G2012: Multiple Monsters?

Discussion on Shin Godzilla and rumors, news, and speculation on other possible future Godzilla projects, including the Godzilla Anime project! Discuss them here!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby jellydonut25 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:16 pm

Benjamin Haines wrote:
mrbluehair wrote:You can also pretty much bet IF they use a MECHA of any type for potential sequels that an "Avatar" type scenario would take place.

I mean think, an unmanned MECHA whatever that is piloted by someone with a neural-link so they are the MECHA is a dream for any Godzilla fan. They capitalize on what is now established science fiction well....science and have, for the first time a man fighting Godzilla....

Actually you will have a man sort of in a suit, fighting Godzilla...how about that spin on man-in-suit....LOL


Sounds kind of like Marc Cerasini's Godzilla vs. the Robot Monsters novel.
ugh, while i enjoy those novels for what they are, and i still would like to get a look at the one that was never published...they are quite possibly the most overrated things in the history of officially licensed godzilla-dom...
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
User avatar
jellydonut25
Controller
 
Posts: 18395
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:18 am
Location: Houston, TX via Buffalo, NY

Postby MouthForWar » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:15 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:
Benjamin Haines wrote:
mrbluehair wrote:You can also pretty much bet IF they use a MECHA of any type for potential sequels that an "Avatar" type scenario would take place.

I mean think, an unmanned MECHA whatever that is piloted by someone with a neural-link so they are the MECHA is a dream for any Godzilla fan. They capitalize on what is now established science fiction well....science and have, for the first time a man fighting Godzilla....

Actually you will have a man sort of in a suit, fighting Godzilla...how about that spin on man-in-suit....LOL


Sounds kind of like Marc Cerasini's Godzilla vs. the Robot Monsters novel.
ugh, while i enjoy those novels for what they are, and i still would like to get a look at the one that was never published...they are quite possibly the most overrated things in the history of officially licensed godzilla-dom...


Really? I didn't even think anybody remembered those.
User avatar
MouthForWar
Controller
 
Posts: 14691
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:01 am
Location: Livonia, MI

Postby kiryugoji04 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:17 am

I sincerely doubt we're getting a Hedorah remake. Just saying.
[DaiKamonohashi - Kiryugoji04 - Kaiju Hipster - Jared P. Foust]
User avatar
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 7570
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 4:50 pm
Location: Atlanta, Jawjuh

Postby Gojiraknight » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:26 am

I'd never say a movie that made over $500 million underperformed...

the other ones may have been smash-hits, but these movies did just fine.


Underperforming is when...
1.) You don't make nearly as much money as the movie that preceded you
(Shrek 4)
2.) You don't make that much more money as the movie that preceded you
(Iron Man 2)
3.) You don't make as much as people were expecting you to (GINO, Superman Returns, King Kong)

So yes, Shrek 4 and Iron Man 2 underperformed because they performed under what the industry expected them to. They may have not been bombs but they weren't the huge hits the industry thought they would be. Thus, they underperformed.


hence, my statement "The AVERAGE American movie-goer is a moron" and I stand by that.


Well, ok, that's your opinion and it's your right to stand by it. I disagree, but so be it.

I will say this though...the vast majority of the population considers themselves "Above Average". It's not like anyone considers themselves "Below Average", right? So it's very easy for us to sit on our internet mountaintop and rain judgment down on the lowly masses. But guess what? We ARE the lowly masses. We are the AVERAGE American movie-goer. And as the ubiquity of the internet grows a large slice of the
movie-going public will increasingly become the internet movie-going public. See what I mean?

So I think many people see movies knowing that they're bad or not caring that they're bad. After all, is a teenage girl who goes to see Twilight any dumber than us who would spend $10 to go see two-guys in a rubber suit beat the crap out of each other?

I hate to burst your bubble, but if you go see Transformers 2 because it's dumb fun you are the AVERAGE movie-goer. If you didn't go see The Hurt Locker even though it got good reviews because you'd rather wait for the DVD you are the AVERAGE movie-goer.

So let's just watch it with the elitism that is inherent in internet movie-dom.
Monster Zero's "Most Naive Person About 'The Business'" for 7 years running!
User avatar
Gojiraknight
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1004
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 12:12 am
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma

Postby jellydonut25 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:55 am

Maybe it's arrogant, I don't care, but I consider myself a lot smarter than most people.

There, I said it. I am smart. The rest of the world (more or less) is dumb.

I went to see Transformers 2 because the first one was better than I had expected; this film was much, much worse than I expected.

I didn't go see The Hurt Locker because there was only one theater near me playing it and I couldn't get to it.

Besides which, I like looking down on people from the internet because if you do it in real life, you're "antisocial" or "a jerk" :lol: :P

(please note that at least half of this post is tongue-in-cheek)
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
User avatar
jellydonut25
Controller
 
Posts: 18395
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:18 am
Location: Houston, TX via Buffalo, NY

Postby MekaGojira3k » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:07 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:Maybe it's arrogant, I don't care, but I consider myself a lot smarter than most people.

There, I said it. I am smart. The rest of the world (more or less) is dumb.

I went to see Transformers 2 because the first one was better than I had expected; this film was much, much worse than I expected.

I didn't go see The Hurt Locker because there was only one theater near me playing it and I couldn't get to it.

Besides which, I like looking down on people from the internet because if you do it in real life, you're "antisocial" or "a jerk" :lol: :P

(please note that at least half of this post is tongue-in-cheek)


There is nothing tounge-in-cheek about TF2. You are blatantly insulting a work of cinematic brilliance renowned all over the world.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
Image
User avatar
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 18273
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 11:13 am
Location: Ky, USA

Postby Green Dragon » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:23 pm

oh, it's tongue in cheek, alright. Just not the cheek everyone usually refers to. :wink:
www.facebook.com/wtodd

"...Tibby, I love you my fine little fella, even though you gave the whole family salmonella..."
User avatar
Green Dragon
Godzilla
 
Posts: 767
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:48 pm
Location: Hawaii & California

Postby Gojiraknight » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:08 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:Maybe it's arrogant, I don't care, but I consider myself a lot smarter than most people.

There, I said it. I am smart. The rest of the world (more or less) is dumb.

I went to see Transformers 2 because the first one was better than I had expected; this film was much, much worse than I expected.

I didn't go see The Hurt Locker because there was only one theater near me playing it and I couldn't get to it.

Besides which, I like looking down on people from the internet because if you do it in real life, you're "antisocial" or "a jerk" :lol: :P

(please note that at least half of this post is tongue-in-cheek)


I consider myself smarter than everyone else too. That's the point! Everyone does. Nobody thinks they're "as intelligent" or "less intelligent" than the rest of the population. But obviously not everyone can be smarter than everyone else.

So you seeing Transformers 2 and skipping The Hurt Locker is not indicative that you're dumb. It's just indicative of the fact that you were willing to sacrifice 2.5 hours of your life to watch the big, dumb fun afforded by TF2 but not 2.5 hours for the thought-provoking, dialogue-inducing drama offered by The Hurt Locker. So what? It's not worth a character judgment.

So let's stop jumping to the conclusion that the average American movie-goer is dumb and only wants to see dumb movies because they like dumb things. If they want to see the movie, they'll go see it, whether it's dumb (TF2) or smart (TDK). Likewise if they don't want to see the movie they won't go see it whether it's dumb (The Virginity Hit) or smart (Synecdoche, NY).

That's just the movie business, in all of it's confusing, contradictory, counterintuitive glory.

Resolved: This Godzilla movie can be SMART and still make money.

Thank you and goodnight.
Monster Zero's "Most Naive Person About 'The Business'" for 7 years running!
User avatar
Gojiraknight
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1004
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 12:12 am
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma

Postby kiryugoji04 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:54 pm

Gojiraknight wrote:I consider myself smarter than everyone else too. That's the point! Everyone does. Nobody thinks they're "as intelligent" or "less intelligent" than the rest of the population.


Not true! I will fully admit that I have nothing on Stephen Hawking!
[DaiKamonohashi - Kiryugoji04 - Kaiju Hipster - Jared P. Foust]
User avatar
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 7570
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 4:50 pm
Location: Atlanta, Jawjuh

Postby jellydonut25 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:49 pm

kiryugoji04 wrote:
Gojiraknight wrote:I consider myself smarter than everyone else too. That's the point! Everyone does. Nobody thinks they're "as intelligent" or "less intelligent" than the rest of the population.


Not true! I will fully admit that I have nothing on Stephen Hawking!
i have LOTS on Stephen Hawking.

I can move my legs, for starters...

sorry that was a REALLY low blow...


he's a genius...i'm just a smart dude.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
User avatar
jellydonut25
Controller
 
Posts: 18395
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:18 am
Location: Houston, TX via Buffalo, NY

Postby metal_bryan » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:05 pm

MouthForWar wrote:
jellydonut25 wrote:
Benjamin Haines wrote:
mrbluehair wrote:You can also pretty much bet IF they use a MECHA of any type for potential sequels that an "Avatar" type scenario would take place.

I mean think, an unmanned MECHA whatever that is piloted by someone with a neural-link so they are the MECHA is a dream for any Godzilla fan. They capitalize on what is now established science fiction well....science and have, for the first time a man fighting Godzilla....

Actually you will have a man sort of in a suit, fighting Godzilla...how about that spin on man-in-suit....LOL


Sounds kind of like Marc Cerasini's Godzilla vs. the Robot Monsters novel.
ugh, while i enjoy those novels for what they are, and i still would like to get a look at the one that was never published...they are quite possibly the most overrated things in the history of officially licensed godzilla-dom...


Really? I didn't even think anybody remembered those.


I liked those books... :(
User avatar
metal_bryan
Controller
 
Posts: 4249
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:59 am
Location: Florida, USA

Postby mrbluehair » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:33 pm

metal_bryan wrote:
MouthForWar wrote:
jellydonut25 wrote:
Benjamin Haines wrote:
mrbluehair wrote:You can also pretty much bet IF they use a MECHA of any type for potential sequels that an "Avatar" type scenario would take place.

I mean think, an unmanned MECHA whatever that is piloted by someone with a neural-link so they are the MECHA is a dream for any Godzilla fan. They capitalize on what is now established science fiction well....science and have, for the first time a man fighting Godzilla....

Actually you will have a man sort of in a suit, fighting Godzilla...how about that spin on man-in-suit....LOL


Sounds kind of like Marc Cerasini's Godzilla vs. the Robot Monsters novel.
ugh, while i enjoy those novels for what they are, and i still would like to get a look at the one that was never published...they are quite possibly the most overrated things in the history of officially licensed godzilla-dom...


Really? I didn't even think anybody remembered those.


I liked those books... :(


I bought one...never read past chapter 1. Never much of a reader but at the time it was the only new Godzilla stuff I could find.
You must show no mercy, nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you... for your greatness will silence them all!
User avatar
mrbluehair
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1353
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:21 pm
Location: California

Postby jellydonut25 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:45 pm

metal_bryan wrote:
MouthForWar wrote:
jellydonut25 wrote:
Benjamin Haines wrote:
mrbluehair wrote:You can also pretty much bet IF they use a MECHA of any type for potential sequels that an "Avatar" type scenario would take place.

I mean think, an unmanned MECHA whatever that is piloted by someone with a neural-link so they are the MECHA is a dream for any Godzilla fan. They capitalize on what is now established science fiction well....science and have, for the first time a man fighting Godzilla....

Actually you will have a man sort of in a suit, fighting Godzilla...how about that spin on man-in-suit....LOL


Sounds kind of like Marc Cerasini's Godzilla vs. the Robot Monsters novel.
ugh, while i enjoy those novels for what they are, and i still would like to get a look at the one that was never published...they are quite possibly the most overrated things in the history of officially licensed godzilla-dom...


Really? I didn't even think anybody remembered those.


I liked those books... :(
i liked 'em too, but it seems like they get showered with praise (not quite so much anymore, we've all moved on since then) but even when they were brand new, i only kind of liked 'em...
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
User avatar
jellydonut25
Controller
 
Posts: 18395
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:18 am
Location: Houston, TX via Buffalo, NY

Postby Gojiraknight » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:55 am

Wait a minute, now everybody is hating on Marc Cerasini's books? The most awesome Americanized version of Godzilla ever, the version that we would all give our proverbial right arms to have in the new movie?!?!

THE CYNICISM IS OUT OF CONTROL!!!!!!
Monster Zero's "Most Naive Person About 'The Business'" for 7 years running!
User avatar
Gojiraknight
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1004
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 12:12 am
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma

Postby Andrew Nguyen » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:01 pm

Gojiraknight wrote:Wait a minute, now everybody is hating on Marc Cerasini's books? The most awesome Americanized version of Godzilla ever, the version that we would all give our proverbial right arms to have in the new movie?!?!

THE CYNICISM IS OUT OF CONTROL!!!!!!



Amen to that, this is a huge shock to say the least.
I got no problem with anybody who jumps into a Starfury and rides fire! (Babylon 5)
Andrew Nguyen
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1343
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2003 9:51 pm
Location: Placentia, CA.

Postby jellydonut25 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:33 pm

Gojiraknight wrote:Wait a minute, now everybody is hating on Marc Cerasini's books? The most awesome Americanized version of Godzilla ever, the version that we would all give our proverbial right arms to have in the new movie?!?!

THE CYNICISM IS OUT OF CONTROL!!!!!!
dude, Godzilla at World's End and Godzilla vs. the Robot Monsters (ESPECIALLY the latter) are boring, BORING books.

I wouldn't give my right arm to see either one of those movies adapted. And as for Godzilla 2000, it's only ok...the only one that is a pretty good book on its own merits is Godzilla Returns and that one borrows so heavily from Gojira/Godzilla King of the Monsters and Godzilla 1985 that it really loses a lot of its power.

They're VASTLY overrated, if you ask me.

It doesn't mean I hate them, if you picked up your reading comprehension skills, you'd notice I said I liked them for what they were but they get built up to be this ultra-standard and they really aren't THAT good...

almost all of them feature some neat ideas but not one of them is amazing from end to end...
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
User avatar
jellydonut25
Controller
 
Posts: 18395
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:18 am
Location: Houston, TX via Buffalo, NY

Postby Gojiraknight » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:27 pm

It doesn't mean I hate them, if you picked up your reading comprehension skills, you'd notice I said I liked them for what they were but they get built up to be this ultra-standard and they really aren't THAT good...


One time, ONE TIME I make a mistake and now I'm going to have to always wear a scarlet letter "I" (Illiterate)?

This place is turning into 18th century New England!

And I'm very sorry if my post failed to convey the nuance of your argument. You don't hate these books, you just think they aren't that good.

You do realize I'm $hitting with you, right?
Last edited by Gojiraknight on Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Monster Zero's "Most Naive Person About 'The Business'" for 7 years running!
User avatar
Gojiraknight
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1004
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 12:12 am
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma

Postby kiryugoji04 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:43 pm

Get back to sewing that letter on all your clothes.
[DaiKamonohashi - Kiryugoji04 - Kaiju Hipster - Jared P. Foust]
User avatar
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 7570
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 4:50 pm
Location: Atlanta, Jawjuh

Postby jellydonut25 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:39 pm

Gojiraknight wrote:You do realize I'm $hitting with you, right?
I did not realize it mostly because just about EVERYTHING you've posted in the various topics on Legendary Pictures' Godzilla film is counter to what I think...

:P
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
User avatar
jellydonut25
Controller
 
Posts: 18395
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:18 am
Location: Houston, TX via Buffalo, NY

Postby Gojiraknight » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:53 am

jellydonut25 wrote:
Gojiraknight wrote:You do realize I'm $hitting with you, right?
I did not realize it mostly because just about EVERYTHING you've posted in the various topics on Legendary Pictures' Godzilla film is counter to what I think...

:P


Allow me to correct any misconceptions...

I DO disagree with you on most everything. Not because I'm being obstinant, mind you, but because you happen to be incorrect on many things.

I am $hitting with you insofar as my choice of verbage in discussing these topics. Again, I'm just trying to keep things interesting. No hurt feelings, I hope.

That is all...
Monster Zero's "Most Naive Person About 'The Business'" for 7 years running!
User avatar
Gojiraknight
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1004
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 12:12 am
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma

Postby jellydonut25 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:54 pm

Gojiraknight wrote:
jellydonut25 wrote:
Gojiraknight wrote:You do realize I'm $hitting with you, right?
I did not realize it mostly because just about EVERYTHING you've posted in the various topics on Legendary Pictures' Godzilla film is counter to what I think...

:P


Allow me to correct any misconceptions...

I DO disagree with you on most everything. Not because I'm being obstinant, mind you, but because you happen to be incorrect on many things.

I am $hitting with you insofar as my choice of verbage in discussing these topics. Again, I'm just trying to keep things interesting. No hurt feelings, I hope.

That is all...
trust me, no hurt feelings. this is the internet. PLUS, it's nearly impossible to hear tone, emphasis or see facial expressions in written words on a message board.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
User avatar
jellydonut25
Controller
 
Posts: 18395
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:18 am
Location: Houston, TX via Buffalo, NY

Postby Flame of Udin » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:39 am

Geez, leave it to the LP Godzilla thread to stir up drama.....
User avatar
Flame of Udin
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1825
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 8:53 pm
Location: Delray Beach, Florida

Postby jellydonut25 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:16 am

Flame of Udin wrote:Geez, leave it to the LP Godzilla thread to stir up drama.....
yeah, but we're talking about our feelings in an open way...it's only a matter of time before this shouting and yelling turns into crying and hugging...
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
User avatar
jellydonut25
Controller
 
Posts: 18395
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:18 am
Location: Houston, TX via Buffalo, NY

Postby Gojiraknight » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:38 am

jellydonut25 wrote:
Flame of Udin wrote:Geez, leave it to the LP Godzilla thread to stir up drama.....
yeah, but we're talking about our feelings in an open way...it's only a matter of time before this shouting and yelling turns into crying and hugging...


Whoa, whoa, whoa, back up the truck there Oprah...I still hate you. It's just not personal.
Monster Zero's "Most Naive Person About 'The Business'" for 7 years running!
User avatar
Gojiraknight
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1004
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 12:12 am
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma

Postby kiryugoji04 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:48 am

Image
[DaiKamonohashi - Kiryugoji04 - Kaiju Hipster - Jared P. Foust]
User avatar
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 7570
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 4:50 pm
Location: Atlanta, Jawjuh

PreviousNext

Return to Shin Godzilla and Beyond!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest