The Tie-Ins

Discussion on Shin Godzilla and rumors, news, and speculation on other possible future Godzilla projects, including the Godzilla Anime project! Discuss them here!

Moderator: Controllers

The Tie-Ins

Postby lhb412 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:43 am

You know what I really loved about GINO?

I was 10 years old and Godzilla movies were on television, on the cover of the kids magazines I read (I wish I still had that Dinsey Adventures issue with the completely original computer generated cartoon-like Godzilla on the cover), and most of the films rereleased on video.

I'd like to see Turner Classic Movies doing a Godzilla night like they did a Harryhausen night a week ago when Clash was released. I'd love for a lot of the films to be released on Blu-Ray... I mean, I don't actually have a player yet, but I'll definetely have one by 2012.

You know what I mean?
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Legion » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:54 am

Technically, aren't tie-ins part of marketing?
http://legion1979.tumblr.com/

Hello, Nice Warners! - A Thorough Analysis of Every Animaniacs Episode
Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:04 pm

In a roundabout sort of way, but what I mean is "other folks riding the Godzilla bandwagon", not things Legendary does to promote their film.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:08 pm

lhb412 wrote:In a roundabout sort of way, but what I mean is "other folks riding the Godzilla bandwagon", not things Legendary does to promote their film.
YES YES YES

it's the ONE thing I'm excited about without any apprehensions at all

a new Godzilla movie means a new Godzilla marketing blitz and everyone that has their various Godzilla licenses will be jumping on the bandwagon again

if the movie is a hit, there will be a TREMENDOUS wave of Godzilla merchandise and I just think that is awesome
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Gojiraknight » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:13 pm

Well, let's back up the truck here a little bit. I'm sure a lot of merchandisers still remember the disaster that was GINO and will be a little weery before jumping back on board the Godzilla bandwagon.

We may see a little bit more a low-key approach this time, ala BB.
Monster Zero's "Most Naive Person About 'The Business'" for 7 years running!
Gojiraknight
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Legion » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:53 pm

GojiraKnight wrote:Well, let's back up the truck here a little bit. I'm sure a lot of merchandisers still remember the disaster that was GINO and will be a little weery before jumping back on board the Godzilla bandwagon.

Exactly. Most - if not all - GINO merchandise tie-ins sold poorly. I don't think we're going to suddenly see a huge explosion of Godzilla-related products this time around. Additionally, the nature of product tie-ins have changed as the toy industry has changed to push out all but the most successful franchises.

Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:23 pm

Legion wrote:
GojiraKnight wrote:Well, let's back up the truck here a little bit. I'm sure a lot of merchandisers still remember the disaster that was GINO and will be a little weery before jumping back on board the Godzilla bandwagon.

Exactly. Most - if not all - GINO merchandise tie-ins sold poorly. I don't think we're going to suddenly see a huge explosion of Godzilla-related products this time around. Additionally, the nature of product tie-ins have changed as the toy industry has changed to push out all but the most successful franchises.

Yeah, I think if there is a line it will be fairly small and will be limited to certain retailers. How to Train Your Pet dragon has a toy line composed almost entirely (maybe entirely) of Wal-Mart exclusives. If someone does pick it up it'd be Toys R Us or K-Mart since they seem to carry even the BC line.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Legion » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:43 pm

MekaGojira3k wrote:
Yeah, I think if there is a line it will be fairly small and will be limited to certain retailers. How to Train Your Pet dragon has a toy line composed almost entirely (maybe entirely) of Wal-Mart exclusives. If someone does pick it up it'd be Toys R Us or K-Mart since they seem to carry even the BC line.

Or we may just get a high end product or two like Cloverfield got and little else.

Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:46 pm

Legion wrote:
MekaGojira3k wrote:

Or we may just get a high end product or two like Cloverfield got and little else.

Yeah, I'm not counting it out just yet. Who knows if somebody is willing to take a chance on Godzilla again.

Regardless...we'll have a ton of stuff from Bandai so it's not like a drought here matters.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Legion » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:04 pm

Oh definitely. I have no doubt we'll get something from Bandai in Japan. While there's no guarantee that US marketing for this film will include the older movies and monsters, you can bet that we'll see some new toys and products featuring some classic stuff in Japan.

Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:46 pm

I think you guys are beeing a bit too conservative. I'd be really suprised if we didn't get some TV airings and some Blu-ray discs out of this deal. Godzilla is a special case because despite Legendary making this movie they're not the only ones with Godzilla licences. We might see Disney release Bio for one thing!
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:54 pm

Yeah, we're talking about a minimum-risk bandwagon here. Sony, Disney, Classic Media and Universal all own North American video rights to Godzilla movies, so it's not like they'd have to jump through any hoops to cash in on any level of hype. There's no doubt in my mind that we'll be seeing a new wave of DVD/blueray releases, even if a lot of them are identical to previous editions. I'll bet Sony gives the Heisei films and G2K the dual-language, widescreen treatment, but I wouldn't be surprised if they just re-issued their same old Showa and Millennium discs in new packaging. It's not like dubtitles are anything they're going to fret over correcting.

Godzilla movies on television are also a given. SciFi Channel will be on that like white on rice, and TCM will probably have a go at it too.

There's also sure to be lots of magazines promoting the film as we near the release date. Wizard, Empire, probably even ToyFare.
Benjamin Haines
Burning Godzilla

Postby TerranigmaFreak » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:02 pm

We finally got the Heisei movies released on video when GINO came out, I'm not sure what else besides more toys and merchandise could come from this. Well... maybe a limited release of the Millennium movies in theaters? They're already out on freaking DVD.
TerranigmaFreak
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Legion » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:09 pm

Oh I'm sure we'll get DVDs/blu-rays and some TV airings. It's the toys and collectibles I wouldn't get too worked up about.

Benjamin Haines wrote:Godzilla movies on television are also a given. SciFi Channel will be on that like white on rice...

Says who? Does SyFy even show science fiction anymore? When was the last time they showed a Godzilla movies period? I heard today that they're going to start airing food-related shows.

Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:23 pm

Legion wrote:
MekaGojira3k wrote:

It'll probably be comparable to the merchandising for Jackson's Kong. A toy line, noise hands/feet or whatever and some random odds and ends... I doubt it'll be something huge like GINO had. Even the Dark Knight didn't have THAT much stuff come out for it and that was probably the most hyped movie of the last decade. I feel like the huge merchandising aspect of Hollywood is kinda dead unless its coming from a Disney movie or a Star Wars prequel or something. Remember when movies in the late 90s/early 00's had stuff EVERYWHERE. Collector's cups, happy meals, a million board games and toys. Characters had giant cardboard cutouts advertising Cheez-Its or whatever and were on Pepsi cans... That doesn't happen so much these days.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby king_ghidorah » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:00 pm

MouthForWar wrote:
Legion wrote:
MekaGojira3k wrote:

It'll probably be comparable to the merchandising for Jackson's Kong. A toy line, noise hands/feet or whatever and some random odds and ends... I doubt it'll be something huge like GINO had. Even the Dark Knight didn't have THAT much stuff come out for it and that was probably the most hyped movie of the last decade. I feel like the huge merchandising aspect of Hollywood is kinda dead unless its coming from a Disney movie or a Star Wars prequel or something. Remember when movies in the late 90s/early 00's had stuff EVERYWHERE. Collector's cups, happy meals, a million board games and toys. Characters had giant cardboard cutouts advertising Cheez-Its or whatever and were on Pepsi cans... That doesn't happen so much these days.

And for some reason...I actually kind of miss all of that...I remember being consumed with the quest to collect all of the Jurassic Park and Batman Returns cups...and heck...I even loved the heck out of my original Land Before Time puppets from Pizza Hutt...
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:06 pm

King_Ghidorah wrote:
MouthForWar wrote:
Legion wrote:
MekaGojira3k wrote:

And for some reason...I actually kind of miss all of that...I remember being consumed with the quest to collect all of the Jurassic Park and Batman Returns cups...and heck...I even loved the heck out of my original Land Before Time puppets from Pizza Hutt...

Soooo offf topic, but I loved my Land Before Time puppets.
>_>

Carry on with the rest of the thread.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby The Shadow » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:23 pm

Godzilla + LEGO, make it happen people (whoever you are)
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow
Burning Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:33 pm

A.) I'm thinking more along the lines of the OP in that I'm not all amped up for official movie merchandise as I am OTHER companies outside of LP trying to cash-in on a new Godzilla craze...SONY could finally give us Heisei DVDs worth a damn - and perhaps we could see our ways to getting a worthwhile release of DAM - AND perhaps we could FINALLY get Megalon, G85 and Biollante on DVD...ALSO, Godzilla movies on TV...ALSO, just general stuff like that people who have rights to various Godzilla stuff cashing it in for the quick buck

B.) I too miss the days of a movie appearing EVERYWHERE...remember when the first TMNT movies came out and they had Ooze Pudding at Pizza Hut??? I LOVED that stuff

C.) Lego Godzilla would be monumentally awesome....
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby MouthForWar » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:48 pm

MekaGojira3k wrote:
King_Ghidorah wrote:
MouthForWar wrote:
Legion wrote:
MekaGojira3k wrote:

Soooo offf topic, but I loved my Land Before Time puppets.
>_>

Carry on with the rest of the thread.

I had those puppets too, man... good times.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:38 am

Um....shouldn't this thread be merged with the Marketing or Merchandising thread (in fact, shouldn't those two threads be merged as well???)? While's it nice to see some life and real news on this board after a few dead years, it's becoming a little silly and mundane recently all with these seperate threads that cover closely related topics (ie: The actors,The Score,The director, the screenwriters, the marketing, the merchandising, the tie-ins, etc.etc. etc. what's next...."G2012: The catering menu for the crew"? :roll: Alot of these topics/threads should be merged...
GIANTC0ND0R!!!!!!!! :eek:

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla

Postby takuGuy » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:11 am

I'm interested in the possible affects the potential success of this film has on the genre at large. We know Tsuburaya was shopping Ultraman around overseas last year. Would G12's success renew interest in the Ultra franchise for a possible Hollywood adaptation to cash-in? What about Gamera?

Will it light a fire under JJ Abrams ass, and move Cloverfield 2 forward?

If Legendary doesn't botch things, we could be in for a Hollywood kaiju Renaissance.
takuGuy
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Tom R VanSlambrouck » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:09 am

There's no doubt in my mind we'll get DVD reissues and Blu-Ray releases for this.

SyFy will show the Heisei stuff and probably the Mothra Trilogy. They used to air Land of the Lost all the time but took it off and brought it back for a Memorial Day Weekend Marathon last year to cash in on the film. So we will get kaiju flicks on SyFy.
The member formerly known as gvamp
Tom R VanSlambrouck
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:17 am

MouthForWar wrote:

*looks at Dr. Pepper can I'm drinking. It has Robert Downy Jr. and Iron Man on it*

Well, it happens a little...

But I'm glad that the merchanidise thing isn't as huge anymore. It was fun when I was younger, but older, more jaded me might get sick of anything.

But that's marketing - this is the "riding on the coat-tails" thread.

Okay: we've pretty much agreed the Blu-ray and TV showings are a given. As a matter of fact, wasn't there some little release party thing for Sony's Icon's of Sci Fi: Toho Collection where some guys at Sony said they were interested in better DVDs of their Heisei films?

Amazon.com has a lot of Godzilla T-shirts up for sale, might see a bigger push from the folks behind those.

Oh, American Greetings Godzilla licence! We might see some more cool stuff from them. I loved their calendar from a few years back.

Um....shouldn't this thread be merged with the Marketing or Merchandising thread (in fact, shouldn't those two threads be merged as well???)? While's it nice to see some life and real news on this board after a few dead years, it's becoming a little silly and mundane recently all with these seperate threads that cover closely related topics (ie: The actors,The Score,The director, the screenwriters, the marketing, the merchandising, the tie-ins, etc.etc. etc. what's next...."G2012: The catering menu for the crew"? Alot of these topics/threads should be merged...

You know what I'd serve the crew? Fresh vegatables and fruits. We Americans eat too much sugary processed stuff.

um.... *moves Dr. Pepper can out of view of the computer*
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby TerranigmaFreak » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:38 am

King_Ghidorah wrote:And for some reason...I actually kind of miss all of that...I remember being consumed with the quest to collect all of the Jurassic Park and Batman Returns cups...and heck...I even loved the heck out of my original Land Before Time puppets from Pizza Hutt...

Oh man, if only we can get figures that rivals Jurassic Park in quality, that would be amazing. Even JP3 didn't have that level of merchandise. They had the big Spinosaurus toy and that was it. Everything else were regular/small size figures.
TerranigmaFreak
Heisei Godzilla

Next

Return to Shin Godzilla and Beyond!