately reap the benefits when Pacific Rim and Godzilla hit the theaters, hopefully both do REALLY well, and kickstart even more new kaiju films.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby MouthForWar » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:27 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:And I don't think a film that was #5 at the box office in a year that featured both Harry Potter and Star Wars and raked in half a billion dollars can be said to not "even do that good".

I'm sure Warner Bros, who were gravely disappointed by the mediocre performance would disagree... (remember this movie cost up to $300 mil. when you include marketing cost and it didn't even double that WORLDWIDE)

jellydonut25 wrote:Roland Emmerich RUINED the American giant monster film in 1998 and Joe Johnston did nothing but remind people why those types of movies "are bad" with Jurassic Park III.

Still, at the time of GINO, there WAS no "American giant monster" genre... it had been all but dead since Harryhausen quit. Unless you wanna count cheapies like straight to video stuff and Roger Corman productions, etc.

As for JP3, I actually know more people that like that movie than don't (I am not among them).
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby jellydonut25 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:35 pm

MouthForWar wrote:Still, at the time of GINO, there WAS no "American giant monster" genre... it had been all but dead since Harryhausen quit. Unless you wanna count cheapies like straight to video stuff and Roger Corman productions, etc.
agree to disagree, i guess...but I look at The Lost World and Jurassic Park as giant monster movies. and the Ghostbuster films are monster movies in a lot of ways. and there were still a LOT of non-GIANT monster movies being made...but then you look from 1998 to 2005 and it's like it's all superheroes and matrix-y stuff.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby MouthForWar » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:43 pm

If we're talking about just MONSTER movies, there's always been a few every year or two years... the same time period had Mimic, the Relic, Species, Alien Resurrection, etc... and various sequels.

As far as GIANT monsters in Hollywood, I typically don't think of the JP films that way, but even if I DID, it isn't enough to say there has been much of a pulse in the genre since Harryhausen's retirement.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby jellydonut25 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:48 pm

Personally, I don't know how you can watch The Lost World and not consider it a giant monster movie.
There's even a rampage through a major metropolitan area...
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby MouthForWar » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:49 pm

Probably because there is so much MORE going on than just the giant monsters. But don't misunderstand me, its not that I'm not willing to include them or that I'm denying their place in that sub-genre, its just that they never spring to mind.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby jellydonut25 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:53 pm

MouthForWar wrote:Its not that I'm not willing to include them or that I'm denying their place in that sub-genre, its just that they never spring to mind.
fair enough....

but i still say that PJ's Kong could be looked at as a revival of the genre.
even if you want to say there really WERE no American giant monster movies before then...then PJ's Kong is the first in years and years and years and its success (honestly, it's Universal's fault they spent $300 million on it, because a movie that makes $500 million can't be considered a bomb...none of the other top 5 films that year had budgets anywhere near approaching that...they overspent) could ultimately at the end of the day, years and years from now, cause us to be able to look back at the 2010s as a new era of kaiju cinema in America.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby MouthForWar » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:55 pm

I'd love for it to get that way. With studios really going nuts over the big movie seasons of Summer and Winter and trying to shove as many sci-fi/action blockbusters down our throats as possible, I'm honestly kinda surprised that they haven't tackled giant monsters more often (yet every year we get 1000 different movies about aliens).
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby jellydonut25 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:16 pm

it's a lofty expectation to be sure...but that's why it's a hope and not really an expectation. As much as I'd think Kong could get a lot of credit, the success or failure of Pacific Rim will really dictate the future of kaiju cinema.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby kiryugoji04 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:35 pm

I don't care if it's film or television, I pray the traditional Japanese kaiju style never completely goes away. Hopefully Neo Ultra Q next year will give us more miniature goodness to soak up. And hopefully a new Ultraman movie will be announced at some point between now and then too. And maybe if Ultra Zero Fight keeps running, they'll move the fights away from space locations and onto Earth so we can get some bite-sized city battles.

And perhaps Anno's museum will help inspire the current and future generations that the style is still awesome, even if it's not "realistic."

And hopefully Kiyotaka Taguchi gets to direct a kaiju feature in the next couple of years. I would literally die of happiness if he did.
[DaiKamonohashi - Kiryugoji04 - Kaiju Hipster - Jared P. Foust]
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:22 am

kiryugoji04 wrote:I don't care if it's film or television, I pray the traditional Japanese kaiju style never completely goes away. Hopefully Neo Ultra Q next year will give us more miniature goodness to soak up. And hopefully a new Ultraman movie will be announced at some point between now and then too. And maybe if Ultra Zero Fight keeps running, they'll move the fights away from space locations and onto Earth so we can get some bite-sized city battles.

I really want Neo Ultra Q to be amazing. We need more tiny kaiju epics on a weekly basis.

Although I do like how Ultraman Zero's stuff has been in space. The space opera-like nature of Legends and Zero The Movie wouldn't have been worked as well on Earth.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Previous

Return to Shin Godzilla and Beyond!