G2012:The Screenwriters

Discussion on Shin Godzilla and rumors, news, and speculation on other possible future Godzilla projects, including the Godzilla Anime project! Discuss them here!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby Henry88 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:53 am

jellydonut25 wrote:
lhb412 wrote:*ducks head into the forum*

So... anything new?

...I watched Godzilla's Revenge today.

...well, I suppose I'll check back soon.
we can only hope this movie is that good.

what wonderful ray's of sunshine you guy's are
ROBOT CO-OP IS GAMING COMEDY
https://robotco-op.com/
Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Gojiraknight » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:39 am

lhb412 wrote:*ducks head into the forum*

So... anything new?

...I watched Godzilla's Revenge today.

...well, I suppose I'll check back soon.

What was he getting Revenge for anyway? Gabbara picking on his kid? Because on the list of stuff that's happen to Godzilla, that's pretty low on the "worthy of vengeance" scale.

You must've not gotten the memo. No optimism allowed. This movie will be mediocre at best. Consider yourself corrected.
Monster Zero's "Most Naive Person About 'The Business'" for 7 years running!
Gojiraknight
Heisei Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:07 pm

Gojiraknight wrote:What was he getting Revenge for anyway? Gabbara picking on his kid? Because on the list of stuff that's happen to Godzilla, that's pretty low on the "worthy of vengeance" scale.

I don't know. All Monsters Attack makes only slightly more sense.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:47 pm

Gojiraknight wrote:

You must've not gotten the memo. No optimism allowed. This movie will be mediocre at best. Consider yourself corrected.
now you're gettin it!!!
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby MekaGojira3k » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:57 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:
Gojiraknight wrote:

now you're gettin it!!!

I really thought this stuff had been posted in the board rules, but I guess I was wrong.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Gojiraknight » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:29 pm

lhb412 wrote:
Gojiraknight wrote:What was he getting Revenge for anyway? Gabbara picking on his kid? Because on the list of stuff that's happen to Godzilla, that's pretty low on the "worthy of vengeance" scale.

Eh...not really. Only one monster was attacking. Actually, the best title would've been Godzilla on Monster Island. But they used that for Gigan for some reason.
Gojiraknight
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:33 pm

Gojiraknight wrote:
lhb412 wrote:

Eh...not really. Only one monster was attacking. Actually, the best title would've been Godzilla on Monster Island. But they used that for Gigan for some reason.

More than one monster. Gabara, Ebirah, Kamacuras, Kumonga
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:35 pm

It SHOULD have been titled, "Super Fun Happy Awesome Godzilla Mega Ultra Clip Show of Gratitude" like other overly lengthy and descriptive Japanese titles.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Gojiraknight » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:23 pm

MekaGojira3k wrote:
Gojiraknight wrote:
lhb412 wrote:

More than one monster. Gabara, Ebirah, Kamacuras, Kumonga

Debatable. Those were old clips, not all new monsters. But even if 4 monsters were attacking, not ALL monsters were attacking...wow, we have nothing to talk about.
Gojiraknight
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Legion » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:12 pm

What the Vulc are you people talking about?
http://legion1979.tumblr.com/

Hello, Nice Warners! - A Thorough Analysis of Every Animaniacs Episode
Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Tyler E. Martin » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:32 pm

Legion wrote:What the Vulc are you people talking about?

The same thing we talk about every night, Pinky...
Tyler E. Martin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:10 am

Tyler E. Martin wrote:

I think so Brain, but how can we impress upon everyone that they are fools for having optimistic thoughts about this movie?
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby walshiam » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:04 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:
Tyler E. Martin wrote:

I think so Brain, but how can we impress upon everyone that they are fools for having optimistic thoughts about this movie?

Because those involved with this production have a "benchmark" on how NOT to do a Godzilla movie. We have the idiots from '98 to thank for that!
walshiam
Godzilla

Postby Gabbara Davis, Jr. » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Gojiraknight wrote: But even if 4 monsters were attacking, not ALL monsters were attacking...wow, we have nothing to talk about.

You misunderstand the title. It was an imperative. ALL MONSTERS, ATTACK!

It was a command to the monsters, who then replied in unison with a shrug and a lethargic "Meh."

The monsters were all Jewish and it was the day after Sukkot.
Gabbara Davis, Jr.
Little Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:42 am

They responded with that AWESOME opening song...
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Gojiraknight » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:30 pm

Gabbara Davis, Jr. wrote:
Gojiraknight wrote: But even if 4 monsters were attacking, not ALL monsters were attacking...wow, we have nothing to talk about.

You misunderstand the title. It was an imperative. ALL MONSTERS, ATTACK!

It was a command to the monsters, who then replied in unison with a shrug and a lethargic "Meh."

The monsters were all Jewish and it was the day after Sukkot.

Are you sure it wasn't ALL MONSTERS ATTACK...? Just a declarative sentence. Actually, I think that would be the most accurate. All monsters do, in fact, attack.
Gojiraknight
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Andrew Nguyen » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:49 pm

I'm surprised that no one here has recommended that an attempt should be to get the services of J. Michael Straczynski (the creator of Babylon 5).
I got no problem with anybody who jumps into a Starfury and rides fire! (Babylon 5)
Andrew Nguyen
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Henry88 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:25 pm

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1709264/

a small record to go on but as i said before give him chance he may surprise us 8-)
ROBOT CO-OP IS GAMING COMEDY
https://robotco-op.com/
Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:13 pm

Andrew Nguyen wrote:I'm surprised that no one here has recommended that an attempt should be to get the services of J. Michael Straczynski (the creator of Babylon 5).
perhaps that's because we already have a confirmed screenwriter...
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Andrew Nguyen » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:13 am

jellydonut25 wrote:
Andrew Nguyen wrote:I'm surprised that no one here has recommended that an attempt should be to get the services of J. Michael Straczynski (the creator of Babylon 5).
perhaps that's because we already have a confirmed screenwriter...

Okay then I am sorry (my apologies). (man I feel like an idiot).
I got no problem with anybody who jumps into a Starfury and rides fire! (Babylon 5)
Andrew Nguyen
Heisei Godzilla

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:41 pm

Ghost of Criswell wrote:http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1709264/

a small record to go on but as i said before give him chance he may surprise us 8-)

The screenwriter who wrote Doom , The Expendables, and the Horsemen...*sigh* :? :-\ ...definitely not off to a good start....
GIANTC0ND0R!!!!!!!! :eek:

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:47 pm

Nope...pretty much the worst news possible for this sort of thing as I thought all of those movies stunk to a level that nearly blocked out the sun
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:41 pm

EVERYONE CALM DOWN. We already went over this.

MouthForWar wrote:David Callaham (The Expendables, Doom) is currently writing a draft of Godzilla.

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/motion-capt ... s-director

Not sure what to make of this. Movies go through SO many uncredited rewrites that unless you're a writer/director or a very high profile writer like Aaron Sorkin or Charlie Kaufman, its hard to know how much of the credited writer's work is being shown on screen. The WGA only credits to people who have the most STORY elements in the film as the screenwriters, rather than how close the final shooting script was to the final product- often, the author of the FINAL script polish isn't credited since they didn't contribute anything new to the basic story. For example, Edward Norton wrote the final draft of the Incredible Hulk, dialogue and all, and isn't credited. Frank Darabont wrote the final draft of Collateral, Quentin Tarantino wrote Crimson Tide, etc, etc. And on the other end, John Carpenter is credited as the screenwriter on Eyes of Laura Mars, yet the final script is NOTHING like the final film, even on some very basic levels. Heck, Elliot and Russo still got credits on GINO, which used NONE of their script. Same goes for David Hayter's screenwriter credit on Watchmen (which didn't use his script at all).

And since both the Expendables and Doom have other writers' credited, there's no way we know how much of Callaham's script was or wasn't used.

So I'm neither opposed or excited. I try not to judge screenwriters since its such an ambiguous credit.

Further examples... Scott Kosar wrote The Machinist, which was amazing and all his other credits are bad Platinum Dunes movies. The legendary/great Richard Matheson wrote Jaws 3-D, but he's also one of the best screenplay writers in the history of genre films. The writer of Shutter Island also wrote the god awful Pathfinder. The co-writer of Splice wrote a friggin Uwe Boll movie... Frank Darabont wrote that terrible Fly sequel. Tarantino wrote the final shooting script of It's Pat. Dan O'Bannon (Alien) is an amazing screenwriter, but he has just as many terrible films to his name as he does good ones. In other words, jumping to conclusions at this point is well... pointless. I know for a fact that the Expendables and Doom went through multiple rewrites and had other writers attached to them, so they are flimsy examples of Callham's skill or lack there of.

What's really going to matter is how the studio handles the writing process and what the director does with whatever script is decided on. I know its fun to sit around and be pessimistic all the time, but this isn't anything to be concerned about whatsoever.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby jellydonut25 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:53 pm

^^^ True that.

I laugh when I get called the supreme pessimist and yet the pots calling out this kettle are some of the ones in here saying that the screenwriter is just the first piece of bad news...

let's wait until we see who the director is, THEN we can start in with the REAL pessimism... :wink:
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby mrbluehair » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:51 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:^^^ True that.

I laugh when I get called the supreme pessimist and yet the pots calling out this kettle are some of the ones in here saying that the screenwriter is just the first piece of bad news...

let's wait until we see who the director is, THEN we can start in with the REAL pessimism... :wink:

So what I'm getting from you is that your pessimistic attitude is generated not from the original Godzilla but from the reboot/remake/re imagining and therefore is not directly related to the original canon? Then would it be true to say that based on the facts we have before us that we can reasonably assume you actually do not have a pessimistic attitude based not on facts but on hearsay and rumor?

Had to poke some fun at GK....gotta love his passion but man, I type a lot and he wears me out.

By the way, I have resigned to the wait and see mode.
You must show no mercy, nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you... for your greatness will silence them all!
mrbluehair
Heisei Godzilla

PreviousNext

Return to Shin Godzilla and Beyond!