G2012:The Screenwriters

Discussion on Shin Godzilla and rumors, news, and speculation on other possible future Godzilla projects, including the Godzilla Anime project! Discuss them here!

Moderator: Controllers

G2012:The Screenwriters

Postby Henry88 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:52 pm

Again i bring up the team of ted elliott and terry rossio the reason why

there work on zorro was very good and i feel they should be given another

chance with godzilla.
Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:19 pm

Michael Dougherty
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby JordanGLC » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:20 pm

I'll mention Michael Dougherty again now that this topic has it's own thread.
Let those who worship evil's might, beware my power...

My Creature Features
JordanGLC
Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:56 am

What about Lawrence Kasdan or Drew Goddard?
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby msweets13 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:10 am

Part me wants Orci & Kurtzman (Star Trek, Lost, Yeaah!!) and part of me doesn't (Transformers, Transformers 2 Boooo!!).

Meh, I don't know.
msweets13
Godzilla Jr.

Postby MouthForWar » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:26 am

msweets13 wrote:Part me wants Orci & Kurtzman (Star Trek, Lost, Yeaah!!) and part of me doesn't (Transformers, Transformers 2 Boooo!!).

Meh, I don't know.

I apply the same to David Goyer. The Goyer that wrote wrote Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Dark City and Blade 1 and 2 would be great. The Goyer that wrote Blade III would not.

Here's some more names for ya:

Scott Alexander and Larry Karaszewski (Ed Wood, 1408)
Neil Gaiman (Coraline)
Frank Darabont
James Gunn (Dawn of the Dead 04, Slither)
Alex Cox (Repo Man, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas)
John August (Big Fish)
John Sayles (The Howling, Spiderwick Chronicles)
David Hayter (X2, Watchmen)
Zak Penn (Incredible Hulk, X2)
Mark Fergus (Children of Men, Iron Man)
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby mr.negativity » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:29 am

Grant Morrison! Nuff Said!

David Hayter is going to be busy directing a movie called Wolves.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby msweets13 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:31 pm

MouthForWar wrote:
msweets13 wrote:Part me wants Orci & Kurtzman (Star Trek, Lost, Yeaah!!) and part of me doesn't (Transformers, Transformers 2 Boooo!!).

Meh, I don't know.

I apply the same to David Goyer. The Goyer that wrote wrote Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Dark City and Blade 1 and 2 would be great. The Goyer that wrote Blade III would not.

Here's some more names for ya:

Scott Alexander and Larry Karaszewski (Ed Wood, 1408)
Neil Gaiman (Coraline)
Frank Darabont
James Gunn (Dawn of the Dead 04, Slither)
Alex Cox (Repo Man, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas)
John August (Big Fish)
John Sayles (The Howling, Spiderwick Chronicles)
David Hayter (X2, Watchmen)
Zak Penn (Incredible Hulk, X2)
Mark Fergus (Children of Men, Iron Man)

Thanks for that handy list! From what I understand (correct me if I'm wrong) Goyer actually didn't have a lot to do with the Batman films, I mean he helped a lot with Batman Begins but the bulk of the work for the superior Dark Knight was done by Christopher Nolan and his brother Jonathan Nolan. Goyer is ok, but his track record as of late has not been all to great.
msweets13
Godzilla Jr.

Postby MouthForWar » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:34 pm

David Callaham (The Expendables, Doom) is currently writing a draft of Godzilla.

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/motion-capt ... s-director

Not sure what to make of this. Movies go through SO many uncredited rewrites that unless you're a writer/director or a very high profile writer like Aaron Sorkin or Charlie Kaufman, its hard to know how much of the credited writer's work is being shown on screen. The WGA only credits to people who have the most STORY elements in the film as the screenwriters, rather than how close the final shooting script was to the final product- often, the author of the FINAL script polish isn't credited since they didn't contribute anything new to the basic story. For example, Edward Norton wrote the final draft of the Incredible Hulk, dialogue and all, and isn't credited. Frank Darabont wrote the final draft of Collateral, Quentin Tarantino wrote Crimson Tide, etc, etc. And on the other end, John Carpenter is credited as the screenwriter on Eyes of Laura Mars, yet the final script is NOTHING like the final film, even on some very basic levels. Heck, Elliot and Russo still got credits on GINO, which used NONE of their script. Same goes for David Hayter's screenwriter credit on Watchmen (which didn't use his script at all).

And since both the Expendables and Doom have other writers' credited, there's no way we know how much of Callaham's script was or wasn't used.

So I'm neither opposed or excited. I try not to judge screenwriters since its such an ambiguous credit.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby Henry88 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:51 pm

lest' give the man a chance and lest see how this turns out
ROBOT CO-OP IS GAMING COMEDY
https://robotco-op.com/
Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:57 pm

im much MUCH more concerned with director and composer...
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Gojiraknight » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:38 pm

Doom would be the absolutely worst route to take. The last thing I want this film to be is a highly forgettable video game of a movie that gets released late August/early September and promptly dies, being buried by December in the Wal-Mart $5 DVD bin next to its older brother GINO.

Expendables would be an interesting take however. Nostalgic, kitschy, fun, action-packed. Not my preference obviously but an interesting approach nonetheless.

Personally, I'd rather a TV writer take this on. Lindelof and/or Cuse from Lost or David Eick and/or Ronald Moore from Battlestar Galactica. Writers who have shown an adeptness at handling deep sci-fi, heavy action, ensemble drama and contemporary relevance.
Monster Zero's "Most Naive Person About 'The Business'" for 7 years running!
Gojiraknight
Heisei Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:54 pm

MouthForWar wrote:David Callaham (The Expendables, Doom) is currently writing a draft of Godzilla.

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/motion-capt ... s-director

Not sure what to make of this. Movies go through SO many uncredited rewrites that unless you're a writer/director or a very high profile writer like Aaron Sorkin or Charlie Kaufman, its hard to know how much of the credited writer's work is being shown on screen. The WGA only credits to people who have the most STORY elements in the film as the screenwriters, rather than how close the final shooting script was to the final product- often, the author of the FINAL script polish isn't credited since they didn't contribute anything new to the basic story. For example, Edward Norton wrote the final draft of the Incredible Hulk, dialogue and all, and isn't credited. Frank Darabont wrote the final draft of Collateral, Quentin Tarantino wrote Crimson Tide, etc, etc. And on the other end, John Carpenter is credited as the screenwriter on Eyes of Laura Mars, yet the final script is NOTHING like the final film, even on some very basic levels. Heck, Elliot and Russo still got credits on GINO, which used NONE of their script. Same goes for David Hayter's screenwriter credit on Watchmen (which didn't use his script at all).

And since both the Expendables and Doom have other writers' credited, there's no way we know how much of Callaham's script was or wasn't used.

So I'm neither opposed or excited. I try not to judge screenwriters since its such an ambiguous credit.

Yeah, pretty much my perspective on the matter as well.

What's really important is the director.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:24 pm

Eh...I'm gonna go out on a limb and say this is a bad sign..I feel it in my cynical heart that this will just be the first in a series of dissapointing updates about this film..
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:28 pm

king_ghidorah wrote:Eh...I'm gonna go out on a limb and say this is a bad sign..I feel it in my cynical heart that this will just be the first in a series of dissapointing updates about this film..

Thing is, not only are Hollywood screenwriters VERY ambiguous credits, they are also works for hire who write based on guidelines given to them. This is how movies are made in Hollywood about 95% of the time, especially bigger films. I don't see why we shouldn't give this guy the benefit of the doubt. A screenwriter like this is exactly what I was expecting.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby jellydonut25 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:28 pm

king_ghidorah wrote:Eh...I'm gonna go out on a limb and say this is a bad sign..I feel it in my cynical heart that this will just be the first in a series of dissapointing updates about this film..
for me, it's kinda just what i've been expecting...this is a cash-in, it's not special just because we would KILL for it to be...unfortunately.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby MouthForWar » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:30 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:
for me, it's kinda just what i've been expecting...this is a cash-in, it's not special just because we would KILL for it to be...unfortunately.

As BAD as jelly makes that sound, its mostly true. I don't think of it as a bad thing though. That's how major Hollywood works. And sometimes you get total hackworks and other times you get something as surprising and successful as Iron Man, a film that was made in the same nature as this one.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby king_ghidorah » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:31 pm

I guess I'll eat a lil crow and say I don't like any screen writer mentioned thus far for writing this script...none of them really scream to me "Godzilla"...I'll wait and see I guess...don't really have a choice
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:32 pm

king_ghidorah wrote:I guess I'll eat a lil crow and say I don't like any screen writer mentioned thus far for writing this script...none of them really scream to me "Godzilla"...I'll wait and see I guess...don't really have a choice

Do you have any writers you'd like to see tackle the film?
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby king_ghidorah » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:37 pm

Nope...none that are American...heck...prob not even any Japanese...oh wait a sec...yeah there's that one awesome guy...what's his name...oh yeah, ME!!!!! lol
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:53 pm

MouthForWar wrote:
jellydonut25 wrote:

As BAD as jelly makes that sound, its mostly true. I don't think of it as a bad thing though. That's how major Hollywood works. And sometimes you get total hackworks and other times you get something as surprising and successful as Iron Man, a film that was made in the same nature as this one.
kinda what i was driving at...
just because WE want this to be a super-special moment, the first Godzilla movie in 8 years (by the time it's released), the first American Godzilla movie in 14 years, the second American Godzilla movie EVER, it doesn't mean that even the STUDIO that picked it up thinks it's anything more than that...this is HOLLYWOOD. everything is done for one (and ONLY ONE) reason: MONEY

king_ghidorah wrote:Nope...none that are American...heck...prob not even any Japanese...oh wait a sec...yeah there's that one awesome guy...what's his name...oh yeah, ME!!!!! lol
who's this "Me" guy??? I hear a lot about him, I'd like to meet him...he seems an interesting fellow...
Last edited by jellydonut25 on Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby DannyBeane » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:57 pm

There is also a good chance that even if he does write a "OH GODZILLA! WHAT TERRIBLE LANGUAGE!" script that so many people will tinker with it after he done that it will at least be watchable. In my scriptwriting class we are going over George Lucas's original treatment for Star Wars vs the actual shoot script and the difference between the two is like night and day.
DannyBeane
Burning Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:44 am

ALLOSAURZ wrote:There is also a good chance that even if he does write a OH GODZILLA! WHAT TERRIBLE LANGUAGE script that so many people will tinker with it after he done that it will at least be watchable. In my scriptwriting class we are going over George Lucas's original treatment for Star Wars vs the actual shoot script and the difference between the two is like night and day.
which is why there's just as good of a chance that he's written phenomenal scripts in the past and they've been RUINED by the tinkerers later on...
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby DannyBeane » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:38 am

jellydonut25 wrote:
ALLOSAURZ wrote:There is also a good chance that even if he does write a OH GODZILLA! WHAT TERRIBLE LANGUAGE script that so many people will tinker with it after he done that it will at least be watchable. In my scriptwriting class we are going over George Lucas's original treatment for Star Wars vs the actual shoot script and the difference between the two is like night and day.
which is why there's just as good of a chance that he's written phenomenal scripts in the past and they've been RUINED by the tinkerers later on...
And that is call probability.I think regardless of whether or not this film is horrible or awesome the worst fate would be for it to be mediocre.
DannyBeane
Burning Godzilla

Postby Gojiraknight » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:16 pm

ALLOSAURZ wrote:
jellydonut25 wrote:
And that is call probability.I think regardless of whether or not this film is horrible or awesome the worst fate would be for it to be mediocre.

No I think horrible is still far and away the worst fate that can befall this film, though mediocre wouldn't be too good either.
Monster Zero's "Most Naive Person About 'The Business'" for 7 years running!
Gojiraknight
Heisei Godzilla

Next

Return to Shin Godzilla and Beyond!