How about we talk about the design of Godzilla?

Discussion on Shin Godzilla and rumors, news, and speculation on other possible future Godzilla projects, including the Godzilla Anime project! Discuss them here!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby MekaGojira3k » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:20 pm

I'd kind of rather they steer away from anything VERY heisei.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Flame of Udin » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:27 pm

JTamburo wrote:
edgodzi wrote:
JTamburo wrote:The other way would be to use the "Bubba - Goji" (GMK) and just give it a few changes:

- Pupils in the eyes.

- Fix the beer belly

- Fix the divot in the neck.

Remember the last two occured because Toho at the last minute (after the suit was made) decided Godzilla has to walk upright (correct decision) but alas the suit had been made for him to walk like a Jurassic Park T-Rex.

Where did this ridiculous idea come from? "Toho" as a company didn't decide anything like this. Fact is that the suit actor had a difficult time to balance and walk in the suit as well as to see when assuming the forward leaning pose that it was built for. It wasn't intended to be a T-Rex pose, but sort of halfway between erect and a T-Rex.

Ed G.

It isn't a ridiculous idea. The Toho part may be incorrect but the fact is that they modified the suit after it was built and that is why GMK Goji looks a bit weird - the posture was designed to be more saurian but they made it more upright, resulting in the neck divot and beer belly.

I also like another idea posited in this thread - use the Biollante Goji. That was a superb suit.

I think Ed knows what he is talking about JTamburo. He is one of the most expert members on this entire board.

and there is nothing wrong with GMK-Goji's look. They simply had big plans for the suit but ran out of time/money so they made due with what they had which is more or less the deal with many suits in Godzilla films.
Flame of Udin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby edgodzi » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:46 pm

JTamburo wrote:
edgodzi wrote:
JTamburo wrote:The other way would be to use the "Bubba - Goji" (GMK) and just give it a few changes:

- Pupils in the eyes.

- Fix the beer belly

- Fix the divot in the neck.

Remember the last two occured because Toho at the last minute (after the suit was made) decided Godzilla has to walk upright (correct decision) but alas the suit had been made for him to walk like a Jurassic Park T-Rex.

Where did this ridiculous idea come from? "Toho" as a company didn't decide anything like this. Fact is that the suit actor had a difficult time to balance and walk in the suit as well as to see when assuming the forward leaning pose that it was built for. It wasn't intended to be a T-Rex pose, but sort of halfway between erect and a T-Rex.

Ed G.

It isn't a ridiculous idea. The Toho part may be incorrect but the fact is that they modified the suit after it was built and that is why GMK Goji looks a bit weird - the posture was designed to be more saurian but they made it more upright, resulting in the neck divot and beer belly.

No, the 'fact' is that they did NOT modify the suit after it was built. It was built for a forward-leaning posture which means the neck had to be extended compared to an ordinary suit. When posing upright, that extra length folds in on itself. If you have ever seen the maquette Godzilla on which the suit was based, you can see how the proportions of the suit are perfect for achieving that image. Likewise with the stomach--it is extended to achieve the forward-leaning pose. But when it stands up, the extra bulk has to go somewhere. It was simply used differently at times than the way it was designed.

Having known suit maker Shinada for 30+ years, having seen a couple hundred pictures detailing the process of him making the suit, and having watched a couple days of sfx filming for GMK in person, I believe I can speak for what the 'facts' are about this suit.

Ed G.
"If a boring person finds something boring, that is probably proof that it is interesting." - Akira Kurosawa
edgodzi
Little Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:56 pm

edgodzi wrote:If you have ever seen the maquette Godzilla on which the suit was based, you can see how the proportions of the suit are perfect for achieving that image.

Here's a model based on the maquette for those who wish to see it.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:12 pm

Um what...I thought these were just fan made...

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/16 ... s-revealed
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:36 pm

They WERE just fan made. That article has taken the GFan article out of context.

Damn it, GFan...
Artisanal Practical Effects & Kaiju Content @Xenofauna
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:44 pm

kiryugoji04 wrote:They WERE just fan made. That article has taken the GFan article out of context.

Damn it, GFan...

Yeah but someone at Tohokingdom apparently forwarded this to the website in question and relayed these pics as legit. So it's not just G-Fan to blame.

Look, I'm rather pro G-fan. Sure, it's not an academic mag like it could be but its gets the job done and it's a nice, easy read. I just wish someone would do J.D's fact checking on the news bits once in a while.
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:54 pm

I guess my issue with GFan is just how much better if could be with very little effort. Part of the problem is how thin JD stretches himself while still insisting that he control most every aspect of the magazine.

*shrug*
Artisanal Practical Effects & Kaiju Content @Xenofauna
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:03 pm

kiryugoji04 wrote:I guess my issue with GFan is just how much better if could be with very little effort. Part of the problem is how thin JD stretches himself while still insisting that he control most every aspect of the magazine.

*shrug*

Yeah, that is deff a problem.

Still, if you want it to be better than make it better my friend. You are quickly becoming a Ultraman academic...why not write some Ultraman articles or do some artwork for the mag??
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:40 pm

Dread Central have now picked it up, again saying that someone at TK claims its legit.

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/49947/ ... oncept-art

My opinion? I think its a repeat of the situation from a couple months ago, and a million times before that. More fan art being touted as the real deal by some fan probably looking for 15 minutes.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby king_ghidorah » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:42 pm

MouthForWar wrote:Dread Central have now picked it up, again saying that someone at TK claims its legit.

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/49947/ ... oncept-art

My opinion? I think its a repeat of the situation from a couple months ago, and a million times before that. More fan art being touted as the real deal by some fan probably looking for 15 minutes.

I know, and yet, everytime, this stuff spreads like wildfire. Watch, AICN will report it sometime in the next few days lol.
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Gman2887 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:17 pm

Might someone explain how the G-Fan article was taken out of context? What did it actually say about the supposed concept art in question?
Gman2887
Burning Godzilla

Postby Hybrid Gojira » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:12 am

I thought we've already seen those two concetps? I have no idea on the validity of the Godzilla designs being real, but I love the first one minus the green hue...I never liked Godzilla being green. The second one is rather "blah" for me.

Also, that GMK maquette is awesome.
Kaiju Transmissions Podcast Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/kaijutransmissionspodcast
Hybrid Gojira
Burning Godzilla

Postby Gman2887 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:12 pm

Gman2887
Burning Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:32 pm

If enough places start reporting it, does that mean it's true even if the rest of us know better?
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Shin_Edda_Robo!!!!! » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:28 pm

>Tohokingdom

Yeah, No. How in the world did they ever become a news source?

Ultraman. Is a Dick. A Big Dick.
Shin_Edda_Robo!!!!!
Burning Godzilla

Postby The Real McCoy » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:03 pm

Well, from a place in which the general discussion and fantasy match areas are by far the most active area of the entire board, you can't expect a lot. In their defense, most of the guys know it's bogus; there's always a handful who are so impatient about this whole thing that they will believe anything that they read. What I grow tired of in regards to news in relation to the new movie is almost every article I've read basically says the same thing. "Legendary Pictures told me this," or "My sources say this," without ever naming the source. Legendary Pictures is not a source to me. A person is a source. Give me a name I can look up to see if it's legit or not. That's just my philosophy at the moment. In regards to the designs in question, I'm not too crazy about them. The top design is okay, but the bottom one can stay on paper.
The Real McCoy
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Legion » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:14 am

Shin_Edda_Robo!!!!! wrote:
Yeah, No. How in the world did they ever become a news source?

I have no idea, but they like to think of themselves as a pretty big source of news. So much so that when people on their forums asks for info or clarification on something, a staff member will inevitably link to an article on the main site.

And remember, this is the site that has the entire cast of GINO profiled in the "cast" section but doesn't list 90% of the actors and actresses from Toho's golden age.
http://legion1979.tumblr.com/

Hello, Nice Warners! - A Thorough Analysis of Every Animaniacs Episode
Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby AVERY GUERRA » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:52 am

The Real McCoy wrote:What I grow tired of in regards to news in relation to the new movie is almost every article I've read basically says the same thing. "Legendary Pictures told me this," or "My sources say this," without ever naming the source. Legendary Pictures is not a source to me. A person is a source. Give me a name I can look up to see if it's legit or not..

Well, their sources may be requesting to be kept anonymous. Perhaps because they aren't supposed to be communicating with news sites/reporters in the first place and it could risk their jobs and future employments if they were revealed or just because they don't want to be bothered by other news sources/fans requesting and inquiring for more. That may very well be the case in with this film as it's very early to be releasing details. Many a time I've had sources for news on new films request to be kept anonymous. I respect their request often not even knowing why they wish to be so. :wink:
AVERY GUERRA
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Barnzilla » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:56 am

These so called reporters need to get their heads out of their butts and stop using dated material as news. Those concepts have been on the internet for years.
Barnzilla
Godzilla Jr.

Postby AVERY GUERRA » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:12 am

Barnzilla wrote:These so called reporters need to get their heads out of their butts and stop using dated material as news. Those concepts have been on the internet for years.

Agreed. I think in many cases they're just overly anxious to have something to share to the even more overly anxious fans requesting news updates that they jump on anything they can get and try to beat each other to the punch. Often they don't have sources to verify the 'news' or just aren't willing to wait for verification and want to get it up before their competition does. I just figure the news will come when it does. I'm not expecting a lot of news for some time to come so for now it's just a lot of rumors and speculation which for many is fun. Not really my cup of tea but sometimes it can be a bit distracting. In the meantime between now and when the film comes out there's plenty of other cool films and news to keep me distracted enough.
AVERY GUERRA
Heisei Godzilla

Postby The Real McCoy » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:28 am

AVERY GUERRA wrote:Well, their sources may be requesting to be kept anonymous. Perhaps because they aren't supposed to be communicating with news sites/reporters in the first place and it could risk their jobs and future employments if they were revealed or just because they don't want to be bothered by other news sources/fans requesting and inquiring for more.

Yeah, that makes sense. I appreciate the clear-up. But it still doesn't change the fact that I truly believe that most, if not all of these guys are just doing it to get their voice heard. I have a hard time believing any "news" I read about this movie anymore; they just all sound the same.
The Real McCoy
Heisei Godzilla

Previous

Return to Shin Godzilla and Beyond!