Fan Boys have to get hurt..in order for a Epic Godzilla

Discussion on Shin Godzilla and rumors, news, and speculation on other possible future Godzilla projects, including the Godzilla Anime project! Discuss them here!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby kidnicky » Fri May 23, 2008 4:43 pm

Legion wrote:
kidnicky wrote:Godzilla Final Wars is the "darkest" entry in the series to date. It has fighting,shooting,martial arts,swearing,etc. In other words,it's everything you guys supposedly want.

And it was the biggest disaster (both creatively and finanically) in the series' entire 50 year history, losing more money than any Godzilla film.

And I still wouldn't call it a very dark film. Fighting, martial arts and swearing doesn't make a film "dark".

That's my point!
:)
Twitter rxchrisg
kidnicky
Burning Godzilla

Postby ryuuseipro » Fri May 23, 2008 4:55 pm

Legion wrote:
kidnicky wrote:Godzilla Final Wars is the "darkest" entry in the series to date. It has fighting,shooting,martial arts,swearing,etc. In other words,it's everything you guys supposedly want.

And it was the biggest disaster (both creatively and finanically) in the series' entire 50 year history, losing more money than any Godzilla film.

And I still wouldn't call it a very dark film. Fighting, martial arts and swearing doesn't make a film "dark".

Besides, you could find those in spades in the later Showa Godzilla series! Kung-fu fighting Godzilla, and a bunch of young swearing mod hipsters in turtlenecks and bellbottoms (not unlike any in a Japanese superhero show from the same period)!
-John Cassidy
Richmond, VA
http://ryuuseipro.livejournal.com/

"The monster a child knows best and is most concerned with [is] the monster he feels or fears himself to be." -Bruno Bettelheim
ryuuseipro
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Xenorama » Fri May 23, 2008 4:58 pm

August wrote:People didn't stay away from the silly and stupid GODZILLA VS. MEGALON when it was released in the US in 1976 -- and it was a big box office hit.

while i won't call it stupid, weburger left out this point from August as well.

David (saw it twice in the theaters)
Xenorama
Monster 01

Postby kiryugoji04 » Fri May 23, 2008 4:58 pm

Hell, the Showa films are bloodier than anything post-80s! :lol:

Also, we[numbers], please get a dictionary and check your spelling. I see "opps" one more time I think I might start hurting myself. >>
Artisanal Practical Effects & Kaiju Content @Xenofauna
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Fri May 23, 2008 5:13 pm

I don't know. To me, Godzilla is no cheesier than Star Wars, King Kong, Star Trek, Indiana Jones, Spider-Man, etc. Godzilla, like all those films/series are about fun and spectacle (something that's hard to achieve if it takes itself too seriously). All of those have a certain degree of "cheesiness" to them and that's not a bad thing at all. It doesn't take itself completely seriously and that's part of the appeal and charm in most of these films. They know they are escapist fun. That doesn't mean a darker Godzilla story can't be good.. it can and it has. But to say its what Toho NEEDS to do is stupid and to say its the only way a Godzilla movie can work is stupid. If you don't like the series because its not serious or dark enough for you, then Godzilla just ain't for you and that's all there is to it. You'll be lucky if there's even 3 Godzilla movies you can enjoy if that's all you want in them. If you are looking for serious and dark monster films, go with something like the Alien franchise. Godzilla has never been about that.
Last edited by MouthForWar on Fri May 23, 2008 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby KaijuHQ » Fri May 23, 2008 5:26 pm

Anyone else notice how the initial poster in this thread has yet to reply to anything since he started this repeat topic? Think he's just doing this to get a reaction out of us? Just a thought (paranoia is fun). :P
KaijuHQ
Godzilla

Re: Thank you Mac and Thank you August

Postby Legion » Fri May 23, 2008 5:31 pm

Whopper boy said:

Yes Godzilla needs to lay low, but there should be a Mothra movie, Rodan Movie, Dogra movie etc. in order to build up to renew the Godzilla series.

Do some research. If Toho's biggest star and money maker needs a rest, what makes you think movies starring secondary or tertiary kaiju are going do well right now? Where were you in the late 90s when Toho released three Mothra films in a row and each of them failed to set the box office on fire. How about that Gamera movie that came out two years ago? I don't recall that film doing all that well either. The way things are right now a solo Rodan, Dogora or (god forbid) another Mothra film will probably perform badly at the box office, further convincing Toho that any new kaiju films are a bad idea.

Seriously, do you ever really read what others are saying here? Or are you just skimming through everyone's posts looking for those one or two little little bits of info that you think will somehow help you prove your point. No matter what you've thrown at us, myself, MouthForWar, Ben, August, Jordan and everyone else keep having to explain to you why you have no idea what your talking about. You don't have a leg to stand on.

Today is my birthday. The big 2-9. So please make my birthday wish come truth and just stop talking. I'd appreciate that.
http://legion1979.tumblr.com/

Hello, Nice Warners! - A Thorough Analysis of Every Animaniacs Episode
Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby SciFi Geek » Fri May 23, 2008 5:48 pm

The sweet bitter irony is that Godzilla vs. Megalon, considered the ''worst'' of the series, is the most widely seen Godzilla movie here in the US due to it being in public domain for so many years. Godzilla became ''infamous'' in the 1970s because the Japanese were now focusing on television shows and tokatsu like Ultraman. Most hit movies in Japan in the 1970s were from International markets. Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't theater attendances in Japan in the 1970s very, very low?

Honestly, the 70s Godzilla movies get so much sh*t they don't deserve. I can eaily watch the Godzilla movies of 1971-1975 more than the majority of the Showa series. And hey, atleast the monsters in those movies were new!
SciFi Geek
Little Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Fri May 23, 2008 5:54 pm

SciFi Geek wrote:The sweet bitter irony is that Godzilla vs. Megalon, considered the ''worst'' of the series, is the most widely seen Godzilla movie here in the US due to it being in public domain for so many years. Godzilla became ''infamous'' in the 1970s because the Japanese were now focusing on television shows and tokatsu like Ultraman. Most hit movies in Japan in the 1970s were from International markets. Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't theater attendances in Japan in the 1970s very, very low?

Honestly, the 70s Godzilla movies get so much sh*t they don't deserve. I can eaily watch the Godzilla movies of 1971-1975 more than the majority of the Showa series. And hey, atleast the monsters in those movies were new!

The Japanese film industry as a whole was literally on the verge of extinction in the 70s. Kurosawa couldn't even get work and had to go to Russia to make a movie.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby kidnicky » Fri May 23, 2008 6:01 pm

You know,I can't even begin to fathom a scenario where Toho greenlights a new Dogora movie,unless it was possibly some hour long straight-to-DVD type thing. Even that would be pushing it.
Twitter rxchrisg
kidnicky
Burning Godzilla

Postby Xenorama » Fri May 23, 2008 6:17 pm

and all of us would still watch it! :lol:

David
Xenorama
Monster 01

Postby kidnicky » Fri May 23, 2008 7:35 pm

Well,yeah,but the fact that the 30 or so of us who regularly post here would watch "GorosaurusXDogora:Victory! Two Giants Decisive Battle" doesn't mean it would be profitable for Toho!
Twitter rxchrisg
kidnicky
Burning Godzilla

Postby August » Fri May 23, 2008 8:15 pm

Production Costs vs. Profits doesn't add up for the success of a direct-to-video kaiju eiga series. If so, Toho would have cranked out a dozen or so of them during the height of Godzillamania in the 1980s (Video Rentals/Sales for the series were at an all-time high, and so was the direct-to-video market in Japan; which is how anime survived the rough times during the same period).
August Ragone
Showa GAMERA Special Features Producer
BlogTHE GOOD, THE BAD AND GODZILLA
August
Burning Godzilla

Postby gojira_fan » Fri May 23, 2008 8:49 pm

Legion wrote:.

Today is my birthday. The big 2-9. So please make my birthday wish come truth and just stop talking. I'd appreciate that.

Well Happy Birthday!!!
gojira_fan
Godzilla

Postby Tyler E. Martin » Fri May 23, 2008 9:31 pm

Aye. Happy birthday, Legion. I kind of hope your wish comes true, but at the same time it's kind of fun to watch this thing go back and forth. :P
Tyler E. Martin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby kidnicky » Fri May 23, 2008 9:52 pm

August wrote:Production Costs vs. Profits doesn't add up for the success of a direct-to-video kaiju eiga series. If so, Toho would have cranked out a dozen or so of them during the height of Godzillamania in the 1980s (Video Rentals/Sales for the series were at an all-time high, and so was the direct-to-video market in Japan; which is how anime survived the rough times during the same period).

I was only joking.
On the serious side,I don't understand how even anime OVAs are profitable. They usually have pretty high production values.
Twitter rxchrisg
kidnicky
Burning Godzilla

Postby August » Fri May 23, 2008 10:05 pm

Animation is cheaper to produce than live action. :)
August Ragone
Showa GAMERA Special Features Producer
BlogTHE GOOD, THE BAD AND GODZILLA
August
Burning Godzilla

Postby we77964 » Sat May 24, 2008 6:22 am

ryuuseipro wrote:Besides, you could find those in spades in the later Showa Godzilla series! Kung-fu fighting Godzilla, and a bunch of young swearing mod hipsters in turtlenecks and bellbottoms (not unlike any in a Japanese superhero show from the same period)!

LOL LOL LOL
Xenorama wrote:
August wrote:People didn't stay away from the silly and stupid GODZILLA VS. MEGALON when it was released in the US in 1976 -- and it was a big box office hit.

I left it out because I have a fondness about Megalon. So whats your point?
kiryugoji04 wrote:Hell, the Showa films are bloodier than anything post-80s! :lol:

Also, we[numbers], please get a dictionary and check your spelling. I see "opps" one more time I think I might start hurting myself. >>

OPPS OPPS OPPS OPPS OPPPS OPPPY POOP.
Legion wrote: Do some research. If Toho's biggest star and money maker needs a rest, what makes you think movies starring secondary or tertiary kaiju are going do well right now? Where were you in the late 90s when Toho released three Mothra films in a row and each of them failed to set the box office on fire. How about that Gamera movie that came out two years ago? I don't recall that film doing all that well either. The way things are right now a solo Rodan, Dogora or (god forbid) another Mothra film will probably perform badly at the box office, further convincing Toho that any new kaiju films are a bad idea.
The Mothra series of the 90‘s SUCKS @$$, that’s they fail. Toho didn’t use wise business sense. If they would make a good and more appealing Mothra series. They would have left out the kiddie stuff. They should have continued from the Godzilla series or even a direct sequel to Mothra. Come up with something better.
Legion wrote: Seriously, do you ever really read what others are saying here? Or are you just skimming through everyone's posts looking for those one or two little little bits of info that you think will somehow help you prove your point. No matter what you've thrown at us, myself, MouthForWar, Ben, August, Jordan and everyone else keep having to explain to you why you have no idea what your talking about. You don't have a leg to stand on.

Unlike you and others , Legion I tend to think outside the box. I will give my opinion whether you like it or not. Second, I only continue to voice my opinion because of your harshness.

Now do that research that.
we77964
Godzilla Jr.

Postby MouthForWar » Sat May 24, 2008 6:34 am

we77964 wrote:
ryuuseipro wrote:Besides, you could find those in spades in the later Showa Godzilla series! Kung-fu fighting Godzilla, and a bunch of young swearing mod hipsters in turtlenecks and bellbottoms (not unlike any in a Japanese superhero show from the same period)!

LOL LOL LOL
Xenorama wrote:

I left it out because I have a fondness about Megalon. So whats your point?
kiryugoji04 wrote:Hell, the Showa films are bloodier than anything post-80s! :lol:

OPPS OPPS OPPS OPPS OPPPS OPPPY POOP.
Legion wrote: Do some research. If Toho's biggest star and money maker needs a rest, what makes you think movies starring secondary or tertiary kaiju are going do well right now? Where were you in the late 90s when Toho released three Mothra films in a row and each of them failed to set the box office on fire. How about that Gamera movie that came out two years ago? I don't recall that film doing all that well either. The way things are right now a solo Rodan, Dogora or (god forbid) another Mothra film will probably perform badly at the box office, further convincing Toho that any new kaiju films are a bad idea.
The Mothra series of the 90‘s SUCKS @$$, that’s they fail. Toho didn’t use wise business sense. If they would make a good and more appealing Mothra series. They would have left out the kiddie stuff. They should have continued from the Godzilla series or even a direct sequel to Mothra. Come up with something better.
Legion wrote: Seriously, do you ever really read what others are saying here? Or are you just skimming through everyone's posts looking for those one or two little little bits of info that you think will somehow help you prove your point. No matter what you've thrown at us, myself, MouthForWar, Ben, August, Jordan and everyone else keep having to explain to you why you have no idea what your talking about. You don't have a leg to stand on.

Unlike you and others , Legion I tend to think outside the box. I will give my opinion whether you like it or not. Second, I only continue to voice my opinion because of your harshness.

Now do that research that.

Hey look everyone, another post that makes no sense.

Who saw that one coming?
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby kidnicky » Sat May 24, 2008 9:00 am

Now do that research THAT!!!!!

You're right about one thing,you DO think pretty far outside the box. :)
Twitter rxchrisg
kidnicky
Burning Godzilla

Postby Mac » Sat May 24, 2008 9:20 am

The Mothra series of the 90‘s SUCKS @$$, that’s they fail

Godzilla vs Mothra, and Godzilla vs Destroyah were terrible, but they were still the top grossing Japanese film for their respective year.
The new Gamera will be worse than Super Monster.
Mac
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Legion » Sat May 24, 2008 9:42 am

Mac wrote:

Godzilla vs Mothra, and Godzilla vs Destroyah were terrible, but they were still the top grossing Japanese film for their respective year.

He's not talking about the Heisei Godzilla films, here's talking about those Mothra films released between 1996 and 1998.

I echo MouthForWar. That was yet again another post that didn't make a lick of sense. Doo Whop Jr, if at this point your just posting nonsense just for the sake of arguing with everyone else...well...that's just really sad.
http://legion1979.tumblr.com/

Hello, Nice Warners! - A Thorough Analysis of Every Animaniacs Episode
Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby SciFi Geek » Sat May 24, 2008 9:47 am

People take a radioactive dinosaur spawned from nuclear testing too serious. I'll go out on a limb and say the only serious Godzilla film is the original one. Or GMK. Yet, those movies, like all kaiju films, have their moments of cheese IMHO.
SciFi Geek
Little Godzilla

Postby HydroGojira » Sat May 24, 2008 9:51 am

KaijuHQ wrote:Anyone else notice how the initial poster in this thread has yet to reply to anything since he started this repeat topic? Think he's just doing this to get a reaction out of us? Just a thought (paranoia is fun). :P

No actually the original poster forgets he even made this thread and was off doing memorial day stuff

The person above you said
"Well if thats what you want in a monster movie go watch aliens"

No

I got 500 dollars worth of godzilla tatto's on me, i'm not going to give up the good fight for a respectable godzilla movie

lol thats all I want, I want at least one movie, that gets the respect the Big G deserves.

I gotta go do some yard, work, I will get back to this as soon as possible, I'll reply to all insults, but please I ask, do not go over board and get my thread closed, I know its easy to get mad at the mods here cause they act like gods from my olympus, but bare with me, lets all get on the right track here.

lol I actually feel like we the people can do something about this.
HydroGojira
Godzilla Egg

Postby HydroGojira » Sat May 24, 2008 9:52 am

Mac wrote:

Godzilla Vs Destroyah is in my top 3 of Godzilla Films
Right Behind Terror of Mechagodzilla and Ghidorah The Three Headed Monster
HydroGojira
Godzilla Egg

PreviousNext

Return to Shin Godzilla and Beyond!