The Tie-Ins

Discussion on Shin Godzilla and rumors, news, and speculation on other possible future Godzilla projects, including the Godzilla Anime project! Discuss them here!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby Gojiraknight » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:10 pm

Benjamin Haines wrote:Respecting the source material and trying to please the fan base are two very different things. Frankly, of all the established properties out there, the Godzilla fan base is probably the most wildly mixed in terms of what they want from a Godzilla movie. If there's one fan base that's impossible to please, it's Godzilla fans.

Coincidentally, of all the movie studios in Hollywood, Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures are probably the least worried about trying to please a genre fan base. They're making this film to try and draw as many mainstream moviegoers as possible. If the hearsay that Thomas Tull is really a lifelong Godzilla fan is true, then we can expect them to respect the source material, but that would be out of respect for the property. Remember, fellow fans, Legendary Pictures do not care about us.


I don't see please the fanbase and respecting the source material as being mutually exclusive. Why would any studio respect the source material if not to please the fanbase?

And I disagree that Godzilla fans are impossible to please. Most seem pretty accepting of any changes they make to the character. Then again, maybe this is an acceptance bred out of cynicism following GINO. All I can say is, WB/LP did right by Bat-Fans after B&R. I trust them to do the same with Godzilla...until I'm given reason not to ;)
Monster Zero's "Most Naive Person About 'The Business'" for 7 years running!
User avatar
Gojiraknight
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1004
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 12:12 am
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma

Postby Benjamin Haines » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:48 pm

GojiraKnight wrote:I don't see please the fanbase and respecting the source material as being mutually exclusive.


They're not, but neither is one dependent on the other. What do we know for a fact? Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures want to sell tickets and make money. What is very likely to be true? Toho are probably much more involved in the creative proceedings this go-round, considering what happened last time. What else has been indicated as possibly being true? Legendary's CEO may be a genuine Godzilla fan.

How about the notion that WB/LP know that they need to please the Godzilla fan base first and foremost? Does that sound realistic? Between aiming to make money, negotiating with Toho and possibly fulfilling their own lifelong dreams, does that really sound like something that Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures are concerned with?


GojiraKnight wrote:Why would any studio respect the source material if not to please the fanbase?


Because Toho (and possibly Thomas Tull) have respect for the source material and they want to see it done right? And because GINO was a critical and commercial failure with little respect for the source material which they don't want to replicate?

Nah, it's gotta be because what WB/LP need to do before anything else is please us, the fan base, and they simply must know that.


GojiraKnight wrote:And I disagree that Godzilla fans are impossible to please. Most seem pretty accepting of any changes they make to the character.


I guarantee you, no matter how ANY Godzilla movie is done, Japanese or American, there will always be a sizable chunk of the fan base that doesn't like it, just as surely as there will always be plenty who love it. The Godzilla fan base as a whole is impossible to please; the best you can hope for is a simple majority. Do you remember when Godzilla's all-out 50th anniversary event film polarized the online communities about five years ago?

Say LP/WB were aiming to cater to the fan base, so they personally interviewed 100 Godzilla fans to learn what they would specifically want from the upcoming film. They'd get 100 different answers, 100 different ideas of how Godzilla should be portrayed. Half of them would want Godzilla to have his '54/'84-'91 roar and half would want the more widely-known variation. Pleasing a genre fan base is an impossible task, especially when it comes to Godzilla.
Image
User avatar
Benjamin Haines
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 4984
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: North Carolina

Postby Legion » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:07 pm

Benjamin Haines wrote:
Say LP/WB were aiming to cater to the fan base, so they personally interviewed 100 Godzilla fans to learn what they would specifically want from the upcoming film. They'd get 100 different answers, 100 different ideas of how Godzilla should be portrayed. Half of them would want Godzilla to have his '54/'84-'91 roar and half would want the more widely-known variation.


For the record, I'm in the second half. :wink:
http://legion1979.tumblr.com/

Hello, Nice Warners! - A Thorough Analysis of Every Animaniacs Episode
Legion
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 7303
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2003 8:11 pm
Location: Long Island, NY

Postby DannyBeane » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:12 pm

I want his roar from the Hanna Barbara cartoon. "BLAARGHRARHAHG"
User avatar
DannyBeane
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 2980
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2003 7:13 pm
Location: Columbus Ohio

Postby Tyler E. Martin » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:14 pm

ALLOSAURZ wrote:I want his roar from the Hanna Barbara cartoon. "BLAARGHRARHAHG"


YES.
Image
User avatar
Tyler E. Martin
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1588
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 4:43 pm
Location: Ministry of the Space

Postby Gamzilla » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:47 pm

Tyler E. Martin wrote:
ALLOSAURZ wrote:I want his roar from the Hanna Barbara cartoon. "BLAARGHRARHAHG"


YES.


I think thats something every fan can agree with
User avatar
Gamzilla
Godzilla Jr.
 
Posts: 208
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2003 3:15 pm
Location: San Diego

Postby jellydonut25 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:56 pm

Gamzilla wrote:
Tyler E. Martin wrote:
ALLOSAURZ wrote:I want his roar from the Hanna Barbara cartoon. "BLAARGHRARHAHG"


YES.


I think thats something every fan can agree with
as long as those fans are droppin hits of acid at the time
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
User avatar
jellydonut25
Controller
 
Posts: 18397
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:18 am
Location: Houston, TX via Buffalo, NY

Postby Gojiraknight » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:01 pm

Benjamin Haines wrote:
GojiraKnight wrote:I don't see please the fanbase and respecting the source material as being mutually exclusive.


They're not, but neither is one dependent on the other. What do we know for a fact? Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures want to sell tickets and make money. What is very likely to be true? Toho are probably much more involved in the creative proceedings this go-round, considering what happened last time. What else has been indicated as possibly being true? Legendary's CEO may be a genuine Godzilla fan.

How about the notion that WB/LP know that they need to please the Godzilla fan base first and foremost? Does that sound realistic? Between aiming to make money, negotiating with Toho and possibly fulfilling their own lifelong dreams, does that really sound like something that Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures are concerned with?


GojiraKnight wrote:Why would any studio respect the source material if not to please the fanbase?


Because Toho (and possibly Thomas Tull) have respect for the source material and they want to see it done right? And because GINO was a critical and commercial failure with little respect for the source material which they don't want to replicate?

Nah, it's gotta be because what WB/LP need to do before anything else is please us, the fan base, and they simply must know that.


GojiraKnight wrote:And I disagree that Godzilla fans are impossible to please. Most seem pretty accepting of any changes they make to the character.


I guarantee you, no matter how ANY Godzilla movie is done, Japanese or American, there will always be a sizable chunk of the fan base that doesn't like it, just as surely as there will always be plenty who love it. The Godzilla fan base as a whole is impossible to please; the best you can hope for is a simple majority. Do you remember when Godzilla's all-out 50th anniversary event film polarized the online communities about five years ago?

Say LP/WB were aiming to cater to the fan base, so they personally interviewed 100 Godzilla fans to learn what they would specifically want from the upcoming film. They'd get 100 different answers, 100 different ideas of how Godzilla should be portrayed. Half of them would want Godzilla to have his '54/'84-'91 roar and half would want the more widely-known variation. Pleasing a genre fan base is an impossible task, especially when it comes to Godzilla.


It really sounds like to me that you and I are arguing over something we agree on.

I'm saying they are going to please the fanbase by respecting the character in order to make money.

You're saying that in order to make money they are going to respect the character to please the fanbase.

We both agree that they are going to respect the character. That right there is pleasing the fanbase. Do I expect them to run a survey or poll where they incorporate every last one of our most arcane desires? No, of course not. But they do need to keep us happy, by and large, with the direction of the character. Because historically, if fans don't like it, nobody likes it.
Monster Zero's "Most Naive Person About 'The Business'" for 7 years running!
User avatar
Gojiraknight
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1004
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 12:12 am
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma

Postby Benjamin Haines » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:53 pm

GojiraKnight wrote:You're saying that in order to make money they are going to respect the character to please the fanbase.


No, I'm saying that in order to make money they are going to respect the character to have something to entice mainstream crowds who still have the bad taste of GINO in their mouths.

The fan base is just a drop in the bucket compared to the mainstream, and we're talking about Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures, the former being perhaps the most lucrative motion picture studio in Hollywood. Godzilla fans will make up perhaps 1% of this movie's opening weekend gross. Between that and the fact that they'll have to be wary to satisfy Toho's side, I assure, the fan base is none of the movie studio's concern.


GojiraKnight wrote:We both agree that they are going to respect the character. That right there is pleasing the fanbase. Do I expect them to run a survey or poll where they incorporate every last one of our most arcane desires? No, of course not. But they do need to keep us happy, by and large, with the direction of the character. Because historically, if fans don't like it, nobody likes it.


You're missing the point; different fans have different ideas about what "respecting the character" constitutes. Some fans want dark and serious, some people want light and campy, some want something somewhere in the middle of the spectrum. No matter what direction LP/WB decide is best for them to respect the character, there will always be a sizable chunk of fans who just don't like it. To whoever those fans end up being, the LP/WB film will not feel like it was made to please them.
Image
User avatar
Benjamin Haines
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 4984
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: North Carolina

Postby Gojiraknight » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:22 pm

I think every fan knows what "respecting the character" means. They just have different desires regarding what tone or presentation this movie takes.

Except for the most die-hard cynics, do you think any G-Fan is really going to spit all over this movie if it respects the character but presents Godzilla as say, a good guy? Of course not. I am sure that the average G-Fan is happy that this is even being made. They may just be a little wary of another GINO. But given WB/LP went out of there way to say "This will not be another GINO", then that means that they respect the character, are listening to the fanbase, and hope this will lead the way to riches.
Monster Zero's "Most Naive Person About 'The Business'" for 7 years running!
User avatar
Gojiraknight
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1004
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 12:12 am
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma

Re: G'16.. Know what I can't wait for? The marketing!

Postby mr.negativity » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:58 am

User avatar
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 7435
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 7:27 am
Location: The Negative Zone

Re: The Tie-Ins

Postby klen7 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:47 am

That's cool. Looks like its ~$135 for the 6 year, and ~$225 for the 24 year. Price aside, I can't imagine how complicated importing alcohol internationally would be (my state technically you can't bring more than one bottle of wine across state lines every two months, and shipping to residences is not allowed).
User avatar
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 6984
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:34 pm
Location: beyond your peripheral vision

Previous

Return to Shin Godzilla and Beyond!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest