No More Godzilla or Kaiju Films from Japan?

Discussion on Shin Godzilla and rumors, news, and speculation on other possible future Godzilla projects, including the Godzilla Anime project! Discuss them here!

Moderator: Controllers

No More Godzilla or Kaiju Films from Japan?

Postby LoneWolfandCub » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:48 pm

Given the horrible events in Japan, would any film studio there make another monster movie?

There are so many parrallels to the films that we have enjoyed to what is going on in Japan now. A record breaking killer earthquake ("Deathquake") which sets of a huge tsunami that wipes away thousands of people, homes, cars, entire villages ("Japan Sinks"). I cannot imagine the site of hundreds and hundreds of dead bodies rolling up on the beaches like some kind of grisley Red Tide.

Now we have the nuclear plants in near meltdown ("Godzilla vs Destroyah"), with radiation levels soaring, people evacuating, told to stay indoors and with no way to stop the emergency.

Sendai was one of the major locations featured in "Gamera 2: Advent of Legion."

Given the country-stattering devastation and enourmous emotional turmoil and the horrors that the Japanese people are witnessing, I hardly think that any film studio would make any kind of giant monster movie featuring a radioactive dinosaur spewing atomic breath and destroying towns and cities. It took nearly 10 years for them to even accept the original "Gojira" following Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Could you imagine such a film made any earlier than that?

But with the destruction due to the earthquake/tsunami/volcano/nuke plants, I fear that Japan as a country may be doomed completely. I hope not, but I would guess that there will not be any kind of film resembling the carnage we are seeing for a very, very, VERY long time.
LoneWolfandCub
Godzillasaurus

Postby MekaGojira3k » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:59 pm

Well, the original Godzilla, and by extension Showa Toho Scifi Universe, was born out the dropping of the atomic bombs. This is no different, though I feel like a lack of kaiju films will have more to do with a lack of interest or money making capacity (as has been the case since Final Wars).
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:47 pm

The entire genre is born out of the worst disaster in the country's history.

People created those movies as a way to come to terms witht he reality of what happened.

A lack of future films is going to be based on economics, plain and simple.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby MouthForWar » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:59 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:The entire genre is born out of the worst disaster in the country's history.

People created those movies as a way to come to terms witht he reality of what happened.

A lack of future films is going to be based on economics, plain and simple.

This.

Japan's history with disaster is what made these films. Now, more than any other time would be the time to bring them back (of course considering the economic situation allowed it)
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby zillaspawn » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:21 pm

maybe there will MORE made as a kind of way to try to deal with what happened even if its just for 2hrs in a movie theater ... :?
zillaspawn
Baby Godzilla

Postby metal_bryan » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:40 pm

It's possible we may see the closest new incarnation of the original Gojira... if TOHO feels it's bankable.
metal_bryan
Controller

Postby Drax » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:17 pm

Uh, how will Toho make a movie if the whole country goes radioactive? Plus, I'd hate to see the film archives become inaccessible because of fallout contamination.
"Your views are as narrow as your tie."
- Bernard Herrmann
Drax
Godzillasaurus

Postby walshiam » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:05 pm

What I expect to see is prices on items from Japan to go through the roof and I would recommend holding on to your Bandai's.
walshiam
Godzilla

Postby Pkmatrix » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:25 pm

Drax wrote:Uh, how will Toho make a movie if the whole country goes radioactive? Plus, I'd hate to see the film archives become inaccessible because of fallout contamination.

The situation's not THAT bad - we're not seeing Chernobyl Part II. Japan will recover from this disaster, just as any other country would (better, in fact, considering it's the world's third wealthiest country) and be stronger for it. It's not the first time Japan has suffered a major catastrophe...hell, based on all the media about Japan being decimated this event is more an affirmation of all their fears. If anything, we'll see MORE disaster/kaiju films when the dust settles.
Pkmatrix
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Legion » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:25 pm

walshiam wrote:What I expect to see is prices on items from Japan to go through the roof and I would recommend holding on to your Bandai's.

Why exactly do you think that?
http://legion1979.tumblr.com/

Hello, Nice Warners! - A Thorough Analysis of Every Animaniacs Episode
Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:59 pm

This will probably lead to more kaiju films sooner or later...can't really lead to any less.

I do suspect it will lead to an increase in toku heroes just like America experienced a super hero boom after Sept. 11. Keeping up with the news in Japan though, there's some real heroes right now on the ground, from all nations. My heart goes out to them, and it's inspiring to see so many different nations helping another one. It's also awe inspiring what some of those nuclear specs are going through, literally putting their health and lives on the line to spot the leaks and overheating so save the lives of others...amazing and the very deffinition of heroism.
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:21 pm

Drax wrote:Uh, how will Toho make a movie if the whole country goes radioactive? Plus, I'd hate to see the film archives become inaccessible because of fallout contamination.
even if the entire reactor melted down and exploded, the whole country would not "go radioactive"...
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby walshiam » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:02 pm

Legion wrote:
walshiam wrote:What I expect to see is prices on items from Japan to go through the roof and I would recommend holding on to your Bandai's.

Just another reason to hike prices. Mother nature always has a way of reminding us of the cost of maintaining supply and demand. Whether it be oil or orange juice here, in Japan it's cars, electronics and Bandai's.
walshiam
Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:03 pm

walshiam wrote:
Legion wrote:

Just another reason to hike prices. Mother nature always has a way of reminding us of the cost of maintaining supply and demand. Whether it be oil or orange juice here, in Japan it's cars, electronics and Bandai's.

HAHAHAHAA

Sad and funny all at once
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:40 am

From THE NEW YORK TIMES Blog Opinionator:
Japan’s Long Nuclear Disaster Film
[quote="PETER WYNN KIRBY"]
OXFORD, England — Peering at the post-tsunami devastation in Japan on miniature YouTube windows or video-streaming displays from Japanese news outlets provokes not only great empathy and concern, but an unmistakable feeling of déjà vu. As a scholar focusing on the place of nuclear energy in Japanese culture, I’ve seen more than my share of nuclear-themed monster movies from the ’50s onward, and the scenes of burning refineries, flattened cities, mobilized rescue teams and fleeing civilians recall some surreal highlights of the Japanese disaster film genre.

This B-movie fare is widely mocked, often for good reason. But the early “Godzillaâ€
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Mysterio » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:18 am

I wonder if this will derail the 2012 Legendary Pictures Godzilla movie. Presuming the plot takes place in Japan (or at least in part). It might be too soon to "go there" after this disaster.
Mysterio
Godzilla

Postby ryuuseipro » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:38 am

Mysterio wrote:I wonder if this will derail the 2012 Legendary Pictures Godzilla movie. Presuming the plot takes place in Japan (or at least in part). It might be too soon to "go there" after this disaster.

I hardly think it's going to derail it. Temporarily delay it, yes. They are committed to doing this film, after all. (Lest we forget that some superhero stuff over in Japan, including the upcoming Gokaiger film, is delayed as well.)

Besides, it's not like there's a law to outlaw all giant monsters permanently. It's silly to even think that. There's been terrible disasters before (including the 1995 Kobe earthquake, and Japan's own 9/11, the Aum Shinrikyou attacks), and yet here we are.
-John Cassidy
Richmond, VA
http://ryuuseipro.livejournal.com/

"The monster a child knows best and is most concerned with [is] the monster he feels or fears himself to be." -Bruno Bettelheim
ryuuseipro
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Legion » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:44 am

No more Godzilla or kaiju films?

Cause we've gotten any lately?
http://legion1979.tumblr.com/

Hello, Nice Warners! - A Thorough Analysis of Every Animaniacs Episode
Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Jinzo Ningen » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:49 am

I honestly don't see a self-imposed "ban" of Japanese films that feature giant monsters causing mass destruction. As king_ghidorah stated, it will in all likelyhood lead to a resurgence in toku heroes and a rebirth of daikaiju films. It somehow makes things a little easier to take when you're watching what you know is make believe fantasy up on the big screen. It's a pressure valve to relieve the stress & tension of the real world because you know the good guys will triumph in the end; far more comforting the the vast unknown that the Japanese people are dealing with right now.

My thoughts & prayers go out to the Japanese victims who have lost so much, and heartfelt "Thank you" to the heroes within Japan and from every corner of the globe who are risking their lives to help. Japan is one of the most resilient nations on earth. They, as a people, have a boundless inner-strength that will surely see them through even the darkest hours of this ghastly disaster.
Jinzo Ningen
Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:34 pm

i think it's funny that people think there would be any sort of ban or derailment of a film due to the earthquake.

within a few years of 9/11 which was a violent, malicious act as opposed to a freak act of nature, we had multiple movies doing little more than exploiting the attack and capitalizing on it.

thinking that an earthquake will put a halt on the development of a Godzilla film is laughable
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby armandv » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:45 pm

Have you given the thought that over the long run the events of recent days just may give you-know-who renewed relevance again?

I'm just sayin'.
armandv
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:46 pm

This thread fails.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Mysterio » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:22 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:i think it's funny that people think there would be any sort of ban or derailment of a film due to the earthquake.

within a few years of 9/11 which was a violent, malicious act as opposed to a freak act of nature, we had multiple movies doing little more than exploiting the attack and capitalizing on it.

thinking that an earthquake will put a halt on the development of a Godzilla film is laughable

It's not just "an earthquake" it's a magnitude 8.9 earthquake, which started a tsunami, and with an ongoing nuclear crisis that is still escalating. Yes, YEARS after 9/11 there are films exploiting it. IMMEDIATELY after 9/11 most people were steering clear. After 9/11 they pulled a Spider-Man trailer because it briefly showed the twin towers (just a trailer, but still). It really depends on how serious the nuclear situation becomes. It's called "sensitivity" and yes *if* there are significant deaths related to what happens on the reactor side of things I would not be too surprised if things were at least delayed. Assuming the movie is set in Japan.

See this link for a similar report on various video games already being cancelled or delayed due to this event...

http://www.dailytech.com/Apocalyptic+Video+Games+DelayedCancelled+Due+to+Japans+Disastrous+Events+/article21135.htm

Hell see this link for SEVERAL movies that were delayed, altered or cancelled due to 9/11...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_audiovisual_entertainment_affected_by_the_September_11_attacks

Laughable? You don't know what you're talking about. Now do I think there will NEVER be another kaiju film? Of course there will. But there is precedence for things to be delayed in situations like these.
Last edited by Mysterio on Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mysterio
Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:34 pm

I think Mysterio has a rather accurate assesment of the situation. I think for the immediate future there will be a slight reluctance to tackle kaiju like topics (heck, there's even rumors going around that the 40th aniversary Kamen Rider film might be trimmed a bit now) but eventually, kaiju will rise again because monsters help us cope with real life. A nation's horror films can usually give a pretty decent indicator as to what is happening in that nation at the time. Times of war and strife usually mean darker, grittier horror films...

For the time being though, I predict that after having experienced so much loss and tragedy, the Japanese people will want lighter, more heroic cinematic adventures.

Remember...Godzilla itself wasn't made until 9 years after Hiroshima...
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby kpa » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:39 pm

Mysterio wrote:I wonder if this will derail the 2012 Legendary Pictures Godzilla movie. Presuming the plot takes place in Japan (or at least in part). It might be too soon to "go there" after this disaster.

I think Legendary's GODZILLA is so far off that recent tragedies won't have a direct impact on the film's release.

Some fans have been calling the Legendary project "GODZILLA 2012" but the actual press release from March 2010 only states that the film was intended for a 2012 release. The studio was clearly being tentative about the release but some fans are treating it like it was a definitive statement, and that's their mistake.

For some time now I've thought 2012 was extremely unlikely in any case. A year has passed since that press release, and the only major announcement since then is that a director is now attached to the film. There still isn't a final script, or a main cast, or key crew personnel. So active pre-production hasn't even started yet.

Another major factor to consider is release dates. When a studio makes a big budget movie (in the $150-200+ million range) they have to release it during the times of the year when they're most likely to reach the largest possible audience. Those dates are early May to late July, around the Thanksgiving holiday, and Christmas. There are exceptions, but generally the rest of the year is used for less expensive films that don't need to earn as much to be profitable.

With hundreds of millions of dollars at stake, the studios do not like to release their biggest movies head-to-head or even too close together (putting out a $150 million movie the weekend after THE DARK KNIGHT opened would have been financial suicide). So studios will stake claims to those key dates a year or more in advance so other studios won't also schedule their biggest movies for the same time, and those dates are already booked up for next year...

May 4: AVENGERS
May 18: BATTLESHIP (big budget Universal film)
May 25: MEN IN BLACK 3
June 8: MADAGASCAR 3, PROMETHEUS
June 15: BRAVE (new Pixar movie)
June 29: STAR TREK 2
July 3: AMAZING SPIDER-MAN
July 20: DARK KNIGHT RISES
November 2: MONSTERS INC 2
November 9: BOND 23
November 16: TWILIGHT: BREAKING DAWN PART 2
November 21: 47 RONIN
December 19: THE HOBBIT

Notice GODZILLA is not on that list. So Legendary and Warner Bros would either have to schedule GODZILLA against one of the films already in place (which they most likely will not want to do) or plan for a release in 2013 or later. The latter choice makes much more sense financially, and also allows the studio more time to develop and produce GODZILLA.

Since GODZILLA isn't even scheduled yet I doubt what is happening right now will postpone a movie that's 2 or more years away.
Keith
kpa
Monster 01

Next

Return to Shin Godzilla and Beyond!