Toho should replace the man in a suit effects with CGI...

Discussion on Shin Godzilla and rumors, news, and speculation on other possible future Godzilla projects, including the Godzilla Anime project! Discuss them here!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby zekend01 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:34 am

kiryugoji04 wrote:I pray he will never go all-CGI. Instead, I'd much prefer to see the technique they're using for Where the Wild Things Are - suits overlayed with some CG touch-ups.



Yup. THAT.
"If you can take the hot lead enema, then you can cast the first stone." - Lenny Bruce
http://www.myspace.com/cretinfunk
http://www.myspace.com/prometheuscomplex
zekend01
Godzilla
 
Posts: 866
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2003 5:52 pm
Location: The Abyss

Postby lhb412 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:38 pm

Benjamin Haines wrote:People who want Godzilla to go all-CGI seem to have this idea of Godzilla looking real in the same way as the CGI in something like Jurassic Park or Transformers. That'll never happen. No American studio is going to touch Godzilla again. If any Godzilla movies are ever made in the future, they're going to be made by Toho, so any all-CGI Godzilla is going to look incredibly underwhelming. Imagine a full-length film featuring the CGI Godzilla from the beginning of Always 2. It's not going to be a pretty sight, no matter how many neck-twitchings or other lifelike ticks they give him.


Unless they contract a special effects house to create him, ala "The Host." And who knows how avaliable this kind of CGI technology will be in 10 years or so.
User avatar
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 15507
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2003 7:11 pm

Postby mr.negativity » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:41 am

From Variety Mar. 5, 2008:
Japan directors give CGI new spin - Manga, anime influence new effects style

MARK SCHILLING wrote:In the past decade, however, CG costs have come down drastically -- and Japanese filmmakers have come up with innovative ways to localize CG in live-action pics.

Instead of ripping off Hollywood, they are drawing inspiration from Japanese pop culture -- everything from anime and manga to the TV shows, commercials, games and musicvid clips that many Japanese helmers made before starting their feature careers (and, in many cases, still make).

They are also drawing on the long tradition of Japanese craftsmanship -- and obsession to detail.

The most successful is Takashi Yamazaki, who joined pioneering special effects house Shirogumi two decades ago, where he collected dozens of film and TV credits in the 1990s.

Yamazaki made his directing debut in 2000 with the "E.T."-esque "Juvenile" and followed up in 2002 with "Returner," a sci-fi thriller that sampled everything from "The Terminator" to "Transformer" robots.

Yamazaki's biggest hits, however, are "Always -- Sunset on Third Street" (2005) and its sequel "Always 2" (2007), nostalgic dramas based on a long-running manga by Ryohei Saigan about the denizens of a downtown Tokyo neighborhood in the late 1950s.

The cityscapes of the era have all but vanished, so Yamazaki and his staff had to laboriously build many of them from scratch -- or rather from pixels and miniatures. The baby boomers who remembered that lost world, and were impressed by the vividness of Yamazaki's re-creations, flocked to the "Always" pics. Together the two films have earned $73 million at the domestic B.O.


"It used to be that CG alone could lure audiences," Yamazaki says. "In (the "Always" films), though, CG is not a main draw -- instead the audience takes it for granted. It's a sign that CG has evolved. Today it's hard to imagine a commercial film being silent or black-and-white. In the same way, it's becoming harder to imagine one without CG."
User avatar
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 8484
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 7:27 am
Location: The Negative Zone

Postby Guardian7 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:45 pm

I think the mix idea is the best way to go (based on what has been said here already).
I would love to see a fully render Tokyo Stomp done in CGI. But is that a feasible or realistic option coming from TOHO?

Though I know this will never happen. After seeing Godzilla on Zone Fighter, I am surprised they never did a TV show with Godzilla. Not an anime, but a suitmation show. It isn't like all of the shows like Ultraman or Zone Fighter were all that bad. (Then we could have even more shows to watch)
Certainly it seems the acting was better in some of those TV shows than a majority of stuff from the series that followed the SHOWA one.

Again I would love to see Godzilla rendered fully with a capable CGI team.
But in the end I think a mix is what we will end up with at best. Which isn't a bad thing.
Manda of course is my favorite Kaijuu
Image
User avatar
Guardian7
Godzillasaurus
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:24 pm
Location: Ogasawara Island, MI

Postby Destroysall » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:35 pm

Guardian7 wrote:Again I would love to see Godzilla rendered fully with a capable CGI team.
But in the end I think a mix is what we will end up with at best. Which isn't a bad thing.


Godzilla done in Weta? :dunno:
uhh...
User avatar
Destroysall
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 2801
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:12 am
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Postby Guardian7 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:51 am

Has there ever been any kind of talks between outsourced CGI companies (such as WETA) and TOHO? or have any CGI companies tried to show an interest in doing stuff for TOHO (such as a Godzilla movie)
Someone out there has to have the skinny on this?
Manda of course is my favorite Kaijuu
Image
User avatar
Guardian7
Godzillasaurus
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:24 pm
Location: Ogasawara Island, MI

Postby gojira_fan » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:53 pm

Well I would imagine the costs of going with a major SFX studio might cause Toho to rethink, unless the wanted to spend more money on the project.


Although I'm sure there are some lesser known companies that could do CGI work that was just as effective as some of the major SFX studios.
gojira_fan
Godzilla
 
Posts: 662
Joined: Sat May 29, 2004 4:09 pm
Location: Deep in the Heart O' Texas

Postby Flame of Udin » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:37 pm

Kind of strange, back in 1998 when all the buzz about GINO was going around I kept thinking to myself how it would be great to have him as a suit but with CG enhancements and ever since wondered why noone has ever thought of it.

Then Where the Wild Things Are came out and I remember thinking to myself in the theater "FINALLY SOMEONE THOUGHT OF IT!"

I say if there is any way to go it is this way. Look how good it was done with animatronics, which was the big technological staple in it's day, in films like Biollante. Screw CG. And based off prior actions, I highly doubt Toho would shell out the cash to companies like WETA or ILM anyway. Companies like them charge thousands of dollars for a single shot.

(tidbit, there actually were suits for GINO, but not what I mean when I say suits with CG enhancements.)
User avatar
Flame of Udin
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1825
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 8:53 pm
Location: Delray Beach, Florida

Postby mr.negativity » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:25 am

Why hasn't Toho teamed up with Tsuburaya Productions on a Godzilla movie?
User avatar
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 8484
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 7:27 am
Location: The Negative Zone

Postby Flame of Udin » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:23 pm

mr.negativity wrote:Why hasn't Toho teamed up with Tsuburaya Productions on a Godzilla movie?


Because they don't really need to?
User avatar
Flame of Udin
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1825
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 8:53 pm
Location: Delray Beach, Florida

Re: Toho should replace the man in a suit effects with CGI..

Postby mr.negativity » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:06 pm

BAD:
Movie Review: GODZILLA Is Kind Of A Dream Come True
Evan Saathoff wrote:Speaking of the fights, holy "OH GODZILLA! WHAT TERRIBLE LANGUAGE!" they look awesome. I don't totally understand how this was achieved, but the monster violence in Godzilla manages to look both state of the art and traditional at the same time. This is especially true any time Godzilla wrestles with the smaller flying monster. It's a bit awkward and weird and stilted and amazing. This Godzilla uses fighting moves I've seen in other Godzilla movies but never expected to encounter in this supposedly more serious iteration. I couldn't believe my eyes and I can't wait to rewatch this stuff over and over in the future. Despite all the Hollywood actors and Hollywood money, this is a film that LOVES being a Godzilla movie.


BAD:
GODZILLA (2014) Movie Review: Using CGI To Make Man-In-Suit
Gareth Edwards' GODZILLA is in the grandest Toho tradition.
Devin Faraci wrote:The final battle is a masterpiece of kaiju action. I don’t know what the general audience will make of it, as it’s absolute classic monster wrestling. Some of the shots of the flying MUTO look like they were achieved with a guy on a wire, and it’s wonderful. Edwards understands the tone exactly, knows that we want wide angle shots of monsters hitting each other and grappling for dominance, not quick cuts and shaky confusion obscured by debris and smoke. When Godzilla charged up his atomic breath I actually burst into spontaneous applause. If you like these kinds of movies this scene will be worth the price of admission alone.


CBM:
Watch The Epic "Final Battle" From Gareth Edwards' GODZILLA
User avatar
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 8484
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 7:27 am
Location: The Negative Zone

Re: Toho should replace the man in a suit effects with CGI..

Postby lhb412 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:14 pm

^I agree wholeheartedly with those guys. Despite the greater range of movement with CGI Godzilla always looked, felt, acted like Godzilla. I never felt 'this is a new version of Godzilla' or any distance like that, it just was Godzilla.

The idea of basing a lot of Godzilla's movements (and posture and build) on bears was particularly genius, because Nakajima and Satsuma have both said bears were an influence in their performances as Godzilla. The FX people went straight to the source.
User avatar
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 15507
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2003 7:11 pm

Re: Toho should replace the man in a suit effects with CGI..

Postby Mac » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:19 am

The special effects in Godzilla (2014) were fairly dodgy, which is disheartening considering the easy routes they went with the footage (i.e. the majority of the CGI is 'filmed' at night, MUTO is black with little texture). There's not even that much of it. Where did the $160 million go?

Give me suit effects any day.
The new Gamera will be worse than Super Monster.
Image
User avatar
Mac
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1339
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:40 pm

Re: Toho should replace the man in a suit effects with CGI..

Postby tbeasley » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:02 am

I hardly think those are easy routes, and there are more CG elements in the movie than the monsters. I remember reading Edwards saying how he felt the shots would be easier to do compared to most blockbusters but the effects guys told him these were actually far more difficult because the individual shots went on longer.

As for the MUTOS, don't let the simple red and black toys fool you -
Image
~ Tyler

Exterminate all rational thought.
User avatar
tbeasley
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1020
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:44 pm
Location: the tbunker

Re: Toho should replace the man in a suit effects with CGI..

Postby Hybrid Gojira » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:23 am

Mac wrote:The special effects in Godzilla (2014) were fairly dodgy, which is disheartening considering the easy routes they went with the footage (i.e. the majority of the CGI is 'filmed' at night, MUTO is black with little texture). There's not even that much of it. Where did the $160 million go?

Give me suit effects any day.


I never once thought the mutos looked bad or untextured. I do agree that there are too many night scenes. Honestly the fight scenes were hard to see because of it...the recent youtube extended fight scene vid (that has now been made private) gave me a whole new appreciation for Godzilla in this film. The sheer bulk and mass of him is handled well, and even though these are CGI monsters, they never felt too cartoony or unnatural (with the one exception being the bridge scene - Godzilla moved kind of awkwardly).

I love suitmation, but there is a place for a CGI Godzilla...especially when it is handled as well as it was in Godzilla 2014.
Image
Kaiju Transmissions Podcast Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/kaijutransmissionspodcast
User avatar
Hybrid Gojira
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 4372
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2003 1:04 pm
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

Postby Benjamin Haines » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:51 am

Five years ago, I wrote:People who want Godzilla to go all-CGI seem to have this idea of Godzilla looking real in the same way as the CGI in something like Jurassic Park or Transformers. That'll never happen. No American studio is going to touch Godzilla again. If any Godzilla movies are ever made in the future, they're going to be made by Toho, so any all-CGI Godzilla is going to look incredibly underwhelming. Imagine a full-length film featuring the CGI Godzilla from the beginning of Always 2. It's not going to be a pretty sight, no matter how many neck-twitchings or other lifelike ticks they give him.


I'm so glad I was wrong about another Hollywood studio having a go at Godzilla. I thought the special effects in G'14 were very strong and they totally nailed the movements of the monsters. Godzilla lumbers around in a mostly erect stance, gets scrappy in close combat without losing his bearlike posture, uses his hands like a person, and shows plenty of personality and reaction in his face. The MUTOs blend insectoid and canine-esque motions to make for a truly imposing stance as they move about. While I'm a sucker for practical effects and I would have loved to have seen some large-scale animatronics incorporated here, they really managed to pull it off with all-CGI kaiju.

However, at this point in time, I still think seeing a CGI Godzilla produced entirely by Toho would be an utter disaster to behold. Maybe a decade from now, if Toho decides to start making Godzilla movies again once Legendary is done with the franchise, they'll have the resources to produce better-quality CGI with their limited budgets. But a feature-length Godzilla movie with effects like the Always 2 intro? They'd be better off just sticking with suits.
Image
User avatar
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 5436
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: Toho should replace the man in a suit effects with CGI..

Postby Dr Kain » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:53 pm

The problem is, Japanese movie budgets don't even get half as much to make a movie as some of our low budget movies. As such, they don't have the ability to make a CGI Godzilla and make it look good. For them, a rubber suit is the better alternative. I just hope they are done with just having Godzilla stand there and take hits ala the 2002 Kiryu movie. I want them to start putting in as much effort to make everything look good like Kaneko did with GMK while also not rushing out a Godzilla movie ever year just because they think they can.
Image
User avatar
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 11703
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:00 pm
Location: Englewood CO but originally from Buffalo NY

Re: Toho should replace the man in a suit effects with CGI..

Postby Hybrid Gojira » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:54 pm

Dr Kain wrote:The problem is, Japanese movie budgets don't even get half as much to make a movie as some of our low budget movies. As such, they don't have the ability to make a CGI Godzilla and make it look good. For them, a rubber suit is the better alternative. I just hope they are done with just having Godzilla stand there and take hits ala the 2002 Kiryu movie. I want them to start putting in as much effort to make everything look good like Kaneko did with GMK while also not rushing out a Godzilla movie ever year just because they think they can.


Even GMK was rushed, but I agree the 2002 Godzilla film always irked me because G just stood around while getting blasted.
Image
Kaiju Transmissions Podcast Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/kaijutransmissionspodcast
User avatar
Hybrid Gojira
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 4372
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2003 1:04 pm
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

Re: Toho should replace the man in a suit effects with CGI..

Postby mr.negativity » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:35 pm

Hybrid Gojira wrote:
Dr Kain wrote:The problem is, Japanese movie budgets don't even get half as much to make a movie as some of our low budget movies. As such, they don't have the ability to make a CGI Godzilla and make it look good. For them, a rubber suit is the better alternative. I just hope they are done with just having Godzilla stand there and take hits ala the 2002 Kiryu movie. I want them to start putting in as much effort to make everything look good like Kaneko did with GMK while also not rushing out a Godzilla movie ever year just because they think they can.


Even GMK was rushed, but I agree the 2002 Godzilla film always irked me because G just stood around while getting blasted.

2002 interview with Shusuke Kaneko conducted following release of G-M-K.
Covers his thoughts on the film and its production.
(Interviewers: Ed Godziszewski / Norman England):
Q: How would you characterize the main differences in making a film for Toho compared with making a film for Daiei or some other studio?

SK:
Between making Gamera at Daiei and Godzilla at Toho, the biggest difference is the amount of time we have to prepare. At Toho, we can only afford a short time for getting ready and for post production. Toho has their own theaters, so they want to release movies around New Years every year. Also, the Tokyo International Film Festival takes place early in November and they want a film ready to exhibit there, so as a result, filming time gets to be really short. That deadline is immovable. On the other hand, Daiei doesn’t have their own theaters, so they themselves can’t decide when they can release their films. They have to ask Toho to let them use their theaters. So they are in a weak position. As a matter of fact, when the director says that they can’t make a movie in a short time and they have a good reason, they understand. At Toho, their schedule is more important than what the director says. Toho has bigger budgets, they have more money, but Daiei can afford more time instead.

Q: So the director has more creative freedom at Daiei?

SK:
I can’t say clearly which is which, but about the schedule, yes, that is the weak point about working for Toho. They know it’s not the right way to do things, but still the schedule must stand. The director has more freedom at Daiei in that respect. Toho has their own theaters, so they can think their schedule is secure. But at Daiei when they released Gamera 3 in March of 1999, they had to ask Toho two years in advance! That’s how the schedule automatically gets to be more flexible... because of Daiei being in such a weak position, not because their way of production is so much better.

Q: So, Toho allows you more budget and resources, but at Daiei your resource is time. Which do you prefer?

SK:
For me, Daiei is better because time is more important. For Toho, they decided to make this film in January, so in total I had only 10 months for the whole job, while at Daiei I could get more than 1.5 years... almost 2 years to work on Gamera 3. Actually, I made another two films during the production time. Mr. Itoh was writing the script for part of the time, so I had nothing much to do. Of course I was checking with him and we were changing things. With Gamera 3, Mr. Itoh was struggling with the story...he just couldn’t make it work. Why? Because it was the third one, he wanted to create something new. It was the most difficult one.
User avatar
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 8484
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 7:27 am
Location: The Negative Zone

Re:

Postby KingKaiju » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:28 am

Benjamin Haines wrote:People who want Godzilla to go all-CGI seem to have this idea of Godzilla looking real in the same way as the CGI in something like Jurassic Park or Transformers. That'll never happen. No American studio is going to touch Godzilla again. If any Godzilla movies are ever made in the future, they're going to be made by Toho, so any all-CGI Godzilla is going to look incredibly underwhelming. Imagine a full-length film featuring the CGI Godzilla from the beginning of Always 2. It's not going to be a pretty sight, no matter how many neck-twitchings or other lifelike ticks they give him.


THIS!!

Let's face it, Toho's a nice movie company, but it isn't WB, Universal, or one of these massive movie companies with millions of dollars to spend. I'm sure they can tweak and improve things, assuming that they have the budget, but we'll NEVER get a the special effects that we got in the 2014 film, or even the 1998 film, from a Toho made Godzilla movie, which is fine. I've said it a million times before, part of the fun of these Godzilla movies is the ridiculous cheesiness that comes with them, especially when you notice that the creators themselves have moments where they get that you shouldn't be taking these movies super seriously. So why not throw a little cheese in there? Not everything needs to be super serious and dark... So long as we don't go back to 70's silliness.


edit: On a side note... Does anyone know what the budget was with most the Heisei films, and whether or not they were fairly successful at the Japanese Box Office?
User avatar
KingKaiju
Godzilla Jr.
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:25 pm

Re: Re:

Postby Pkmatrix » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:28 am

KingKaiju wrote:edit: On a side note... Does anyone know what the budget was with most the Heisei films, and whether or not they were fairly successful at the Japanese Box Office?


From Toho Kingdom:

The Return of Godzilla
Budget: $6,250,000
Attendance: 3,200,000
Earned: ¥2,550,000,000 / $11,000,000

Godzilla vs. Biollante
Budget: ¥700,000,000 / $5,000,000
Attendance: 2,000,000
Earned: ¥1,040,000,000 / $7,000,000

Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah
Budget: ¥1,500,000,000 / $12,000,000
Attendance: 2,700,000
Earned: ¥1,450,000,000 / $11,000,000

Godzilla vs. Mothra
Budget: N/A
Attendance: 4,200,000
Earned: ¥2,220,000,000 / $20,000,000

Godzilla vs. Super-Mechagodzilla
Budget: ¥1,000,000,000 / $9,500,000
Attendance: 3,800,000
Earned: ¥1,870,000,000 / $18,000,000

Godzilla vs. Space Godzilla
Budget: ¥1,000,000,000 / $10,300,000
Attendance: 3,400,000
Earned: ¥1,650,000,000 / $20,000,000

Godzilla vs. Destroyah
Budget: ¥1,000,000,000 / $10,000,000
Attendance: 4,000,000
Earned: ¥2,000,000,000 / $18,000,000

What I've heard is that GvM'92 thru Destroyah were all hits at the box office and big money makers for Toho. Also, the Toho Godzilla with the biggest budget was Final Wars (¥2,000,000,000 / $19,500,000).
Pkmatrix
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1080
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2003 5:17 pm
Location: New Jersey, USA

Re: Re:

Postby KingKaiju » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:10 pm

Pkmatrix wrote:
KingKaiju wrote:edit: On a side note... Does anyone know what the budget was with most the Heisei films, and whether or not they were fairly successful at the Japanese Box Office?


From Toho Kingdom:

The Return of Godzilla
Budget: $6,250,000
Attendance: 3,200,000
Earned: ¥2,550,000,000 / $11,000,000

Godzilla vs. Biollante
Budget: ¥700,000,000 / $5,000,000
Attendance: 2,000,000
Earned: ¥1,040,000,000 / $7,000,000

Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah
Budget: ¥1,500,000,000 / $12,000,000
Attendance: 2,700,000
Earned: ¥1,450,000,000 / $11,000,000

Godzilla vs. Mothra
Budget: N/A
Attendance: 4,200,000
Earned: ¥2,220,000,000 / $20,000,000

Godzilla vs. Super-Mechagodzilla
Budget: ¥1,000,000,000 / $9,500,000
Attendance: 3,800,000
Earned: ¥1,870,000,000 / $18,000,000

Godzilla vs. Space Godzilla
Budget: ¥1,000,000,000 / $10,300,000
Attendance: 3,400,000
Earned: ¥1,650,000,000 / $20,000,000

Godzilla vs. Destroyah
Budget: ¥1,000,000,000 / $10,000,000
Attendance: 4,000,000
Earned: ¥2,000,000,000 / $18,000,000

What I've heard is that GvM'92 thru Destroyah were all hits at the box office and big money makers for Toho. Also, the Toho Godzilla with the biggest budget was Final Wars (¥2,000,000,000 / $19,500,000).


Thanks for the info! It's no wonder Toho went back to their comfort zone with Mothra, MG, and Ghidorah. That Biollante movie did NOT do well...
User avatar
KingKaiju
Godzilla Jr.
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:25 pm

Re: Re:

Postby Russzilla » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:19 pm

KingKaiju wrote:
Pkmatrix wrote:
KingKaiju wrote:edit: On a side note... Does anyone know what the budget was with most the Heisei films, and whether or not they were fairly successful at the Japanese Box Office?


From Toho Kingdom:

The Return of Godzilla
Budget: $6,250,000
Attendance: 3,200,000
Earned: ¥2,550,000,000 / $11,000,000

Godzilla vs. Biollante
Budget: ¥700,000,000 / $5,000,000
Attendance: 2,000,000
Earned: ¥1,040,000,000 / $7,000,000

Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah
Budget: ¥1,500,000,000 / $12,000,000
Attendance: 2,700,000
Earned: ¥1,450,000,000 / $11,000,000

Godzilla vs. Mothra
Budget: N/A
Attendance: 4,200,000
Earned: ¥2,220,000,000 / $20,000,000

Godzilla vs. Super-Mechagodzilla
Budget: ¥1,000,000,000 / $9,500,000
Attendance: 3,800,000
Earned: ¥1,870,000,000 / $18,000,000

Godzilla vs. Space Godzilla
Budget: ¥1,000,000,000 / $10,300,000
Attendance: 3,400,000
Earned: ¥1,650,000,000 / $20,000,000

Godzilla vs. Destroyah
Budget: ¥1,000,000,000 / $10,000,000
Attendance: 4,000,000
Earned: ¥2,000,000,000 / $18,000,000

What I've heard is that GvM'92 thru Destroyah were all hits at the box office and big money makers for Toho. Also, the Toho Godzilla with the biggest budget was Final Wars (¥2,000,000,000 / $19,500,000).


Thanks for the info! It's no wonder Toho went back to their comfort zone with Mothra, MG, and Ghidorah. That Biollante movie did NOT do well...

But yet it was voted the Number 1 Godzilla movie by Godzilla fans over in Japan.
Russzilla
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1299
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:31 pm
Location: London, KY via Boston/Philadelphia

Re: Re:

Postby Legion » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:14 am

Russzilla wrote:But yet it was voted the Number 1 Godzilla movie by Godzilla fans over in Japan.


Something I take a grain of salt. You could do the exact same thing over here, but if you pick the wrong group of people to ask (say, the folks who frequent TK or sites like that) you're bound to get a different result than if you did the same thing here, or on the FB groups I frequent. If you only polled Godzilla fans 17 and under in this country, you'll most likely end up with GFW at the top of the list. Just because Biollante came on top in that poll doesn't necessarily mean it's automatically the favorite film in Japan.
http://legion1979.tumblr.com/

Hello, Nice Warners! - A Thorough Analysis of Every Animaniacs Episode
Legion
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 7303
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2003 8:11 pm
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Re:

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:38 am

Russzilla wrote:But yet it was voted the Number 1 Godzilla movie by Godzilla fans over in Japan.


I’ve seen the whole “GvsBiollante was recently voted by Japanese fans as da best Godzilla film eva, so that justifies why we should get mostly Heisei stuff in the SH line and video games! It's proof Japanese fans like the Heisei series da best!” rhetoric being thrown around a lot lately (especially on the other board). Basically, my Japanese GF said that these sorts of "fan poll" TV events happen on various Japanese channels all the time for various genres, and that these “fan movie votes” are, for the most part, a bunch of horseshit.

In this case, a station (I forgot which one, as I barely watch TV over here as I find the Japanese variety shows and “talent” that dominate the airwaves over here to be nearly intolerable to stomach for more than a few minutes) held a 55-hour “G marathon” with quite a bit of hoopla surrounding it. In the weeks leading up to it, there were tons of advertisements on it, with Kawakita being the only SFX director interviewed in every single G-related program (with no Eiichi Asada, Kenji Suzuki, etc. in sight….naturally, we fans wouldn’t want to hear their tales/experiences in favor of Kawakita’s same ol' BS again, now would we? :roll: ). Even my gf, who has no interest whatsoever in this genre (and kudos to her, as she’s put up with a lot of my Godzilla fanboy geekiness the last few months. She’s been very supportive and helpful in recording some really awesome G-related TV specials), was making fun of how often he would pop up in these G-related specials (Mata???!!! shitsukoi! Sono hito wa sugoi ira ira! - Wow, this guy again??! He is so persistent and annoying”). Seriously, you guys have no idea how much he inserts himself into everything G-related over here…it has been a real eye-opener for me.

Anyways, to make a long story short, Japanese channels are extraordinarily meticulous in how they their programs in terms of running times, commercial breaks, and so on. So the whole “we left the schedule open for the fans’ voting results” doesn’t really add up, considering all the films have different running times. I thought that saying it’s “rigged” was far -fetch, but my GF (and few other Japanese fans who are acquaintances of mine) said that it’s common knowledge that these movie "polls" are often pre-determined well ahead of time and usually rigged (again, their words, not mine). Combined with you-know-who constantly showing up to keep himself and his films relevant, and the result is more than a little suspect. It's not worth putting a lot of stock in the result....

Legion wrote:Something I take a grain of salt. You could do the exact same thing over here, but if you pick the wrong group of people to ask (say, the folks who frequent TK or sites like that) you're bound to get a different result than if you did the same thing here, or on the FB groups I frequent. If you only polled Godzilla fans 17 and under in this country, you'll most likely end up with GFW at the top of the list. Just because Biollante came on top in that poll doesn't necessarily mean it's automatically the favorite film in Japan.


Pretty much spot on....I'm sure numerous Japanese fans probably didn’t even participate in this voting process. Look no further than some of the silly polls on the other forums where idiotic results such as “Super Godzilla” or “GINO” get voted as the top figures which the fandom wants to see in the SH line....uh huh, suuuuuurrrrrreeee.....
Last edited by ebirahsmeg1 on Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
GIANTC0ND0R!!!!!!!! :eek:

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
User avatar
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 2367
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 1:10 am
Location: Kanto Region, JAPAN

PreviousNext

Return to Shin Godzilla and Beyond!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests